Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That line about needing stronger lightning sure is some foreshadowing alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah so she's either going to get zeus back somehow, or there's another source of electricity here...

maybe she'll absorb one of kaido's attacks into a cloud?

i mean, enel? sure, why not.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's enel

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Dango doesn't seem to be enslaving people, just befriending them and comparing this to slavery is loving wild.

anime was right posted:

yeah so she's either going to get zeus back somehow, or there's another source of electricity here...

maybe she'll absorb one of kaido's attacks into a cloud?

i mean, enel? sure, why not.
I hope it's both, because despite Luffy being the protagonist (And literally named Monkey, Nami's inherited a lot of Son Goku/Journey to the West abilities so her floating around on a cloud would be really sweet. So would feeding Monet's Snow fruit, that was growing on Nami's orange tree to her weapon (^:

Mastery over the Weather has been Nami's motif for a while now, being able to readily summon electricity & snow in addition to being one of the best navigators and meteorologists on the planet would make her one of the most valuable people in One Piece.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 14, 2021

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

Dango doesn't seem to be enslaving people, just befriending them and comparing this to slavery is loving wild.
I hope it's both, because despite Luffy being the protagonist (And literally named Monkey, Nami's inherited a lot of Son Goku/Journey to the West abilities so her floating around on a cloud would be really sweet. So would feeding Monet's Snow fruit, that was growing on Nami's orange tree to her weapon (^:

Nah man, doing a complete 180 on your personality and fighting your former comrades to the death? That's brainwashing and enslavement territory. They do everything she asks them to

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dango simply makes you realize the error of your ways and how you’d much rather follow the instructions of your child empress

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's a really good dango.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Terror Sweat posted:

Nah man, doing a complete 180 on your personality and fighting your former comrades to the death? That's brainwashing and enslavement territory. They do everything she asks them to
:psyduck:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

If she gave them regular non-devil fruit Dango would they be following her against their friends and mates? If the answer is no, then that's brainwashing territory. Purple man supervillain poo poo

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yes, they would.

It's a really good dango.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Drawing the line at a child feeding villains snacks and giving them a change of heart is certainty one of the strangest stances I've seen in the One Piece thread in the last decade.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

Drawing the line at a child feeding villains snacks and giving them a change of heart is certainty one of the strangest stances I've seen in the One Piece thread in the last decade.

This is a really funny thing to say after dressrosa

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I also kinda side with "wait, that dango poo poo is a supervillain power", but i'm sure that just means more will happen with it.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I mean I'm not trying to villainize a kid I just think it's a power Oda didn't put enough thought into, unless there's more to it which there very likely could be.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MorningMoon posted:

I also kinda side with "wait, that dango poo poo is a supervillain power", but i'm sure that just means more will happen with it.

I don't think it will. Like there's no indication that there's some terrible secret or consequence to the dango just that Oda thinks it's a funny riff on Momotaro.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Gonna be epic when queen eats a really hot Tabasco in front of her and scares her into unconsciousness freeing all of her slaves

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Her ability only affects animals and a bulk of Kaido's army are SMILES who are half-animal. It's a broken ability that only works against Kaido's army and most of them would have some kind of change of heart anyway after Luffy & friends beat Kaido.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I bet it has some rules like it can’t make you hurt your friends, it just makes you think Tama is your friend as well, so of course you want everyone to be friends with Tama as well.

Also yeah, it’s a fruit that works against only animals, it works on Smile Users because they’re science experiment gone wrong half animal monsters.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Terror Sweat posted:

Gonna be epic when queen eats a really hot Tabasco in front of her and scares her into unconsciousness freeing all of her slaves

Except kaido knocked her unconscious and it didn't free Speed from her control. Myth Busted :bustem:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

drat, a more broken fruit than sugar

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
morally is it better to brainwash someone into being good or beating the poo poo out of them and then they're still a bad guy

one piece bringing the real philosophical questions

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

I mean, the people she is using it on were unrepentant, bloodthirsty, warmongering slavers who turned her homeland into a wasteland where a majority of the population are starving or sick through underhanded means.

Them turning into people who want the opposite of that is okay in my book. If she was using it on anyone else, yeah, you might have a point

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

RealFoxy posted:

Her ability only affects animals and a bulk of Kaido's army are SMILES who are half-animal. It's a broken ability that only works against Kaido's army and most of them would have some kind of change of heart anyway after Luffy & friends beat Kaido.

I completely forgot that limitation of her power, so nvm.

I hope she throws one at Kaido and it works for like one move as every character has a reaction to Kaido suddenly attacking Mom.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Asuron posted:

I mean, the people she is using it on were unrepentant, bloodthirsty, warmongering slavers who turned her homeland into a wasteland where a majority of the population are starving or sick through underhanded means.

Them turning into people who want the opposite of that is okay in my book. If she was using it on anyone else, yeah, you might have a point

She used it on wild animals too.

O-tama would absolutely be convicted of war crimes in the One Piece world's version of the Geneva Conventions. Luckily for the readers, we don't have to worry about the protagonist's morality because they are pirate criminals and will fight anybody for what they want.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also to be clear, we know her power works on regular animals and smile fruit users, but not on regular humans. We do not know if it works on regular zoans or not.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lord_Magmar posted:

I bet it has some rules like it can’t make you hurt your friends, it just makes you think Tama is your friend as well, so of course you want everyone to be friends with Tama as well.

Also yeah, it’s a fruit that works against only animals, it works on Smile Users because they’re science experiment gone wrong half animal monsters.

Everyone's just arguing about the power of the dango because we all want to be Tama's friend but we didn't even get any of that delicious dango.

Dango is just the embodiment of D.A.R.E.'s drug propaganda. The fact that Speed is the main force in hooking everyone is just further proof.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't care if Tama's ability is immoral, because the bad guys are total dicks who flushed an entire nation down the toilet. Plus, the alternative is them staying evil and getting killed by a samurai army.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Two other things are that Tama has to give the order for them to listen, Speed refused to listen to Luffy when he was on her back. And we've only seen relative fodder be affected by this, would it work on Ulti or Jack? Would someone with Conqueror's be able to snap them out of it, like Kaido? This definitely turns the tide of the numbers, but either they'd be cannon fodder or get knocked out by clashing Haki, so having them be happy and free under Tama's iron-fisted rule is probably for the best.

The fact that Ussop didn't do the big brained play of firing it into Page One or Ulti's mouth, or even Sasaki, means it likely doesn't work on actual devil fruits.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Speed was goofy and kinda wholesome for a Kaido militant before she ever ate the Damo anyway, I think her ability should just be taken at face-value as this girl feeding stray animals and befriending them. SMILE users are only part animal, theoretically they should have half resistance to the ability already, but it isn't like Kaido was treating the hundred something SMILE users in his army like kings anyway, Jack got poo poo from the very beginning

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Crosspeice posted:

The fact that Ussop didn't do the big brained play of firing it into Page One or Ulti's mouth, or even Sasaki, means it likely doesn't work on actual devil fruits.

Yeah that's my guess as well. The thing about the Gifters is that they all seem to be permanently transformed into actual animals to some degree, not "otherwise perfectly normal human/reindeer/sword who can turn into an(other) animal at will". Maybe if she used it on someone like chopper that would work, but I don't think any of the top-tier officers really meet that criteria. Maaaaaaybe Kaido or King since I don't think they've actually explained what their deals are yet, but that seems like a bit of a stretch.

Edit: VVV gently caress cherry pies.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 15, 2021

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

drat, one piece fans defending slavery and taking away a man's dream. I don't wanna go on an adventure like that, and I can't believe the straw hats sanction this. I'm on team Blackbeard now, he seems to be the only pirate that embraces freedom and chasing your dreams

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

drat, one piece fans defending slavery and taking away a man's dream. I don't wanna go on an adventure like that, and I can't believe the straw hats sanction this. I'm on team Blackbeard now, he seems to be the only pirate that embraces freedom and chasing your dreams
I really don't know if you're arguing in bad faith/trolling or sincere, but this is not the derail I wanna spend a break week on.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Terror Sweat posted:

Look at this noob arguing against the overwhelming power of friendship in Shonen. Toma's dango fruit just concentrates her friendship down into a treat.

Way better than the usual Shonen delivery method of beating dudes into comas with friendship fists to convert them.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

I really don't know if you're arguing in bad faith/trolling or sincere

Buddy, I'm in so deep, I don't even know anymore

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
tama has used her fruit power morally so far, only on the rampaging pillaging evil pirate crew who has helped enslave and gut her country for decades in a row forcing her to starve her entire life

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Virtually all of the gifters were forced into joining Kaido's crew by force, assimilated from pirate crews Kaido crushed and intimidated their members into joining. They have no legitimate loyalty to the Beast Pirates, and the dango's only work because of that (some fanfiction i just made up but choose to believe)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

How else is Tama supposed to challenge the Pokemon League?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Do you think they're fully friendshipped and having fun or are they screaming internally as their bodies move on their own?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sub Harrison posted:

Do you think they're fully friendshipped and having fun or are they screaming internally as their bodies move on their own?

The first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Crosspeice posted:

both page one and ulti are wearing masks and have kept their masks on for like the entirety of the arc unless they're fully transformed. my guess is usopp will force page one to transform at some point and then fire a dango at that exact moment.

...and then it will turn out it didnt work so they need to defeat them traditionally.