Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PMush Perfect posted:

This will also include me going more in depth into the existence of Pokémon Stadium JPN, the actual first game that only includes the most popular competitive Pokémon at the time. (Venusaur but no Bulba or Ivy, etc.)
Stadium 1 is... certainly a game that exists. And I'd love to learn more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
It's interesting to me that Stadium 1 is very slightly different compared to Gen 1, at least comparatively to Stadium 2 to Gen 2, where I can't think of really any differences between those two games. I believe PMush has already touched on some of the differences throughout the LP, but having most of them catalogued into one update will be pretty swell.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I can even talk about the changes made between the localization of what they call Pokemon Stadium 2 and what we call Pokemon Stadium 1. (What we call Pokemon Stadium 2, they call Pokemon Stadium GS. Early Pokemon localization was... weird.)

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I'm curious if the movesets for the rental Pokemon are actually viable in the version. Considering that there are only competitive pokemon there's no reason to give Charmander Fire Blast and Charizard Fire Spin if there is no charmander.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I'm curious if the movesets for the rental Pokemon are actually viable in the version. Considering that there are only competitive pokemon there's no reason to give Charmander Fire Blast and Charizard Fire Spin if there is no charmander.

The whole thing as basically just a vehicle for official tournaments so being able to play with "tournament ready" movesets feels like it'd go hand in hand

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

Without getting into specifics, yes, most of them are very usable now. I can only think of Vaporeon, and it's still usable, but it's actually worse than in our version.

FlamingRok fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 24, 2021

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I bought a really lovely game guide mostly for the horrible cover (https://imgur.com/a/MlGf8cJ)and the writer apparently imported the original JP-exclusive for the 3D renders and it sounds fascinating. (This game guide also game out so early that it didn't have Yellow in US and referred to the Pokemon after Mewtwo as Myu.)

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Bogart posted:

I bought a really lovely game guide mostly for the horrible cover (https://imgur.com/a/MlGf8cJ)and the writer apparently imported the original JP-exclusive for the 3D renders and it sounds fascinating. (This game guide also game out so early that it didn't have Yellow in US and referred to the Pokemon after Mewtwo as Myu.)

What the actual gently caress is that cover.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Bogart posted:

I have that too, its very....interesting. It also lists the Green version (labeled as just 3rd C(art)) encounter tables and a lot of random things are inconsistently untranslated. The encounter tables (which are...shockingly accurate crossreferencing the numbers and levels with bulbapedia) for the Mansion has grimer listed as "Betobetan" in one table but "Grimer" in another on the same page or the sabrina teleporter maze has her as "Natsume".

Quirky little time capsule

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

its the time honored tradition of wanting to hit while the iron's hot but not actually allowed to use official stock art or designs because youre an unauthorized guide.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you really squint, they kinda look like Charizard and a couple of Paras. What they really look like, though, is Monster Rancher monsters.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

That character on the cover is straight out of a "How to Draw Anime" book from the 90's lmao

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

WrightOfWay posted:

That character on the cover is straight out of a "How to Draw Anime" book from the 90's lmao

Thank you, it was bugging me I couldn't put my finger on where I'd seen that kind of look before.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
If you want some spoilers (I don't so I haven't watched it), Games Done Quick did a Pokemon Stadium Randomizer race with IAteYourPie and SpikeVegeta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEietqwDeJA

It's almost 4 hours long :stare:

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

Oh right the rental randomizer challenge. I can confirm there are some spoilers, but most of the video is what we've gotten to in this thread. Spoilers start around the 2:20:30 mark for those who are curious about the video.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 24: It's Another Daunting Pokemon!

Why do I even still show this part off? You know how these go by now. Our prize is TM38, Fire Blast. It's literally the only Fire-type TM in RBY, and it's been earmarked for one specific Pokemon from the very beginning. But more on that next update.

I'd intended to have a few other bits of gameplay in between Cinnabar and Viridian, except we've already cleared the Power Plant, and as much of the Seafoam Islands as I want to touch. There's some grinding off-screen, but that's about it.

No, the vast majority of this update is going to be jumping straight into Stadium Giovanni's gym. And hoo boy, what a gym it is.

Most of our team should be very familiar by now, even packing almost exactly the same stats as before, with a few added points here and there from extra Stat XP from grinding to the new max level: 50.

And 50 is a very magical level, because it means we get to do something wonderful.

We get to use the legendary birds. Zapdos is extremely rude and doesn't learn Thunder until you level it up once, but Articuno has no such issues. All our boy THE FONZ here needs is the Fly HM, and he's ready to roll. He'll get Blizzard and Agility by 55 and become truly spectacular, but for now, this is more than enough.

(Hyper Beam is mostly just there because why the gently caress not.)

Not all of these Pokemon are good, but all of them have at least decent movesets, with some being downright excellent. And then there's the loving Moltres. I don't know if I'm upset that it has Fire Spin or glad that it doesn't have Fire Blast, but either way, I am extremely glad that it's slower than TONIC and RAVESTAR.

Speaking of RAVESTAR, with its spread of coverage moves and general lack of Special tanks, Starmie is the best opener, not fearing much except possibly a Spore from Parasect.

That is, of course, exactly what happens.

We're now one Pokemon down, but it's not exactly hard to even up the score with Parasect's absolutely abysmal defenses.

Persian makes an admirable attempt to get back momentum, even managing to paralyze THE FONZ with its second Body Slam, but it's not enough to stand up to the Ice Beams fired back in return.

And Golbat is just not equipped to do anything with the opportunity Persian gave it.

Not seeing Moltres was nice, but even if we had, BIGGER BEN was waiting in the back with a Rock Slide primed and ready to punish a Fire Spin miss.

Losses: 0

You remember how, way back when, I said there was a reason Double Team was banned in competitive? LAB MAN here took that to heart.

His Pokemon choices are somewhat lacking, though, not really having the bulk to stack multiple boosts, or the offenses to punish misses.

Which is a polite way of saying that they suck.

I've rated more than half of Coolguy's Pokemon at 4.0 or better, and all of them have some extremely formidable moves. Zapdos's Thunder and Tentacruel's Hydro Pump are particularly scary. Even Pinsir is just enough of a threat to be annoying.

Especially when it does that.

This battle actually involves a lot of switching, as Coolguy is one of the rare enemies who isn't always content to leave a Pokemon at a disadvantage in just because it has a decent attack option, and I'm not stupid enough to try to have BIGGER BEN take on an Omastar.

At that point, though, I've scouted enough of his team for TONIC to do his thing.

DOCTOR GUN takes out Clefable with just enough effort that Pinsir can finish the job.

TONIC returns the favor. Once again, this is a battle that theoretically could have gone much worse if he'd chosen different Pokemon, but I again still had BIGGER BEN in the back.

I'm starting to think I might actually be getting good at this game.

Giovanni's got a lot of pretty strong Pokemon here, though Ground's lacking resistances really hampers him. Persian doesn't have quite the special necessary to make those coverage moves threatening, either.

Tauros does, though! :rip:

Once DOCTOR GUN comes in, Giovanni decides to keep using Fire Blast. This is actually a legitimate strategy in Gen 1 competitive for the Tauros mirror, especially if you're at a disadvantage in remaining HP; Fire Blast has a 30% burn chance, and a burnt Tauros is significantly less threatening.

Going for the long shot doesn't quite work out for him, though, and DOCTOR GUN gets the momentum to not just take out Tauros, but also his Persian, and come within a hair's breadth of sweeping his whole drat team.

He doesn't quite seal the deal, but it's enough for RAVESTAR to finish the job.

Total Losses: 0

Despite the solid teams and genuinely scary Pokemon present, I'd say this was actually easier than Cinnabar Gym. Aside from Tauros, none of the truly scary Pokemon showed up, which meant we had a pretty easy path through it all. Things might have gone differently if the AIs had decided to play hardball.

I wonder if our next opponents will be so merciful.

Next Time on Multi-Track Battling: Another loving cave.

Complete Available Roster
5.0:
4.5:
4.0:
3.5:
3.0:
2.5:
2.0:
1.5:
1.0:
Other:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 5, 2021

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You really breezed through that one with surprising ease.

Isn't Fly a HM, though?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Geemer posted:

Isn't Fly a HM, though?
Yes it is! Thank you, fixed. This is what happens when you power through finishing an update despite it being gently caress o'clock in the morning.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If the Moltres and/or Zapdos was involved, I would've said:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You're making the Gym Leader Castle look easy. That's impressive.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

EorayMel posted:

If the Moltres and/or Zapdos was involved, I would've said:

PMush made the trainers say this instead

good working against Giovanni!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

an expertly crafted sweep, well done

enjoy your strength puzzles :unsmigghh:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Geemer posted:

Isn't Fly a HM, though?

It's not too bad importing a bunch of rear end kickers with sweet move sets. The way options were so stupidly limited early on and open up over time has given things an interesting difficulty curve. This is probably the easiest point of the lp even though the enemy teams have ramped up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's amazing what you can accomplish with the power of a Starmie with Psychic and Thunder.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Nicely done, and it's wonderful to see your triumphant return.

The AI absolutely went easy on you, though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

The AI absolutely went easy on you, though.
Oh, for sure. I had answers for Moltres and Zapdos, but that doesn't mean I would've been able to just sleep on dealing with them. (Okay, BIGGER BEN probably would've wrecked Zapdos's poo poo, but Moltres would be much less of a sure thing. loving Fire Spin spam.)

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I have a big silly grin on my face whenever DOCTOR GUN comes out. What a good name. What a good mon.

Good luck with the caves! Did you bring your repels?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 25: They Strike Fighting Poses!

Giovanni isn't much more difficult than any of the other times we've faced him. Our reward, Fissure, is a one-hit KO move that I will be using precisely never. There are some interesting quirks to OHKO moves in Gen 1, but I'll go over those if they ever become relevant.

With the max level of our next battle rocketing well past 50 (65, to be precise), and the extra Stat XP being something I'd very much like to get, we have some choices to make. Going past level 55 locks a Pokemon out of being used in certain Stadium-specific activities. Ones I'm very much gunning for. So we have to pick who's getting pushed past that limit.

More importantly, I'll be doing the Elite Four and the Rival in a single long run (though it will probably still be two updates), and that means this is my last chance to decide who gets into the Hall of Fame. And, as much as I'd like to just roll through with the best Pokemon at our disposal, I think there are a few old faithful standbys who deserve the payoff for all their hard work.

As a side note, in the year months since we last used Hypno, I have unfortunately learned that the previous name we used for her is the same as the name of a Pokemon in the fangame that shall not be named. Her name is now MAMBO FRED, and I may eventually even go back and change things in those old updates, depending on the level of effort it'd take.

Yes, MAMBO FRED is currently the name of our Lapras, but I have other plans for her, and the name is too good to just waste.

Now, onward and upward, to our final obstacles. Our old and greatest foe has returned. And, despite a close call in yet another several month delay, we're ready to defeat him for the penultimate time.

"It's not the last step of the climb that's most difficult, but the first."
- PMush Pretentious

There's something else we have to do first, though: Victory Road.

I'm not a huge fan of most of the cave dungeons in this game, but I'll admit Victory Road isn't the worst. The path is linear, the boulder puzzles are fairly simple, and the random encounters consist mostly of just stronger versions of the same old suspects. It's not particularly creative, but it isn't too annoying, either.

There are even a few interesting, strong trainers, and one very nice TM: Explosion. The list of Pokemon that can learn it is shorter than I'd like, but for those that can, it's a wonderful desperation move.

And one other thing worth grabbing.

Moltres
Viability: 4.0/5
The third of the legendary birds has many of the same excellent qualities as its siblings. However, it also has a few flaws that limit its potential. First, Fire/Flying is a horrendous defensive typing, making it weak not just to Rock and Electric, but Water and, in RBY, Ice. That's right, Moltres is the only Fire-type we have access to that's weak to Ice-type attacks. And the types it hits super-effectively with its twin STABs have a depressing amount of overlap.

Fire's a rare type, though, and it has Fire Spin, an excellent move, right? Yes, but that is the only Fire move it learns naturally. No Flamethrower, no Fire Blast, not even Ember. Giving it a powerful STAB move that doesn't require a turn of charge up (either Fly or Sky Attack) requires using the incredibly useful Fire Blast TM, something quite a few good Pokemon would love to get as a coverage move.

Something with the stats and sweeping potential of a Legendary Pokemon can never be rated too low, especially with 125 Special and Agility, but it's still probably the least threatening of the three.

And with that slight anticlimax behind us, we're finally ready. After a year and a half of hard work, of grinding and strategizing and ridiculous luck, I stand before the final challenges this castle has for me.

Next Time on Multi-Track Battling: Let's kick some rear end.

Complete Available Roster
5.0:
4.5:
4.0:
3.5:
3.0:
2.5:
2.0:
1.5:
1.0:
Other:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 15, 2021

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

PMush Perfect posted:

That's right, Moltres is the only Fire Pokemon in Generation 1 to be weak to Ice-type attacks.

Surely it shares this property with Charizard though?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Explopyro posted:

Surely it shares this property with Charizard though?
I half-changed my sentence there but apparently forgot to actually complete the change. :negative:

What I'd meant to say is that it's the only Fire type we have access to that's weak to Ice.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Fire Spin + Agility can be pretty fun, especially coming off of Moltres' great special and STAB, but Fire Spin's terrible 70% accuracy will definitely gently caress you over occasionally.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

PMush Perfect posted:

I half-changed my sentence there but apparently forgot to actually complete the change. :negative:

What I'd meant to say is that it's the only Fire type we have access to that's weak to Ice.

Does fire not resist ice in this gen?

hosed up, if true. I thought Charizard (and Moltres) showing being weak to ice was a result of a programming quirk where the game would only display type effectiveness of the Pokemon's first type. So, an ice type attack on Gyarados will display as being super effective, but it's not actually doing super-effective damage.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

Fire in fact does not resist ice, correct! Part of why Charizard isn't really a great answer to Ice types while Ninetales or Arcanine are.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

hosed up, if true.

FlamingRok posted:

Fire in fact does not resist ice, correct! Part of why Charizard isn't really a great answer to Ice types while Ninetales or Arcanine are.
Gen 1 is exceptionally weird.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Reminder that this is the gen where psychic is immune to ghost, despite all non-game media acting like psychic should be weak to ghost. But also it didn't matter since ghost's only non-set damage move was Lick, and all the ghosts are part poison so psychics can trash them anyway.

Sometimes I wonder how surprised the original Pokemon team is that people cobbled together a competitive scene out of this mess.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I can sorta get it with Ye Olde RPG Logick of fire and ice being mutually effective against each other.

Not so much with water being a separate element, sure, but.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Silver Falcon posted:

hosed up, if true. I thought Charizard (and Moltres) showing being weak to ice was a result of a programming quirk where the game would only display type effectiveness of the Pokemon's first type. So, an ice type attack on Gyarados will display as being super effective, but it's not actually doing super-effective damage.

It's actually even quirkier: the priority for which message is displayed is the reverse of the internal order that type matchups are stored in the data! :eng101: So that attack on Gyarados would be shown as SE because Ice -> Flying is the 31st entry on the list of matchups and Ice -> Water is the 28th.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Gen 1 also has poison and bug mutually super-effective against each other. Which is also why its the only game in the series with a Pokemon that has 3 4X weaknesses (RIP Parasect)

Lot of weird stuff got ironed out in Gen 2 and beyond.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

Gen 3 onwards is probably the most consistent in terms of mechanics (outside of the physical/special split obviously), there's definitely still some jank in Gen 2 that's already been covered in depth by Crosspiece in their Crystal playthrough. As far as I can tell, none of it differs from Stadium 2 (Stadium GS) either, with the exception of maaaaybe Berserk Gene? That thing is pretty undocumented in terms of Stadium 2 because it's a bad item anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

FlamingRok posted:

Gen 3 onwards is probably the most consistent in terms of mechanics (outside of the physical/special split obviously), there's definitely still some jank in Gen 2 that's already been covered in depth by Crosspiece in their Crystal playthrough. As far as I can tell, none of it differs from Stadium 2 (Stadium GS) either, with the exception of maaaaybe Berserk Gene? That thing is pretty undocumented in terms of Stadium 2 because it's a bad item anyways.

There's like 2 'mons in Stadium 2 you can fight that carry a Berserk Gene, I think the GLC's Rocket Kabutops and Prime Cup's Blackbelt Primeape. And you maaaybe see it in a very lucky Challenge Cup permutation.

Back to Gen 1 jank, some of my favorite jank is how Kinesis, a very bad and useless move, actually couldn't be learned by the Abra family in original red/blue because it learned too many moves at level one and it got overwritten with the 5th, and the only way to actually use it is getting lucky via Metronome, when even a Sand-Attack is functionally better because 100% accuracy :v: