Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Do trolls not respawn? I killed some in a nearby patch of black forest and they haven't come back. I wonder if its because I built small outpost for mining nearby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Do trolls not respawn? I killed some in a nearby patch of black forest and they haven't come back. I wonder if its because I built small outpost for mining nearby?

Yeah I think buildings will stop them from spawning.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
You'll hear the ground shaking at some point

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GJlOiNsmQI

Wow, this solves a big issue/frustration I was having.

That's really useful!

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh, don't you worry about running out of trolls.

I recommend building some stake walls around your shelter.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Has anyone had luck taming the boars? I dropped like twenty mushrooms for three of them and after quite awhile two were at 8% tame and one had mysteriously disappeared.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Valheim is a strand-type game

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

tildes posted:

Has anyone had luck taming the boars? I dropped like twenty mushrooms for three of them and after quite awhile two were at 8% tame and one had mysteriously disappeared.

I recommend moving them to the place you want them to be first, then fence them in. Drop a single mushroom/berry and then it's just waiting time nearby-ish. If you're a helicopter parent, you can get about 33% progress per food item done. It just takes a looooong time. If you can wait a bit longer: two 1 star boars will breed more 1 stars (presumably the same with 2 stars, but who finds 2 stars next to each other!)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've been playing this game the last two days with a friend and his brothers friend group. First time actually getting into a persistent world survival mmo, it's pretty impressive how a simple game like this manages to pull you in for hours in end. We did the second world boss, have a central base with most resources, and me and a friend funded a different town somewhere else a bit down the map.

Only real issue with the game I have is that two times now after dying relatively quickly in succession, my second tombstone disappeared and all my items were gone. I've lost two complete sets of tools and gear, for no reason other than a bug it seems like. Very annoying. The first tombstone was there as usual, I could recover all my things, but after dying minutes later the second never spawned.

E: question : we are playing on a dedicated server so it's all persistent, but can I start a game by myself, and transfer the gear from there to the other server? In other words, is my character persistent between servers?

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 14, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Quill posted:

I mined out an entire copper deposit (or at least to a decently deep depth) and no more trolls appeared after probably ~5+ game days. Even after I left and did things elsewhere.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yup! Your characters are stored locally.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Quill posted:

I had a stone perimeter wall, the ground shook, and the drat troll spawned inside the outer wall and smashed half my house before I realized what was going on.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Is there a way to proper way to build a wall to the coastline without having mobs just wade through the shallow water to get around it?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Make a habit of making a map marker of where you die, just in case you die again on the way and the first marker despawns.

I wish there was a feature to share explored map with your friends. With different people online at different times, we all have different parts of the map explored and would like to share what we've found.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

anatomi posted:

Yup! Your characters are stored locally.

Cool! Thanks.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Also we managed to find this island...

Got on to mine some barnacles, which turned out to be chitin, and it also turned out that it wasn't really an island when it roared and swam away from under us, leaving us almost drowning.

And if you were wondering on how to get some more guck, build platforms!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I got this game this morning because some friends had it and it has sailing in it, but figured I’d fool around with it for like an hour and refund it.

I have 15 hours of time played according to steam now.

Dividing up the work makes everything go much faster. I spent almost all of my playtime just ferrying ore back to the main settlement and throwing it in smelters while other people fought trolls and mined up thousands of pounds of copper and tin. The thing is, not everyone needs full bronze armor, even for bosses, and I just used regular leather armor because it didn’t really matter for just sailing around. The only people who really need it are the ones doing the fighting and mining, and that’s not nearly all the work to be done. Once you get things going with bronze tools and a decent workflow, your group can pump out materials real quick. More people also means more ground covered, more crypts found, etc.

Also I found out that the sea serpent’s attack is pretty locked in, and with the second boat and decent wind direction you can fishtail it to avoid the attack. Landlubbing is for the birds.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I got this game this morning because some friends had it and it has sailing in it, but figured I’d fool around with it for like an hour and refund it.

I have 15 hours of time played according to steam now.

Dividing up the work makes everything go much faster. I spent almost all of my playtime just ferrying ore back to the main settlement and throwing it in smelters while other people fought trolls and mined up thousands of pounds of copper and tin. The thing is, not everyone needs full bronze armor, even for bosses, and I just used regular leather armor because it didn’t really matter for just sailing around. The only people who really need it are the ones doing the fighting and mining, and that’s not nearly all the work to be done. Once you get things going with bronze tools and a decent workflow, your group can pump out materials real quick. More people also means more ground covered, more crypts found, etc.

Also I found out that the sea serpent’s attack is pretty locked in, and with the second boat and decent wind direction you can fishtail it to avoid the attack. Landlubbing is for the birds.

The troll leather set is real easy to farm and will last you a really long time, if you aren't a front of the line fighter. It has a sneak set bonus (the only armour set bonus in right now)

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
I was starting to not enjoy video games recently, this game blew me away. I watched a few videos of people playing and thought i would give it the 2-hour-tango on steam. I am so completely immersed and happy that this level of charm and quality can still exist together. I mean, it's not perfect, but we're goons what the hell do we know about perfect.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My serpent head disappeared so my trophy room is no longer cool

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Has anyone seen grass grow back? I'm near day 100 in solo and my original base still has bare patches from where I first leveled the ground.

edit: Nevermind, apparently the cultivator does this.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
How do you all deal with mining trips? My main limiter is pickaxe durability and it's kind of a pain, do you get repair kits or something later on or do you bring spares? I used to build temporary cabins but bronze+ needs a forge to repair so that's not really viable.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I build mining outposts with a portal back to base. Portals are fairly cheap to set up, and you can use it to quickly pop back and repair.
Also, if you are in the swamp, once you have an iron pickaxe, just bring both that and the bronze one for twice the durability.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I don’t even know how to mine. I have a smelter and a coal furnace but I have not been able to figure out metallurgy and working stone.

It is frustrating when I am using this as an architectural simulator :argh:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dialhforhero posted:

I don’t even know how to mine. I have a smelter and a coal furnace but I have not been able to figure out metallurgy and working stone.

It is frustrating when I am using this as an architectural simulator :argh:
Spoilered in case you want to figure it out yourself: Beat the first boss for a pickaxe.Get some iron for stoneworking.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I really want to read that...

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

I really want to read that...

It's not that spoilery -- it's something you already know and just haven't gotten around to doing yet.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I hope that one day in the future the Dev(s) add in a way for the player to adjust the amount of ores received when mining. Its the best way to deal with the community on this issue in my opinion.

People with a ton of time on their hands and don't seem to mind the grinding for metals hours and hours and hours can continue in their journey of self harm, whereas someone like me who the world has deemed to be so essential i need to work 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week since last march to keep the world rotating can set the drop rate to double what it is now just so I can not spend an entire week of play time just getting some bronze together.

This is still a fun game, but if the time sink or iron remains insane when I finally progress to Iron I'm going to have to nope out of this game. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

NuckmasterJ posted:

I hope that one day in the future the Dev(s) add in a way for the player to adjust the amount of ores received when mining. Its the best way to deal with the community on this issue in my opinion.

People with a ton of time on their hands and don't seem to mind the grinding for metals hours and hours and hours can continue in their journey of self harm, whereas someone like me who the world has deemed to be so essential i need to work 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week since last march to keep the world rotating can set the drop rate to double what it is now just so I can not spend an entire week of play time just getting some bronze together.

This is still a fun game, but if the time sink or iron remains insane when I finally progress to Iron I'm going to have to nope out of this game. :(

My time isn't quite so constrained but I nope'd out after the first boss already for much the same reason. The gameplay etc has fundamental appeal, but only for so long before boredom sets in; when so much time is grinding for materials with nothing else interesting, the appeal falls to the side pretty fast.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah atm all I want to do is build an entire town but even a full shack requires more than 2 full stacks of regular wood. I can't wait to get some stone building done but I feel like I've still a whole heap of prep to do.

Honestly atm I'm just switching between a home world and an expedition world because in single player I'll put up with either the grind or the long journey home but not both.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shoehead posted:

Yeah atm all I want to do is build an entire town but even a full shack requires more than 2 full stacks of regular wood. I can't wait to get some stone building done but I feel like I've still a whole heap of prep to do.

Honestly atm I'm just switching between a home world and an expedition world because in single player I'll put up with either the grind or the long journey home but not both.

Get a cart if you haven't yet, you do need bronze nails for it but being able to take a cart out in the forest, cut down a fuckton of trees, and bring in like 10 full stacks of wood with the cart makes at least that part of the process significantly less lovely.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

enjoying the mix of gorgeous modern lighting with PS2-era textures

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Shoehead posted:

I'm also playing solo and I've been doing a bit of this as well. Kinda feels icky.. but kinda cool at the same time. Jumping worlds feels like part of the lore so I like the flavor, but it's definitely a bit cheesy to just pop back home with an inventory full of copper.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nothing more viking than returning home with copper you stripped out of some poor saxon monk's walls.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

AndrewP posted:

enjoying the mix of gorgeous modern lighting with PS2-era textures

it's really weird, on paper it's shouldn't look as decent as it does

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Wait, you what now? You go to a different seed, find a dark forest and load yourself down with stacks upon stacks of copper, then log out and back into your original seed which is still saved and you load into where your bed is?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

NuckmasterJ posted:

Wait, you what now? You go to a different seed, find a dark forest and load yourself down with stacks upon stacks of copper, then log out and back into your original seed which is still saved and you load into where your bed is?

Yep, exactly this. Queue the you've cheated yourself and the game meme.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

CRAYON posted:

Yep, exactly this. Queue the you've cheated yourself and the game meme.

I've decided I'm going to play the game "correctly" until I unlock and upgrade everything. After that, I just want to build stuff.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

NuckmasterJ posted:

Doesn't have to be a different seed; just a different world. You can use the same seed for both worlds if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I went into another person's server. I built a lean-to and bench up at the brook and put up a sign saying "be-nice". I then found the host's hut a lil down the way. I poked around his tanning bench and opened his boxes. I pillaged all his scrap leather and deer leather in my pack and I left, never looked back.