  • Post
Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Doctor Zero posted:

hey, so how many times has everyone watched the television show "Babylon 5"?? I think I've watched it at least 6 times.
Finished my second watch last Friday with the final two episodes of Season 5 and "In The Beginning". Hoping to do a short summary of my thoughts later on.

Was always a bit uncertain if my love for B5 was based on nostalgia and it being the first series I really binged, but nope... easily still my favourite sci-fi show out there.

First time, Londo was the MVP, but this time, G'Kar took that spot. Seeing him evolve from "I'll get you next time, Sinclair! :argh:" to his speeches in season 5 was something.

Baron von der Loon fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 15, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Baron von der Loon posted:

Finished my second watch last Friday with the final two episodes of Season 5 and "In The Beginning". Hoping to do a short summary of my thoughts later on.

Was always a bit uncertain if my love for B5 was based on nostalgia and it being the first series I really binged, but nope... easily still my favourite sci-fi show out there.

First time, Londo was the MVP, but this time, G'Kar took that spot. Seeing him evolve from "I'll get you next time, Sinclair! :argh:" to his speeches in season 5 was something.

yeah, it really stands up on a rewatch for all the cardboard sets and occasional hamminess

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

sebmojo posted:

yeah, it really stands up on a rewatch for all the cardboard sets and occasional hamminess

The hamminess makes it better in some ways I think. Babylon 5 was written and acted more like a stage play than a TV drama, and the actors play for the cheap seats while the dialogue pontificates like it was written for people who showed up with their Opera Glasses even as it goofs for the unwashed cretins. Shakespearean in the complete meaning of the term!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jedit posted:

Delenn describes Kosh's ship as being a part of him, and although we can't know for sure there is a strong possibility that it was actually Kosh's encounter suit that was poisoned in the pilot. So the contrast is that where the Shadows put unwilling others into their machines, the Vorlons put themselves into them.

Pretty sure JMS said that Kosh himself was poisoned by a crystalline substance that disrupted his energy patterns, something that a noncorporeal being would be vulnerable to (if you were familiar with the particulars of their "physiology", such as it is).

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

McSpanky posted:

Pretty sure JMS said that Kosh himself was poisoned by a crystalline substance that disrupted his energy patterns, something that a noncorporeal being would be vulnerable to (if you were familiar with the particulars of their "physiology", such as it is).

More like luxology

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

McSpanky posted:

Pretty sure JMS said that Kosh himself was poisoned by a crystalline substance that disrupted his energy patterns, something that a noncorporeal being would be vulnerable to (if you were familiar with the particulars of their "physiology", such as it is).

Still want to know how that handshake even worked. Makes me wonder if the original plan for Kosh was that he actually had limbs of some sort, encounter-suited or otherwise, behind that curtain.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
you would be correct

that's kosh and his 'life mate'

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

Horizon Burning posted:

you would be correct

that's kosh and his 'life mate'

Yeah Vorlons were originally conceived as reptilian, and the 'life mate' there was an unused character, Valena.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arach posted:

Yeah Vorlons were originally conceived as reptilian, and the 'life mate' there was an unused character, Valena.

Of course, for the pairing motif.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

While a lot of B5 seems weirdly prescient because of how it was about some future rise of fascism, that's only because it was doing a lot of looking backward at previous rises of fascism, and it's not hard to imagine that happening again. And a whole lot of incidents where totalitarian leaders were overthrown involve a lot of the military defecting, and a coup plot is a lot easier to pull off on soundstages with a tight cast than it would be to depict mass uprisings.

There's also the whole aspect that B5 was already written as being controlled by the military, so of course they're gonna come from a military perspective. It seems like a lot of sci-fi about humans spreading across the stars winds up with the military taking the lead, and the few series that don't usually fall into horrible dystopias where corporations have run wild.

Sanguinia posted:

And of course, nobody seems to have a problem that the next commander of B5 was on Clarke's side of the war, and is extremely Loud And Proud about it.

I thought she explicitly refused to confirm or deny which side she was on, which in its own way implied that she was loyal to Clarke.

It's been a long while since I watched season 5, but I think there was a real theme of a lot of the things that were won in the rest of the show beginning to decay. That one season finale that looked into the future really predicted a lot of bad times ahead.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Hmm... I started watching B5 regularly during S3, so it wasn't until TNT picked the show up that I was able to watch the whole thing from the beginning. I was definitely caught up by the end of S5. I also recorded every episode off TV onto VHS, and for a few years in grad school I'd do a 2-week binge after the school year ended to decompress.

I know I rewatched again when the DVD sets came out. After that, I think my next rewatch wasn't until 2004, when I watched the whole thing over the course of a year with my parents. Between then and now I think I did one more full rewatch, and was most of the way through another with friends when they moved out of state. So that would be 7 full watches, perhaps?

Sanguinia posted:

President Luchenko's first words to Sheridan are that half of the General Staff wants him shot, and when the twist that he's been elected at the ISA's President comes down, the first thing that happens is that some nameless General storms into the office they're holding him in looking to snatch back the Presidential Pardon covering his subordinate officers because he's basically evaded whatever retribution they had planned for him in the wake of his resignation from the military. And of course, nobody seems to have a problem that the next commander of B5 was on Clarke's side of the war, and is extremely Loud And Proud about it.

Earthforce and EarthGov clearly did absolutely NOTHING to get the Nazis out of its ranks in the wake of the Civil War. I mean poo poo, in the first conversation with Sheridan Luchenko's first priority is to drum up excuses for why nobody else did anything about Clarke as a preface for explaining why he needs to be punished for saving Earth from being entirely scoured of life by Space Hitler.

Its actually incredibly depressing when you think about it. I mean, think about the level of crimes Clarke directed, from the assassination of his predecessor to his collusion with the Shadows to the orbital bombardments and starvation tactics to the incredibly public shootout to seize ISN to deployment of a psychic gestapo to implementing Orwellian torture and brainwashing facilities to ultimately trying to basically wipe out of the bulk of the human race... and his followers were largely not purged from civilian OR military leadership, to the point that the very first thing that happened to the guy who saved the human race from his tyranny was an act of political retribution for having done it and the #1 talking point of the new government being "Lets all move on."

This is undoubtedly where Crusade was heading. Clark wasn't the only human who'd answered Morden's question. Worse, Crusade happens after the Telepath War, so undoubtedly Earth has cracked down again and the paranoid amoral bastards behind all the experimentation with Shadow-tech probably ended up being crucial in resolving that crisis, especially as I'm guessing the Shadows had worked on ways to jam telepath capabilities. JMS might have been able to do something interesting there, especially if the Drahk plague ended up being a second banana threat in comparison to the plague of fascism spreading through Earthforce. I had vague suspicions that they'd find a cure for the plague, but then learn it was a collective artificial intelligence and end up making it an ally against the real villains, which would have been a pretty massive switch. It's clear JMS registered that the Earth Civil War hadn't solved anything much, and "Deconstruction" demonstrates that Crusade wouldn't have, either. Humans may form communities, as Delenn says, but that includes fascist ones.

Angry Salami posted:

The ISA is just an absolute mess if you think about it; Sheridan seems to be Earth's representative on the council, despite Earth having no say in his appointment, there's no sign it does anything to fix the problems of the League worlds being effectively voiceless, and the majority of the Alliance's military answers to the President's wife.

Season five kind of leans a bit towards Sheridan being totally out of his depth, but it never really acknowledges that the system he created is deeply flawed and the best thing he could do would be to stand down and play a Cincinnatus or Washington, rather than allow its problems to become institutionalized under his leadership.

Farmer Crack-rear end' point about the Minbari being partly responsible is well-taken, but it's interesting to think that Sinclair wasn't part of the crew for B4. I am wondering whether, between the sabotage and the obvious career (and possibly species) ending consequences of screwing up, no trained ambassador was willing to take on the task. It's very likely that the Minbari knew they needed to request Sinclair for B5, and the fact that B5 was co-funded gave them the leverage to do so. That would have set the precedent, although it seems possible that post-series Earth would have sent a separate ambassador.

As for the ISA, I again think it's plausible Earth simply hasn't appointed a new representative yet. For that matter, does all of humanity get a single representative? If so, why would that person be from Earth, instead of Mars or Proxima or somewhere else? I would wager that it would take months to sort out the Earth government post-Clark, without factoring in all those additional complications; in any event, having a genuine UN-like body with a role more significant than that of the council in the show would be its own show, and I'm about 100% certain no studio executive would sign off on the idea. The Star Wars prequels came closest to giving us something like that.

S5 is pretty clear that Sheridan is in over his head, although part of the problem is they're mostly running the ISA government as an ad-hoc assemblage on B5. "My buddy the security chief is now in charge of all ISA intelligence" is not an especially wise decision, and for the most part the whole organization is falling back on the pre-existing structure within the Rangers, which is good in a military sense but not so much in a political sense. Then again, best practice when forming an organization like this one is to allow the empowered representatives work out how the government functions, and while G'Kar's principles may be in place early on ("Let's eat!"), sorting the rest would plausibly take more than 1 year.

The show's subtext supports a reading that Sheridan as ISA head makes sense in that he's the one figure that the peoples of the galaxy would collectively support, after his leadership in the Shadow/Vorlon war and his successful ending of that war. Not long after we meet him in S2 we find out how much he loves first-contact situations, and he seems genuinely good at that, so he's ideal to convince the various worlds to join the ISA as well as to recruit peoples not part of the existing B5 council. We don't really see him doing that, but then again, we don't see a lot of that work in S5. He's a good consensus-builder to get the ISA off the ground, but he isn't an especially skilled politician and we see him outmaneuvered multiple times in S5. Ironically, that may be part of what made him an acceptable first ISA President. The show isn't that interested in the administrative details, but I'd say that there's clear evidence they can't get worked out properly until after S5, when we shift from the B5 staff running the show to other people and when the headquarters moves to Minbar. The encyclopedia says Delenn took over after 18 years, and presumably Sheridan got better at his new job, though no doubt with Delenn's help.

Delenn is pretty clearly the one who will be, when it comes to making the ISA function properly. While we as show-watchers may appreciate what Delenn is capable of, she's almost certain to be underestimated by most of the member states: the Minbari know better, and select humans (I am guessing Clark did not televise her forcing Earthforce to abandon its attack on B5), but none of the other leadership is going to know what exactly they're getting into until they're riding the tiger. It's not clear how long she runs things, but I'm guessing it was decades.

JMS obviously has more faith in individual people than in administrative or governmental structures. Regardless of whether or not that's justified, it is certainly reflected in the show's handling of the ISA.

In doing a bit of research for this post I consulted the "Sleeping in Light" script. Aside from the drat onions in here all of a sudden, I was again struck at just how wonderfully that episode treats Emperor Vir. What a hell of a good character arc.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SlothfulCobra posted:

It seems like a lot of sci-fi about humans spreading across the stars winds up with the military taking the lead, and the few series that don't usually fall into horrible dystopias where corporations have run wild

This is, like the fascism stuff, from history; the costs had to be paid somehow, and in the vast majority of cases this was either through exploration and colonising being done under military command (eg the voyages of Captain Cook) or corporate (the East India Company).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sanguinia posted:

President Luchenko's first words to Sheridan are that half of the General Staff wants him shot, and when the twist that he's been elected at the ISA's President comes down, the first thing that happens is that some nameless General storms into the office they're holding him in looking to snatch back the Presidential Pardon covering his subordinate officers because he's basically evaded whatever retribution they had planned for him in the wake of his resignation from the military.

I'd love to see an alternate-timeline episode where Sheridan refuses to play ball and just flatly tells Luchenko "i did nothing wrong, and your ~political realities~ massacred tens of thousands of innocent civilians. up yours.", Luchenko has him arrested, and then walks over and sits down with Delenn, Londo, and G'kar and says "hey this has been fun having you over, but we're going to have to insist on Babylon 5 being returned to Earth control immediately. oh and we're also demanding the extradition of the B5 officers who supported Sheridan."

The look on her face when they say "for the first time in galactic history, the Narn Regime, Centauri Republic, Minbari Federation, and the entire League of Non-Aligned Worlds have all agreed on something, and that thing was to come charging in to save Sheridan. Who the gently caress are you to be dictating terms?" would be absolutely golden.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought she explicitly refused to confirm or deny which side she was on, which in its own way implied that she was loyal to Clarke.

You could be right. I distinctly remember her getting real snotty about "soldiers aren't supposed to turn on their government!!" which is what prompted me to think she was a loyalist as well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought she explicitly refused to confirm or deny which side she was on, which in its own way implied that she was loyal to Clarke.

Nope. In 507 she stated that she was on the other side.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Clean Wehrmacht and Sita Burning in the same thread. Weird confluence of everything.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I've watched Babylon 5 season 1 four times now, season 2 three times, season 3 twice, and never completely watched seasons 4 or season 5.

Here is a sampling of what science-fiction fans thought of Babylon 5 as it originally aired in 1994.

&&&&&&&&&&&
Date: 30 Mar 94 22:55:47 GMT
From: hummel@athena.mit.edu (Franklin Hummel)
Subject: Re: B5-loaded question

feline+@RI.CMU.EDU (Carol S Boshears) writes:
>I see that there are a lot of B5 fans out there. No flames please, but
>please give me a list of reasons you think this show is good.

Think of the 1st season of STAR TREK:TNG. A lot of people seem to have
forgotten it. It was horrible, and a lot of the reason why, in addition to
BAD scripts, was bad acting! Talk about stiff! Ecch!

>(I actually liked the pilot.) I believe it had/has potential, but is far
>from what it could be. As people who are amazed at its popularity, I just

Remember the pilot for TNG - "Encounter at Farpoint"? Pretty sad,
pretty bad... And you LIKED the B5 pilot!

The reason WHY I like B5 so much is BECAUSE of its potential. And it is
slowly showing that potential. After all, we have only been shown EIGHT
episodes! Would you have wanted to judge TNG by its first episodes?

Among the reasons why it has potential: Harlan Ellison, David Gerrold,
Dorothy Fontana. All writers for the original TREK and with Ellison and
Gerrold, well-establish and well-respect professional SF authors.

There are other SF-related authors working on it as well.

It's a NEW show; it is taking time to work-out the bugs, things to start
coming together, etc. etc.. I would say, 4 of the first 8 stories ("Soul
Hunter", "Parliment of Dreams", "And the Sky Full of Stars" and "Mind War"
have been good to excellent. Only 2 have been bad: "War Prayer"
"Infection". And, in my opinion, both rated a LOT better then TNG's recent
"Genesis" - I suspect TREK continues to have fairly high numbers out of
people's habot of watching it, not because there is much quality left in
it.
I'm one of those folks who think the HIGH point for TNG was its 3rd and
4th season. That is was a slow rise us, and a rapid drop downward (which
is still continuing). I can barely watch the show any more. (And, you are
talking with someone who help run TREK cons, has had TREK actors in their
home for dinner, and was a BIG Trek fan for over 25 years, starting with
the very first episode which aired in 1966!)

The point is, it look 2+ years for TNG to find itself and start
producing really good stuff. And yet people want to dump B5 as trash and a
rip-off and fill-in-the-insult-here after EIGHT episodes? They seem to
have forgotten TREK's own history!

But the thing about BABYLON 5 that is making it really of interest is
its ongoing storyline. Even the poorer episodes you still come away with
an interest and a fasination with this overall story.

There ARE wonders to be seen and experienced in BABYLON 5. But these
come with time, not all at once. If you want a quick fix of junk food,
watch TREK - that is what it has become. If you want something which will
stay with you, something you can savor and joy overtime, watch BABYLON 5.

Frank Hummel
hummel@mit.edu

------------------------------

*** EOOH ***
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 94 10:16:28 EDT
From: Saul Jaffe (The Moderator) <sf-lovers-request@rutgers.edu>
Sender: sfl@gandalf.rutgers.edu
To: SFLOVERS-RECIPIENTS
Subject: SF-LOVERS Digest V19 #261

SF-LOVERS Digest Tuesday, 12 Apr 1994 Volume 19 : Issue 261

Today's Topics:

Television - Babylon 5 (11 msgs)

Date: 31 Mar 94 11:36:16 GMT
From: snotley@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Stephen Notley)
Subject: The station's political significance

This one's sort of a long 'un. Basically, I just got to thinking about the
comparative effort that each race seems to be putting in to their
participation in B5, and that lead to some thoughts.

So, here's my list of races, in order of least interested to most, and what
that might or might not imply.

The Centauri - We lack specific information about how much the Centauri
might have acutally committed to B5 in terms of production assistance, but
it's pretty clear they're not really interested in its operation. Several
reasons, here. 1) Their ambassador is a big goof. Now, we know that Londo
is a deeper, more complex person than all that, but certain facts are true.
We know that he drinks, and we know that he'd rather spend more time in the
casino than in the council chamber. He is a serious person, but he doesn't
*appear* to be, and in diplomacy, that's half the game. 2) Vir. That's all
the support Londo has received from Centauri Prime. One staff member, and
apparently only enough money that Londo keeps running out on the gambling
tables. An American embassy has dozens of staff, even in seemingly
inconsequential countries. 3) Londo is ineffective. The one time he tried
to achieve anything was in "Midnight", when he tried to avenge what he
thought was the murder of his nephew. He got turned down flat by Centauri
Prime. So, not only was the recommendation of the B5 ambassador ignored,
but the Centauri went on to leave Londo pretty much completely out of the
loop, even going so far as to respond to G'Kar's request for information.
In other words, there was a crisis and the Centauri very specifically did
NOT use Babylon 5 to resolve it. They just dealt with it independently.

So, as an empire in decline, you'd think that they'd see B5 as a place with
some opportunity, but at the moment that hasn't happened. They seem, at the
moment, to be just along for the ride, but they don't really seem committed
to the station.

The Narn - Now, here's a total contrast to the Centauri. Londo is (on the
surface) ridiculous, and he receives little support from homeworld. G'kar,
on the other hand, is flamboyant, powerful - a perfect statesman.
Furthermore, we see that he enjoys considerable support from home. He has a
steady stream of staff, and in fact in "Mind War" we see that he has the
kind of pull to actually just dial up a pair of fighters on a whim. The
Narn are putting some effort into *using* B5.

Consider the situation in "Midnight." Here's an interstellar incident.
What happens? The Centauir back out. The Narn, on the other hand, jump at
the opportunity to use B5 to legitimize their invasion. The key
responsibility of forestalling the possible interstellar repercussions is
given to G'kar - the B5 ambassador. They very specifically use the council
to make sure they get away with it (or they try, anyway).

And, to top it off, we've seen hints that G'kar is more in the know than we
might have thought. Watch the "nobody is what he seems" scene in "Mind War
and you'll see he gives particular emphasis to his reference to Sinclair.
Yes, he's talking to Catherine, but the fact is, he knows something. I get
the impression (which I'll deal with in more length below) that something
is seriously up at B5, and I think the Narn know more than they're telling.

The Humans - Well, we built the drat thing. Now, the big question is: if
giant UNs in space are such a good idea, how come only humans seem
interested in pursuing it? We've built five, and nobody else seems eager to
start even one. Why? Ideally, there should be diplomatic and economic
advantage to being the race running the thing if it works, but we have yet
to see that it does.

B5 is proof of at least one thing that makes humanity different - we strive
to create a community in space. Consider a B5-less universe. Each race has
embassies on the homeworlds of each of the others. Their diplomatic
interaction, therefore, is one-on-one. It's unidimensional. If there's a
dispute between the Narn and the Earth Alliance, then the Narn ambassadors
talk to Earth officials and vice versa. The other ambassadors from other
races are informed, but it's fundamentally not their problem.

With B5, all races are invited to take an interest in each other, even when
the issue doesn't directly affect them. The humans are the first and only
race to attempt to create this kind of community. Perhaps that makes us
more interesting than we realize, which segues nicely into...

The Minbari - Now we're getting somewhere. Judged by the same criteria I've
been applying to the others, the Minbari interest is huge. We know that
they actually assisted in the construction (I think). We know that they
took an extremely active interest in who the commander was, and we see that
although the ambassador doesn't receive a lot of outward support, with a
huge staff and lots of supplies, the Minbari go one better by installing a
head of state as ambassador. What are they so interested?

Speculation time. Possible spoilers, I guess.

Think back. It's a few years before the Earth-Minbari War. The Minbari are
finalizing their incredible plans for the sentient races of the universe.
Perhaps it is a joining, a mergence and transformation. Perhaps it's
considerably more sinister. At any rate, they know that they will encounter
horrific opposition, but for some reason they know they have to do this.

Then the E-M War happens. Maybe it's the mistake we think it is, maybe it's
actually the first stages of this incredible plan. Whatever. The point is,
they crush Earth defenses and are about to crush Earth when one of the holy
men on the main cruiser stops, noticing something in one of the men in one
of the ships they are cutting up. They fire up their tractor beams or their
telekinetics and pull him in.

They strap him to a giant triangle. One approaches, and holds up a glowing
triangle, a device they use to read the threads of fate. What do they see?

They see a giant space station. They see Babylon 5, an idea that had never
existed before.

They suddenly realize the potential. Perhaps this thing that may lie in
this man's future can help them. It may...just...be...possible that they
can use it. They could never have set such a thing up themselves, of
course, because no race would trust them enough to participate. But this is
a uniquely human invention. The humans will create it of their own accord,
given the chance, and they'll run it too, and the other races may actually
go along with it. It's risky, but it allows them a way out of the horrific
genocide they knows lies along their own path. They know that it may just
be possible to use this station to bring their plans to fruition, at a
fraction of the cost.

And they know that, whatever happens, this man is part of it.

They convene. They decide. They will do it. They will take the path of risk
and greater mercy. But who knows what might happen if this new path fails?
Might it not destroy everything?

Well, it's just a thought.

The Vorlons - This doesn't really belong here. Who knows how the Vorlons
feel about B5? Sorry, Mr. Naranek is feeling cryptic today; actually, he'll
be down with a case of cryptic all week, now that you mention it. We know
that he's full of BS when he says that they take no interest in the affairs
of others, since he's there, after all. Perhaps they fit into this whole
Minbari thing somehow, and Kosh is just posted there to keep tabs on
things. We *do* know that they've made it abundantly clear they will not
be messed with. When you send an armed fleet to pick up the *suspected*
poisoner of your ambassador, you're announcing pretty clearly that you take
certain things pretty seriously.

He sure is cool, though.

So, any comments? This one's all over the map. Really, it's just an
elaborate background for my "what-the-hell-was-actually-going-on-in-that-
Minbari-cruiser?" theory, though some of the early stuff may help to slot
in new info about different intentions. I don't know. I at least like my
version a little better than some of the "they-just-didn't-realize-how-
brave we-were" explanations for why they grabbed Sinclair.

Stephen
snotley@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

------------------------------

Date: 31 Mar 94 20:26:29 GMT
From: snolan@selma.hq.af.mil (Scott D Nolan)
Subject: I have to ask, does anyone like Garibaldi?

Ok, I have to ask, does anyone like the character Garibaldi? Don't mean to
sound tough on him, but this is a fabulous show and the things I feel could
be done to make it perfect would be to make the current first officer the
security officer, bring back the first officer from the pilot movie, dump
Garibaldi altogether, and (grin) give Lando a haircut... :-)

All in all, a great show with FANTASTIC effects. Specially the fighter and
space shots (no big surprise), but also the characters (which I am very
pleasantly surprised at). The plots are also really good, though some of
them don't seem to catch until the second viewing.... hmmm....

Anxiously waiting more episodes and hoping for a rerun of the Pilot.

Scott Nolan
snolan@selma.hq.af.mil

------------------------------

Date: 31 Mar 94 21:11:48 GMT
From: mojo@netcom.com (Morris Jones)
Subject: Re: Unnatural Sinclair

shupe@crazyhorse.rchland.ibm.com (Jim Shupe) writes:
>One question to end this post... what episode had Delenn and Sinclair
>married in a Minbari ceremony???

"Parliament of Dreams."

And keep in mind that Sinclair was the only candidate to run B5 that the
Minbari didn't veto.

Morris Jones
Campbell, CA
mojo@caere.com

------------------------------

Date: 31 Mar 94 21:22:40 GMT
From: gwangung@u.washington.edu (just another theatre geek)
Subject: Re: The station's political significance

Very nice analysis and dead on, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not certain
the speculations are quite right, but it has the right weight and
complexity... Definitely more subtle than what we've seen in SF TV
before...

Roger Tang
gwangung@u.washington.edu

------------------------------

Date: 31 Mar 94 22:08:04 GMT
From: ggodwin@jabba.cybernetics.net (Greg Godwin)

>I don't know but I think the Vorlons ARE the key to much of what WILL
>happen on the station. Perhaps even the Vorlons and the Minbari are in
>cahoots to "bring along" the evolution of the human species, neh?

I don't think so...Remeber the movie premiere? A Minbari was in alliance
with the Narn when Kosh was poisoned. Kosh made it clear that he doesn't
really care about what happens to the Narn or Minbari. There is definitely
something strange about Kosh. Sinclair stated that the only two people who
knew the most about Kosh were transferred off the station within weeks of
each other.

------------------------------

Date: 31 Mar 94 22:31:14 GMT
From: mojo@netcom.com (Morris Jones)
Subject: Re: Babylon 1-4

smirnov@buphy.bu.edu (Anton Smirnov) writes:
>What happened to Babalon 1-4? do we know yet?

Babylons 1-3 were all sabatoged and destroyed. In fact, their left over
parts were recycled as much as possible into Babylon 5.

Babylon 4 disappeared without a trace within 24 hours of becoming
operational. We'll find out what happened in "Babylon Squared," but I'll
bet half a year's salary that we won't find out _why_. :)

Morris Jones
Campbell, CA
mojo@caere.com

------------------------------

Date: 31 Mar 94 23:22:00 GMT
From: sulkom@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Mark Sulkowski)
Subject: Re: Sinclair as Ambassador

bishop@pole.catt.ncsu.edu (Dexy) writes...
>I'm not sure if ambassador really is in Sinclair's job description.

One thing mentioned in "The War Prayer" is that there are ambassadors
from the major races on Earth also. The "real" Earth ambassador is
probably there. Sinclair was approved by the Minbari to be the Earth
representative on the station.

I'm not sure why there is this dual-UN style arrangement.

Mark S.

------------------------------

Date: 31 Mar 94 23:56:17 GMT
From: nmehl@ccat.sas.upenn.edu (Nathan J. Mehl)
Subject: Re: There are two holes in your mind.

jhove@cs.mcgill.ca (Benoit JAUVIN-GIRARD) writes:
>You want to know what I think?
>
>I think that, when the Minbaris looked through Sinclair's mind, whatever
>the original reason (maybe they wanted to put him on trial for the whole
>human race, or wanted to perform some ritual ceremony using him), they
>found out that, as far as their computers can tell, Sinclair is the best
>candidate to become Next High Minbari Mucky-Muck, leader of the Faithful,
>Head of the Grey Consul, etc.

You know...

This is the first idea of what the hell is up with Sinclair that I've seen
here that actually appeals to me. I don't think it'll be the case, but
unlike most of the others, I wouldn't automatically feel the need to pound
JMS into the ground if this were the case. :)

>Then I think they panicked, erased those 24 hours of torture in shame, and
>ran away. And now they're trying to figure out what to do with him.
>
>Or maybe he was indentified as some sort of Messiah figure? Or maybe they
>discovered that *someone else* had implanted the personnality profile of
>their great leader into Sinclair's mind?

Y'know, I'd bet large amounts of money that none of these are the case, but
it'd make for some pretty interesting alternate-universe fanfic...

Speaking of which, have any actual fan organizations sprung up around B5
yet? It's still a *little* early, but if it gets picked up for a second
season, an officially PTEN-sponsored and approved fan club might be in
order. Hell, if my thesis is finished by that point, I might even
volunteer to run the thing...

Nathan J. Mehl
nmehl@ccat.sas.upenn.edu

------------------------------

Date: 31 Mar 94 23:56:19 GMT
From: crdmi@vulcan.giss.nasa.gov (Daniel M. Israel)
Subject: Re: I have to ask, does anyone like Garibaldi?

Garibaldi is cool. In a station full of diplomats, kudos to an obnoxious,
abrasive personality.

Daniel M. Israel
Goddard Institute of Space Studies
2880 Broadway
New York, NY
crdmi@vulcan.giss.nasa.gov

------------------------------

Date: 31 Mar 94 23:58:34 GMT
From: bishop@pole.catt.ncsu.edu (Dexy)

Greg Godwin <ggodwin@jabba.cybernetics.net> wrote:
>really care about what happens to the Narn or Minbari. There is
>definitely something strange about Kosh. Sinclair stated that the only
>two people who knew the most about Kosh were transferred off the station
>within weeks of each other.

Has this got something to do with Kosh in particular? I think it has more
to do with the Vorlons simply being _quite_ protective about their
secrets...

bishop@pole.catt.ncsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: 1 Apr 94 00:38:59 GMT
From: mmaser@sirius.uvic.ca (Michael Maser)
Subject: Minbari/Sinclair

I have and always will feel that humans have the inate ability to use
latent psychic powers, but those who aren't aware need to be trained in
order to bring these powers out. I feel that the Minbari saw that Sinclair
had these latent psychic abilities and upon further investigation, saw that
all humans possessed the same abilities. Furthermore, the fact that there
even exists a Psi-Corp, that is at the brink of discovering a way to
unleash these powers, leads me to believe this to be the fundamental reason
for Sinclair's release and the Minbari surrender. The Minbari realized
that fully trained humans would be able to wipe out entire fleets with just
a simple thought. This type of Telekinetic power would be unstoppable, so
it is much easier to roll over in defeat as the Minbari did. If Sinclair
were to remember any of his time aboard the Minbari cruiser, he would
realize the truth about himself and all other humans.

Furthermore, I think that the other races (Narn, Centauri, etc.) do not
possess these abilities as shown by the blatant Centauri lie about their
psychics. I feel the Minbari are hoping that they may be able to find their
own psychic abilities by monitoring the human's progress. Thus it would be
to their disadvantage to kill Sinclair and wipe out the human race.
Therefore, the Minbari surrender was motivated out of fear and to better
thier own race.

But I could be wrong !!??

Mike Maser
mmaser@ugly.uvic.ca

------------------------------

End of SF-LOVERS Digest
***********************

1,,
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 94 10:36:24 EDT
From: Saul Jaffe (The Moderator) <sf-lovers-request@rutgers.edu>
Sender: sfl@gandalf.rutgers.edu
To: SFLOVERS-RECIPIENTS
Subject: SF-LOVERS Digest V19 #262

*** EOOH ***
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 94 10:36:24 EDT
From: Saul Jaffe (The Moderator) <sf-lovers-request@rutgers.edu>
Sender: sfl@gandalf.rutgers.edu
To: SFLOVERS-RECIPIENTS

SF-LOVERS Digest Tuesday, 12 Apr 1994 Volume 19 : Issue 262

Today's Topics:

Television - Babylon 5 (15 msgs)

Date: 1 Apr 94 01:17:48 GMT
From: hammar@python.cs.unm.edu (neil hammar)

markl@dvorak.amd.com (Mark Luedtke) wrote:
>except why is a military officer, who should be a full time base
>commander,

Actually a mere commander is far too low ranking for even this task.
This station has a quarter million people on it. The head human should be
an admiral at least, with a half dozen people under him who still outrank
Sinclair.

>also an ambassador?

The Minbari helped finance the Babylon project. (The Minbari are also
the race we are most worried about keeping the peace with, so their opinion
would carry a lot of weight anyway.)
The Minbari refused to participate unless they approved of the station
commander.
The Minbari then rejected every person the Earth Alliance proposed,
until they worked all the way down through the ranks to a fighter jock
whose career had hit a ten year stall.
The Minbari then send a member of the Gray Council on covert assignment
as their ambassador.
The Minbari are >up to something<.

Neil Hammar
hammar@cs.unm.edu

------------------------------

Date: 1 Apr 94 02:21:44 GMT
From: Aylott@world.std.com (Chris M Aylott)

Scott D Nolan (snolan@Selma.hq.af.mil) wrote:
>does anyone like the character Garibaldi?

I liked him in "The Gathering", but he became one of my favorites in
"Midnight". Can't decide whether it was his second favorite thing or the
line "If you ask me, the universe is going to hell in a handbasket."

Quite aside from the funny lines (and he gets a LOT of them :-), I love the
fact that he seems to be the loneliest of the regulars - he always seems a
little too eager to please others. I noticed it first in the final scene
with Ivanova in "Born to the Purple" when (after letting her off the hook
for the unauthorized transmissions) he tries to reach out and help her feel
better, but can't quite connect.

But as you see from the other responses, he's pretty popular, at least with
the viewing audience.

Aylott

------------------------------

Date: 1 Apr 94 05:16:55 GMTF
From: seurer@nordruth.rchland.ibm.com (Bill Seurer)

Garibaldi always has struck me as the most, err, "natural" of the human
characters. He fits his role on the station well and the part is well
acted too.

Obviously JMS like the character too because Garibaldi is always showing up
in the elevator or wherever so someone can elbow him in the gut. :-) I
always know I'll like the next bit of the show when he's involved.

Since then I've come to like Susan just as much but her character took a
bit more getting used to. And the two of them together are always great.

Bill Seurer
Language and Compiler Development
IBM Rochester, MN
BillSeurer@vnet.ibm.com
BillSeurer@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: 1 Apr 94 05:36:57 GMT
From: Eric@wolf359.esnet.com (Eric Edwards)
Subject: Re: Third Age of Mankind (was Re: B5: Minbari Culture.

Mark O. Wilson writes:
> BTW, I thought it was firmly established that the Vorlons were methane
> breathers.

NOTHING is firmly established about the Vorlons. The methane atmosphere
may be a ruse. Since Kosh has not been seen outside an environ suit, he
could breath most anything.

Eric Edwards
eric@wolf359.esnet.com

------------------------------

Date: 1 Apr 94 05:50:43 GMT
From: dmarch1@gl.umbc.edu (Donald March)
Subject: Re: I have to ask, does anyone like Garibaldi? (maybe spoilers)

>I liked him in "The Gathering", but he became one of my favorites in
>"Midnight". Can't decide whether it was his second favorite thing or the
>line "If you ask me, the universe is going to hell in a handbasket."

I nearly died laughing when I saw Garibaldi watching Duck Dodgers in the
24th 1/2 Century! And with Delenn looking puzzled.

>Quite aside from the funny lines (and he gets a LOT of them :-), I love
>the fact that he seems to be the loneliest of the regulars - he always
>seems a little too eager to please others. I noticed it first in the final
>scene with Ivanova in "Born to the Purple" when (after letting her off the
>hook for the unauthorized transmissions) he tries to reach out and help
>her feel better, but can't quite connect.

I think that Garibaldi will be the first, if anyone, to crack Ivanova's
hard exterior. I like how she said "maybe some other time." This leaves
room for definite expansion. Maybe she'll share Garibaldi's second favorite
thing in the universe. Maybe she'll share something else too...

Donald March
University of Maryland
Baltimore County
dmarch1@gl.umbc.edu

------------------------------

Date: 1 Apr 94 07:07:53 GMT
From: threlkel@ucsu.colorado.edu (THRELKELD TIMOTHY PATRICK)

What the hell? I think Garibaldi is the best actor on B5. He is the only
one not trying so hard to be something. Sinclair is too stuffed up, the
first officer is one dimensional, the Psi-corp girl is too overly
dramatic... I could go on with other minor flaws, but IMHO Garibaldi and
Lando give this show an immeasurable flare to a cast and show that
otherwise is rather dull.

Tim

------------------------------

Date: 1 Apr 94 08:49:11 GMT
From: cfg@netcom.com (Carlos Francisco Gomez)
Subject: Re: What do the Narn (sp.?) know?

mduell@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Mark Duell) writes:
>I was watching the pilot movie for B5 yesterday and noticed that G'Kar
>knew that DeLenn was on the Grey Council. How did he find this out, and
>why haven't the Earth Alliance personel been able to discover it? I
>realize the Narn knowledge must be limited because G'Kar kept pressing in
>asking why the Minbari didn't finish the Earth off until DeLenn put him
>into pain.

G'Kar didn't know Delenn was on the Grey Council, but he did know :

1 - Carolyn's space route as part of his implication of Sinclair.

2 - That Kosh was recovering, else why the risky attack in the Med Lab?

3 - Sinclair was the "accused assassin" after the telepath in the pilot
identified him.

In MOTFL he also knew:

4 - Londo was trying to bluff the "U.N." into placing sanctions against the
Narn against the orders of the Centauri Republic.

5 - ?

There are probably others I have forgotten. While each can be explained
individually, as a whole they look fishy to me. IMO he definitely has a
covert newsfeed, maybe CNarN. Humble apologies for the pun, but it had to
be done, if only for the fun.

------------------------------

Date: 1 Apr 94 16:53:03 GMT
From: johnmajor@aol.com (John Major)
Subject: Re: Minbari & Humans

>> Okay, then why in the episode "Soul Hunter" did the renegade soulhunter
>> say to the ambasador something to the effect of how can they be so bold
>> or brave or something as what they plan to do regarding humans. He then
>> said to the commander something to the effect of they (the Minbari)
>> are using you.
>
> This reminds me of that one WarOfTheWorld episode where an alien female
> comes to the Earth to "help" them..but turns out to be actually checking
> up on the humans since their "human food source" was in danger of being
> eliminated...

But in "Soul Hunter," at the end, when Delenn is recovering (and only
semi-conscious, and not on guard as she must be normally), she looks at
Sinclair, smiles, and says "We were right about you. We..." Sinclair bets
a year's pay that nobody would ever hear the rest of that sentence.

What were they right about? That he was honorable, and would *help* the
Minbari, maybe even risk his life for them?

------------------------------

Date: 2 Apr 94 23:30:42 GMT
From: dgwagner@math.uwaterloo.ca (David G. Wagner)
Subject: Re: Garibaldi

Yep... I'm one more what likes him. In fact, I can identify with all three
of the "top" human characters, for various reasons. That really stuns me,
actually, as most tv I've seen (and tv sf especially) is extremely flat
when it comes to character depth. Here's what I mean:

Garibaldi: wisecracking, jovial, but lonely... tough when he must be but
he'd much rather be your buddy... and you have to like his second
favourite thing in the universe! (Watching him and Delenn eating popcorn I
nearly fell out of my chair!). I usually feel that Garibaldi's actions are
quite well motivated.

Ivanova: my favorite... she is a tense, nasty, tight-lipped bitch, and
still a sympathetic character! Hearing her mother's story brought out into
the open the fact that there must have been a lot of pain in her life to
make her as she is now, although that was apparent from the start (I
thought). BTW, for you twits who think she should get together with
Talia... no way, it'll never happen.

Sinclair: the "mystery man"... O'Hare has been criticized for wooden
acting, but he has a tough assignment. Sinclair is not an expressive
person. He has a lot going on in his head that he does not want to let
out... how exactly do you portray that? As for leadership qualities, I
figure he's doing fine: solid in a confrontation, decisive, and flexible
(see MotFL). I think O'Hare's performance in AtSFoS was great, and I'm
waiting for our next little peek into Sinclair's character. ("Commander,
there's a problem!"... sheesh, the guy never gets a break!)

Dave Wagner
dgwagner@math.uwaterloo.ca

------------------------------

Date: 3 Apr 94 16:18:27 GMT
From: cdj@lns598.lns.cornell.edu (Chris D Jones)
Subject: Alien gender characteristics

I was watching some tapes of the show last night and as I looked at the
various alien makeup I was wondering if certain characteristics of the
make-up were gender linked.

Centauri: They have the most obvious gender characteristics but are the
differences in hair a genetic characteristic or mearly a fashion? The body
types also appear to be close to human with males on average larger than
females and females having mammary glands.

Narn: By looking closely at the tapes I thought that the males seemed to
have longer indented regions around their eyes than females although I only
had one female to draw conclusions from. I didn't notice any obvious
difference between the spot patterns between males and females. The Narn's
didn't have obvious size differences between genders although females still
seem to have mammary glands.

Menbari: On Deleen's aid (Lenier?) I noticed the bone growth on his head
(does that have an official name?) had a central ridge. Is this a sex
linked characteristic or is it just a family trait?

Vorlons: ????

Has anyone else noticed anything. I hope the writers add some very
non-human physical differences to the various species.

Chris Jones

------------------------------

Date: 3 Apr 94 17:38:08 GMT
From: joshin@cats.ucsc.edu (Joshua Burnett Goldsmith)
Subject: Vorlons

Am I alone in noticing that the Vorlons seem to look an awful lot like a
human pelvis with a snake peeking through... Weird.

Josh

------------------------------

Date: 4 Apr 94 19:38:03 GMT
From: bjmusser@eos.ncsu.edu (BARBARA JANICE MUSSER)
Subject: Soul Hunter questions

I was just rewatching Soul Hunter (you lucky people get it on Wednesday
and I get it Sunday night!) and the Soul Hunter, after looking at Delenn's
soul, says, "You would plan such a thing? You would DO such a thing??" He
must be talking about something to do this Sinclair since he recognizes him
as the one the Minbari did something to, but what was it? It seems like a
strong statement for just some sort of mind blank. What could surprise a
Soul Hunter?
Also, when he asked why Sinclair was helping Delenn, the Soul Hunter
said, "She is Satai." That seems to imply that just because she is Satai
is a good enough reason for Sinclair to not help her. Maybe a Satai is
more than JUST a member of the Grey Council. Then he says that they're
using you. Could the you mean the human race or just Sinclair? Either
way, saying that she is Satai is a good enough reason not to help her seems
to imply something about the title.

Barbara

------------------------------

Date: 4 Apr 94 19:59:38 GMT
From: bcranton@coal.wpi.edu (Brian W. Cranton)
Subject: Some nit-picking observations

***Major Spoilers Ahead for Soul Hunter, Midnight on the Firing Line, and
The Sky is Full of Star(?) ***

Oh - my other big gripe is that space scenes always seem to start out real
good and spectacular, but end with a depressingly quick fizzle (this is
more of a letdown than a gripe, some of the scenes are phenomenal - only
their endings leave a lot to be desired). A lot of people have already
mentioned the Soul Hunter ship recovery which started out mind boggling
good, but ended without much in the way of cool FX (and, I might add, it
ended with a typical MacGyver/Star Trek/Six Million Dollar Man/etc.
artificial dramatic suspense scene. I mean when they were 10 seconds from
impact and Sinclair is saying this is his last shot was anyone else
wondering how Sinclair could have been so stupidly irresponsible to let the
thing get that close to the station? And why the people at C&C just assume
their Commander was insane and blow the thing away to save the station?
They should have been counting down to say the thirty seconds to impact
point, at which time they would have blown it away (i.e. someone manning
the sensors saying "We will still have a 99% chance to deflect the ship up
until it is within 27 seconds of imact with the station", and having
Sinclair's last attempt at the 28 second mark).

There are other scenes as well where it looks like either time or monetary
constraints led to quick patchups of the end of the space scenes. For
instance the Minbari tractor beam - after that magnificent space battle
scene I am sure I'm not the only one who groaned in disgust when I saw the
tractor beam kick in. If that wasn't a quick fix to get the point across
to the viewer that Sinclair was indeed captured (in record time), I don't
know what is.

I have to admit I haven't seen many of the episodes so far (Mind War in
particular is one I missed), but perhaps the space scene that sticks out in
my mind as being the best done start to finish - that is, no bogus ending -
was when Garibaldi and the other pilot were out surveying the destroyed
Frighter in Midnight on the Firing Line. The way the spotlights from the
fighters crisscrossed the frieghter was spectacular. The final space fight
of that episode was good - but the Buck Roger's like appearance of the
Renegade's spaceships just killed the scene. Watching the Furies manuver
gracefully in 3-D spacelike motion was cool - but putting them next to
cumbersome 'old sci-fi' looking Renegades really made the contrast between
good and not-so-good really shine through.

Brian Cranton
bcranton@wpi.wpi.edu

------------------------------

Date: 4 Apr 94 21:03:58 GMT
From: gonzalez@netcom.com (John Gonzalez)
Subject: Earth/centauris

I have a question for those in the know. Now, is Earth near Centauri space
or what was once Centauri space? That's the impression I've gotten so far.
If my impression was correct, did the Centauris know about the humans on
Earth when they were less advanced, in terms of space technology? Why
didn't the Centauris go to Earth and strip it clean? Or did we, being and
industrial society, strip it clean already?

John

------------------------------

Date: 5 Apr 94 00:50:09 GMT
From: wes5@kimbark.uchicago.edu (Diane Westerfield)
Subject: Re: Earth/centauris

gonzalez@netcom.com (John Gonzalez) writes:
>I have a question for those in the know. Now, is Earth near Centauri
>space or what was once Centauri space? That's the impression I've gotten
>so far. If my impression was correct, did the Centauris know about the
>humans on Earth when they were less advanced, in terms of space
>technology? Why didn't the Centauris go to Earth and strip it clean? Or
>did we, being and industrial society, strip it clean already?

JMS said that by the time the Centauris discovered Earth, they were in
serious decline and didn't have the ability to invade the planet. So they
made peaceful contact and traded technology for resources. They wouldn't
trade us weapons during the Minbari war, however...

The Centauris invaded the Narn homeworld some time (a century? more?)
before discovering Earth. At that time they still had the power to enslave
the Narns and strip their world (to hear G'Kar talk, anyway). When they
pulled out they left a lot of technology, especially weapons, behind. This
formed the basis for the Narn's weaponry industry.

Diane Westerfield
wes5@quads.uchicago.edu

------------------------------

End of SF-LOVERS Digest
***********************

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Isn't Joshua Burnett Goldsmith one of the people that made Tiny Toons go off the air because the early internet hadn't learned how to properly control its horny?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
quantumfoam, can you find the first usage of 'mimbari?' tia

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Horizon Burning posted:

quantumfoam, can you find the first usage of 'mimbari?' tia

I want my loyal bucketheads to know that I looked into this and what I discovered will shock you. The word "minbar" appears on a number of what I can only assume are Al-Qaeda affiliated websites predating B5. Did JMS know about 9/11 and plant qlues in B5 or was he in on it?

Find out on the next Gribble Report.

If you hate cucks, click "like".

If you want to "shackle" yourself to old Rusty, smash that Subscribe.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

VinylonUnderground posted:

I want my loyal bucketheads to know that I looked into this and what I discovered will shock you. The word "minbar" appears on a number of what I can only assume are Al-Qaeda affiliated websites predating B5. Did JMS know about 9/11 and plant qlues in B5 or was he in on it?

Find out on the next Gribble Report.

If you hate cucks, click "like".

If you want to "shackle" yourself to old Rusty, smash that Subscribe.

:pwn:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think JMS certainly put a clue to something about the future into the show:

If only we had recognized his warning properly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think JMS certainly put a clue to something about the future into the show:

If only we had recognized his warning properly.

I've been saying for years that that has to be on purpose. There's no way you make a window design like that without knowing what you're doing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The episode aired in 1998. Do we know how early goatse.cx went online? I can believe the megadorks working on the show were among the first people to know about it.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've been saying for years that that has to be on purpose. There's no way you make a window design like that without knowing what you're doing.

It predates the goatman. Also, no ring.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

quantumfoam posted:

<old B5 reactions>

Yeah, that's the stuff. Nearly as good as a first watch reaction thread. Only worse because we can't chat with the reactors from back then the way we can with the live reactors here.

It's also amusing to see how many of the guesses were right, or nearly so.

mllaneza

Narsham posted:

Farmer Crack-rear end' point about the Minbari being partly responsible is well-taken, but it's interesting to think that Sinclair wasn't part of the crew for B4. I am wondering whether, between the sabotage and the obvious career (and possibly species) ending consequences of screwing up, no trained ambassador was willing to take on the task. It's very likely that the Minbari knew they needed to request Sinclair for B5, and the fact that B5 was co-funded gave them the leverage to do so. That would have set the precedent, although it seems possible that post-series Earth would have sent a separate ambassador.

"Hey boss, we opened this time capsule on the date set 1000 years ago. There's a message for you. By name. In Valen's handwriting..."

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

VinylonUnderground posted:

It predates the goatman. Also, no ring.

I believe every sentient race has a "goatman", it's one of those great mysteries of the universe, understanding it would drive you mad...

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
there's also that really weird furry symbol on the thirdspace artifact, isn't there?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Next thing you're going to tell me JMS ISN'T Merlin! :reject:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VinylonUnderground posted:

It predates the goatman. Also, no ring.

Not quite; The website was 1999, but the original image is from 1997ish and B5's staff were big about being on the early days of the internet.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite; The website was 1999, but the original image is from 1997ish and B5's staff were big about being on the early days of the internet.

That invites the question of who in set design was in the extreme penetration community in the mid 1990s. :thumbsdown:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

Next thing you're going to tell me JMS ISN'T Merlin! :reject:

Kosh is Merlin. JMS just wrote dialogue for him.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Everyone arguing about the goatse window and missing the even more obvious butt hole reference.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I'm probably not going to post up more 1994 Babylon 5 first reactions in here because I'm burning out extremely hard on my SFL Archives readthrough attempt and will be taking a break.
Everything I've posted about Babylon 5 in this thread has come from https://archive.org/details/SFLoversDigestArchive
Feel free to datamine the SFLoversDigestArchive for Babylon 5 content. You will need a 3rd party tool like notepad++ to read/open the files in the archive.

Digest\sf-lovers.v18a & 18b cover 1993 aka when Babylon 5 pilot THE GATHERING came out.
Digest\sf-lovers.v19a & 19b cover 1994 aka when Babylon 5 season 1 came out.
Digest\sf-lovers.v20a & 20b cover 1995 aka when Babylon 5 season 2 came out.
Digest\sf-lovers.v21a & 21b cover 1996 aka when Babylon 5 season 3 came out.
Digest\sf-lovers.v22a & 22b cover 1997 aka when Babylon 5 season 4 came out.
Digest\sf-lovers.v23 cover 1998 aka when Babylon 5 season 5 came out.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Thank you for your awesome work, was a blast reading through those!

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, that's the stuff. Nearly as good as a first watch reaction thread. Only worse because we can't chat with the reactors from back then the way we can with the live reactors here.
Well, as long as those live reactors don't melt down! :haw:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ayin posted:

Well, as long as those live reactors don't melt down! :haw:

You say that, but one thing I appreciated about B5 after watching a lot of TNG was how B5's fusion reactors were really drat stable compared to the -D's warp core that breached and risked blowing the ship up from pretty much drat near anything happening. The only comparable circumstance for B5 was that time someone stuck a bomb to the reactor!

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
One of the sweetest moments of my childhood was when Scotty freaked out and shut down the reactor because lithium had been replaced by dilithium.

My mother related to feeling old and obsolete. I related to be unwelcomed and unloved. It was, perhaps, the closest I have ever felt to my mother.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

jng2058 posted:

You say that, but one thing I appreciated about B5 after watching a lot of TNG was how B5's fusion reactors were really drat stable compared to the -D's warp core that breached and risked blowing the ship up from pretty much drat near anything happening. The only comparable circumstance for B5 was that time someone stuck a bomb to the reactor!

They don’t really go exploring in Babylon 5 though, and when they do, it’s just to the planet they’re orbiting, so there’s not as much novel danger.

But I will concede that consoles explode much less often on Babylon 5 when there’s an emergency or an attack, which seems like the way to go.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4