Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Yay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'm really happy about this Paxton move. Too bad we couldn't also get Felix.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Why would the cubs not offer Lester anything abd watch him aign for $5 million in DC and then bring back a possibly worse arrieta at $6 million? Why get rid of Schwarb for 8 million then bring in joc who is almost exactly the same for 7 mill? Why get rid of almora then bring in another all glove no bat guy in marisnick? If they're going to tank, then why not let me watch the World Series guys who i love suck for a combined total of like 2 million more?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Feel-good signing of the season until Jerry trades him at the deadline

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

Why would the cubs not offer Lester anything abd watch him aign for $5 million in DC and then bring back a possibly worse arrieta at $6 million? Why get rid of Schwarb for 8 million then bring in joc who is almost exactly the same for 7 mill? Why get rid of almora then bring in another all glove no bat guy in marisnick? If they're going to tank, then why not let me watch the World Series guys who i love suck for a combined total of like 2 million more?

Too lazy to go hunt down all the tweets but from comments Hoyer and Crane Kelly made it sounds like they very recently got a bump to the team budget because of more favorable COVID projections, which let them go out and pick up Joc and Jake.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

The Pussy Boss posted:

Feel-good signing of the season until Jerry trades him at the deadline

I hear the Yankees are short on starting pitching

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Too lazy to go hunt down all the tweets but from comments Hoyer and Crane Kelly made it sounds like they very recently got a bump to the team budget because of more favorable COVID projections, which let them go out and pick up Joc and Jake.

Tom realized he didn't have to bank roll Trumps impeachment defense anymore?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Popete posted:

Tom realized he didn't have to bank roll Trumps impeachment defense anymore?

Trump 2024 fund has plenty of cash now apparently.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mustached Demon posted:

Trump 2024 fund has plenty of cash now apparently.

His campaign raised more than $200 million in the first 30 days after the election, yes.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
So JP Arencibia and Tomi Lahren are apparently "a thing."

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Hand Knit posted:

:barf:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Can’t believe a gusano has a right wing gf wow

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
So is MLB Opening Day confirmed or is that still being negotiated?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Extremely owns that Paxton is back and hopefully is almost all of 2020 off did wonders for his body to recover. I think he would do a lot better in a 6 man rotation.

Right now Mariners have:
Gonzalez
Kikuchi
Sheffield
Flexen
Paxton
Dunn / Margevicius

That's... okay. But I know Logan Gilbert is probably coming up, with George Kirby and Emerson Hancock not far behind.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
https://twitter.com/aaronfitt/status/1360995363541446658?s=20
Gearing up for what will probably be the weirdest season in college baseball history, between the covid cancellations and the lingering effects from last season—very short draft, fifth-year eligibility, etc.—which mean that a lot of players who would have signed pro contracts last year will be on college rosters instead.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

elentar posted:

Gearing up for what will probably be the weirdest season in college baseball history, between the covid cancellations and the lingering effects from last season—very short draft, fifth-year eligibility, etc.—which mean that a lot of players who would have signed pro contracts last year will be on college rosters instead.
Yes and there's going to be another short draft this year

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

So is MLB Opening Day confirmed or is that still being negotiated?

All 30 teams are scheduled to have games on April 1. But God only knows if that'll actually happen; pitchers and catchers start reporting over the next few days, so get ready for a wave of positive COVID tests.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
The Mariners were trying to get me to buy season tickets yesterday. Everything is going to race to the dumbest possible outcomes.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Shiroc posted:

The Mariners were trying to get me to buy season tickets yesterday. Everything is going to race to the dumbest possible outcomes.

I'd be super surprised if Inslee let's games with crowds happen in April

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

elentar posted:

If covid takes TWO likely Omaha-bound gator teams :argh:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Weird that he didn't strikeout against a righty

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just because I really like Foolish Baseball (and fantasy-booking a whole league), I want to bring this back up. His ideas:
    On Field:
  • 18 second pitch clock with bases empty
  • 62' Pitcher mound distance
  • Ban Shift
  • Un-juice the ball (agree)
  • 12-team playoffs

Front Office:
  • Living Wage for minor leaguers (agree)
  • 140m salary floor, 210m salary cap
  • Service time starts with addition to the 40-man (agree)

Future of the game:
  • Double RBI's budget
  • Donations for schools/parks (agree)
  • Free Tickets M-Th(?!)
  • More MiLB coverage on MLB.tv (agree)
My disagrees:
-Pitch clocks are dumb and time between pitches isn't the problem.
-It is too radical to change the mound distance
-The shift is good. Learn2hit scrub
-12-team playoff bad. Win your division, scrub. I could see a case for adding 2 teams and splitting AL/NL play again, and creating 4 divisions in each league, so you only have 3 other teams you're playing against for a playoff spot, but this would necessitate the elimination of the (very dumb) WC slot and (dumber) WC play-in game.
---
-I'd do away with the salary cap, but peg the salary floor at 1/3 the average salary of the 5 highest payrolls, and also have it set to never lower (so there's no collusion incentive).
-BONUS: If you finish last in your division 4 years in a row, it triggers an automatic sale of your team.
---
-Quadruple RBI's budget and incentivize tons more youth play
-Instead of free tickets, make it like it was in the '20s: tickets after the 2nd inning are 50¢ if you bring a child under 12. Get kids to the ballpark any way you can

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 15, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

shirts and skins posted:

Having trouble imagining this guy in a Mariners uniform, just doesn't seem to track :v:

welcome back K-Pax, remember to peel the banana before eating it

I mean who wouldn't want this kind of mental fortitude on their team

https://twitter.com/beardedroseguy/status/1360793375255896067

This happened no more than like 200 feet from where I was sitting it was crazy lol.

Best we could tell the bird just got incredibly confused from all the noise and just found the closest/tallest person to land on since it couldn't find its trainer

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Shrecknet posted:

Just because I really like Foolish Baseball (and fantasy-booking a whole league), I want to bring this back up.

Those are about where my quibbles are too!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shrecknet posted:

Just because I really like Foolish Baseball (and fantasy-booking a whole league), I want to bring this back up. His ideas:
    On Field:
  • 18 second pitch clock with bases empty
  • 62' Pitcher mound distance
  • Ban Shift
  • Un-juice the ball (agree)
  • 12-team playoffs

Front Office:
  • Living Wage for minor leaguers (agree)
  • 140m salary floor, 210m salary cap
  • Service time starts with addition to the 40-man (agree)

Future of the game:
  • Double RBI's budget
  • Donations for schools/parks (agree)
  • Free Tickets M-Th(?!)
  • More MiLB coverage on MLB.tv (agree)
My disagrees:
-It is too radical to change the mound distance
-The shift is good. Learn2hit scrub
-12-team playoff bad. Win your division, scrub. I could see a case for adding 2 teams and splitting AL/NL play again, and creating 4 divisions in each league, so you only have 3 other teams you're playing against for a playoff spot, but this would necessitate the elimination of the (very dumb) WC slot and (dumber) WC play-in game.
---
-I'd do away with the salary cap, but peg the salary floor at 1/3 the average salary of the 5 highest payrolls, and also have it set to never lower (so there's no collusion incentive).
-BONUS: If you finish last in your division 4 years in a row, it triggers an automatic sale of your team.
---
-Quadruple RBI's budget and incentivize tons more youth play
-Instead of free tickets, make it like it was in the '20s: tickets after the 2nd inning are 50¢ if you bring a child under 12. Get kids to the ballpark any way you can

I'd do the pitch clock but otherwise I'm just about where you are. Also incentivize free and deeply discounted tickets to get asses in seats. And no blackouts. Ever.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

Research shows there are essentially two reasons why games are longer now than 50 years ago:
-longer commercial breaks (never getting rid of this under capitalism)
-time between pitches

Time between pitches is also what makes a game *feel* sluggish and slow. They should work on reducing it, but they could do so without an explicit pitch clock. NPB has incentives for this on the hitting and pitching side, where teams and players get fined/rewarded for being habitually above/below the benchmark.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Research shows there are essentially two reasons why games are longer now than 50 years ago:
-longer commercial breaks (never getting rid of this under capitalism)
-time between pitches

Time between pitches is also what makes a game *feel* sluggish and slow. They should work on reducing it, but they could do so without an explicit pitch clock. NPB has incentives for this on the hitting and pitching side, where teams and players get fined/rewarded for being habitually above/below the benchmark.

Just go back to rules-as-written: batters can request time to step out at go on a Nomar-level fiddle with their gear, but umps are under no compunction to grant it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shrecknet posted:

Just go back to rules-as-written: batters can request time to step out at go on a Nomar-level fiddle with their gear, but umps are under no compunction to grant it.

This is the thing. A pitch clock isn't needed, the problem is hitters who take time to adjust their gloves, tap dust off the cleats, adjust their grip and scratch their nuts after every goddamn pitch. It's already in the Official Rules that a batter needs permission to step out of the box, the umpires just refuse to actually enforce it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I don't like the pitch clock, but I feel like it's inevitable. Salary cap no thanks, never not once. Banning the shift is dumb, there is a clear and obvious way to beat it. Service time manipulation needs to go, no more gaming the system by calling someone up at a certain date to get an extra year. Not a fan of moving the mount either back or up/down

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Its Rinaldo posted:

I'd be super surprised if Inslee let's games with crowds happen in April

With restaurants and bars are already open, I see no way that the sports teams don't push some dumbass 'we'll be at limited capacity, social distancing etc etc' thing and he caves on that too.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

If you thought Joe West's completely arbitrary calling of balks are bad, wait til you see how sassy he would get allowing only certain batters to step out.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Shrecknet posted:

LOL.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Was Arencibia the guy who supposedly said "Trade me, human being" to the Jays GM?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Timby posted:

This is the thing. A pitch clock isn't needed, the problem is hitters who take time to adjust their gloves, tap dust off the cleats, adjust their grip and scratch their nuts after every goddamn pitch. It's already in the Official Rules that a batter needs permission to step out of the box, the umpires just refuse to actually enforce it.
Yeah. If a mosquito flies into your ear or something, yeah sure you get a time out. Otherwise once you come set, you don't leave that batter's box, and if you do, the pitcher just keeps on pitching.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Do you people watch baseball? When batters step in, pitchers hold the ball for 10+ seconds on a regular basis... then the batter steps out and they repeat.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Was Arencibia the guy who supposedly said "Trade me, human being" to the Jays GM?

I don’t remember anything like this story at all.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not sure, but I think he was the guy whose Instagram followed accounts were a long list of JUICY ASSES and BIG BUTTS DAILY and the like.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Keone Kela to Padres apparently, god drat

Best free agent pitcher signing a California team has made all winter

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

This is harder to enforce in practice and why the NPB system makes sense. League sets a target game time and maybe pitch time? I think they punish/reward at the team level, so guys have incentive to not take forever and get their teammates angry about a fine. Or maybe this was KBO? I forget, it’s been awhile since I read about it.

Relying on the umpires to always enforce it is a fool’s errand imo.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

ProperCoochie posted:

Not sure, but I think he was the guy whose Instagram followed accounts were a long list of JUICY ASSES and BIG BUTTS DAILY and the like.

Think that was probably Brett Lawrie