Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gaunab posted:

What's a sitcom with a nerdy dad and a cool son?

Alf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Outnumbered kind of gets there once the oldest son is up into his teens. Uncool dad and cool son, anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gaunab posted:

not exactly a dad, but fresh prince?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Yeah, just like I think tall people are dumb and smell like cabbage and rear end.

It's funny when you think about it. All those pictures in your head of historical figures are wrong when it comes to height. Caesar was 5' 7" middling tall for his time but shorter than my daughter who is not particularly tall. Napoleon was 5' 6" average for his time but we imagine him being short. Washington was very tall for his time, but middling tall now. 300 the movie has Leonidas as a huge intimidating man but he would probably have been about 5' 7" as well. Teeny tiny people.

I have a friend from South Sudan. She's about 6' 2". One of her brothers was 6' 11", another is 7' 2". Can you imagine running across people like that when you thought you were tall at 5'10"? They would seem like literal giants.

I'm 6' so I have no opinion about either tall or short people. Except that one guy in college that was about 5' 4". No shame in it. It's still normal, but he hung out with basketball players so he always tried to act cool. They were walking down to the front in a lecture hall by stepping over the stadium seats, he tried to do the same and racked himself. It was hilarious watching him try to pretend that he didn't smash up his boys. Short man's syndrome. It's OK to be short, it's OK to be tall. No one cares unless you make a fuss about it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Tunicate posted:

not exactly a dad, but fresh prince?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1cLOIxsQ8

Checks out.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The only good family sitcom was Grounded for Life.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
The Mods & Admins are Sex Pests, Pedos, and Sex-Pest-and-Pedo Enablers

Eh! Frank has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Mar 16, 2021

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

oldpainless posted:

Would Goof Troop count?

Only this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKqs1JLDbp4

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mostlygray posted:

It's funny when you think about it. All those pictures in your head of historical figures are wrong when it comes to height.

You see the same thing when it comes to age especially when it comes to criminals or pirates. Edward Teach (Blackbeard) is usually portrayed as a crusty older man but he never made it to 40.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

You see the same thing when it comes to age especially when it comes to criminals or pirates. Edward Teach (Blackbeard) is usually portrayed as a crusty older man but he never made it to 40.

hell of a lot of road miles tho

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Gaunab posted:

2 and a Half Men?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gaunab posted:

Does King of the Hill count as a sitcom?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

RareAcumen posted:

Does King of the Hill count as a sitcom?

Are you trying to imply that propane and propane accessories are "nerdy"?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Or that Bobby isn't

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gaunab posted:

3rd Rock from the Sun

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

muscles like this! posted:

I bet if you met him he'd look closer to 70 though. My grandfather died almost 60 years ago, he was only 55. He looked almost exactly like my dad does today at 80.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also he was from Bristol where everyone is born 37 years old.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Or that Bobby isn't

Well, Bobby's cooler than his dad so I thought that counted.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The only good family sitcom was Grounded for Life.

:hfive:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

RareAcumen posted:

Well, Bobby's cooler than his dad so I thought that counted.

if bobby's so cool how come he got gout

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Eating organ meats is cool.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Eh! Frank posted:

though tbh I never watched "Grounded For Life". And I feel like I've posted about "Still Standing" before, I must be a Still-Standing-stan

It was the best of the fat man and hot wife genre.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On the fat man/hot wife" dichotomy:

Has that ever been gender-swapped? I.E. you have a normal looking woman married to a really hot man? Or I suppose a I love Lucy situation with the calm and competent handsome husband being married to a wacky funny woman-child of a wife who is beneath him? (Lucile Ball is awesome both as a real woman and her character)

What are some sitcoms/TV shows/movies with this trope?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Dharma and Greg? Greg was supposed to be the sensible, conservative lawyer to Dharma's hippy, new age free spirit yoga instructor.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BrigadierSensible posted:

Has that ever been gender-swapped? I.E. you have a normal looking woman married to a really hot man? Or I suppose a I love Lucy situation with the calm and competent handsome husband being married to a wacky funny woman-child of a wife who is beneath him? (Lucile Ball is awesome both as a real woman and her character)

That dude in Boardwalk Empire, tall handsome Sicilian dude whose wife is made up and acted the exact opposite. Although, he gets off on the insults, so maybe not a good example.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of sitcom stereotypes, AMC is working on a show called "Kevin Can F___ Himself" where the show will switch between multicam and single camera sitcom styles as it follows what happens to a traditional sitcom wife "off screen" from the normal sitcom shenanigans.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

American housewife? But they keep stressing that Katy Mixon's character was hotter and more popular and had a career before she had kids. Maybe it's not a good example after all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

if bobby's so cool how come he got gout

By living life to the fullest.

Discussion in Wandavision kinda brings up that the fat slob husband/hot housewife thing actually was biggest in the 90s. Married With Children comes to mind, though I think Al is supposed to have been a hot hunky football player long gone to seed. I suppose it was still the backlash against the whole 'father knows best' thing without really changing much else about the formula.

Gumball comes to mind as taking it to the point where the fat slob husband is explicitly lazy and unemployed while the wife is the one who actually does stuff, though the show plays with that as showing that him actually getting a job and being competent at it breaks the universe.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think that would come off as pretty offensive, since the fat man/hot wife depends heavily on the husband being a complete loser buffoon (which is where the comedy comes from) and the wife being a supernaturally intelligent and conventionally attractive authority figure with real power over the husband.

I think "dumb, fat wife consistently fucks up everything she tries while a handsome muscleman mocks her as she tries to apologize" wouldn't exactly fly in any era.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Incredible himbo Jefferson D'Arcy and his wife Marcy D'Arcy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I know the point of Demolition Man is that they're all naive and don't understand criminals anymore, but like...locking restraints with a simple verbal password? You couldn't have at least made it require a key too? You have retina scanners so it's not like you're totally trusting the honor system here. Maybe use one of the three seashells as a key, I don't know.

The best part is that in 30 years, apparently everybody except one wizened old man has forgotten what crime is.

You know, like how nobody remembers what the 90s was like today.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Morpheus posted:

The best part is that in 30 years, apparently everybody except one wizened old man has forgotten what crime is.

You know, like how nobody remembers what the 90s was like today.

Yeah it is incredibly goofy how most of the cast is old enough to remember the world before.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Wasn't it more like 70 years? They mention his wife dying of old age and his daughter now being in an old people's home.

EDIT: Nope, 36 years.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 07:53 on Feb 14, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
He was sentenced to 70 years, not sure how long he was actually in there for.

Also isn't one of the plot points that he was conscious the entire time in the freeze? Dude should have been completely insane.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Well, at least I didn't pull the number totally out of my arse.

Maybe the training they pushed into his brain kept him sane? Otherwise, yeah, he should been insane beyond imaging when he defrosted.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 11:00 on Feb 14, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The new Tomb Raider film is pretty forgettable, but one thing stands out. Lara is essentially cosplaying being poor. At any time she can sign some papers and get loads of money but we're still supposed to feel sympathy for her as she has to sell some amulet she got from her mother.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
"Common People" is never a good look.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Alhazred posted:

The new Tomb Raider film is pretty forgettable, but one thing stands out. Lara is essentially cosplaying being poor. At any time she can sign some papers and get loads of money but we're still supposed to feel sympathy for her as she has to sell some amulet she got from her mother.

Its SUPER dumb. The movie justifies it by saying that "If she signs the papers it means she accepts that her father is dead", but... No? He's already been declared legally dead, if she signs the papers the only thing that would change would be that she would have access to a bunch of money she could use to, oh I dont know, FINANCE THE SEARCH FOR HER FATHER SHES DESPERATE TO DO. And it didnt go anywhere either! I initially assumed "oh, something she learned or a friend she made while being a bike courier in london will be important later on", but NOPE, never comes up again once she leaves London to search for her father (a task which, I cannot emphasize enough, would have been made much easier and more effective with access to millions of pounds).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Then it turns out that she had probably achieved more by just not going to the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Alhazred posted:

Then it turns out that she had probably achieved more by just not going to the island.

Yeah, but I hold that to be "In the tradition of indiana jones" tbh, so that doesnt bother me.