Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Muscle Tracer posted:

i am playing through this for the first time, with Sekiro being the only other recent From game I've played. very tough to unlearn the Sekrio defenses (parrying timings, the idea that everything is parryable, parry being far better than dodge). i just got to the pontiff boss, which feels like a real return to form after all these slow-rear end to literally immobile MFers. but this guy has me finally feeling like i've found my groove. definitely hoping there are more "hesitation is defeat" type fights coming up.

I always felt that Pontiff was the first "Oh, I need to try on this guy" boss in the game. If you go in there feeling and acting like hot poo poo, he is going to give you a rude awakening. Nailing that parry on him though never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

i am playing through this for the first time, with Sekiro being the only other recent From game I've played. very tough to unlearn the Sekrio defenses (parrying timings, the idea that everything is parryable, parry being far better than dodge). i just got to the pontiff boss, which feels like a real return to form after all these slow-rear end to literally immobile MFers. but this guy has me finally feeling like i've found my groove. definitely hoping there are more "hesitation is defeat" type fights coming up.

There are plenty of bosses who are going to get in your face and stay there.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I didn't really like the ringed city.
The levels are basically a checklist of level design ideas that annoy me when they show up in souls games. Respawning enemies, summoners, large mobs, enemies relying on bad lock on, immortal enemies ,swamps, summoned archers, ranged attackers shooting through walls, more re spawning enemies, more swamp, more immortal enemies, npcs who abuse their immunity to walls.
The bosses were also generally weak. The most boring kind of pair fight, another generic demon, mandatory multiplayer segment would have made me quit if I had gotten stuck there, kalameet already bored me during ds1.

Gael is fun, but he is no friede. The lore stuff was interesting, but the enemy design encourages me to just run past without looking back. amnesiac patches was funny in exactly the same way as he always is.

overall ds3 is still my favourite in the series. But I am done for now.

e: oh yeah the most annoying thing is that rage-quitting for the evening takes several loading screens until you have have quit the game.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 10, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

well, yhorm took way too long and was super dull, aldrich went too fast. boy do i wish the storytelling in this game was a little better, because when i was teleported to do the basin thing, i thought i was still in aldrich's room and had to do that for the bonfire to drop. bye bye, a hundred thousand souls! had to look up on the wiki to have any idea what had happened.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

well, yhorm took way too long and was super dull, aldrich went too fast. boy do i wish the storytelling in this game was a little better, because when i was teleported to do the basin thing, i thought i was still in aldrich's room and had to do that for the bonfire to drop. bye bye, a hundred thousand souls! had to look up on the wiki to have any idea what had happened.

The latter half of the game has some pretty clear hatchet marks and visible seams. I don't know how extensive Forgotten Capital was supposed to have been, but the pacing is bad enough to make me think they must've had to dramatically pare down the original plan.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Did you fight Yhorm without the Storm Ruler, you poor soul

Also I agree that the basin teleportation is idiotic. It's very obvious that they couldn't come up with a clearer "btw you need to go here now" indication and just said gently caress it and plopped the player down there without considering that they might want to immediately check out what's going on instead of allowing them to rest and cash in.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I dont know, it leads to some hilarious shenanigans if you happen to die during the Aldrich fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feRNF9AebKk&t=149s

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 11, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

i did about ~4 tries before looking him up. did 2 more tries with the storm ruler. got him to about 1/3 health reliably but would get bored and lazy and gently caress up.

finally freed Siegward, got a cool cutscene, and pretty much just dodged back and forth for a bit while Yhorm melted.

just a very weird boss. a skill check for... exploring the boss room for items and using their most obscure moves??? e: and not a skill check for dodging, or timing, or stamina management, or pattern recognition, or anything else even remotely close to what any other fight requires. or on patience and mental stamina i guess, but that doesn't seem like the intended lesson.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 11, 2021

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
My biggest issue with Yhorm is that I fully understood that you have to use the Storm Ruler, but not how. I had seen a bunch of Demon's Souls LPs, so I knew that the Storm Ruler can do a big wind attack, but it...didn't in DS3? I had to look up that you have to charge it, which is a completely unique thing for its weapon art only, and never explained.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If you're feeling gutsy you can shoot Yorhm in the face with arrows but who actually uses bows in Dark Souls?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

If you're feeling gutsy you can shoot Yorhm in the face with arrows but who actually uses bows in Dark Souls?

I keep trying this but I use all my 99 arrows on the first enemy I see before I get to the boss room

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

Everyone with any sense

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

Also I agree that the basin teleportation is idiotic. It's very obvious that they couldn't come up with a clearer "btw you need to go here now" indication and just said gently caress it and plopped the player down there without considering that they might want to immediately check out what's going on instead of allowing them to rest and cash in.

It's sort of like the first Seath encounter. I think it's neat from a lore or just coolness factor, but from a gameplay perspective its sort of sucky.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
The real way to fight Yhorm is to go to the 2nd DLC as soon as possible and get lightning arrow.

Spec for a mid-level pure faith, stack at least morne's + sun's first born, optional offhand saint-tree or if you're feeling spicy whip yourself with daddy ariandel's s&m kit beforehand.

Lock onto Yhorm's face and fire repeatedly.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Logan 5 posted:

The real way to fight Yhorm is to go to the 2nd DLC as soon as possible and get lightning arrow.

Spec for a mid-level pure faith, stack at least morne's + sun's first born, optional offhand saint-tree or if you're feeling spicy whip yourself with daddy ariandel's s&m kit beforehand.

Lock onto Yhorm's face and fire repeatedly.

That sounds like a Pro Gamer Move™️

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

last livetweet update: why did it take me 20 hours to learn that there is, in fact, a jump button? why is it not marked in the control scheme at all, and why does it do literally nothing if you aren't sprinting? even just a little halfhearted hop would've let me known that PRESSING IN THE LEFT STICK actually did something.

i love this game but sometimes it is very, very dumb

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

last livetweet update: why did it take me 20 hours to learn that there is, in fact, a jump button? why is it not marked in the control scheme at all, and why does it do literally nothing if you aren't sprinting? even just a little halfhearted hop would've let me known that PRESSING IN THE LEFT STICK actually did something.

i love this game but sometimes it is very, very dumb
There's a message in the tutorial area explicitly telling you how to jump to reach an item that can only be reached by jumping to it.

edit:

SeXTcube fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 13, 2021

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Really wish there was a dedicated kick button, because actually trying to do one on command is some frame-perfect slide-input horseshit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think the time I learned to kick consistently was the same time I learned to ravioli step in ds1. put yourself in the hyperbolic time chamber for a bit and you'll be fine

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

Really wish there was a dedicated kick button, because actually trying to do one on command is some frame-perfect slide-input horseshit.

On pc I setup a macro to bind kick to a button, which is technically cheating, but I don't care because its one of the worst inputs in any videogame ever

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There's still so much about little input grotesqueries like that about these games I have no handle on whatsoever and just occasionally happen by accident

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The only one of these games that I've been able to successfully input the Kick/Guard Break command consistently in is Dark Souls 2. It still should really be its own button.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I could semi-frequently guard break when I wanted to in DS2, but like hell could I leap attack on command.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vermain posted:

The only one of these games that I've been able to successfully input the Kick/Guard Break command consistently in is Dark Souls 2. It still should really be its own button.

I'd like to know what goes on with these inputs because I could never get the timing for Guard Breaks down on DS2 to the point where I stopped even trying, but I've always been able to kick with 99% reliability in DS1 & 3

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

My problem in DS3 is the opposite: I’ve gotten killed so many times because a kick came out when I didn’t mean to. I think it’s because I tend to hold forward when fighting enemies (hesitation is defeat).

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

giogadi posted:

My problem in DS3 is the opposite: I’ve gotten killed so many times because a kick came out when I didn’t mean to. I think it’s because I tend to hold forward when fighting enemies (hesitation is defeat).

this happened to me CONSTANTLY and i was terrible at kicking on purpose

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

giogadi posted:

same but also I have had random kicks I didn't intend come out in situations that actually ended benefiting me (pvp mainly)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

take THAT Midir! *whiffs kick*

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
god the NPC quests in this are an extra level of obscure

I’ve restarted twice now because I’ve pissed someone off by progressing someone else’s quest first or missed someone because I tripped a trigger in the wrong order

Fortunately, claymore is love

Edit: I’m coming at this having played Dark Souls 1 years ago and more recently Bloodborne. Things I like: the weapon infusing freedom; bonfire travel; callbacks. Things I dislike: spells cost FP; where my guns and Victorian moustaches at; some of these dudes still seem to think I’m playing Bloodborne

I also don’t have PlayStation plus so gently caress me if I want to level up covenants for the miracles I guess

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 16, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You can grind covenant items that drop, but it sucks mondo rear end.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxSHOuceaFc

I love Dark Souls 3.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
feels good to load in after a long while and roll through both dlcs and all their bosses without too much trouble

no, i don't want to talk about my character's soul level, thank you very much

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

lmfao

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
First playthrough done, great final fight to finish the series.

I thought Gael was kind of the "last" boss, apparently I still had to kill Midir. He seemed impossible at first because I was blowing all my Estus before I even got him down past 3/4 health. Just started getting good at dodging his attacks, he just has a ton of health so it takes a decent amount of time of get those dodges right.

I wish we got a replay-boss-fight like Sekiro does.

A lot of the non-DLC bosses seemed rather easy, I beat Pontiff on the first try, Twin Princes took me about 3-4 tries since his teleporting attacks took time to figure out, Nameless King was a good challenge since he is very aggressive and it's hard to assume your windows of attack since sometimes he seems to pause and other times he keeps attacking.

Then again I've been doing a Fromsoft marathon, went from Demon's Souls ---> Bloodborne-->Sekiro-->DS1--->DS2---->DS3

infraboy fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 18, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Millwood axe? That's an underrated weapon.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

axolotl farmer posted:

Millwood axe? That's an underrated weapon.

With heavy gem and +10 it's ridiculous for a 1h weapon, great weapon art too which I under utilized. Slightly slower than a 1h sword but it staggers almost everything.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
im not gonna lie, I am so glad to be finished with dark souls remastered. coming off of sekiro and bloodborne to that was nearly excruciating. everything is so slow. that map design tho. I think my biggest problem with DS1 is the absurdly long boss runs like lost izalith. even with the shortcut past the titanite demon, the run takes what.. three minutes+?

so glad to be moving on to DS3, which brings me to the point of my post:

I played most of this game at launch and dropped off probably in the last third of the vanilla game. im obviously starting from scratch but I want to absolutely positively wreck face in PvP with a dark build on PS5. what equipment should I be looking for as I progress? weapons, armor, rings, etc?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

g-c posted:

I want to absolutely positively wreck face in PvP with a dark build on PS5. what equipment should I be looking for as I progress? weapons, armor, rings, etc?

any min-max build, especially a low level one, wants to kill dancer early and go to champion gundyr for the prisoner's chain

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you're really tryharding you go all the way to dlc 2 for prisoner's chain+3(and maybe the other boosted rings)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

IronicDongz posted:

if you're really tryharding you go all the way to dlc 2 for prisoner's chain+3(and maybe the other boosted rings)
oh yeah