Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Biplane posted:

God drat what a piece of poo poo that guy is.

A navy vet and a BP agent who has served his country for decades

Now gtfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Nastier Nate posted:

god drat, what a piece of poo poo that guy is

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

Now gtfo

I’m not interested in pretending it isn’t loving rad as hell when horrible things happen to horrible people

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Nastier Nate posted:

Now gtfo

lmfao, this isn't D&D my dude

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Guy who terrorized black and brown people overseas and now terrorizes immigrants coming to the US. Truly a man of the people. :patriot:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Guy who terrorized black and brown people overseas and now terrorizes immigrants coming to the US. Truly a man of the people. :patriot:

They said serving the country, not serving the people. (Although that's not true, either.)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jetz0r posted:

god drat, what a piece of poo poo that guy is

quote:

He was assigned to work one of the same bridges he’d crossed as a teen, and an agent who had given him a hard time back then became his colleague. His co-workers told him he looked like an undocumented immigrant, and they nicknamed him “la nutria,” after an invasive aquatic rodent that swims the Rio Grande—but now he was in on the joke. After long shifts, Rodriguez and his buddies would hang out together, drinking beer late into the night in the bridge parking lot.

Sometimes, he recognized employees of a Texas furniture factory, where he’d been a security guard, as they reentered the United States. One guy was so proud of Rodriguez for becoming an agent that he sought out his inspection lane just to see him in uniform. Rodriguez knew the man worked at the factory, in violation of the tourist visa he held. “Why did you have to come through my lane?” Rodriguez asked, before canceling his visa. He revoked about 10 workers’ papers this way.

quote:

“On one hand they’re very proud of us, because to work for the government—that’s a lofty thing in Mexico,” Anita said. “But then on the other hand, traicionero—you're a traitor, because you're deporting your own people.” Rodriguez says he never let that stop him: Too much empathy could lead an agent to bend the rules. But some cases did haunt him.

quote:

The fraudulent document had come to light because Rodriguez had petitioned for one of his brothers in Mexico to get a green card. An officer with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the agency that issues green cards, flagged the petition because Rodriguez’s Texas-issued birth certificate had been registered by a midwife who was later convicted of fraud. (According to The Washington Post, government officials have said that cases against midwives during the 1990s uncovered roughly 15,000 falsely registered babies born in Mexico.) Rodriguez now had no legal status in the country, and was fired from Customs and Border Protection for failing to meet a basic condition of employment: U.S. citizenship.

COLLATERAL DAMAGE

quote:

He thought his father might have a serious illness. Rodriguez began to tell Raul Jr. about the midwife, the acta, and Margarito’s confession. Raul Jr.’s disbelief gave way to panic when his father explained that he, too, would likely lose his citizenship.

quote:

Former colleagues who noticed Rodriguez’s absence but were not privy to the details of his case figured that he’d been fired for corruption. He’s always been “chueco,” a retired agent named John Garcia told me he overheard someone say at work. Crooked. Just as Rodriguez had once cut ties with his undocumented family members, agents began to avoid eye contact when they saw him in public, at restaurants or the grocery store. “They treat him like he's a pariah,” Anita told me.

quote:

If deported, he would live on family property in Tamaulipas. The State Department’s “Do not travel” warning to U.S. citizens says of the area: “Murder, armed robbery, carjacking, kidnapping, extortion, and sexual assault [are] common along the northern border.” As an agent, Rodriguez had put traffickers in jail, and his face is widely recognizable from his years on the bridge. “I don’t know how long I can survive,” he told me.

quote:

Despite those risks, Rodriguez dismissed the idea that he should apply for asylum—a legal pathway to U.S. residence that the Trump administration has sought to eradicate, claiming it is rife with fraud. “I'm not going to do it that way. I'd rather get deported,” Rodriguez said. “I'm going to practice what I preach.”

As the cartels roll up and pour out of their cars, his last thoughts were "I always obeyed the law and I am 100% okay with this"

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Biplane posted:

God drat what a piece of poo poo that guy is.

This guy? What about his wife:

quote:

Anita had grown up in Southern California, where immigration enforcement was a part of everyday life. As a kid, she would prank her undocumented cousins by yelling “La migra!” just to watch them run.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

The Nastier Nate posted:

Now gtfo

oh wow! did he serve his country?! for decades??!? oh man! holy crap!! that’s incredible! wow!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Clearly he should just leave of his own accord since he believes in the mission so much, I'm sure he'll just go ahead and turn himself in.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

As a child, he’d admired immigration agents’ crisp uniforms and air of authority. When he grew into a teenager, though, agents began to question him more aggressively, doubting his citizenship despite his Texas-issued birth certificate. He chalked it up to simple prejudice, no different from the white students at Sharyland High who provoked him to fistfights by calling him “wetback.”

Wow sounds like you should be out there protesting agains-

quote:

He decided he’d defy their stereotypes by one day becoming an agent himself.

:psyduck:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Border Patrol officers noticed the homeless family and began bringing them food, water, and even Christmas presents. “Nobody was taking care of us except those Border Patrol agents,” Anita told me. “I wanted to be like them.” Her own father had moved to the United States from Mexico, and she wanted to help facilitate immigration. “The name of your company is Immigration and Naturalization Service,” she remembered an instructor at the academy saying. “I took that to heart.”

Not anymore it's not lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

He was assigned to work one of the same bridges he’d crossed as a teen, and an agent who had given him a hard time back then became his colleague. His co-workers told him he looked like an undocumented immigrant, and they nicknamed him “la nutria,” after an invasive aquatic rodent that swims the Rio Grande—but now he was in on the joke.

Narrator: He was not, in fact, in on the joke

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Karia posted:

Eh, you group up Mexican, this is a thing.

A lovely thing, but still.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

Now gtfo

quote:

In his early years as an officer, an English-speaking teenager walked up to him on the bridge from the Mexican side. Quiet and alert, the kid was not unlike Rodriguez had been at that age, except for his lack of papers. He admitted that he’d been living illegally in the U.S. most of his life; he needed to return to continue high school. Rodriguez asked why he had risked a trip to Mexico if he knew he wouldn’t be allowed back into the U.S. The boy explained that his grandmother had died and he’d gone to pay his respects before she was buried. “I wanted to see her one last time,” he said. Rodriguez told him his best hope for returning was to one day marry a U.S. citizen. But for now, Rodriguez had little doubt about the rules. He sent the teen back to Mexico.

That night, the boy attempted to swim across the Rio Grande. Agents found his body floating beneath the bridge the next morning.

quote:

Any parent could see the separations were inhumane, Rodriguez told me. Someone in Washington had taken the crackdown too far. But what could he do, as a nobody on the bridge? He told trainee officers, “Leave your heart at home.” He focused on his sense of duty and followed orders.
Seriously, this man is a loving monster, and deserves every terrible thing that happens to him. The fact that it's the loving abhorrent system he's served for decades doing it to him is just loving poetic.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

e: lmao we hit the same paragraph ^

quote:

Anita told me that when people of Mexican heritage become agents, their family members tend to be ambivalent. “On one hand they’re very proud of us, because to work for the government—that’s a lofty thing in Mexico,” Anita said. “But then on the other hand, traicionero—you're a traitor, because you're deporting your own people.” Rodriguez says he never let that stop him: Too much empathy could lead an agent to bend the rules. But some cases did haunt him.

In his early years as an officer, an English-speaking teenager walked up to him on the bridge from the Mexican side. Quiet and alert, the kid was not unlike Rodriguez had been at that age, except for his lack of papers. He admitted that he’d been living illegally in the U.S. most of his life; he needed to return to continue high school. Rodriguez asked why he had risked a trip to Mexico if he knew he wouldn’t be allowed back into the U.S. The boy explained that his grandmother had died and he’d gone to pay his respects before she was buried. “I wanted to see her one last time,” he said. Rodriguez told him his best hope for returning was to one day marry a U.S. citizen. But for now, Rodriguez had little doubt about the rules. He sent the teen back to Mexico.

"I'll show those nazis who gave me poo poo and beat me up as a kid, I'll be the best drat nazi I can be and make them all jealous!!" is just such a baffling loving conclusion to reach, goddamn.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

To be fair it described his military career as "mopping the floors and driving a bus around a base" so at least he wasn't a nazi there too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lmfao at first I had a little sympathy despite being a border patrol thug but the more detail the more he deserved it. Holy hell. This country creates people without the barest sense of community. I dunno how he managed to survive the navy without a little empathy. Must have been an officer.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

Now gtfo

:lol: the man is scum.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

This guy's a concentration camp guard or near enough

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Larry Parrish posted:

Lmfao at first I had a little sympathy despite being a border patrol thug but the more detail the more he deserved it. Holy hell. This country creates people without the barest sense of community. I dunno how he managed to survive the navy without a little empathy. Must have been an officer.

I mean people internalizing the system even as the system is actively hostile is fairly universal

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

The weirdest thing about it is it sounds like he did have a sense of community, instilled by his father:

quote:

His father, Margarito, had tutored Rodriguez in a strict vision of right and wrong. A farmer who wore a sweat-stained cowboy hat and a polyester shirt, Margarito kept big bags of cash at home earmarked for his agricultural co-op members’ hospital bills and funeral costs. He made sure Rodriguez understood that he never skimmed off the communal funds, though he could have gotten away with it. While other members bought new cars with stolen money, Margarito walked around town on foot asking for rides. “Always do the right thing, no matter what,” he told Rodriguez.

But then his dad tacked on this weirdness:

quote:

Now Margarito advised him that, as an immigration agent, he must enforce the law no matter what—no exceptions, not even for family.

And that apparently hosed him up for life.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

so did he get kicked out or what

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
He basically admitted he's a known figure and has busted multiple drug traffickers and would be in risk of serious harm and death if deported.

But refuses to try for asylum because he's not some lying scheming scum looking for a handout like all those others degenerates trying to sneak into America.

Normal "insane" people will be too proud to take food stamps. This guy is too proud to loving stay alive.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its hosed that its possible to have an honorable discharge and not be a citizen if the recruiter didn't bother to fill out the form right. Not that I'm a fan of recruiting from the Pacific islands and Central America but the least the loving feds could do is make it so an honorable discharge counts as citizenship no matter what.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

indigi posted:

so did he get kicked out or what

Nope lol

quote:

When Homeland Security finished its investigation into Rodriguez, a prosecutor from the U.S. attorney’s office in McAllen declined to charge him with any crimes.

quote:

He applied to become a lawful permanent resident as the spouse of a U.S. citizen, and was forthright in his interview. Yes, he told the official, he had made a false claim to U.S. citizenship, but only because he hadn’t known the truth. Yes, he had voted in a federal election as an undocumented immigrant. He expected no special treatment, just the pension, health benefits, and safety from deportation he felt he’d earned through his nearly two decades at CBP. With some patience, he was confident that he could get his status sorted out. By last fall, he had been waiting for a response for almost a year and a half.

Rodriguez says he can now see the impacts of immigration enforcement that he once preferred to leave unexamined. “I can relate to people who I turned back, people that I deported,” he said. “They call it karma.”

Still, he doesn’t regret his service, and distinguishes himself from other unauthorized immigrants. “There are a lot of people trying to do it the easier way,” he told me. “I just found out, and I’m trying to do it correctly.”

gently caress you so much

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

four thousand loving words to try to make you feel sorry for a loving monster getting hosed by the other loving monsters he worked alongside for nearly twenty loving years

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Its hosed that its possible to have an honorable discharge and not be a citizen if the recruiter didn't bother to fill out the form right.

I could not care less about the entitlement vets feel they should have

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oneiros posted:

four thousand loving words to try to make you feel sorry for a loving monster getting hosed by the other loving monsters he worked alongside for nearly twenty loving years

I'm not even sure if it's trying to make you feel sorry for him, if it is it's doing a terrible job.

Like listen to the closing paragraph, it kinda sounds like the reporter's conclusion is "yeah this is the reality you loving moron"

quote:

In our interviews, Rodriguez said he understood that the government had to apply the rules to him the way it did to everyone else—his undocumented relatives, his former co-workers, and the boy who drowned under the bridge. But he drew a distinction between how he’d carried out his duties and how officials were handling his case. “I wasn’t being strict; I was just abiding by what the law says,” he told me. “And these people are not doing what the law says.” He believed that he still qualified for an exemption provided by the law for those who make a false claim to U.S. citizenship unwittingly. But in its denial letter, USCIS said it could not make an exception for Rodriguez even if he was unaware of his status at the time, citing recent precedent. Still, Rodriguez held out hope that he could convince the agency to reverse its decision. Immigration lawyers told me, however, that federal officials are granting fewer exceptions across the board. “Apply the right laws, and apply the right rules,” Rodriguez told me. He believed the agency was singling him out unfairly. “Treat me the same—that’s all I want.” His problem might be that it already is.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

I'm not even sure if it's trying to make you feel sorry for him, if it is it's doing a terrible job.

Like listen to the closing paragraph, it kinda sounds like the reporter's conclusion is "yeah this is the reality you loving moron"

Yeah, maybe I'm just completely disassociated from the views of the average American, but every time that article started to make me feel bad for the dude, the next sentence was like "oh, yeah, dude is totally okay with murdering children" or something.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the video version with his father staring tearfully off into the distance saying "my son is innocent" and the line "it's not the agents, it's the system itself" make me feel otherwise

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oneiros posted:

the video version with his father staring tearfully off into the distance saying "my son is innocent" and the line "it's not the agents, it's the system itself" make me feel otherwise

Oh I didn't watch the video lmao okay.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Nastier Nate posted:

Now gtfo

he was in the Mexican navy too?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

like, yes, the article does go over all the terrible, monstrous poo poo he did but but it's always in a "he was just an honorable man trying to do the right thing" light, or at least centering that perspective

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

being charitable to the author, i think they were trying to show how terrible the immigration system is in the u.s. by showing how it treats even someone who upheld and enforced its monstrous policies for nearly two decades

the problem is for that story to evoke anything but schadenfreude the subject can't really be presented as a monster themself

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

after reading that article, all I feel is “gently caress that guy”

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Karia posted:

Never joke about the blood god.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

indigi posted:

I could not care less about the entitlement vets feel they should have

They purposefully recruit poor people outside the country and then they get deported once they're done. Seems pretty hosed to me, even if you're an idiot who thinks literally every veteran is equally complicit. And if they're already residents when this happens its even worse; we're already doing a nice little ethnic removal campaign on anyone who's too Latino looking, and to use them for our war machine and then remove them anyway is twice as heartless.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

look, sure those bleeding hearts of Heinlein's federation had service guarantee citizenship, but we've got a nation to run over here in the real world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The CBP guy is the same one that was featured on This American Life like a year ago, isn't he? There's can't be two of them.