Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Shappa posted:

Holding CRHC, FUSE, HZON and getting just a little bit jealous of everyone's gaaaaiinnnnssss today.

Same!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Between Oppfi and MoneyLion, fintech seems to be a wet fart. Considering rolling into MedTech.

MTAC is at 10.30. Could be fun.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Anybody in CPUH? Rumoured to be targeting AI assisted robotic surgery which sounds cool as hell and the guy running it has an impressive resume. Are their any potential targets that could generate a lot of hype? Units are at 10.78.

drowningidiot fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 14, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Several people here picked CPUH up on first day it was on market.

It should be a good buy under 11 it is really new and pretty sure it hasn't even split yet.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Any veterans have thoughts on this reddit post? https://www.reddit.com/r/SPACs/comments/lj8wf3/the_old_spac_lifecycle_is_dead/

TLDR: the gold rush is over and it takes more work than just getting in at <11 and selling at various announcements

Definitely something to think about with FUSE and some other recent DA's being terrible

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Nosre posted:

Any veterans have thoughts on this reddit post? https://www.reddit.com/r/SPACs/comments/lj8wf3/the_old_spac_lifecycle_is_dead/

TLDR: the gold rush is over and it takes more work than just getting in at <11 and selling at various announcements

Definitely something to think about with FUSE and some other recent DA's being terrible

I don't think it takes more work per se, it's just different.

The SPAC market is supposed to be $1 trillion this year. That means many more SPACs chasing fewer truly lucrative targets. Getting in near NAV is also harder.

There's still money to be made, but the trajectory is different. If you're going with NAV plays, you can make 30-40% on nothing. You can also have your money sit there and do squat.

If you're playing DAs, there are going to be a lot more sell-offs on so-so target announcements, so that "pop" is going to be less consistent. If anything, you might make more money buying DA sell-offs and riding closer to merger day, but it's a gamble.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Nosre posted:

I think it's just lootbox effect. Sometimes you get a dud.

I think AACQ will be a LTH.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Nosre posted:

I think there's been some overreaction to how crazy the start of 2021 has been. There haven't been any significant changes to the way SPACs work and I don't see any reason yet to alter my strategy.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

drowningidiot posted:

Anybody in CPUH? Rumoured to be targeting AI assisted robotic surgery which sounds cool as hell and the guy running it has an impressive resume. Are their any potential targets that could generate a lot of hype? Units are at 10.78.

I picked up CPUH units and to my surprise received an inch thick stack of paper in the mail a few days later.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

what kind of conditions would bring SPAC prices <$10

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Pizza posted:

They DA moneylion

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

GrandmaParty posted:

I think it's just lootbox effect. Sometimes you get a dud.

I think AACQ will be a LTH.

What would be your thoughts on buying more AACQ if it sticks around 14 on open? I sold mine to make money on something else but I’m itching to get back in it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mr. Pizza posted:

Unprecedented conditions. Confidence in the USD tanking. A specific SPAC can go below $10 if the target is terrible or the management team bungles things horribly, but what would make the entire sector tumble below a guaranteed $10 refund?

If the entire market sees a major correction, that should make investors More likely to put their money into SPACs with their $10 floor and potential for positive returns, while the rest of the market is risky and uncertain.

So IMO we would have to see a run on the banks and the USD as a whole, where everyone's trying to cash out whatever they can get their hands on and there's zero time to waste.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Mr. Pizza posted:

During the March 2020 crash, lots of spacs went below the $10 NAV floor as institutions/HFs/etc. had to basically sell off whatever they could to deleverage. This is also why things such as precious metals and crypto sold off. Cash was king.

Another crash like that would likely lead to a similar result. But I also agree with Fist that logically it actually makes sense to retreat to SPAC commons/units near or under NAV as a flight to safety when something scary happens to the market.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Decided about 3 weeks ago to buy 20 contracts on a $25 CCIV call expiring 2/19. Obviously the AH pop has me excited but nervous for tomorrow as there's no AH trading on options.

Now comes the real decision. Do I sell on Tuesday and take the $20k in profit, do I hold and hope for an announcement by EOW, or do I hedge by selling and buying another call for a month or so out? Very tempted to let it ride at risk of less profits but with fingers crossed for a DA before Friday.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Not a bad position to be in. Seems reasonable to wait for the DA.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Things I am excited about:

1) MTAC is at 10.32. 250 million dollar trust. Medicine and technology. But the board! The board!

Chairman of the board: Mr. Karti previously was an officer of General Electric Company (NYSE: GE) (“GE”), where he worked for 22 years and most recently served as President and Chief Executive Officer of the GE Healthcare Imaging division from 2016 to 2018. He was the Chief Operating Officer of iRhythm Technologies, Inc. (Nasdaq: IRTC), a digital healthcare company, and has been instrumental in launching new products and developing alliances with leading industry participants, including Verily Life Sciences, LLC, a subsidiary of Alphabet Inc.

Another board member: Dr. Roche was the designing surgeon and performed the first robotic assisted Makoplasty partial and total knee arthroplasty. He has published and lectured extensively in the field of orthopedics and holds over 100 patents focused on medical technology.

2) Tokopedia, Gojek and Traveloka are still in play. Everyone knows BTWN and BTNB which are trading at ~$15 and $13. But COVA and PAQC are still in the running as well. COVA is at 11 for units (it's pre-split, one common and half a warrant) and PAQCU is at 11.85 (one common and half a warrant.

3) YAC (10.65) is in the running for Triller.

4) There's a lot of connections between VTIQ and TuSimple, one of the autonomous trucking leaders.VectoIQ led TuSimple last round and Girsky the joined executive board of the company. VTIQ was the terrible idea that brought us NKLA but if it lands TuSimple, you're golden. One common, one fifth of a warrant.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Okay if I can shake some money loose this week I'll buy a little of both. Thanks bud!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks for the SPAC postin, grandma! I’m gonna be giving up on cruise stocks this week and looking for something less stupid to put the money into.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I missed the boat on Arlight Clean Transition Corp first IPO. Big time Biden clean energy boosters on the board. Stocks started at 10 and are now 25. They have another clean energy SPAC IPO coming out soon, thinking about jumping in on that. Anyone following clean energy SPACs want to have a noice stop and chat, bruv?

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

GrandmaParty posted:

Things I am excited about :

1) MTAC is at 10.32. 250 million dollar trust. Medicine and technology. But the board! The board!

Chairman of the board: Mr. Karti previously was an officer of General Electric Company (NYSE: GE) (“GE”), where he worked for 22 years and most recently served as President and Chief Executive Officer of the GE Healthcare Imaging division from 2016 to 2018. He was the Chief Operating Officer of iRhythm Technologies, Inc. (Nasdaq: IRTC), a digital healthcare company, and has been instrumental in launching new products and developing alliances with leading industry participants, including Verily Life Sciences, LLC, a subsidiary of Alphabet Inc.

Another board member: Dr. Roche was the designing surgeon and performed the first robotic assisted Makoplasty partial and total knee arthroplasty. He has published and lectured extensively in the field of orthopedics and holds over 100 patents focused on medical technology.

I was checking this one out and the commons are 10.32 but the warrants are at 2.49? That seems high given how close to NAV this one is. Maybe people expect this to be a big one eventually and they've driven the price up? Is that unusual? FRX is trading at 11.95 and has an announced target but their warrants are 2.20 although their target may not be the best.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Chamath getting nutty with it.

IPOC-F were easy buys last time because they had clear lanes based on valuation and national/international targets. How are you supposed to pick among this many?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
You can't. They're going to kill the golden goose.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

How's IPOD and IPOF looking anyway? Just pricewise, they opened a little up but are now stagnant, but I haven't checked any news for a bit.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Nosre posted:

How's IPOD and IPOF looking anyway? Just pricewise, they opened a little up but are now stagnant, but I haven't checked any news for a bit.

They're drifting in their hype-induced lanes. IPOD warrants are down a little actually, but not a ton. IPOF warrants up a little, but not a ton. Commons in the middle.

It's pretty tempting to sell them, honestly. Like look what happened to PDAC this morning. Pretty decent target in Li-Cycle, popped in the pretrading hours and then a sell-off on official DA. Chamath would have to land some pretty meaty targets to pop much off a base of $15.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Not seeing anything new on AVAN but it’s climbing today, 5% so far.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

It's pretty tempting to sell them, honestly. Like look what happened to PDAC this morning. Pretty decent target in Li-Cycle, popped in the pretrading hours and then a sell-off on official DA. Chamath would have to land some pretty meaty targets to pop much off a base of $15.

Yea the mediocre performance of some other DAs we've seen recently does not seem to justify them hanging out at 15+

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
SPAC market is starting to feel a little funky. Some DAs flopping, Chamath flooding the channel with new SPACs when he already has a bunch in progress, etc. Feels like a big correction is on the horizon.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

FistEnergy posted:

SPAC market is starting to feel a little funky. Some DAs flopping, Chamath flooding the channel with new SPACs when he already has a bunch in progress, etc. Feels like a big correction is on the horizon.

Yeah. I'm gonna move out of premiums and hunker hard into the near-navs.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
cciv impressing me with how well its hanging in there this morning

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I bought AACQ based on this thread. Does anyone know if there is much substance to the talks with Origin? May just get out now with my 20% and move onto something new NAV again.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Brass Hand posted:

I bought AACQ based on this thread. Does anyone know if there is much substance to the talks with Origin? May just get out now with my 20% and move onto something new NAV again.

I think the only thing that is of substance ito the rumor is that AACQ changed their target from fintech to anything. It’s anyone’s guess. I like the target so I plan on holding but selling gets you more money for other SPACs.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

FistEnergy posted:

FWIW I think he's just reserving those names. He's not launching those yet, but I agree with your sentiment.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

thats not candy posted:

cciv impressing me with how well its hanging in there this morning

I'm hanging in there with my commons but if there's nothing by next Monday I might cash out.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been looking at r/SPACs and it’s refreshing to see comments like “hey man no shame in taking profits, a gain in a gain” instead of “YOLO ape paper handed bitch.”

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yep, it's a much better place. It's been slowly changing this year as SPACs gain more exposure though.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I sold my FUSE last week at a slight loss and decided to hold onto my cash through the weekend to consider my next move after that huge disappointment. My top picks were AVAN or AACQ, because surely neither of them will pop before Tuesday.

:suicide:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
FUSE has been incredible to watch today. My cost basis is 11.20 and I thought it would be a solid moneymaker for sure.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Speaking of FUSE, should I just sell and take the 10% L?

$12.08 cost basis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

FistEnergy posted:

I'm hanging in there with my commons but if there's nothing by next Monday I might cash out.

:eyepop:

you have shaken me