Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

If you need a lot of stone, undermining the giant stone pillars in the plains will cause them to break and drop tons of it. This also works for copper mining but its not always as useful for that, depending on the size of the copper node.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hey thread. Trying to learn this game since I have a bunch of friends playing this but these kinds of game are extremely not for me - the only one in this style I've ever enjoyed was Subnautica. But I'm trying!

But I think I softlocked my character? I couldn't figure out how building worked and I currently have a broken hammer and a workbench with no roof over it so I can't use it (???). Am I just boned here or is there something I'm missing, I'm not looking to spend more minutes in the refund window stumbling around and ruining potential enjoyment of a game.

edit: Lightbulub went off - I guess maybe I can just go into one of their games and have one built for me?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

weekly font posted:

Hey thread. Trying to learn this game since I have a bunch of friends playing this but these kinds of game are extremely not for me - the only one in this style I've ever enjoyed was Subnautica. But I'm trying!

But I think I softlocked my character? I couldn't figure out how building worked and I currently have a broken hammer and a workbench with no roof over it so I can't use it (???). Am I just boned here or is there something I'm missing, I'm not looking to spend more minutes in the refund window stumbling around and ruining potential enjoyment of a game.

Build a new hammer, you can craft a limited amount of things without needing a bench by hitting Tab, you should be able to find what you need for it just lying around (3 wood, two stones. Turn vegetation to low in the game settings to turn off grass and make all the rocks suddenly appear. Find branches to pick up for the wood you need). As for the roof over the workbench you don't have to build an entire building for it, just put a 2x1 wood wall directly behind it and use one of the ^ shaped roof pieces that are in the hammer build menu to hang over the workbench.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I want to open my place up to randos but my compound is right next to the spawning altar.

Solo is very slow going but I just made a cart and I'm hoping to start going apeshit on ore.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran
Was enjoying this, then decided to quit for the day. Hit the "Logout" button, and turned to do something else for a few moments leaving the game at the main menu screen, then the power went out briefly due to a storm. Loaded game back up, save game and character were corrupted. Apparently this is a common issue right now with no known fixes. There is an old save backup in your save game directory SOMETIMES, but it lost quite a few hours for me.

Some people have had 50+ hour saves completely wiped out, and not even for sudden power outages, but just ALT-F4'ing the game. The weird thing for me is that I had exited back to the main menu successfully, so why the save game would be prone to corruption at that point is beyond me.

So word to the wise, don't exit the game right now any other way than through the normal menus.

Vietnom nom nom fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 14, 2021

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I fought a troll on top of a copper deposit and he smashed it up all nice for me before I killed him, thanks bro :)

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I fought a troll on top of a copper deposit and he smashed it up all nice for me before I killed him, thanks bro :)

That is a great way to mine!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone done the third boss solo and got some tips? Gave him a shot but had to retreat because gently caress that.
Already have poison resistance potions mead.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone done the third boss solo and got some tips? Gave him a shot but had to retreat because gently caress that.

Poison resistance, medium healing, good food (sausages especially), bring a mace and a shield. Dude hates blunt damage and is easy to block. Biggest issue with fighting him will probably just be stamina, since you'll be perpetually wet. If you hang back from his AoE attack that's a good opportunity to let it recharge.

Also, deal with the mobs he spawns ASAP or they'll just end up swarming you.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 14, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

He sucks big time. Blunt damage works best. Worst part of the fight were the endless adds and the fact that we were constantly in water thus stamina drain.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Alright, I'll make an iron mace and try again. Felt like I wasn't doing enough with the Altgeir. Cheers!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Broken Cog posted:

he never attacked me twice in a row so once you block the first swing you get almost a full stamina bar of hitting him while he pukes up more slimes

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Thanks to whoever proposed switching servers to mine, we were desperate for the red glow cubes and I finally just switched to a private server and had enough in 15 minutes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How often to the dungeons/burial mounds reset?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just hit the swamp and it's really taken the wind out of my sails- mining the huge volumes of scrap iron for armor is incredibly boring, and it feels like I saw all there was to see of the zone in the first 30 minutes... is this a good time to take a break for a few months and wait for more content, or does it pick up once I set up whatever I need for the mountains?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Is there a way to repair broken equipment? Do I need to just keep making new tools?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

grate deceiver posted:

Is there a way to repair broken equipment? Do I need to just keep making new tools?

On the workbench a small repair hammer icon just left of the crafting list lets you repair most things

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

grate deceiver posted:

Repair them at the workbench or forge by clicking the hammer icon on the right. It's totally free to do so mash that button with impunity.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

How often to the dungeons/burial mounds reset?

I don't think they do. We cleared a burial crypt like 80 game days ago and it's still empty.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

haldolium posted:

On the workbench a small repair hammer icon just left of the crafting list lets you repair most things

ooooohhhh, that's what that is. thanks!

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Omi no Kami posted:

I just hit the swamp and it's really taken the wind out of my sails- mining the huge volumes of scrap iron for armor is incredibly boring, and it feels like I saw all there was to see of the zone in the first 30 minutes... is this a good time to take a break for a few months and wait for more content, or does it pick up once I set up whatever I need for the mountains?

The swamp sucks rear end, but it's not that hard to get the iron you need if you can find the dungeons. You can easily get 20-30 per run plus there are sometimes bonus chests in the dungeons with more iron. Plop a fire at the entrance to dry off and regain stamina, and mine every last chunk of the scrap heaps blocking the doors. You only need I think 60 for the full set, plus you'll want a pickaxe, probably a bow, and a mace/shield for the next boss.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
I've had upwards of 100 iron from a single crypt at times. (I now have iron everything fully upgraded barring the weapons I don't use, which was probably overkill.)

So, just in case you didn't think hauling copper/tin/iron ore was bad enough, silver ore is 20% heavier still and dragging a cart across a mountainside is certainly ... something.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Midgetskydiver posted:

I don't think they do. We cleared a burial crypt like 80 game days ago and it's still empty.

Well gently caress.

If you pilfered the cubes but died and cant find your corpse then you could maybe not be able to make a forge.

Weird game.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Find an indestructible tree and build a fire at the base. Preferably a tree that he can't path around. Build a small building to run back to quickly and easily. Dry off and heal up rapidly. Go in swinging and chug stamina potions then rush back out. I got lucky and his ai couldn't get through a big root that I could get under. I ended up sneaking under it to hit him for about 1/8 of his health bar then tanking about half of my own health in damage. I'd go back over to heal up while he sat there doing nothing on the other side of the tree. Rinse and repeat. He is a bastard to try to fight fairly or head on solo.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Inzombiac posted:

Well gently caress.

If you pilfered the cubes but died and cant find your corpse then you could maybe not be able to make a forge.

Weird game.

Oh there are plenty of crypts around, they are all over the place in the forests. No worries.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

thark posted:

I've had upwards of 100 iron from a single crypt at times. (I now have iron everything fully upgraded barring the weapons I don't use, which was probably overkill.)

So, just in case you didn't think hauling copper/tin/iron ore was bad enough, silver ore is 20% heavier still and dragging a cart across a mountainside is certainly ... something.

I didn't even bother with a cart, that would be a nightmare, it was bad enough in the black forest.

If you've found the vendor, you can buy the belt that increases carry capacity by 150 and I was able to get 23ish per run, my forge was just a bit away from the bottom of the mountain so it wasn't horrible.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Inzombiac posted:

Well gently caress.

Weird game.

theres waaaay more cores than you'll need and if you somehow ran out you could just go to another world and root around there for them.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Shredder posted:

The swamp sucks rear end, but it's not that hard to get the iron you need if you can find the dungeons. You can easily get 20-30 per run plus there are sometimes bonus chests in the dungeons with more iron. Plop a fire at the entrance to dry off and regain stamina, and mine every last chunk of the scrap heaps blocking the doors. You only need I think 60 for the full set, plus you'll want a pickaxe, probably a bow, and a mace/shield for the next boss.

You need iron for later gear sets as well.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Shredder posted:

I didn't even bother with a cart, that would be a nightmare, it was bad enough in the black forest.

If you've found the vendor, you can buy the belt that increases carry capacity by 150 and I was able to get 23ish per run, my forge was just a bit away from the bottom of the mountain so it wasn't horrible.

I mean by the time you're mining silver you should have found at least one flame vent and so forges and charcoal for everyone everywhere always woo woo

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
We're at the swamps, and I'm starting to get a bit overwhelmed with the sheer amount of crap everywhere that needs to be dealt with. All of the mobs drop their poo poo everywhere that my character will happily vacuum up, all of the recipes need ingredients that have to be gathered from various different biomes, the 'can't take metal through portals' really annoys me because all of the crafting upgrade stations are back at our main base, and our forward base in the swamp doesn't have them and I just can't be bothered to go and mine and smelt MORE copper to build them all again. Meanwhile I still need leather scraps and deer pelts for weapons, I constantly need a fuckton of wood for the coal to run the smelters, and all in all it's really starting to build up to the point where I log in, discover I need a dozen different resources gathered from all over the drat place, my inventory is over half filled just with food and gear, and decide that I can't really be bothered.

But when we're actually out exploring and delving into crypts and fighting off an attack, the game is amazing, and the atmosphere of it constantly blows me away. I just hope they tone down the ridiculousness of the crafting requirements and do something to tidy up the massive amounts of unavoidable crap that ends up cluttering the place.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Iron weighing even more after being smelted into bars sure is A Design Decision, too.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I saw a suggestion that you could upgrade portals with each tier of metal. So once you've got Iron, infuse your portal with it which allows you to teleport tin/copper/bronze. And then whatever the next metal after Iron is, the same deal. That would fix my issues with the system entirely, while not trivializing mining.

The way the world is designed, it seems as if the game encourages you to build new bases every time you advance to a new biome. We have four now. But the metal teleporting restrictions means that each one, if you want it to be as effective as your last one, you're stuck re-mining all the old metals again. It's boring and not enjoyable. We already spent hours on the bronze grind, and it was fine. I want to leave it behind now and progress to the next stage, not regress back.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 14, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just use the boat to ferry ores, that's why it has a storage built into it. No need to set up a new smelter base.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
nah the metal shipping process is a fun part of the loop, latest ausgoon adventures were loving metal
need iron
take the carve for some long discovery expeditions
find a big swamp with multiple crypts
land and build a portal
raid several crypts to get about 200 iron, multiple deaths and corpse runs made easier with the portal
have to sail back the heavy ship and fight off numerous sea serpents, some of the most stressful times in my life
get back home after a 30min trip with multiple repair stops
build a whole heap of iron
rinse and repeat

just take appropriate mats to build a portal where you land so you can ferry mats back and forth and leave the metal for a proper expedition, removing that from the game would remove a big part of the loop
we're up to the mountain biome and just finding adequate sized area has been a challenge so far, might need to go on another long expedition
wish there was some kind of map table you could collectively uncover the map with though to make collective exploration more manageable

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

GruntyThrst posted:

You need iron for later gear sets as well.

True but once you beat the swamp boss you get the wishbone and there is loving iron everywhere in the swamp

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Just use the boat to ferry ores, that's why it has a storage built into it. No need to set up a new smelter base.

Get a load of Mr. Unlimited Free Time over here.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

This seems nuts to me. We had to travel a long way to find a decent sized swamp that actually had crypts in it. The first one we found nearest the elder was a tiny patch without even a single one. We'd be talking a half hour journey each way just to smelt some metal. I don't think the game would suffer if you smoothed out that process a little and made it easier to get your new forward bases up to scratch with your old ones.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I set up my main base on the coast of the first Black Forest I came across after starting, and I have 3 swamp biomes within 10 minutes boat trips, so it seems I have been extremely lucky in that case.
Though I also spent some time mapping out the surrounding islands at some point.

Edit: A single boat trip with the Karve lets one person carry 120 ores + whatever they can carry on their body, so you really don't need many trips.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 15, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So I have two theories about the mystery man who keeps appearing and then vanishing: it's either Odin or the last boss who I suspect is some kind of Lich based on his stone image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

If it's not Odin they messed up.