Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, dlc achievements percentages are counted against people who own the base game, not the dlc b/c on the back end achievements are only tied to the base game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
That being so, 2.5% of the original game playerbase unlocking all 5 characters (so getting at least halfway through the DLC) actually seems like a pretty good percentage. Especially considering that only 43% of the playerbase ever unlocked a Typhon power.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Mike the TV posted:

That being so, 2.5% of the original game playerbase unlocking all 5 characters (so getting at least halfway through the DLC) actually seems like a pretty good percentage. Especially considering that only 43% of the playerbase ever unlocked a Typhon power.

Wont lie, I loved prey enough to play through it three times--it's system shock the way dishonored is thief--but I just couldnt get into mooncrash. I couldn't tell you why. That said, I'm really looking forward to Deathloop despite mooncrash being a test for the loop idea.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I thought Mooncrash was perfect because the way I play immersive sims is "try to see everything once". Mooncrash codified that into its game rules and made it very pleasantly spread out. The short length of a single run made it so that locking yourself out of stuff on a given run wasn't frustrating to someone who plays like me.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
One interesting thing I appreciated from Mooncrash was structuring each character with their own powerset based on their archetype. While you were dealing with the same pre-existing powers from the base game, the restrictions actually made the gameplay feel fresh for me, since at a certain point in the main game you will become overpowered and things get a bit stale when you just use the same reliable standbys. I enjoyed having to use every tool in my more limited toolset for each character and got to use some powers or items that I overlooked when I was going beastmode as Morgan.

Though I suppose the Engineer best suited my personal gameplay tastes, all the years of playing 'shock series and their derivatives has ingrained a need for wrench lurking and resource scrounging.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
The engineer is also key to completely trivializing the game on a second playthrough so you can have unlimited corruption resets starting on your second run.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

feelix posted:

The engineer is also key to completely trivializing the game on a second playthrough so you can have unlimited corruption resets starting on your second run.

How do you pull this off?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

KillHour posted:

How do you pull this off?

Her Reverse Engineer power works on Delay_Loop.Time, and your one reverse-engineered blueprint is saved between characters. So all you have to do is kill one big guy and you can reduce corruption infinitely as long as you have a steady trickle of materials. It's not expensive to make. I had no problem keeping the corruption at level 1 permanently.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Iirc, I found it worth going to level 2 just for the extra materials.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Yeah there's no reason to stay at level 1 indefinitely I just wanted to see if I could do it

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
With all the Cyberpunk 2077 hype going wild I decided that it would be more worth my time to get Mooncrash and do at least another playthrough of Prey since it sure deserves it.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Antigravitas posted:

I can't recall any other game that pulled an "It was all a dream" that I wasn't mad about. That one surprised me the most – not the ending itself, but that I didn't flip my keyboard.
For a while, this was my least favorite type of ending of any videogame. I went through a streak where multiple games ended with this resolution and hated it. I already know I'm playing a video game, if your ending was "BUT IT WAS A VIDEO GAME!!" then gently caress you. I was slightly spoiled that the Prey ending would be something like that, but actually don't mind it here. One big difference is the events of the game really did (mostly) happen, so it's not like everything you're doing is just the dying wishes of a digital whale or whatever the gently caress. The game would still end fine without it, though it does drive home that if you thought the Typhon could be defeated by something as simple as a large explosion, you wrong.

Yarrington posted:

Second, blowing up the station REALLY OBVIOUSLY wouldn't work as presented in game so its frustrating that the characters would all treat it as a fait accompli.
Blowing up the station seems plausible until that last bit where a station-swallowing typhon dragon zooms in from deep space. If they've got one of those around, I don't know how they'd expect anything other than an extremely strong anti-typhon weapon to do the job.

moot the hopple posted:

You all probably know this, but unlocking the Engineer was a major turnaround moment, to the point where I almost wish I hadn't settled on her as my go-to character early on. She's just so drat efficient with her skillset. Most runs was just running around and clearing the whole crater with her alone, then churning out more neuromods and delay times than I really needed, and then switching to the other characters to do their story missions. I also tried playing at higher corruption levels and with the other maxed out characters but the challenge was gone after optimizing with Joan.

I found the Delay Loop.Time blueprint pretty early, and that plus Joan's big inventory and recycler benefits trivialize the game as everyone says. Midway through my second or third sim reset and I still have 4/5 story objectives to do but have a pretty good idea how the rest of the game is going to go.

I'd be further along but I absolutely beefed it in the crater as my first run of the security officer, which locked me out of doing his Story Objective on the second sim reset and thereby unlocking the rest of the stuff.

Are the enemies in Mooncrash easier than the enemies in the main game? I went through most of the campaign thinking Phantoms were spooky bullet sponges, but in Mooncrash if I spawn with a pistol and a bunch of rounds and I can take them down in like four extremely fast hits. I dunno if the health values are actually different (particularly at corruption 1) or if I just got that game-beating confidence.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Samopsa posted:

- Whew, this game does not handle multiple speaking npc's in a room well. They keep talking over each other, and the volume is wack. Kinda a bummer, although most don't have much of interest to say. Danielle & the Cook were much more interesting.
If the cargo bay scene was all I had to go off I would think Prey was a very buggy game indeed. Aside from that the biggest bug I had was that every time I reloaded the game it proudly announced I had completed the quest "The Corpse Vanishes"

Samopsa posted:

- Entering Deep Storage, and instantly locking the door behind me? Not cool. Of course, this game has been pretty linear up to this point so it doesn't change -that- much, up till now there hasn't been much reason to actually travel somewhere else for non-story related reasons, except to get the true nanomod fabrication plans.
This is maybe my biggest gripe with the campaign: once you enter Deep Storage, you're locked in through that map, then Life Support and Power.

That was probably the point where I had the maximum amount of side objectives activated: having to wait until the station was unlocked again meant the last stretch of the game was a fetch quest palooza.

I like having the extra objectives, but many of them didn't really pay off and you're unable to complete them for a hearty chunk of the game. If they kept the station a little more open you could drift more organically between finishing the story and cleaning up tough enemies in old areas or doing side objectives.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished the main story campaign today, it was extremely good and I am really glad I decided to finally play this after having it in my Steam library for forever.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
Finished Mooncrash. I only died three or less times in total but was playing quite cautiously.

I ended up playing an hour or two more than I needed because I got my brain mixed up and thought there was an achievement for finding every crew member on the station in Mooncrash. (I already got the cheevo for doing that in the main game). But at least I got to see every nook and cranny of the station.

I'm kinda glad Prey has so many difficult achievements, because I know I will never ever do a "no needles" or "typhon only" run, so I don't have to worry about grinding out the "Galaxy Brain" trophy (every neuromod in Mooncrash) for the dubious honor of getting 100% of the achievements.

Some other scattered observations:
  • Why is the interface for the fabricator seemingly in a random order? It made me feel like an idiot scrolling back and forth looking for the special medicine that makes your bones stop crackling.
  • You can easily pull everything out of the operator companion but there's no "send all" button.
  • I wish that on PC there weren't so many things of the interface differentiated by "press F" vs "hold F".
  • What was the point of no-oxygen sections? Does it only become a problem if your suit loses all its integrity? I always had a huge surplus of suit repair kits.
  • Engineer's turret is a very cathartic weapon against cystoid nests.
  • Custodian was a real letdown. All the other characters have some kind of game-breaking advantage, but her focus is... stealth? The last thing I wanted to do after 10 spawns is go through the game even more slowly and methodically. She starts with a lightsaber but it's not even as good as the one any character can pick up in the labs?
The only big downside from these type of games is the nihilistic/bummer nature to the plotline. Is it possible to make a happy immersive sim? Where you sneak up and incapacitate a wide variety of enemies for a positive purpose like to plan their surprise party?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I think it's more down to how immersive sims tend to be in the cyberpunk genre (including that recent one whose name escapes me), which is by and large a nihilistic / pessimistic medium.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I appreciated the ending to Prey because it wasn’t completely out of nowhere nor unearned. sure, it being a simulation is crappy, but I was able to figure it out from the logs in Psychotronics and confirm it by doing the escape pod ending, which made it land better

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Heavily foreshadowing it from the beginning definitely went a long way towards making that ending work.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

If we had access to parallel universes I'd bet on changing the ending to just a fade to black (maybe a voiceover from the protagonist hoping they made the right choices) and stripping all evidence of the simulation would have been better received overall.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't think enough people played the game for the sim conceit to be controversial

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Sivart13 posted:

Finished Mooncrash. I only died three or less times in total but was playing quite cautiously.

I ended up playing an hour or two more than I needed because I got my brain mixed up and thought there was an achievement for finding every crew member on the station in Mooncrash. (I already got the cheevo for doing that in the main game). But at least I got to see every nook and cranny of the station.

I'm kinda glad Prey has so many difficult achievements, because I know I will never ever do a "no needles" or "typhon only" run, so I don't have to worry about grinding out the "Galaxy Brain" trophy (every neuromod in Mooncrash) for the dubious honor of getting 100% of the achievements.

Some other scattered observations:
  • Why is the interface for the fabricator seemingly in a random order? It made me feel like an idiot scrolling back and forth looking for the special medicine that makes your bones stop crackling.
  • You can easily pull everything out of the operator companion but there's no "send all" button.
  • I wish that on PC there weren't so many things of the interface differentiated by "press F" vs "hold F".
  • What was the point of no-oxygen sections? Does it only become a problem if your suit loses all its integrity? I always had a huge surplus of suit repair kits.
  • Engineer's turret is a very cathartic weapon against cystoid nests.
  • Custodian was a real letdown. All the other characters have some kind of game-breaking advantage, but her focus is... stealth? The last thing I wanted to do after 10 spawns is go through the game even more slowly and methodically. She starts with a lightsaber but it's not even as good as the one any character can pick up in the labs?
The only big downside from these type of games is the nihilistic/bummer nature to the plotline. Is it possible to make a happy immersive sim? Where you sneak up and incapacitate a wide variety of enemies for a positive purpose like to plan their surprise party?

I enjoyed finding everyone in the Moonbase purely because it was fun and they end up showing you some cool passageways you might have otherwise missed. I think the fabricator is ordered by when you find each item, so that's why it seems super random.
I actually died once from lack of oxygen, and it happened FAST when I didn't realize my suit was busted.
The point of the Custodian is to be a totally broken speedrun machine. She's stupid fast, doesn't attract enemies, and can jump higher and further. Ignore the typhon completely, just get to the objective.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Reviving this thread to gush about how drat amazing this game is. I used to play games a lot, but kinda lost interest in the last few years, so I only even heard about Prey a couple of weeks ago.

The person recommending it compared it to System Shock, which was an immediate YES from me, but the absolutely amazing depth and quality of gameplay, combined with the insanely thorough forward planning to account for the player doing the unexpected, is loving unprecedented in my experience.

It took me a few goes to really get into it, but once I got the hang of the true openness of the gameplay, I couldn't stop playing - my save is at 40 plus hours and I'm dawdling because I really don't want to finish, and I know I'll be replaying soon, just to try out other ways of doing things.

It's been an absolute godsend in these weird lockdown times.

Also, as a former games QA person, can I raise an enormous glass to the QA team? - testing this beast must have been a huge challenge, and one which they met.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pookah posted:

Reviving this thread to gush about how drat amazing this game is. I used to play games a lot, but kinda lost interest in the last few years, so I only even heard about Prey a couple of weeks ago.

The person recommending it compared it to System Shock, which was an immediate YES from me, but the absolutely amazing depth and quality of gameplay, combined with the insanely thorough forward planning to account for the player doing the unexpected, is loving unprecedented in my experience.

It's a different genre but another game you might have missed is Disco Elysium. It's an RPG in the mold of Planescape Torment but without the D&D combat, so if you ever played and enjoyed that game you'll definitely love DE. It also anticipates and accounts for a lot of weird poo poo the player might do. It's also probably the best-written video game ever made. That said if it sounds like your jam I'd hold off a little bit as it has a director's cut version due out soon that's supposed to add a bunch of extra content and full voice acting for all of its considerable amount of text, which is currently only partially voiced.

There's also Dishonored 1 & 2, which are to Thief as Prey is to System Shock.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Wafflecopper posted:

It's a different genre but another game you might have missed is Disco Elysium. It's an RPG in the mold of Planescape Torment but without the D&D combat, so if you ever played and enjoyed that game you'll definitely love DE. It also anticipates and accounts for a lot of weird poo poo the player might do. It's also probably the best-written video game ever made. That said if it sounds like your jam I'd hold off a little bit as it has a director's cut version due out soon that's supposed to add a bunch of extra content and full voice acting for all of its considerable amount of text, which is currently only partially voiced.

There's also Dishonored 1 & 2, which are to Thief as Prey is to System Shock.

'Planescape without the dodgy combat' sounds absolutely magical, and yeah I love the Thief games, so thank you for the uncannily accurate recommends. I still get a brief dopamine hit whenever I hear the soft 'blung' noise when you steal something in a Thief game

It's one small side effect of this lovely pandemic that I'm rediscovering how much fun good games are. There have been so many AAA titles that are about 3 hours long and basically extremely shiny railshooters, that it's a joy and a relief to discover that some studios are still happy to put in the sheer WORK to make such incredibly rich games.

No one does this because it's more profitable, because it isn't; they do it because they want to make really bloody good games, and I salute them.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Man, if you've been out of games for a while there is so much stellar stuff to play. If you're a fan of immersive sims (like Prey, SS, Deus Ex, Thief) don't forget to check out the new Deus Ex games (Human Revolution & Mankind Divided) and the new HITMAN series (three parts, the 3rd has just been released, you can play all three games as modules in HITMAN 3). These games are the textbook definition of generous, rich games.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Samopsa posted:

Man, if you've been out of games for a while there is so much stellar stuff to play. If you're a fan of immersive sims (like Prey, SS, Deus Ex, Thief) don't forget to check out the new Deus Ex games (Human Revolution & Mankind Divided) and the new HITMAN series (three parts, the 3rd has just been released, you can play all three games as modules in HITMAN 3). These games are the textbook definition of generous, rich games.

I'm really genuinely surprised, it felt like the period when big title games were willing to be '50+ hours of content/multiple playthrough to see everything'-style was long over, and I am so happy to be wrong about it
Thanks for the additional recommends, I'm pretty sure we already have Dishonoured 1 and 2 so I'm set up for the next month or so. I adored Deus Ex when it was new, and was extremely underwhelmed by the Xbox sequel, so knowing that the later sequels were better is awesome.

What got me back in to games was Bloodstained - I was told it was a new, proper Castlevania, and they were not lying. I just need to get less terrible with console controls - Im much more comfortable with mouse n keyboard, so a controller still feels really clunky to me. Just need to try harder.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Pookah posted:

I'm really genuinely surprised, it felt like the period when big title games were willing to be '50+ hours of content/multiple playthrough to see everything'-style was long over, and I am so happy to be wrong about it
Thanks for the additional recommends, I'm pretty sure we already have Dishonoured 1 and 2 so I'm set up for the next month or so. I adored Deus Ex when it was new, and was extremely underwhelmed by the Xbox sequel, so knowing that the later sequels were better is awesome.

What got me back in to games was Bloodstained - I was told it was a new, proper Castlevania, and they were not lying. I just need to get less terrible with console controls - Im much more comfortable with mouse n keyboard, so a controller still feels really clunky to me. Just need to try harder.

Dishonored's DLC is of value too and there's a standalone expansion for 2 called Death of the Outsider. So lots of fun stuff there

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's also a free fan game called The Dark Mod that is literally a modernish reboot of Thief.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm so damm happy that there is all this gorgeous new content out there for so many amazing game series, that I'm not even cross that half life 3 never happened.

(I I spent 3 months testing halflife for the loving dreamcast, I even think I have a late build of it lying around somewhere, and it got goddamn cancelled just after 90% of the bugs got fixed in one big batch.)

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

There honestly hasn't been a lot games like this over the years but coming to it having skipped the last few years definitely leaves you with a grip of really good games to come back to.

Imagine coming into the Hitman reboot series in Hitman 3? Just loading them all up into the one game and going through them fresh. Especially if you're someone who wants to go back and do all the challenges and whatnot without needing the episodic structure to force you.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
You can't go wrong with Arkane. I'm really looking forward to Deathloop. (And also the lead dev left Arkane and has a new game coming out soon with a new studio, Weird West)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Deathloop looks like Rage 2 + Mooncrash. Which should be pretty fun.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Phigs posted:

There honestly hasn't been a lot games like this over the years but coming to it having skipped the last few years definitely leaves you with a grip of really good games to come back to.

Imagine coming into the Hitman reboot series in Hitman 3? Just loading them all up into the one game and going through them fresh. Especially if you're someone who wants to go back and do all the challenges and whatnot without needing the episodic structure to force you.

This is literally where I am - I've never played the Hitman series but I am generally aware of their flexibility when it comes to fulfilling objectives. I have so many excellent games to get througg -I'm kind of glad I took such a long break, means I have years worth of brilliance to work through.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Pookah posted:

'Planescape without the dodgy combat' sounds absolutely magical

I hope you've played Tyranny, because holy poo poo is it a good game. https://store.steampowered.com/app/362960/Tyranny/

It's very much like Torment in that it is absolutely groundbreaking in many ways but didn't sell too well in part because of bad marketing. You play a dignitary of a dictator that has conquered the world. You're sent to snuff out a rebellion, and the entire game is a meditation on power, how power corrupts, how people corrupt power, how power works in a dictatorship. How law can be unjust, how it can be twisted and subverted. How it corrupts you, the player and player character.

The entire cRPG revival has birthed a swathe of great games. Just a whole orgy of really well made games.

I'm playing Pillars of Eternity right now after not having played it for years. And I'm having the itch to play Tyranny again as well.

And in five years I'm going to play Prey again. Hopefully I will have forgotten most of it by then so I can experience it again…

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm absolutely on the Dishonored train as well. It's the same studio as Prey, and honestly I might like Dishonored 1 even more than Prey, though it's a close thing. I also second Disco Elysium in a huge way too. It's almost unique among RPGs I've played, with perhaps both the smartest and funniest writing I've encountered in 20-some years of games.

Pookah posted:

I'm so damm happy that there is all this gorgeous new content out there for so many amazing game series, that I'm not even cross that half life 3 never happened.

Half Life: Alyx came out. It's VR only, with all the limitations that implies; but for what it is, it's pretty good.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

As weird as it sounds to recommend a roguelike, Noita hits a lot of the same themes of planning carefully and using your environment and logic to your advantage.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Antigravitas posted:

I hope you've played Tyranny, because holy poo poo is it a good game. https://store.steampowered.com/app/362960/Tyranny/

It's very much like Torment in that it is absolutely groundbreaking in many ways but didn't sell too well in part because of bad marketing. You play a dignitary of a dictator that has conquered the world. You're sent to snuff out a rebellion, and the entire game is a meditation on power, how power corrupts, how people corrupt power, how power works in a dictatorship. How law can be unjust, how it can be twisted and subverted. How it corrupts you, the player and player character.

The entire cRPG revival has birthed a swathe of great games. Just a whole orgy of really well made games.

I'm playing Pillars of Eternity right now after not having played it for years. And I'm having the itch to play Tyranny again as well.

And in five years I'm going to play Prey again. Hopefully I will have forgotten most of it by then so I can experience it again…

I haven't played Tyranny, and from what I've just been reading, it sounds perfect.

I just checked, and I can hardly believe it, but I think the most recent RPG I have played is Diablo3, which I just got bored with. So I have about 8 years to catch up on...

Noita looks very interesting too - thanks everyone for all the recommends - it looks like I'm going to have a very long queue of great games to keep me occupied :D

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Oh dear, so you missed the cRPG revival completely? Pillars of Eternity is the new Baldur's Gate, its sequel is the Baldur's Gate 2 analogue. Then there's Shadowrun: Returns, Dragonfall, Hong Kong., which are shorter and more focused but really well made.

If old school but modernised cRPGs are your jam at all you'll need another pandemic to play through them all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Gotta play Shadowrun Returns first if you’re gonna play it at all, once you play Dragonfall/Hong Kong going back is impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Gotta play Shadowrun Returns first if you’re gonna play it at all, once you play Dragonfall/Hong Kong going back is impossible.

Or you'll just be put off and not play the actually good games.

Skip SR, play Dragonfall. You have too many good games to play to waste time on 6/10 titles.