Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Borrovan posted:

Anything that wasn't deducted straight from benefits or hoovered up by predatory brokers would be negated anyway when most of the population immediately starts selling all of their miles every year and markets adjust to suck the extra money straight back off them (much like UBI without rent/price controls). The only effect would be that only rich people can travel at all, which they continue to do literally all they want.

Travel certificates (every citizen has x miles free per year) much like carbon certificates would work if business travelers also need to participate. It would actually provide a good indirect tax on businesses. Rich people don't care either way.

I don't see why travel prices themselves would increase, given that demand is more likely to drop - as long as the amount of miles is enough for normal people to do their vacations. The lowest demand elasticity (and largest slice of demand) are business travelers (see: business class tickets). In the first round, they'd pay. I don't think second round effects would eliminate any income advantage gained by selling one's miles to KPMG and BCG or whatever.

However, lol if you think that this would work politically. If at all, it would exclude business travel, which would mean it won't work at all and will be tax on non-rich people.

As always, none of this concerns rich people in any way.

Edit: Your thesis that any redistribution measures don't work without price control is a tad pessimistic. It's not a binary thing. Yeah, some costs will inflate prices, but redistribution is still a good thing.

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It’s only gonna get worse as vaccinations continue to ramp up, things reopen, and we return to some degree of normality while the Tories crow about it.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Z the IVth posted:

Doing my insurance today and I've just found out that "Spiderman" is a choice of profession.

Pray tell what need does Spiderman have for car insurance?

obviously

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

crispix posted:

by way of reconciliation as i seem to have pissed off some people today i will share with you all some photographs that i took (using the camera built into my mobile-telephone) on my walk today. i hope that those of you who did not get to have a lovely walk today will get some enjoyment from seeing photographs taken during my lovely walk on your computer screen/monitor/Visual Display Unit there

https://imgur.com/a/ydcw2Ma

You run in trousers? Wimp.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just stop bailing out airlines the travel issue will correct itself when they all go bust.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rich people would just get their accountant to declare them as a box of meat for tax purposes, and then have their private jet declared as a freight vehicle, or something equally stupid.

You can't create legislation around this because rich wankers will just lobby to get an exception made so they can circumvent it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You run in trousers? Wimp.

i'm very body-shy tbh, i don't like people seeing my legs or my bare chest or that

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I enjoyed your pictures crispix, thank you for posting them.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Rich people would just get their accountant to declare them as a box of meat for tax purposes, and then have their private jet declared as a freight vehicle, or something equally stupid.

You can't create legislation around this because rich wankers will just lobby to get an exception made so they can circumvent it.

Box of meat is perfect for making into buns.

Mmm meat buns.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I enjoyed these photos and also the descriptions.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Rich people would just get their accountant to declare them as a box of meat for tax purposes,
I'm fine with this :chef:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

I have long wanted to force all cruise ships to be renamed The Diarrhea Princess and for those who still go on them to be put on a list, sort of like the sex offenders' register but for grossly thoughtless people instead

calm yourself down mate, i was just saying it's a good thing to remember that there are people out there experiencing worse

i'm the sort of person who is grateful for what i have, i suppose, like being able to sleep in a warm bed and not having to worry about seeing my loved ones getting their heads chopped off in the street

no matter how hard i try i can never commit the correct spelling of diarrhea to memory and i have to google it quite often and sometimes i wonder if their algorithm has me pegged (lol) as having a bowel problem

I’m extremely grateful for what I have. I have perspective. That doesn’t stop me from wanting this loving lockdown to end and to go on holiday. Sure, sometimes people whinging about not being able to go on holiday are NOT aware of how comparatively fortunate they are, but wanting a holiday doesn’t axiomatically mean that all of those people lack perspective.

Anyway, I am an excellent speller and am also frequently baffled by how to spell diarrhoea. Although I did just get it right!

Whoops, didn’t realise the thread had moved on. Didn’t intend to reopen the argument.

therattle fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 13, 2021

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Dire rear

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

therattle posted:

Anyway, I am an excellent speller and am also frequently baffled by how to spell diarrhoea. Although I did just get it right!

nah you forgot the y

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

by way of reconciliation as i seem to have pissed off some people today i will share with you all some photographs that i took (using the camera built into my mobile-telephone) on my walk today. i hope that those of you who did not get to have a lovely walk today will get some enjoyment from seeing photographs taken during my lovely walk on your computer screen/monitor/Visual Display Unit there

https://imgur.com/a/ydcw2Ma

I recognised that shite daylight right away. :cheersbird:

All the snow has unfortunately been rained out of existence, a shameful display.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Follow up on the Bristol West Labour party. The right have basically stolen all the positions and the social media officer has already started to redesign the website. I strongly recommend everyone take a look:

https://www.bristolwestlabour.org.uk/our-executive-committee/

Amazing. What a man.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

quote:

I enjoyed your pictures crispix, thank you for posting them.

Angry that you didn't pet doggo though.
ALWAYS PET DOGGO

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

therattle posted:

That’s a separate argument (with which I have some sympathy). It’s not the basis on which crispix et al are arguing though.

Also, as someone with a fair amount of practise at sneering, not sneering my arse.

It is absolutely part of why I find the obsession with it pretty contemptible, the fact that its proponents want to just actively start killing a bunch of people to facilitate it, that they can't even deal without having it for any reason only amplifies that.

I don't really see why I shouldn't feel that way about people who, from my perspective, simply cannot exist without gorging themselves constantly on an endless stream of manufactured novelty, whatever the cost, because their brains are so rotted that they cannot fabricate their own meaning or sense of enjoyment in life, especially when as the costs escalate all they do is come out with weaselly justifications for why it is right that ever more people should suffer for their happiness.

What is someone who does that other than intrinsically hostile to me? How am I supposed to view them any other way? It might not be their fault that they are the way they are, but they still are that way.

How am I supposed to interpret it other than just another example of me being forced to support a society that does nothing for me. To sideline my best interests yet again for people who have no desire to do anything for me in return, lockdowns to protect them, work and risk of lifelong complications for me, all just so they can stuff their faces in restaurants and fly abroad because they cannot go five loving minutes without consuming everything in sight like utter pigs.

I don't know how not to feel that way when that attitude is inextricable from the attitude that denies me every possible chance of improving my life and having a loving future. I don't see why I shouldn't feel that way, it seems to me to be entirely reasonable that I should.

As I said, they would make very good tories.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 14, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The Perfect Element posted:

It's an interesting question : does the fact that others are suffering more than you invalidate any grief you might feel about your own situation? Like, is ANYONE entitled to ever feel sorry for themselves in the developed world, when bombs are being dropped on other people who are objectively worse off?

I think the answer is 'yes', even though it is helpful to put your own suffering in perspective.

My own perspective is that while I'm sure worse things are happening elsewhere in the world, the bad things that I'm currently experiencing are happening to me and therefore deserve an outsize proportion of my personal attention.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

namesake posted:

Follow up on the Bristol West Labour party. The right have basically stolen all the positions and the social media officer has already started to redesign the website. I strongly recommend everyone take a look:

https://www.bristolwestlabour.org.uk/our-executive-committee/

Amazing. What a man.

what the gently caress

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

Angry that you didn't pet doggo though.
ALWAYS PET DOGGO

i miss petting friend dogs and kitties and even horses (if they don't look too demented of a horse) that i see out and about but there is that risk that i could get plague from them or inadventently contaminate them with plague and they'll take it back in their houses and give it to people and well

stables in the case of horses, not houses

only knew one person who let a horse in the house, always said no (thanks) to a cup of tea at hers

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

crispix posted:

i miss petting friend dogs and kitties and even horses (if they don't look too demented of a horse) that i see out and about but there is that risk that i could get plague from them or inadventently contaminate them with plague and they'll take it back in their houses and give it to people and well

stables in the case of horses, not houses

only knew one person who let a horse in the house, always said no (thanks) to a cup of tea at hers

Should have politely said Neigh instead.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

what the gently caress

Liberalism

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
nothing better than a cup of tea for a horse throat

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Scikar posted:

This would be lovely for the same reasons as fishing quotas and carbon credits. The airlines, who don't care who is flying as long as somebody is and pays for it, would continuously lobby for the quota to be as high as possible. The tiny proportion of frequent flyers who currently account for a vastly disproportionate amount of the travel and carbon emissions would argue that their travel is now not causing any problems so long as they pay for the credits. And you just know that any money people did make from selling their credits would be deducted from any benefits they might receive anyway - it's unlike to leave the poorest any better off. All that effort, little help to those who need it the most, no effect on climate change, and the rich have an excuse to deflect blame for it. If you're going to put up quotas, they should be fixed, non-transferrable, and tax the everliving gently caress out of any travel that exceeds them.

Airlines will lobby against anything which limits flights to address climate change, without magic clean tech being imminent that's a fake argument because it could be applied to literally any measure that reduces flight miles within capitalism. There's no reason to declare flight miles would necessarily be reduced from benefits, that's stupid 'ugh donchaknow any policy idea is actually bad because hellworld' it's a massive catastrophising assumption.

Borrovan posted:

Anything that wasn't deducted straight from benefits or hoovered up by predatory brokers would be negated anyway when most of the population immediately starts selling all of their miles every year and markets adjust to suck the extra money straight back off them (much like UBI without rent/price controls). The only effect would be that only rich people can travel at all, which they continue to do literally all they want.

Why do you idiots assume that this would have anything to do with benefits, the entire concept is that it's a universal measure and please give me a more specific definition of 'predatory brokers' because a single desirable commodity with a perhaps floating but fundamentally reliable value seems like 'predatory brokers' would be a non-issue. "The only effect would be that only rich people can travel at all" is such a massive reach that you need to justify it at least somehow.

FYI it's fine to say 'i dunno that policy might cause problems' but you morons are declaring it awful based on absolutely no logical reasoning.

At the risk of realising there's a sinister new Type of Guy he looks eerily similar to the worst of the north london righty cunts.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

therattle posted:

That’s a separate argument (with which I have some sympathy). It’s not the basis on which crispix et al are arguing though.

Also, as someone with a fair amount of practise at sneering, not sneering my arse.

it wasn't sneering. i remain genuinely baffled as to why it's such a priority for some people. i've acknowledged that i'm the one who is an oddball (not a having experiences person) and i have apologised for hitting a nerve with a lot of people so there's not much more i can really do

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Vitamin P posted:

Airlines will lobby against anything which limits flights to address climate change, without magic clean tech being imminent that's a fake argument because it could be applied to literally any measure that reduces flight miles within capitalism. There's no reason to declare flight miles would necessarily be reduced from benefits, that's stupid 'ugh donchaknow any policy idea is actually bad because hellworld' it's a massive catastrophising assumption.

Why do you idiots assume that this would have anything to do with benefits, the entire concept is that it's a universal measure and please give me a more specific definition of 'predatory brokers' because a single desirable commodity with a perhaps floating but fundamentally reliable value seems like 'predatory brokers' would be a non-issue. "The only effect would be that only rich people can travel at all" is such a massive reach that you need to justify it at least somehow.

FYI it's fine to say 'i dunno that policy might cause problems' but you morons are declaring it awful based on absolutely no logical reasoning.

You claimed it would be an efficient wealth transfer from the rich to the poor, and you didn't even bother to claim it would actually reduce carbon emissions from aircraft, only that it would lay the groundwork for future flight restrictions (when? after it's already too late?). You made these assertions without any reasoning or consideration for how they would actually happen. But of course, the people pointing out ways that it might not work are the idiots.

I disagree that it would be an efficient wealth transfer. Maybe you could include some numbers here so we could evaluate what qualifies as efficient. I also don't think it would reduce emissions, presumably you don't either as you didn't claim it - assume the airlines get no say in this policy, and you limit total passenger miles to say 50% of current. The airlines could reduce the number of seats on planes and raise prices - same number of flights, similar level of emissions (maybe we can be generous here and say they will favour smaller, more efficient aircraft, but aircraft purchasing cycles are measured in decades), only now that one holiday abroad per year is too expensive for some people who can currently afford it.

If you want to say this is a good policy, show some working. Maybe then you can call people idiots.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Regarde Aduck posted:

Seems like a hot take but I’m not sure tbh

Like it seems like ‘childless asthmatic shutins’ has an implied judgement but I dunno??

I get that there’s tension between groups but this really seems like you think we’ve reached the point where we should triage the childless, the asthmatic and the shy
I thought I'd balanced the post so that both sides would disagree but you were the only one to bite and now I just feel bad about it. Maybe we're not the most easily trolled thread on SA any more?

I don't actually think that a forever lockdown or sacrificing thousands of people with otherwise manageable illnesses is necessary. The UK could even now follow Australia in practically eliminating Covid in Great Britain if the Tories were willing to (NI would presumably require coordination with the Irish government and even as a hypothetical that might be expecting too much of Johnson). lovely leadership from a lovely government is the problem. People frustrated with being stuck inside wishing that they could lead normal lives again and people who don't want to die a preventable death should both be on the same side here.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Conservative Party appears as the only multi-cultural party.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

As a pet dog haver, I can assure you they are not happy about the lack of pets either.

This is just a dog, standing in front of an internet, asking it to pet him.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Scikar posted:

You claimed it would be an efficient wealth transfer from the rich to the poor, and you didn't even bother to claim it would actually reduce carbon emissions from aircraft, only that it would lay the groundwork for future flight restrictions (when? after it's already too late?). You made these assertions without any reasoning or consideration for how they would actually happen. But of course, the people pointing out ways that it might not work are the idiots.

If all citizens equally recieve a resource that the wealthy luxuriat and business fliers disproportionately use and a single specific market mechanism would allow that resource to be traded then you are insane to say it wouldn't be an incredibly efficient wealth transfer mechanism. It would also be politically popular, or at least achievable, because '99% of people get money directly from the richest 1%, it's not charity or taxation it's The Market' is npt a contentious or difficult concept it's populist in the best possible way.

"(when? after it's already too late?)" now you have to do more than critique because you're claiming a flaw of the policy is that it's insufficient and only lays the groundwork for future more effective policy and yeah no poo poo, I acknowledged that in the first post. If you think it's bad then suggest a more effective policy.

Scikar posted:

I disagree that it would be an efficient wealth transfer. Maybe you could include some numbers here so we could evaluate what qualifies as efficient. I also don't think it would reduce emissions, presumably you don't either as you didn't claim it - assume the airlines get no say in this policy, and you limit total passenger miles to say 50% of current. The airlines could reduce the number of seats on planes and raise prices - same number of flights, similar level of emissions (maybe we can be generous here and say they will favour smaller, more efficient aircraft, but aircraft purchasing cycles are measured in decades), only now that one holiday abroad per year is too expensive for some people who can currently afford it.

If you want to say this is a good policy, show some working. Maybe then you can call people idiots.

I legit think that doing the numbers would support my point, and if you want to keep being an obnoxious wee prick in defense of (?) then we can do that but your disagreement that a resource distributed universally wouldn't lead to redistribution seems logically incoherent.

Also you seem to be assuming a flexibility of assets that is literally impossible for the airline industry, planes are a big deal.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I'm watching the new Adam Curtis, and it is predictably good, in a Curtis sort of way.

However, I've realised that his voice is very similar to Keir Starmers, or at least to the guy who does those amazing Keir starmer rap covers. I'll never be able to unhear it.

More importantly, my fudge has arrived, and we've already got through one pack, despite an original pledge of 'just one piece per day'.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Vitamin P posted:

If you think it's bad then suggest a more effective policy.

Scikar posted:

If you're going to put up quotas, they should be fixed, non-transferrable, and tax the everliving gently caress out of any travel that exceeds them.

e:

Vitamin P posted:

I've never seen a good argument against
I've never seen a true Scotsman either

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

However, I've realised that his voice is very similar to Keir Starmer

this is hypernormalisation

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Vitamin P posted:

If you think it's bad then suggest a more effective policy.

Yeah, I did, you ignored it.

quote:

I legit think that doing the numbers would support my point, and if you want to keep being an obnoxious wee prick in defense of (?) then we can do that but your disagreement that a resource distributed universally wouldn't lead to redistribution seems logically incoherent.

Also you seem to be assuming a flexibility of assets that is literally impossible for the airline industry, planes are a big deal.

"I legit think that I'm holding a pair of aces right here, but I'm just going sit here talking about aces and calling you an idiot. No you can't see them, just give me the money!"

Again you didn't bother to read what I wrote either. The airlines can't afford to purchase new planes. But they can afford to change the seat layouts on the planes they have. Their purchasing decisions, and the industry's aircraft design, engine design, and manufacturing are all predicated on assumptions about passenger travel and optimised around those numbers. So they will be able to reduce the number of seats on each plane, increasing the space available per passenger, and raising the cost of the flight. But the result will be less efficient than today because it's not what the aircraft was optimised for, so emissions per passenger mile will rise, and in most cases the exact same planes will be making the exact same journeys just with fewer people on board. That's not going to deliver meaningful impact on emissions until the next round of aircraft design, production and purchasing - decades away. And we needed to act on emissions yesterday.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you want to go on holiday then i have no choice but to report you to the GMC

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i think covid is a levelling event the like of which is unprecedented in our lifetimes

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the way we are reacting to it is shaped by the lives we were living beforehand

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it's outwith my experience for foreign travel for pleasure to be considered a necessity and it's genuinely surprised me that others disagree

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

i think covid is a levelling event the like of which is unprecedented in our lifetimes
Oh cool if we're levelling I might dip Warlock to get a few cantrips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

it's outwith my experience for foreign travel for pleasure to be considered a necessity and it's genuinely surprised me that others disagree

It doesn't surprise me, but I still have no tolerance for being told I need to eat poo poo so they can have them.