Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

How often to the dungeons/burial mounds reset?

i've been playing on a mp server for like 4 days and none of the dungeons (or surface ore) have respawned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

AndrewP posted:

is there an easier way to get leather scraps besides hunting the mythical rare boar that I can never find anywhere?

mark berries and important spawns like boar/deer/trolls on your map

they respawn in the same spot, plus or minus some wandering. do a run every few in game days.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I’m just starting out. Is there any way to turn deer hide into leather scraps? It seems like that should be a thing, since apparently I need leather to build a tanning rack that by definition, makes leather irl

^^^ whoa thanks I was e:fb but in reverse!

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Dackel posted:

Build a fence with an opening near your main base. Aggro 2 boar in there (the more stars the better), close the fence. Drop aggro around a house/wall, come back and throw single mushrooms/berries in there to feed them. This slowly tames them. Tamed boars will breed when not hungry (aka feed them once to become happy). Now you have a leather & meat farm. Just don't cull below a breeding pair

Be careful with lighting, as even tamed boars get frightened by it, when they are frightened they can slam into the fence and damage it. Once you have carrot seeds those will be your primary feeding food so you can keep mushroom and berries for crafting

Does tossing single food objects into the pen make a difference VS throwing a stack?

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a boar with one star, let alone multiple stars. What does it affect?

Random question: Can anyone confirm that weather damage reduces unroofed structures to half health but doesn't destroy them?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Scoss posted:

Random question: Can anyone confirm that weather damage reduces unroofed structures to half health but doesn't destroy them?

40+ in game days of my house's porch not getting obliterated seems to suggest the damage won't go past half.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Their aesthetics are destroyed, which is basically the same thing.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Scoss posted:

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a boar with one star, let alone multiple stars. What does it affect?

i've seen 1-star boars and lizards and deer, they're slightly tougher and drop more of the usual loot but they still get one-shot by upgraded weapons.

i found out you can put trophies on item mounts, and shortly afterwards found out that the deer boss trophy will randomly yell at people nearby

this is a multiplayer server where i turned my hut into a pub because it was close enough to the communal workbench/forge to build fermenters and fancy furniture inside, so now everyone can go inside for 30 seconds and get a 15 minute buff from an 8 comfort house.

Griz fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 15, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I found my first sunken crypt and uh are these things so annoying because they endlessly spawn enemies? The first room after the first goop pile just kept spawning enemies and I didn't see a spawner anywhere.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

explosivo posted:

I found my first sunken crypt and uh are these things so annoying because they endlessly spawn enemies? The first room after the first goop pile just kept spawning enemies and I didn't see a spawner anywhere.

Draugr? There has to be a pile of bodies somewhere. Take a torch and look around. Is there a watery passage to swim through to a different room? The rotting bastards can get through those as well.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fourrh boss gives you a 5 minutes wind at your backbuff that should help explorative sailors

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Dandywalken posted:

Fourrh boss gives you a 5 minutes wind at your backbuff that should help explorative sailors

Honestly, it's late game enough I don't think it would be OP to make it a passive buff instead of an activated one.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Last night I thought I'll go exploring a bit before going to bed to see if there's swamp biome on my personal starting island (we use a different one for group play) and to see how large the island was.

It took me a while to get back to my home hut and my Karve nearly got destroyed by the constant storms and I swear this guy had blue glowing eyes I've never seen before and was constantly trying to block my path.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
So planting like 200 trees on a steep hill leading to a ravine is a hilarious way to farm wood. Cut down the top row, and let gravity harvest the rest for you. Filled like 4 carts with wood.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Scoss posted:

Does tossing single food objects into the pen make a difference VS throwing a stack?

I think they just eat the whole stack without the added benefits (basically eating 50 carrots counts as 1 carrot).

Stars double resource drops. 1 star is double normal, 2 star is quadruple normal.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Started building a large actual-house, had a beech tree sprout from the top of my chimney then sink to the hearth two stories below.

A blessing from Freya.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
I don’t know if this was mentioned already irt portaling with ores, but here’s your cheese if you don’t have time to travel with ore.

Mine up ore, store in crates near where you gather it or whatever. Log off with ore in chests.
Make a single player world, build a hut full of empty chests, log off in it.
Log back on first world, stuff your inventory to the gills with ore. Log off.
Log onto second single player world, stuff all the ore into chests. Log off.
Log back onto first world, portal home and get near your base storage. Log off.
Log back onto single player world, grab ore, log off.
Log back into first world, shove ore into boxes.

There’s your solution to not being able to teleport ores, until they nerf it somehow.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
^^ Just Cheat Engine, sheesh.

Also how big are your saves getting? My World save is already 50+MB's... and like a tiny tiny fraction of this map is explored, do these things balloon to 200-500MBs eventually?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Really hope one of the short term updates adds ways to delete stuff from your inventory. It's super annoying to keep picking up that tiny stack of feathers and resin because the only way to actually get rid of poo poo is to throw it in water.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Pretty sure anything you toss out is automatically marked as "Do not automatically pick up".
Might reset on chunk reload though

Zierk
Jan 10, 2012
Just wanted to say this game is freaking amazing and is a steal for $20USD.

After 70 hours in game I was blown away by two huge tips:

1. You can hold down the E key while harvesting crops (no need to spam the E key)
2. You can left click your map icons to make a red X on them so you know you have cleared whatever is at that marker.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Im_Special posted:

Also how big are your saves getting? My World save is already 50+MB's... and like a tiny tiny fraction of this map is explored, do these things balloon to 200-500MBs eventually?

75MB so far. Not sure what has the highest impact on that, is it exploring, building or mining?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Quill posted:

Draugr? There has to be a pile of bodies somewhere. Take a torch and look around. Is there a watery passage to swim through to a different room? The rotting bastards can get through those as well.

Okay thanks, I don't think I knew they spawned from those, I must have missed it or something. I was thinking based on everyone's reaction to these dungeons that maybe I was expected to try to mine in between fighting off endlessly spawning enemies so that's a relief to learn you can clear them out.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Crop Harvesting Pro Tip: The Ategir's spinning secondary attack also functions like a scythe, and will pull up any crop it hits which is usually like 10-12 at a time.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

Okay thanks, I don't think I knew they spawned from those, I must have missed it or something. I was thinking based on everyone's reaction to these dungeons that maybe I was expected to try to mine in between fighting off endlessly spawning enemies so that's a relief to learn you can clear them out.

I'd recommend not bothering to mine out the slime piles. There are tons of swamp crypts, just run in, loot the convenient chests, then run out. You'll get plenty of iron and other loot that way.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Im_Special posted:

No
I literally called it cheese. I like boat rides.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Fart Car '97 posted:

Crop Harvesting Pro Tip: The Ategir's spinning secondary attack also functions like a scythe, and will pull up any crop it hits which is usually like 10-12 at a time.

Ohhh, handy.

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

I'd recommend not bothering to mine out the slime piles. There are tons of swamp crypts, just run in, loot the convenient chests, then run out. You'll get plenty of iron and other loot that way.

I'd love to get these crypts other people get where every entrance isn't plugged by muck piles.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

I wish we had this problem. I wish.... 4 whole swamps now explored and not a single crypt

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Im_Special posted:

I ended up doing this for bronze. Mining copper is incredibly tedious, and it feels like I'm not even guaranteed to get a chunk of copper ore every time I mine out a segment of the deposit. Tin is fine. If every chunk of the copper deposit gave me 1 ore with a chance for 2, then I would probably have skipped cheating in the extra stuff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Since I'm solo, I kinda want to cheat engine parts of this but I know that once that gate is open, I won't be able to stop.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone tried making a base on the plains? Feels like it would be pretty hardcore.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

Dackel posted:

I wish we had this problem. I wish.... 4 whole swamps now explored and not a single crypt

GruntyThrst posted:

I'd love to get these crypts other people get where every entrance isn't plugged by muck piles.

I must have gotten lucky then. I found like ten crypts within visual distance in my very first swamp

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, the three first swamps I found had 5+ crypts each, and I didn't explore them all fully.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jesus, yeah I've been sailing around and have seen 5 swamp biomes so far and so far they've all been real small with no crypts in them. This latest one I found is still small so I think this crypt is the only one in there. But it's also plugged up with goop so I have to mine it out to go in further.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Just picked this up and looking forward to dying alone and with friends.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I just built my first boat and am seeing why there are all the complaints about the wind. I read about tacking before in nautical books, used to make headway against the wind. Does it work here? If so how?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I just built my first boat and am seeing why there are all the complaints about the wind. I read about tacking before in nautical books, used to make headway against the wind. Does it work here? If so how?

We couldn't get tacking to work really.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Speed 1 is a paddle to use when there is no wind. It's slow but it's not so bad.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Taking kind of works except when you go into irons the boat tends to just stop instead of slowing and the rudder control is non existent. You have to then go backwards to turn the rest of the way to complete your tack.

But yes, tacking “works”.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

explosivo posted:

Jesus, yeah I've been sailing around and have seen 5 swamp biomes so far and so far they've all been real small with no crypts in them. This latest one I found is still small so I think this crypt is the only one in there. But it's also plugged up with goop so I have to mine it out to go in further.

I've had some swamp areas with no crypts and some with plenty. Also crypts where I pulled out like 100+ iron (slime and chests combined) and some that were three rooms full stop. Probably most hilarous was a teeny island literally just 10x10 feet of swamp with a crypt on it. Also as said in a previous post I sailed around for like 2-3 hours before finding a second swamp after the first one I found had zero crypts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I've found iron outside in a swamp biome once. I don't know if it was a generation error or just super rare. It was in one of those thin coastal biomes that rarely have crypts.