Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

i got that graph on a shirt a long time ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

lmao at the galaxy brain takes in this thread.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I wish the Pictures for Sad Children artist hadn't deleted their entire online presence after a meltdown :smith: They were such a relentlessly negative rear end in a top hat they felt like a kindred spirit

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Clark Nova posted:

I wish the Pictures for Sad Children artist hadn't deleted their entire online presence after a meltdown :smith: They were such a relentlessly negative rear end in a top hat they felt like a kindred spirit

ya didnt he take a bunch of kickstarter money for a book of the comics and then just burnt all the books and pocketed the cash.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
sounds like a great guy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Documentary about Japan's big bubble. Good so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-IZZxyb1GI

So far, it's pitching that Japan's bubble was a liberalization ploy. Driven by ideology, the Central Bank wanted an immediate hard pivot. They used new money to inflate/crash the economy (:tinfoil:).

Based on the book of the same name, Amazon description:

quote:

This eye-opening book offers a disturbing new look at Japan's post-war economy and the key factors that shaped it. It gives special emphasis to the 1980s and 1990s when Japan's economy experienced vast swings in activity. According to the author, the most recent upheaval in the Japanese economy is the result of the policies of a central bank less concerned with stimulating the economy than with its own turf battles and its ideological agenda to change Japan's economic structure. The book combines new historical research with an in-depth behind-the-scenes account of the bureaucratic competition between Japan's most important institutions: the Ministry of Finance and the Bank of Japan. Drawing on new economic data and first-hand eyewitness accounts, it reveals little known monetary policy tools at the core of Japan's business cycle, identifies the key figures behind Japan's economy, and discusses their agenda. The book also highlights the implications for the rest of the world, and raises important questions about the concentration of power within central banks.

Fun data point:

quote:

Between 1985 and 1989 stocks rose 240% and land prices 245%. By the end of the '80s, the value of the garden surrounding the Imperial Palace in Central Tokyo was worth as much as the entire state of California.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Muscle Wizard posted:

ya didnt he take a bunch of kickstarter money for a book of the comics and then just burnt all the books and pocketed the cash.

p much, there were a buncha unfulfilled orders or something and iirc they were gonna lose money on the whole thing somehow so they had a nervous breakdown and burned the rest

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Accretionist posted:

Documentary about Japan's big bubble. Good so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-IZZxyb1GI

So far, it's pitching that Japan's bubble was a liberalization ploy. Driven by ideology, the Central Bank wanted an immediate hard pivot. They used new money to inflate/crash the economy (:tinfoil:).

Based on the book of the same name, Amazon description:

Fun data point:

The lede of the author's wiki entry is something interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Werner

quote:

He has proposed the "Quantity Theory of Credit", or "Quantity Theory of Disaggregated Credit", which disaggregates credit creation used for the real economy (GDP transactions) on the one hand, and financial transactions on the other hand.[1] In 1995, he proposed a new monetary policy to swiftly deal with banking crises, which he called 'Quantitative Easing', published in the Nikkei. [2] He also first used the expression "QE2" in public, referring to the need to implement 'true quantitative easing' as an expansion in credit creation.[3] His 2001 book 'Princes of the Yen' was a number one general bestseller in Japan. In 2014 he published the first empirical evidence that each bank creates credit when it issues a new loan. [4]

"Empirical evidence of a loan creating credit" is quite a sentence.

Goon Boots has issued a correction as of 02:11 on Feb 15, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
imagine telling someone in the pictures thread to stop posting pictures lol. just please add some context so people don’t go insane treating your photo like the voynich manuscript.

it’s a picture of a spacecraft from a rural shack

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
https://getfluid.com/blog/hallmark-valentines-day/

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Actually in all honesty it was the amount of posting about a single post that contained a single picture that got a bit tiresome on the thread.

I like and appreciate the slice of life stuff. Just, y'know make sure it fits a theme or has some context with a C-Spammy angle. People are always going to complain - don't wear yourself out responding to every person that has an opinion on your photography or makes assumptions about your lifestyle.

We're here to share and enjoy pics!

Older times:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

fr0id posted:

imagine telling someone in the pictures thread to stop posting pictures lol. just please add some context so people don’t go insane treating your photo like the voynich manuscript.

yes lol one of the most famous photographs in contemporary american history is about the same level as the dude posting bw shots of boring city streets.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

fr0id posted:

sharecropper's home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goh2x_G0ct4

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Muscle Wizard posted:

yes lol one of the most famous photographs in contemporary american history is about the same level as the dude posting bw shots of boring city streets.

also we have an entire subforum for amateur photographers to spam their portfolios in

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

fr0id posted:

lmao

I hear ya. I'm just pointing out some of the hypocrisies that are going on in here which I feel is very C-SPAM at heart. A probe came down for me laughing at hapsby's post on creating a funny C-SPAM game. I was later told it wasn't about me laughing but that other people didn't like that I was posting pictures. In the picture thread. Later I posted a picture of a happy couple on valentines day and got a probe for it because "too many pearls". Then I was told that the reason was not true, just the mod's way of trying to come up with some words for a reason. The true reason, they said, was that I wasn't providing enough context with the photos I posted, wasn't staying true to the theme of the thread which was politics and hadn't let others know that I was a photographer. So when the probe was lifted I posted one photo of a homeless man, gave context, placed it in the proper theme and let people know I was a photographer was once again railed against, this time I was writing too many words in the picture thread. And when people talked about me and I responded I was told I was constantly talking about myself. lmfao there is literally no solid narrative to how and what happens in here, it's just a free for all with the actual basis for probing someone apparently falling on the principle of if the mob doesn't like you then you get canceled. Which is so incredibly relevant to C-SPAM that I can't think straight.

Just lmfao

Viginti Septem has issued a correction as of 02:49 on Feb 15, 2021

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

:same: but that meltdown was really something else, it was full on.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

i wish i could give him a print of this

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

looking forward to the four hour long gritty avengers

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
:gritin:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/tiredgenerally/status/1361071357686022146?s=21

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

samantonio posted:

lmao

I hear ya. I'm just pointing out some of the hypocrisies that are going on in here which I feel is very C-SPAM at heart. A probe came down for me laughing at hapsby's post on creating a funny C-SPAM game. I was later told it wasn't about me laughing but that other people didn't like that I was posting pictures. In the picture thread. Later I posted a picture of a happy couple on valentines day and got a probe for it because "too many pearls". Then I was told that the reason was not true, just the mod's way of trying to come up with some words for a reason. The true reason, they said, was that I wasn't providing enough context with the photos I posted, wasn't staying true to the theme of the thread which was politics and hadn't let others know that I was a photographer. So when the probe was lifted I posted one photo of a homeless man, gave context, placed it in the proper theme and let people know I was a photographer was once again railed against, this time I was writing too many words in the picture thread. And when people talked about me and I responded I was told I was constantly talking about myself. lmfao there is literally no solid narrative to how and what happens in here, it's just a free for all with the actual basis for probing someone apparently falling on the principle of if the mob doesn't like you then you get canceled. Which is so incredibly relevant to C-SPAM that I can't think straight.

Just lmfao

nice picture

e;

The337th has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Feb 15, 2021

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I’m on mobile and two folks replied to me without a picture but I can’t easily quote both. sanantonio was one and I didn’t really read your whole post but please don’t use the picture thread to make a big point. just post the pics. I like them. add some context, like time period, location, or even just emotion or an explanation of how you felt. your pics are good. you are an American citizen close to homelessness. that’s political as gently caress. post your experience. add some text to it to clarify a bit. but gently caress the haters. these aren’t awful pics. theyre your own experience in an urban decay.

pic of the landing of commodore Perry’s black ships arriving in Japan

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

samantonio posted:

lmao

Just lmfao

laws are not an ends in themselves but merely tools for a society to encourage/discourage particular behaviours, attitudes and values. using One Weird Trick to press boundaries while technically remaining within the law doesn't actually work

if you wanted posters itt to treat you kindly you perhaps should not have treated them first with contempt (regardless of whether you were following the letter of the rules or not)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

fr0id posted:

pic of the landing of commodore Perry’s black ships arriving in Japan

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Muscle Wizard posted:

post a picture Christ

it’s a picture of Nixon’s and Elvis meeting. Elvis wanted to help Nixon murder communists. and may have brought a gun into the White House to demonstrate his willingness

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm gonna post this again because everybody missed the C-SpAM part

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

gently caress it. if you’re gonna probe sanantonio for a post where they post a pic, probe me too. I like CSPAM but come the gently caress on don’t probe for pics, just ask them to add context.

pic of Nixon’s daughters, purportedly. may be someone else there.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lt. Danger posted:

laws are not an ends in themselves but merely tools for a society to encourage/discourage particular behaviours, attitudes and values. using One Weird Trick to press boundaries while technically remaining within the law doesn't actually work

if you wanted posters itt to treat you kindly you perhaps should not have treated them first with contempt (regardless of whether you were following the letter of the rules or not)

lol who cares about laws

look at where you post

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Lt. Danger posted:

if you wanted posters itt to treat you kindly you perhaps should not have treated them first with contempt

gently caress every piece of poo poo that posts in this thread IMO

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

GoutPatrol posted:

lol who cares about laws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L397TWLwrUU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-zeCXlFPjk

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I generally like pictures and commenting on pictures. Sometimes I don’t like a picture or the comments. I would like the mods and users to carefully curate their posting to meet my vague and inconsistent standards and I will not contribute to this thread regardless.

Thank you,

- A. Signed Post

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

eeeeyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fr0id posted:

gently caress it. if you’re gonna probe sanantonio for a post where they post a pic, probe me too. I like CSPAM but come the gently caress on don’t probe for pics, just ask them to add context.

pic of Nixon’s daughters, purportedly. may be someone else there.

Nixon was a liberal