Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
After watching I feel safe concluding that the average weekly sales of the Garfield comic collections at any random Scholastic Book Fair are higher than all of Garfield Eats sales over its entire existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Well, of course. The book fair, at worst, will get you lame kids' books or unfunny comic strips. At GarfEats, the best you got was awful pizza and coffee with orange peels in the bottom of the cup.

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist
Guys, he is not self aware. It's not an act. His loving micromanaging that woman, he actually hates her. His stupid prideful ignorance. His arrogance. I've seen so many assholes like this in real life. I thought I'd enjoy watching this in a weird way, but he just pisses me off.

FAN NO LONGER FAILSON.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

wildmamboqueen posted:

Guys, he is not self aware. It's not an act. His loving micromanaging that woman, he actually hates her. His stupid prideful ignorance. His arrogance. I've seen so many assholes like this in real life. I thought I'd enjoy watching this in a weird way, but he just pisses me off.

FAN NO LONGER FAILSON.

I do think he's playing it up to some degree, but not enough to hide that yeah he's a micromanaging rear end in a top hat and the worst kind of boss. There's too many things that make it obviously an act: including his line about looking like a villain at the start to set the tone, including commentary about how Nathan might be racist, etc. If Nathan wasn't putting on at least some kind of act I imagine he'd tell the editor to cut those parts for making him look bad, especially considering how micromanagey he is.

However, he's so much of an idiot that he doesn't realize his true assholeness shines through.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

He is going for the Amy's baking company gambit

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This feels like an insult to both Tommy Wiseau and Steve Sutton. Steve was a dude whose thing was the very early internet idea of just putting your life on a website in a way that criticism and self-awareness becomes irrelevant. Tommy Wiseau, meanwhile, had enough of a personality to scheme his way to funding an entire professional(ish) movie production himself, which means he somehow convinced strangers to give him a couple million in disposable income.
Him being an insult to both of those guys is perfect, so thank you for that reply.

I meant that on the spectrum of flipping the script, Steve Sutton once made a video "pulling back the curtain" and then the next video was back to normal since it was a joke, and Tommy Wiseau made pulling back the curtain into his entire life, whereas I cannot imagine Nathen being able to actually decide whether this series means anything or let it change his interactions with the public.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Bright Bart posted:

What I don't think has been addressed is what impact during one's formative years Garfield would have. Like, was it anyone's favourite cartoon? I hardly remember anything about it at all. What would speak to someone other than that tag-line he keeps mentioning?

My kids loved the most recent CGI Garfield cartoon show that was on. It was loving terrible.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
man this dude is going to crash and burn

and to him, it won’t ever be his fault

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Bright Bart posted:

What I don't think has been addressed is what impact during one's formative years Garfield would have. Like, was it anyone's favourite cartoon? I hardly remember anything about it at all. What would speak to someone other than that tag-line he keeps mentioning?

People cream themselves about Lorenzo Music being the voice of Garfield but I never thought of it as a selling point. The guy just has a very low energy voice, even for a cat that sleeps all day

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

He is going for the Amy's baking company gambit

On the one hand Amy was using her business to launder money for the mob, on the other hand she wasn't using her business to spread conspiracy theories about the pandemic being a population control government plot.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

steinrokkan posted:

On the one hand Amy was using her business to launder money for the mob, on the other hand she wasn't using her business to spread conspiracy theories about the pandemic being a population control government plot.

Wait is Nate doing that now?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
He kept posting on the GarfieldEATS account that covid was actually a secret mass sarin attack. That was months into the epidemic.

E: Also this should be considered when discussing his ability to deliberately and rationally choose his public image in his reality show.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 13, 2021

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

What Nathen really wants is celebrity as a performer. All the Garfield marketing stunts aren't a desperate attempt to save a failing business. The failing business is an excuse to perform the marketing stunts. It's why he's willing to allow some self-deprecation as the clownish Garfield guy. Because being famous as a 'comedian' is more important to Nathen than being a successful entrepreneur. His whole marketing/social media/ tech bullshit career was just to please his dad.

If he had talent and genuine self-awareness, he could be David Brent 2.0 or create a kayfabe persona like some reality and Youtube stars. But despite all the acting and improv classes, this is what his conscious attempts at comedy produce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yutQiCSUNOQ

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The Scooby-Eats product line revealed:
* Burgers
* Hot Dogs
* Lasagna?!?

He really is going to slap a Scoob sticker on the big cow lasagna

http://scoobydooeats.com/about-us/

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Uh, did we know Nathen is trying to make some kind of Amazon knockoff focused solely on licensed merchandise as a subsidiary of his company Entergage Inc.?

https://www.egeez.com

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Tato posted:

The Scooby-Eats product line revealed:
* Burgers
* Hot Dogs
* Lasagna?!?

He really is going to slap a Scoob sticker on the big cow lasagna

http://scoobydooeats.com/about-us/

quote:

Meat never dies; Afterall, it is Scooby-Doo’s favorite.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How does he still not have a copyeditor? :psyduck:

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Shut the gently caress up and look at this.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
I've only just discovered this thread, so I really have no idea what any of the backstory is. I just watched the documentary. Reminds me of the British The Office tv show. Is this thing real? Can anyone give me a run down.

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lt. Cock posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
For a physically fit young man with decent facial features, Nathen is really drat ugly and unpleasant to look at.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Sign up for my site where I will sell your brands and then passive aggressively talk poo poo about your brand when it doesn’t launch me into stardom.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

PoPcornTG posted:

I've only just discovered this thread, so I really have no idea what any of the backstory is. I just watched the documentary. Reminds me of the British The Office tv show. Is this thing real? Can anyone give me a run down.

Virtually every page of this thread is hilarious

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
GarfieldEats has been a gift that doesn’t stop giving.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

For a physically fit young man with decent facial features, Nathen is really drat ugly and unpleasant to look at.

It's the weird stubble, it looks painted on

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I've been busting....for years...

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
To me, it’s “I must be naturally good at something. After all, I was gifted everything.”

Naturally good at business? Nope

Maybe naturally good at being funny? Maybe.

Because the alternative is you actually have to do hard work to be good at something, and that can’t be true because I didn’t do any work and was gifted everything.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Lt. Cock posted:

Remember when people wanted to close this thread?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Forgot that he's lamented how "the cat" didn't t"take care" of him and now wonder if he genuinely did think every loves Garfield therefore my restaurant must succeed.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9TpEPFH-1Y

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

LadyPictureShow posted:

quote:

Meat never dies; Afterall, it is Scooby-Doo’s favorite.

there is a lot to parse here

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All hail the living flesh

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Empty Sandwich posted:

there is a lot to parse here

To me, it reads like an unsettling message you come across in a Silent Hill game.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christo this page.

MAXIMUM ENTERGAGEMENT

Lt. Cock posted:

LadyPictureShow posted:

To me, it reads like an unsettling message you come across in a Silent Hill game.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 15, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Remember when people wanted to close this thread?

He thinks he's so talented and interesting that he will never stop giving us content.

necroid
May 14, 2009

PoPcornTG posted:

money + unresolved issues

LadyPictureShow posted:

lol waiting to hear his opinions about circumcision

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Lt. Cock posted:

There is no part of this that isn't funny to me. It's the perfect post

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
Imagine being the poor soul paid to sing that GarfieldEats song

Also of course Nathen is the kind of person who wears airpods all the time

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lt. Cock posted:

This cements Nathen's role as the foremost entergager of our times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'm the shirt with my own name on it.