Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'd pay to go on the ship without a magician

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah, none of Boris's big schemes get past the planning stages but the people enlisted to plan it rake in millions.

Like that private Garden Bridge that cost millions and never even started construction.

"Failed London Garden Bridge project cost £53m - BBC News" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-london-47228698

It's a con. It's like you paying me a million quid of someone else's to figure out a way to build a staircase to the moon with no consequences if I fail. Window dressing for corruption.

I'll always love the Estuary Airport.

Honestly, Boris seemed keener on the big infrastructure projects when he was Mayor than as PM. He seems entirely focused on that loving tunnel to Ireland. It's great. Easier to worry about projects that'll never happen than those that might involve him doing some work.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah Boris's big project obsessions are twofold: one is that he likes to have a bombastic big cool project to waffle vaguely and enthusiastically about.

The other is corruption.

He's just realised that when he's PM he doesn't need the former because he doesn't have to do the after-dinner-speaker circuit any more.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure that this is true.

Pretty much everyone can tell that they've been getting worse off.

Hardly anyone can feel the same way about the idea that a billion people might drown or starve or something someday because of a mechanism you need a master's degree to understand and even they keep changing the hows and whens.

It's lovely and selfish but it ties in with a few hundred millennia of selecting for immediate threats on the savanna.

And now there's a bunch of populists who are claiming that the actual reason that you're worst off is that the globalists are making up the other thing.

It's unfortunate, but we're going to have to sell the environmental win on "and here's how it also benefits you!" The fortunate bit is that individual choices don't matter much and you could probably sell "we will bomb the top 100 polluters into rubble and also give you a gift hamper with some nice fudge" as policy.

People are worse off but there's nothing to help them join the dots with wealth inequality that has prominence like XR or Blue Planet have with climate change. Even though inequality has a more easily deducible individual benefit.
I'd guess this is because rectifying climate change is more compatible with a profit motive than redistribution?
We're used to seeing unhappy pangolin/cut to bulldozer pushing trees over/cut to palmolive bars on a shelf in Boots. We're not used to seeing homeless person under a bridge in Paisley/cut to Anders Holch Povlsen outside a castle/cut to ASOS website.
In the context of reducing air mileage to help solve climate change, it's easier to achieve the same ends by talking about orangutans than the great money trick.
If you talk about redistribution by creating a market for the transfer of air-miles you also lead yourself into a solution where a large number of people receive a small amount of money. That'll make a difference to them, but you can't count on market forces turning it into railway electrification, free buses and rural broadband.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Why is this still a thing. Like nobody believes it

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1360705440804462597?s=19

XMNN posted:

man has a Nazi level obsession with mega projects

also how is this meant to solve the issue of customs barriers

I mean it wont, obviously, but are they even pretending it will

It's as if Johnson thinks that trade barriers are physical, like there's now a wall in the Irish Sea which he can tunnel under to get the lorries through.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

He probably doesn't, but unionist voters, well, they just might.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Bung a bob for boris to burrow between blighty blub a blub a bloo bloo bloo
Bung a bob for a billionnaire banker

Billion bob bung for Boris backers

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

crispix posted:

by way of reconciliation as i seem to have pissed off some people today i will share with you all some photographs that i took (using the camera built into my mobile-telephone) on my walk today. i hope that those of you who did not get to have a lovely walk today will get some enjoyment from seeing photographs taken during my lovely walk on your computer screen/monitor/Visual Display Unit there

https://imgur.com/a/ydcw2Ma

I enjoyed your photos and their captions. Sorry my temper got a bit frayed, you’re a good person and a Good Poster and I hope you post more pictures :)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
FREE SPEECH

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1360720263588020232

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1360721681774505990

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1360722121803132928

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Endjinneer posted:

People are worse off but there's nothing to help them join the dots with wealth inequality that has prominence like XR or Blue Planet have with climate change. Even though inequality has a more easily deducible individual benefit.
I'd guess this is because rectifying climate change is more compatible with a profit motive than redistribution?
We're used to seeing unhappy pangolin/cut to bulldozer pushing trees over/cut to palmolive bars on a shelf in Boots. We're not used to seeing homeless person under a bridge in Paisley/cut to Anders Holch Povlsen outside a castle/cut to ASOS website.
This is why people end up blaming the former on immigrants rather than wealth distribution. They'll probably blame the latter on immigrants too when climate refuge becomes a major issue.

I can't see people getting the same degree of angry about distant pangolins than they did about their rivers being on fire, which kicked off the initial wave of environmental enthusiasm, whereas I can see people being directly angry about being worse off and blaming it on all sorts of things (see also lockdowns, mask mandates, 5G, and global lizards as well as migrants).

e: ^^^ free speech!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snpuJ0Bk88o

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Really interesting choice to head up your article on free speech with a picture of Rowling, Telegraph editor. And then for some reason my dog has just started barking and running around checking all the windows? :confused:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The one thing you need to defend free speech is to fine people for saying things you don't like

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The article is literally about how important it is to stop people from saying bad things about empire :psyduck:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1360893050789183488?s=19

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Always telling that asking for a more complete telling of British history is actually "rewriting British history".

bessantj fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 14, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Why is this still a thing. Like nobody believes it

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1360705440804462597?s=19

Even in the fantasy world where this actually happens, it wouldn’t be completed for like a decade at best. Is this just an admission that we’re going to have these trade issues forever?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Love to live in an openly fascist society that says actually you are the real fascist for not letting me say the n word.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The only political value of free speech is freedom to criticise power so lol that they're openly saying free speech is everything but criticising power.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So the us are trying to do a coup in Ecuador like they did in Bolivia

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Love to live in an openly fascist society that says actually you are the real fascist for not letting me say the n word.

Actually you'll find you're a fascist if you don't say the n-word. Also, the new n-word is nazi and if you call someone that you will go to prison.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

So the us are trying to do a coup in Ecuador like they did in Bolivia

So glad they got the bad guy out.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My big brother has always loved chocolate oranges. His daughter made him a valentines gift of one today but since they couldn't go out she made him one herself.

It amused me so I share.

Happy valentines day goons. Hope you all have a better day than the random person who entered their address wrong and had a large beef brisket, 2 packs of bacon 4 packs of beef stock, a bottle of wine, a load of fresh herbs and some caramel shortbread accidentally delivered to our front door.

Hopefully they figure it out and come back as there's no contact info and the delivery driver was already driving away as I opened the door.

Called the company and it went straight to voicemail. Emailed them too going hey! Uh. What.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mebh posted:

My big brother has always loved chocolate oranges. His daughter made him a valentines gift of one today but since they couldn't go out she made him one herself.

It amused me so I share.

Happy valentines day goons. Hope you all have a better day than the random person who entered their address wrong and had a large beef brisket, 2 packs of bacon 4 packs of beef stock, a bottle of wine, a load of fresh herbs and some caramel shortbread accidentally delivered to our front door.

Hopefully they figure it out and come back as there's no contact info and the delivery driver was already driving away as I opened the door.

Called the company and it went straight to voicemail. Emailed them too going hey! Uh. What.

Getting the Christingle done early I see.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Baddiel seems to be having a normal one

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

So glad they got the bad guy out.

The left wing party who are not the government have clearly rigged the election so they win

Lol cool

https://twitter.com/adamhamdy/status/1360876177339129856?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheRat posted:

Baddiel seems to be having a normal one

:yikes:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You know I do wonder about the whole raging of old people about "doing Britain down" and being proud of the empire and our history stuff.

I've never bought into it because I grew up with the Internet and made as many friends across the world from various other cultures as I did in real life. I find the idea of being proud of Britain screwing people over and "one upping the forrins" appalling as these are my friends. They're not some nameless terror over the hills coming to steal my resources.

I felt the same about us with the vaccine supply. Vaguely sick and not really surprised that the one thing we're good at is screwing someone else over. Especially if they're a minority from another country.

Is it just as simple as the Internet divide? Unfettered access as a kid to talk to other people across the world then as a result feeling comfortable enough to go live abroad for a decade as an adult.

Versus your standard tory voter, never viewing other countries or classes of people as anything but a needy scrounging set of others who would take all your poo poo if they could.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

The left wing party who are not the government have clearly rigged the election so they win

Lol cool

https://twitter.com/adamhamdy/status/1360876177339129856?s=19

The gov have learnt they can withstand that number of deaths, reward their cronies and go up in the polls

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1050391663552671744?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think generally there is a divide between people who have access to information they aren't spoon fed by the government and people who don't, which the internet can facilitate but so could other things.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mebh posted:

I find the idea of being proud of Britain screwing people over and "one upping the forrins" appalling as these are my friends.

People that are proud of empire would dispute this description I imagine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

You know I do wonder about the whole raging of old people about "doing Britain down" and being proud of the empire and our history stuff.

I've never bought into it because I grew up with the Internet and made as many friends across the world from various other cultures as I did in real life. I find the idea of being proud of Britain screwing people over and "one upping the forrins" appalling as these are my friends. They're not some nameless terror over the hills coming to steal my resources.
There was a period of a few weeks where I kept getting poo poo like this as adverts on facebook

and I'm not quite sure who it's for.

Like fortunately I was taught history as a way of looking at sources and trying to be critical of them, but I was never explicitly taught to do that about the idea of Empire, I had to learn that outside of the default educational environment (it's pretty easy when you learn any history told from outside of the UK), but all of the poo poo in there seems like the default lens through which the Empire was viewed until recently. It's not the "politically incorrect" version, it's the default political version if you never approached it critically at all, and I had to find the alternative takes elsewhere.

Which makes me wonder who this poo poo is actually for. Express readers who want their own biases reaffirming, including the secret belief that all school history lessons are a big blackboard whiteboard BAMEboard with "cis hetero white english men are evil" written on it in huge letters? And so somehow also need those beliefs to be alternative and edgy and non-PC to be brave culture warriors?

https://twitter.com/kevinmkruse/status/1306731548826374145

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Fakename posted:

Even in the fantasy world where this actually happens, it wouldn’t be completed for like a decade at best. Is this just an admission that we’re going to have these trade issues forever?

It will never be completed. If they're dumb enough to actually try building it, the EU will soon after stop laughing and use political pressure to stop the project. And if Dictator Johnson stubbornly continues the project, it'll be blown up by French depth charges long before completion. Or the UK just collapses under a blockade, whichever happens first. Either way, the idea is dumb and stillborn. It's pure graft for whoever can get the money to then not build anything.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Deliveroo is pushing for eat out to help out sequel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Libluini posted:

It will never be completed. If they're dumb enough to actually try building it, the EU will soon after stop laughing and use political pressure to stop the project. And if Dictator Johnson stubbornly continues the project, it'll be blown up by French depth charges long before completion. Or the UK just collapses under a blockade, whichever happens first. Either way, the idea is dumb and stillborn. It's pure graft for whoever can get the money to then not build anything.

It's a tunnel to Northern Ireland, so the EU may point and laugh but they won't actually care.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Deliveroo is pushing for eat out to help out sequel.

Surely they make loads more money from full lockdown?

Oct 4, 2005

Construction alone on the channel tunnel took six years.

I imagine Bojo will chuck millions at his friends for "feasibility studies" before quietly dropping the project.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a tunnel to Northern Ireland, so the EU may point and laugh but they won't actually care.

Yeah and it wouldn't even change anything about the trade barriers, which is the funniest part.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

There are I think about 5 ships a day from Liverpool to NI and back. If more carriage is required can he free market not increase that? What does the tunnel provide in either material or political terms that we don't already have?

Nothing obviously, its a bung. But it is so obviously pointless that surely even the most credulous torygraph reader would question it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

stev posted:

Surely they make loads more money from full lockdown?

It's loads of restaurants too. I guess deliveroo was just a succinct and useful name to put in the BBC headline. I also guess if all the restaurants go out of business that's bad for deliveroo even with their secret dark kitchens.