Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

explosivo posted:

Build a new hammer, you can craft a limited amount of things without needing a bench by hitting Tab, you should be able to find what you need for it just lying around (3 wood, two stones. Turn vegetation to low in the game settings to turn off grass and make all the rocks suddenly appear. Find branches to pick up for the wood you need). As for the roof over the workbench you don't have to build an entire building for it, just put a 2x1 wood wall directly behind it and use one of the ^ shaped roof pieces that are in the hammer build menu to hang over the workbench.

I didn't realize inventory had building and now I feel like a ding dong, thanks. Game is way better when you meet up with friends anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TeaJay posted:

So I have two theories about the mystery man who keeps appearing and then vanishing: it's either Odin or the last boss who I suspect is some kind of Lich based on his stone image

I have yet to see this person, do they only show up after X number of bosses? Or maybe I'm just blind.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I didn't see them until after I'd beaten the second boss, but I might just not have seen them.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Vietnom nom nom posted:

Was enjoying this, then decided to quit for the day. Hit the "Logout" button, and turned to do something else for a few moments leaving the game at the main menu screen, then the power went out briefly due to a storm. Loaded game back up, save game and character were corrupted. Apparently this is a common issue right now with no known fixes. There is an old save backup in your save game directory SOMETIMES, but it lost quite a few hours for me.

Some people have had 50+ hour saves completely wiped out, and not even for sudden power outages, but just ALT-F4'ing the game. The weird thing for me is that I had exited back to the main menu successfully, so why the save game would be prone to corruption at that point is beyond me.

So word to the wise, don't exit the game right now any other way than through the normal menus.

That sucks. I've gotten in the habit of just copy and pasting my locallow/irongate/valheim folder ever few hours in case this happens. If you want to make up the lost hours and remember what skills/items you had, you can use console commands to train up your skills and spawn in the lost items. There's a full guide on steam which includes ids for spawning items.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bardeh posted:

This seems nuts to me. We had to travel a long way to find a decent sized swamp that actually had crypts in it. The first one we found nearest the elder was a tiny patch without even a single one. We'd be talking a half hour journey each way just to smelt some metal. I don't think the game would suffer if you smoothed out that process a little and made it easier to get your new forward bases up to scratch with your old ones.

The first time you do it, you'll probably get 120 ore plus whatever you can carry.

The second time you do it, if you take a boat, you can get around 500 plus whatever you can carry.

There's probably more iron closer to you, but i guess it depends on the seed.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I have yet to see this person, do they only show up after X number of bosses? Or maybe I'm just blind.

He showed up like super briefly for me, and not afaik to the two other people I was with. It’s easy to miss imo.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Portals not letting you move ore is cool and good and i hope they never change that. it keeps the world big and gives meaning to having other bases, not to mention there are some crops that you have to grow in certain biomes.

being able to just TP everything home makes a big part of the game, exploring and engaging with the world disappear and it would be a grave mistake to change that

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Scarecow posted:

Portals not letting you move ore is cool and good and i hope they never change that. it keeps the world big and gives meaning to having other bases, not to mention there are some crops that you have to grow in certain biomes.

being able to just TP everything home makes a big part of the game, exploring and engaging with the world disappear and it would be a grave mistake to change that

I think if the metal requirements were just dropped somewhat this would be true for me.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Yeah even as someone who loathes the iron grind tooth and nail, the portals aren't the issue and I still think that part is a smart system. Although there are unique and pretty pointless frustrations associated with it like, I just wanna set up a stonecutting table somewhere that isn't next to a swamp. Why you gotta do me like this.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Individual chest inventories need to go the way of the dodo. Just give me one master inventory list of all chests in X radius, please. I do not want to spend hours sorting 100+ unique stacks

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Also, we either need limited inventory slots or a weight limit, not both.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Inzombiac posted:

Also, we either need limited inventory slots or a weight limit, not both.

you can purchase weight limit increases

stop the lovely gamedev opinion goons, more viking raid stories pls

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I tamed two boars and then went on a boat trip and it appears one of the boars despawned. Is this a known issue? I don't think it starved as there were plenty of mushrooms on the ground in their pen.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Bracing on a mast with a torch out to light the fog is Pretty loving Cool.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I haven't tried taming anything yet, what is the benefit of taming boars?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

If you keep them supplied with food, they will multiply and be an easy source of meat and leather.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Broken Cog posted:

The benefit is you don't have to track down boars to kill, but someone in the thread said tamed boars don't always drop meat so they seem pretty useless at the moment.

Edit: anyone have a server up and looking for players? I can tech down to whatever level y'all are at I just want a break from solo play

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Quantum Shart posted:

you can purchase weight limit increases

Purchase from who?

Is what why I keep finding coins in abandoned huts?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Yes, there's an NPC merchant somewhere in the dark forest biomes on your map.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Purchase from who?

Is what why I keep finding coins in abandoned huts?

You can find an NPC in the black forest who trades coins for items. One of these items is a belt to increase the weight limit.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

On the one hand the trader shows up on your map automatically as a LARGE icon so it's basically impossible to miss him if you're in the neighborhood. On the other hand there is one per world, so good luck.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sonel posted:

You can find an NPC in the black forest who trades coins for items. One of these items is a belt to increase the weight limit.

I wish the biomes were in their own sections.

For me the beginning spawn is on a tiny island surrounded by meadows. SE is the mountain and black forest, NW is kind of an archipelago that is also black forest.

SW is more black forest and meadows combined.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
The mountain is better than the swamp. Not gonna miss those crypts for some time.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 15, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quantum Shart posted:

stop the lovely gamedev opinion goons, more viking raid stories pls

I was whacking on a copper vein in the black forest and a troll walked up, I chopped him twice in the ankles then ran between his legs and off into the distance, somehow lived to tell the tale.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Scarecow posted:

I mean if they're going to insist on having portals be unable to transport ore or smelted metal, then they ought to be consistent about it and not allow you through if you're wearing metal armour or carrying metal weapons too.

...or really, do what the good games do and make these things options people can toggle to their liking, letting everyone enjoy the game the way they want without it affecting anyone else who may want more, or less, QoL stuff in their gameplay experience. The fact that this is completely able to be circumvented by using the parallel universe trick means it should just be able to be done without all the faffing between servers. I personally wouldn't do it myself until after beating the endgame content, because I agree with the opinion quoted, but when I've reached the stage where all I want to do is build huge structures everywhere I'm gonna want the option available. And if other people want to teleport ore from the get-go, how the gently caress is that any of my business?

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Can we talk about how Odin is a loving dick for always making the wind always blow the wrong loving direction? Seriously Odin, I want to go around my island and map it a bit. I cant do that if you won't ever let me go south when I turn on my kitty sea shantys and jump in the boat. :( Stupid Odin dick wind.

EDIT* Ultimate Odin dick move, after posting this the wind immediately does a 180Degree turn.

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 15, 2021

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
devs sometimes need to do things to make sure players do something in an intended way, cuz players are dumb and will do the unfun stuff as opposed to the cool stuff like setting up bases and making grand journeys home with all your loot

otherwise people would just carry portal fixings with them and what is the point of anything

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone done the third boss solo and got some tips? Gave him a shot but had to retreat because gently caress that.
Already have poison resistance potions mead.

frost arrows do full damage if you want to do archery cheese still, it's not to hard to run around the mountain.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
It's easy to get tons of iron playing solo, or at least it is if you find several crypts close together. Chests in crypts often have big stacks of scrap iron. You can raid 3-5 crypts and ignore the blocked-up passages and still find enough iron to make a set or armor and weapons. If you need more iron later, sure, go back and clear out the blockages, or really just sail around until you find another crypt. I found the iron tier to be much easier than bronze.

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone done the third boss solo and got some tips? Gave him a shot but had to retreat because gently caress that.
Already have poison resistance potions mead.

Set up an arena to fight it by raising the ground above water level. You'll still be wet all the time from the rain, but you can at least walk at normal speed.

TeaJay posted:

So I have two theories about the mystery man who keeps appearing and then vanishing: it's either Odin or the last boss who I suspect is some kind of Lich based on his stone image

I think it's the first one. If you look closely you can see he has one eye .

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I think the real issue is the boats are just kinda slow. It wouldn’t hurt much if they were a bit faster. I don’t want portals to be the end all be all, but as much as I love to sail I think the world is big enough to handle faster boats.

Also please let us share maps. Sailing around and charting the world is super fun to me, but it falls apart when I’m the only one who can use it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I'd love some kind of way to interact with the wind. Like a charm or ritual or consumable something you could use to redirect it, even to just another random direction.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I think the real issue is the boats are just kinda slow. It wouldn’t hurt much if they were a bit faster. I don’t want portals to be the end all be all, but as much as I love to sail I think the world is big enough to handle faster boats.

Also please let us share maps. Sailing around and charting the world is super fun to me, but it falls apart when I’m the only one who can use it.

yeah my biggest issue with the transportation is that even a longship is slower than running on the drat coast half the time and even worse if the wind is really bad instead of just inconvenient.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

raverrn posted:

I'd love some kind of way to interact with the wind. Like a charm or ritual or consumable something you could use to redirect it, even to just another random direction.

Add the Wind Waker, devs.

I wish leeches wouldn't destroy my ding dang boat.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
We went for a sail to look for random new lands and found and island with a ruined city filled with zombies.

We killed the zombies and learned how to make sausages.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

is there an easier way to get leather scraps besides hunting the mythical rare boar that I can never find anywhere?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

Add the Wind Waker, devs.

Been saying this to my buddies since we started.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do you guys build right by the altar first or do you look for like, a riverside spot for a likely location?

beneatsfood
Feb 19, 2008
This game is so loving easy.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

AndrewP posted:

is there an easier way to get leather scraps besides hunting the mythical rare boar that I can never find anywhere?

Sometimes they're in chests in the Meadows biome, but other than that and getting them as a drop from a later biome, no.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

AndrewP posted:

Build a fence with an opening near your main base. Aggro 2 boar in there (the more stars the better), close the fence. Drop aggro around a house/wall, come back and throw single mushrooms/berries in there to feed them. This slowly tames them. Tamed boars will breed when not hungry (aka feed them once to become happy). Now you have a leather & meat farm. Just don't cull below a breeding pair

Be careful with lighting, as even tamed boars get frightened by it, when they are frightened they can slam into the fence and damage it. Once you have carrot seeds those will be your primary feeding food so you can keep mushroom and berries for crafting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks. think I need to move camps because I never see any boars around my house.