Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i once did get boosted like 20 levels in WoW, in the old days when that meant weeks, by a dutch bloke who wanted nothing in return

that's the good in people that's out there :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

crispix posted:

it's outwith my experience for foreign travel for pleasure to be considered a necessity and it's genuinely surprised me that others disagree
I think the point they were grasping towards is that its not fair to characterize everyone who wants to do [Prohibited activity] as if just desiring to do it at some unspecified time in the future is as bad as doing it right now when it's going to get people killed.

Which is fair but yes also anyone actually planning to book a holiday as soon as lockdown ends is a loving moron with zero pattern recognition at this point and that's more of the vibe I got from your post?

I dunno I can't follow these lockdown fights anymore everyone's always arguing at cross purposes for some reason.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh no, guys, the number went down, that's not supposed to happen!

https://twitter.com/ReutersUK/status/1360132823366193155?s=19

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Mr Phillby posted:

I dunno I can't follow these lockdown fights anymore everyone's always arguing at cross purposes for some reason.

I generally tune out of all these after about three posts, as I can no longer discern what anyone is actually arguing for or against other than other posters being inhuman monsters who need to gently caress off

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Mr Phillby posted:

I think the point they were grasping towards is that its not fair to characterize everyone who wants to do [Prohibited activity] as if just desiring to do it at some unspecified time in the future is as bad as doing it right now when it's going to get people killed.

Which is fair but yes also anyone actually planning to book a holiday as soon as lockdown ends is a loving moron with zero pattern recognition at this point and that's more of the vibe I got from your post?

yeah i meant anyone who has booked a foreign holiday

i'm very very unambiguous: i think foreign holidays should not be a priority for anyone until the global pandemic that is currently happening is much less of a threat to human life

just my $0.02 though

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you know i can recall the times i have accidentally stepped on snails when walking of a place, never mind knowingly risking killing humans by my wilful actions

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
foreign holidays are old hat; when the airports reopen, why not go abroad and stay there? https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/best-countries-for-remote-working

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
eat out to help out, my loving hole, 3-4 months later you've as many people lying on their stomachs in ICU gargling their last

so you sold some loving burgers

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it's not okay, is it

you need to stay at home

you need to keep your physical interacations in this mortal realm as confined as you possibly can

that is you reducing to the minimum your risk of being contaminated with the plague and of contaminating others with the plague, everyone has a moral duty to do that

going on holidays should not be a conversation anyone is having here and now

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Latest pod just out, full sympathy to Sanitary for the edit but honestly just enjoy it. Even better if you're in the Blackpool area.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1360870843245559812?s=19

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Just chiming in as everyone else is.

A lot of the talk about travel had been about holidays (or "holibobs" as my coworker calls them and I've disgracefully picked up).  I'm in a different boat: I've lived in the UK for 10 years, but born and raised in Canada.  My parents and brother are still there.  Either I'd go there or they'd come here at least once a year, and sometimes we'd double up.  We doubled up in 2018 so said, let's skip 2019, and then in 2020 my mom was coming here in March, the whole family in August, and my wife and her family would all go there for Christmas.

I've now not seen my family in nearly two and a half years.  I'd love to go and see them, but I haven't and I won't, because it is so irresponsible to travel about with this thing ongoing.  I have to act like an adult, repress my "but I WANT to do this thing!" urges, and stay home until we get to some sort of conclusion to this mess.  Video call technology is so good these days that you can at least be in contact, and while nothing beats being in the same room, having a drink, having some laughs: people need to realise and accept that we won't be going back to that for a very long time.  There is no "back to normal" from this, there will be a new normal and it is a long time coming.  I miss my family so loving much, my parents are in their late 70s, I'd planned on seeing them MORE starting in 2020.  I realise though that now is not the time, and it is not a luxury that I get to treat myself to.

Every time you hear about a nation having a new spike (New Zealand, poor Portugal who is now devastated, etc), it always turns out that they let some British bastards in to spread their filth, and look where they end up.  

I genuinely believe that we have handled this situation worse than ever other country on Earth.  At least in America you kind of know, gently caress it you're on your own.  Here we've lurched from one policy to another.  Like...we opened schools for one day and then arbitrarily closed them the next day?  Told all pubs and businesses to prepare to open around Christmas and then had them close up shop weeks later?  It's like they don't realise how much loving preparation needs to go into these things.  The amount of different prep that goes into teaching in person Vs teaching from home.  Telling people they'll be doing one and then doing the other is insane!  

When I speak to people from other countries, they're shocked at our response.  These figures are from late January, but: my home town of 870000 people has had 19 deaths.  They re-opened offices LATER than the UK did.  They have closed the border with the US.  And because they took harsh measures, they're on the road to recovery, with very little lost.  

I was speaking with a coworker in Singapore and something that made her jaw drop, was when I told her that I can get on a train without having my temperature taken and having my phone scanned for tracking purposes.  She is going into her office still, and her 30 minutes commute involves: walk to train station.  Temp check and phone scan entering station.  Temp check and phone scan exiting departure station.  Temp check and phone scan entering shopping mall throughfare.  Temp check and phone scan exiting shopping mall.  Temp check and phone scan entering office building.  She's going to bars and restaurants on the weekends!  She still sees all her friends in these places, because they've got the apparatus in place.  

We should have baked this into the furlough scheme.  Instead of the "p-p-p-people will get addicted to furlough!" rhetoric implying that if you're on furlough you're a bad person: we should have made it a voluntary condition of furlough that you join the nation's COVID task force, stationed at your local train station, scanning people to help stop the spread.  Say "COVID took your job, now it's time you take the fight to COVID" or some other shite.  We used blitz spirit propaganda to say "don't let COVID win!  Go out and spend money to show the disease you're not afraid!". Instead of saying "we beat this thing by sacrificing together! Die at the altar of Pret a Manger!".

So yeah, what the gently caress do we do now?  I'm certainly not leaving the house other than for walks any time soon. Credit where credit's due, the vaccine seems to be rolling out well.  But I have zero faith in the government handling the post-vaccine rollback of restrictions well.  They'll allow too much too soon, we'll have a summer just like last year, we'll allow the disease to rip through the school age population (hope your kids didn't enjoy sports, because the lifelong reduced lung capacity they can have if they catch COVID will mean during on the sidelines breathless while their friends play).  And in February 2022, we'll again be locked down in our homes talking about "how could we have got it so wrong?" when a new vaccine-resistant mutation has firmly taken hold and we're back to square one.

And I still won't have seen my loving family.  

Thank god for my wife and our cat, they've made all this bearable and we've had a great time together.  I can also highly recommend subscribing to https://www.thesimplethings.com/ , a wonderful "good news only" magazine with articles about things like naps and the history of posters and nature, with lots of great recipes.  They've pivoted a bit to have a lot of "how to not go spare during lockdown" activities and recommendations.

Also it's Valentine's Day, take time today to tell someone you love that you love them, even if it's a family member.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh no, guys, the number went down, that's not supposed to happen!

Don't worry, our glorious brexit means the number will continue to fall
wait that's bad

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1359883614402584578?s=20

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Marr this morning is full of newspapers and interviews about ending lockdown, going back to the pub, throwing open the school gates etc. It's just loving mental. Will we never learn?!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's all right guys, we did it, we beat Covid, thanks to our Prime Minister, Boris Johnson!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mourning Due posted:

Just chiming in as everyone else is.

A lot of the talk about travel had been about holidays (or "holibobs" as my coworker calls them and I've disgracefully picked up).  I'm in a different boat: I've lived in the UK for 10 years, but born and raised in Canada.  My parents and brother are still there.  Either I'd go there or they'd come here at least once a year, and sometimes we'd double up.  We doubled up in 2018 so said, let's skip 2019, and then in 2020 my mom was coming here in March, the whole family in August, and my wife and her family would all go there for Christmas.

I've now not seen my family in nearly two and a half years.  I'd love to go and see them, but I haven't and I won't, because it is so irresponsible to travel about with this thing ongoing.  I have to act like an adult, repress my "but I WANT to do this thing!" urges, and stay home until we get to some sort of conclusion to this mess.  Video call technology is so good these days that you can at least be in contact, and while nothing beats being in the same room, having a drink, having some laughs: people need to realise and accept that we won't be going back to that for a very long time.  There is no "back to normal" from this, there will be a new normal and it is a long time coming.  I miss my family so loving much, my parents are in their late 70s, I'd planned on seeing them MORE starting in 2020.  I realise though that now is not the time, and it is not a luxury that I get to treat myself to.

Every time you hear about a nation having a new spike (New Zealand, poor Portugal who is now devastated, etc), it always turns out that they let some British bastards in to spread their filth, and look where they end up.  

I genuinely believe that we have handled this situation worse than ever other country on Earth.  At least in America you kind of know, gently caress it you're on your own.  Here we've lurched from one policy to another.  Like...we opened schools for one day and then arbitrarily closed them the next day?  Told all pubs and businesses to prepare to open around Christmas and then had them close up shop weeks later?  It's like they don't realise how much loving preparation needs to go into these things.  The amount of different prep that goes into teaching in person Vs teaching from home.  Telling people they'll be doing one and then doing the other is insane!  

When I speak to people from other countries, they're shocked at our response.  These figures are from late January, but: my home town of 870000 people has had 19 deaths.  They re-opened offices LATER than the UK did.  They have closed the border with the US.  And because they took harsh measures, they're on the road to recovery, with very little lost.  

I was speaking with a coworker in Singapore and something that made her jaw drop, was when I told her that I can get on a train without having my temperature taken and having my phone scanned for tracking purposes.  She is going into her office still, and her 30 minutes commute involves: walk to train station.  Temp check and phone scan entering station.  Temp check and phone scan exiting departure station.  Temp check and phone scan entering shopping mall throughfare.  Temp check and phone scan exiting shopping mall.  Temp check and phone scan entering office building.  She's going to bars and restaurants on the weekends!  She still sees all her friends in these places, because they've got the apparatus in place.  

We should have baked this into the furlough scheme.  Instead of the "p-p-p-people will get addicted to furlough!" rhetoric implying that if you're on furlough you're a bad person: we should have made it a voluntary condition of furlough that you join the nation's COVID task force, stationed at your local train station, scanning people to help stop the spread.  Say "COVID took your job, now it's time you take the fight to COVID" or some other shite.  We used blitz spirit propaganda to say "don't let COVID win!  Go out and spend money to show the disease you're not afraid!". Instead of saying "we beat this thing by sacrificing together! Die at the altar of Pret a Manger!".

So yeah, what the gently caress do we do now?  I'm certainly not leaving the house other than for walks any time soon. Credit where credit's due, the vaccine seems to be rolling out well.  But I have zero faith in the government handling the post-vaccine rollback of restrictions well.  They'll allow too much too soon, we'll have a summer just like last year, we'll allow the disease to rip through the school age population (hope your kids didn't enjoy sports, because the lifelong reduced lung capacity they can have if they catch COVID will mean during on the sidelines breathless while their friends play).  And in February 2022, we'll again be locked down in our homes talking about "how could we have got it so wrong?" when a new vaccine-resistant mutation has firmly taken hold and we're back to square one.

And I still won't have seen my loving family.  

Thank god for my wife and our cat, they've made all this bearable and we've had a great time together.  I can also highly recommend subscribing to https://www.thesimplethings.com/ , a wonderful "good news only" magazine with articles about things like naps and the history of posters and nature, with lots of great recipes.  They've pivoted a bit to have a lot of "how to not go spare during lockdown" activities and recommendations.

Also it's Valentine's Day, take time today to tell someone you love that you love them, even if it's a family member.

Terrific post, heartily endorsed. I was meant to go to South Africa in May 2020 fir my sister’s 50th, joining my brother from Toronto, and getting a chance to see my parents and sublings. No idea when I’ll next see any of them again.

A failure to see how important holidays and trips are for other people even if they aren’t important for oneself is a failure of imagination and empathy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Matt_Dean1994/status/1360748588020695045

*trueanon theme plays*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It really is a bunch of useless middle aged farts having a midlife crisis.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Why is this still a thing. Like nobody believes it

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1360705440804462597?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1360891186060414976?s=19

Sorry this really needs the follow-up

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1360893621369786370?s=19

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

lmao we are never ever going to be free from this virus.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Vitamin P posted:

If all citizens equally recieve a resource that the wealthy luxuriat and business fliers disproportionately use and a single specific market mechanism would allow that resource to be traded then you are insane to say it wouldn't be an incredibly efficient wealth transfer mechanism. It would also be politically popular, or at least achievable, because '99% of people get money directly from the richest 1%, it's not charity or taxation it's The Market' is npt a contentious or difficult concept it's populist in the best possible way.

Reducing CO2 emissions is a far more a populist concept than wealth redistribution at the moment because we're a society of millionaires and temporarily embarrassed millionaires.
So hide your redistribution agenda behind your climate change rather than the other way round?

As far as implementation goes- allowing a market for allowances can have negative effects of giving rich people a license to pollute and creating cost fluctuations that make it hard for ordinary people to plan.
A system that is redistributive through taxation is far more efficient at delivering public benefit than creating a market where the rich send a broker to pick up a million air-miles at the homeless shelter while the middle classes trade air-mile futures.

I'd propose a non transferrable annual allowance of say first two journeys or 1000km is free. That's the competitive limit of rail vs air flight in Europe so people have a realistic option to preserve their allowance and still make frequent trips.
Anything over that gets a surcharge per km and journey which increases as you pass usage thresholds.
It allows people to keep their annual holiday to Tenerife while coming down heavily on frequent and long distance fliers. The cost is easy to work out as long as you know your current usage and could easily be validated as part of check-in.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Jose posted:

So, a secret tunnel where goods don't need to be checked and anything can happen...

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Re cruises, the MTS Oceanis is a good story. The boat sinks off the coast of South Africa, the captain and boat driving crew gently caress off in the lifeboats, rescue is organised by the ship's magician

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiuK7qcxU4

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The government is just fundamentally unable or unwilling to govern. All they know how to do is act destructively and ban things, and the only COVID tactic compatible with that is lockdown to varying degrees, so that’s what we’ve got.

They cannot or will not create anything (e.g. a track and trace system, a reliable quarantine procedure) and so they’re just going to keep pressing and releasing the lockdown button until enough people have been vaccinated that they can forget all about it and move on to destroying something else.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

man has a Nazi level obsession with mega projects

also how is this meant to solve the issue of customs barriers

I mean it wont, obviously, but are they even pretending it will

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/amphitryoniades/status/1360899495077240835?s=19

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

XMNN posted:

man has a Nazi level obsession with mega projects

also how is this meant to solve the issue of customs barriers

I mean it wont, obviously, but are they even pretending it will

It's just an excuse to throw massive wads of cash at his mates.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's just an excuse to throw massive wads of cash at his mates.

No, I think it’s more that he comes up with grandiose ideas that he knows won’t even pass a feasibility study but throws them out there to appear bold and visionary, and to have something else to which his name is attached.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

therattle posted:

No, I think it’s more that he comes up with grandiose ideas that he knows won’t even pass a feasibility study but throws them out there to appear bold and visionary, and to have something else to which his name is attached.

But also the feasibility study is done through one of his mates.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

crispix posted:

i think covid is a levelling event the like of which is unprecedented in our lifetimes

lol COVID just worsened the inequality by more than 3 trillion dollars, and exposed the fact that there's one rule for the rich and another for the rest, but people are just going along with it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

lol he's just like "some people won't see this antisemitism as antisemitic, something which never happens with obvious bits of racism"

beginning to think he might be a moron tbh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really tired of these hacks just saying everything they don't like is a left wing conspiracy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Endjinneer posted:

Reducing CO2 emissions is a far more a populist concept than wealth redistribution at the moment because we're a society of millionaires and temporarily embarrassed millionaires.
So hide your redistribution agenda behind your climate change rather than the other way round?
I'm not sure that this is true.

Pretty much everyone can tell that they've been getting worse off.

Hardly anyone can feel the same way about the idea that a billion people might drown or starve or something someday because of a mechanism you need a master's degree to understand and even they keep changing the hows and whens.

It's lovely and selfish but it ties in with a few hundred millennia of selecting for immediate threats on the savanna.

And now there's a bunch of populists who are claiming that the actual reason that you're worst off is that the globalists are making up the other thing.

It's unfortunate, but we're going to have to sell the environmental win on "and here's how it also benefits you!" The fortunate bit is that individual choices don't matter much and you could probably sell "we will bomb the top 100 polluters into rubble and also give you a gift hamper with some nice fudge" as policy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Private Speech posted:

But also the feasibility study is done through one of his mates.

Yeah, none of Boris's big schemes get past the planning stages but the people enlisted to plan it rake in millions.

Like that private Garden Bridge that cost millions and never even started construction.

"Failed London Garden Bridge project cost £53m - BBC News" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-london-47228698

It's a con. It's like you paying me a million quid of someone else's to figure out a way to build a staircase to the moon with no consequences if I fail. Window dressing for corruption.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

thespaceinvader posted:

lol COVID just worsened the inequality by more than 3 trillion dollars, and exposed the fact that there's one rule for the rich and another for the rest, but people are just going along with it.

Also that nobody in power will ever resign over anything again

Oh and they abolished the rule of law with support from Labour

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

namesake posted:

Cruises are just so awful for the environment I was actually hopeful the pandemic would end the industry but I guess not.

They're also completely pointless, as you can easily buy a ticket for transport with a container ship if you are adamant on going somewhere far away the slow, wet route. Container ships all have cabins for traveling tourists and it's even as expensive as taking a cruise ship, plus there's a lot less chance of you getting infected, due to container ships being mostly empty, even with crew and filled transit cabins.

Jose posted:

How is this supposed to "lessen" Brexit tensions? This looks like Britain wanting to circumvent the deal they negotiated. Angering a block of 27 states by blatantly undermining the trade treaty you agreed to with them seems like it would do the exact opposite.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah, none of Boris's big schemes get past the planning stages but the people enlisted to plan it rake in millions.

Like that private Garden Bridge that cost millions and never even started construction.

"Failed London Garden Bridge project cost £53m - BBC News" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-london-47228698

It's a con. It's like you paying me a million quid of someone else's to figure out a way to build a staircase to the moon with no consequences if I fail. Window dressing for corruption.

Thats bad but the bigger problem right now is that this strategy has also been deployed on covid measures as its all he seem to know how to do. Thats why we have dido harding arsing about doing nothing rather than that singapore style setup mentioned earlier.

Libluini posted:

They're also completely pointless, as you can easily buy a ticket for transport with a container ship if you are adamant on going somewhere far away the slow, wet route. Container ships all have cabins for traveling tourists and it's even as expensive as taking a cruise ship, plus there's a lot less chance of you getting infected, due to container ships being mostly empty, even with crew and filled transit cabins.

lol I'm pretty sure container ships dont have like swimmingpools and casinos and bars and magicians and poo poo.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Marmaduke! posted:

It's all right guys, we did it, we beat Covid, thanks to our Prime Minister, Boris Johnson!
*Despite

Jose posted:

Bung a bob for boris to burrow between blighty blub a blub a bloo bloo bloo

OwlFancier posted:

Really tired of these hacks just saying everything they don't like is a left wing conspiracy.
To be fair in this case, i think he's literally saying 'the one on the left' rather than 'left wing.'

Actually no gently caress it, lets go with the kind of disingenuous assumptions he made a book out of.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol I'm pretty sure container ships dont have like swimmingpools and casinos and bars and magicians and poo poo.
They have gambling and alcohol and people who can make things disappear and move from one place to another without ever appearing in the placed between, what more do you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

just need to break into the right container