Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Pyroclastic posted:

I can't find anything matching this. Are you sure it was Lego knockoff? Were they actually Lego-like, or did you like swap monster parts?

Were you in the US then? Can you remember anything else about the brand or toy line?

America my whole life.And I definitely seem to recall them being Lego-like in how they connected.
But yeah. Ah well.

I wish there was, like, a single really comprehensive wikipedia just for toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

America my whole life.And I definitely seem to recall them being Lego-like in how they connected.
But yeah. Ah well.

Tyco covered a lot of themes back then, also made helicopters though I have no idea if they made a tongue-copter.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I have no idea what the name of them was, but I absolutely remember those weird tongue bits existing when I was a kid with lego, too.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Have you tried the white whale thread too? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895038

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

But yeah. Ah well.

Here's a Tyco block resource, if you want a to see if anything looks familiar - https://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycosuperblocks/
Bricker may help too - http://bricker.info/osets.html?brand=Tyco%20Super%20Blocks&limit=100

Do you remember if there were any mini figures and if so, what they looked like? Those are usually pretty unique.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
New 911 Turbo/Targa is up for VIP orders tomorrow. Anyone else not really feeling it? Same scale as the Mustang which was a Day 1 purchase for me but I think I’m sitting this one out. I’m not really sure what it is about that puts me off. To be fair, the Mustang is hard to beat.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

New 911 Turbo/Targa is up for VIP orders tomorrow. Anyone else not really feeling it? Same scale as the Mustang which was a Day 1 purchase for me but I think I’m sitting this one out. I’m not really sure what it is about that puts me off. To be fair, the Mustang is hard to beat.

Vip pre-sale in the US got cancelled and the promo got pulled as well.

None of the big cars do it for me. But I don't like the color or the windshield, mustang just looks better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Porsche is kind of special because of that wild new piece on the rear fender and will likely never show up in another set ever again. Year 2000 lego is back baby!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Scipiotik posted:

Vip pre-sale in the US got cancelled and the promo got pulled as well.

None of the big cars do it for me. But I don't like the color or the windshield, mustang just looks better.

According to the email and website the promo is cancelled but the VIP pre-sale is still on.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I want it - but I'm debating waiting till March to see if I can sync it up with that Amelia Earhart GWP (assuming the leak/rumor is true?) but feels like there's a good chance it will be out of stock by then, so who knows. I have enough sets on hand to still build that I don't need it asap. Also, just found out that the originally planned early purchase bonus isn't happening for NA so I guess that's one less reason to buy it right away too.

I think the white colour, while unique, is a bit weak. The Mustang is really hard to beat - customization, great colour, really different from previous creator cars.

e: beaten by my slow posting

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I don't really dig the design of the real thing. As a German I see them a lot, and there is a dealership near me with a whole lot of similar looking boring black cars... I can't tell them apart really, except for the one that's kinda like their excuse for a family car and the SUV. But I don't even know the names, Panamera is one I think.

Plus I guess for many people it just does not have the same legend factor as the Mustang, the Beetle or the Bus.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I was lukewarm on it as it got announced and sorta warmed up, got hyped and now I took another look and I’m lukewarm again lol. The GWP is lame too. I guess it feels a tad blocky? I’ll probably be hyped up again by midnight and get it though. I’m getting the minifig scale one as well so maybe the pull is having a small and a big car side by side.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

According to the email and website the promo is cancelled but the VIP pre-sale is still on.

I got bad info! Still a bummer for those who wanted it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I think the Porsche is great, but not on the level of the Mustang. The 'Stang nailed the shaping just a bit more and its design was just really progressive and brilliant. Some of the Porsche is just copied right over from that (steering, windscreen) so it feels less fresh, and the color (although appropriate) is less interesting too. It's just a little harder to get excited about. Oh, and I think being able to rebuild it into the Targa is genius, but I'm not sold on the execution of the Targa. Its rear deck in particular is much less clean than the Turbo.

Also, I'm enjoying how the Fiat isn't even in this conversation, despite being more recent than the Mustang.

Also also, Promobricks brings us a lot more details of the 2021 Speed Champions lineup:

76900 Koenigsegg Jesko
76901 Toyota GR Supra
76902 McLaren Elva
76903 Chevrolet Corvette C8-R & 1968 Chevrolet Corvette C3
76904 Mopar Dodge/SRT Top Fuel Dragster & 1970 Dodge Challenger
76905 ???

If the C3 isn't dark red then what's even the point of anything?

I could not possibly care less about a dragster but the '70 Challenger is a must-have, too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Hopper posted:

Plus I guess for many people it just does not have the same legend factor as the Mustang, the Beetle or the Bus.

Are you joking? A Porsche 911 is more far iconic to more far people than the Mustang, easily. Mustangs aren't even really sold outside the US except in tiny numbers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a reason the 911 today still looks like a 911 from the 70's, people loving love that that body shape (and Porsche still loves rear mounting engines).

It's at least as legendary as the Mustang.

That white color can gently caress right off though. It should be bright red.. but I get why lego didn't want another bright red creator expert car.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Did the Porsche ever look this cool tho?

Like your mom could drive that then give it to your older brother as a beater until he gets his own car then that baby is yours in all its sensible Glory.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Carbohydrates posted:

Also also, Promobricks brings us a lot more details of the 2021 Speed Champions lineup:

76900 Koenigsegg Jesko
76901 Toyota GR Supra
76902 McLaren Elva
76904 Mopar Dodge/SRT Top Fuel Dragster & 1970 Dodge Challenger
76905 ???

I could not possibly care less about a dragster but the '70 Challenger is a must-have, too.

Oh this is a pretty good list imo. I don’t care about the dragster either, but everything else sounds cool. I’m the weirdo that likes the bigger SC models too. Looking forward to these a lot.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

drgitlin posted:

Are you joking? A Porsche 911 is more far iconic to more far people than the Mustang, easily. Mustangs aren't even really sold outside the US except in tiny numbers.

Okay looks like I am wrong then. Maybe my perception is different because in Germany and especially Munich you see those cars every day (not exactly 911s but Porsches) vs Mustangs which are rare.
And for the US it is likely the other way around.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Huh. http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

quote:

Prevention Methods:
2. Keep your most prized collector pieces out of rooms with fluorescent lighting.
My old place had fluorescent lights in the kitchen, and most of my collection lived for a couple years on the kitchen table. Sounds like they're definitely a contributing factor.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Carbohydrates posted:

I thought the C7 ZR1 looked pretty bad which I guess is because it's a $50 Technic set. If you give me a more expensive Technic or Lego Corvette of just about any generation I'll probably buy it. Possibly color dependent.

Edit: I didn't realize that said C8-R. Yes I will absolutely buy any year Corvette with Le Mans livery

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 15, 2021

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Hopper posted:

Okay looks like I am wrong then. Maybe my perception is different because in Germany and especially Munich you see those cars every day (not exactly 911s but Porsches) vs Mustangs which are rare.
And for the US it is likely the other way around.

Munich is by far the German city with the most fancy cars on display at any given time so your perception may be a little skewed :v:

I see a lot of Cayennes or whatever the SUV abomination Porsches are in Berlin though.

(Although yesterday a black sportsy Porsche parked outside my home lol)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Carbohydrates posted:

Also also, Promobricks brings us a lot more details of the 2021 Speed Champions lineup
Following up on this, I had the bright idea to translate and read the article this time around. All of these are coming in June.

76900 Koenigsegg Jesko
19.99 euros
280 pcs
white with lime and black

76901 Toyota GR Supra
19.99 euros
299 pcs
yellow

76902 McLaren Elva
19.99 euros
263 pcs
color not listed, but almost certainly blue - it's the iconic color for the car, and that's the color they did the January polybag.

39.99 euros
512 pcs
No color listed for the C8-R, but the C3 is supposedly red.

76904 Mopar Dodge / SRT Top Fuel Dragster & 1970 Dodge Challenger
59.99 euros
627 pcs (worst ppp of the lot. Guess that Dodge licensing is expensive)
No color listed for the dragster, but the Challenger is supposedly purple.

So hey, a purple 1970 Challenger? Dang, I wish I had thought of that! Now I'm extremely excited about an official LEGO 8 stud-wide one to stick next to my 6. It's also the only car with an interesting color so far. I'm always looking to get 35729 in new colors, and it already comes in white, yellow, blue, and red (not that there's any guarantee this is the one they'll use on every car).

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 15, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Carbohydrates posted:

So hey, a purple 1970 Challenger?

Someone’s an Archer fan.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Carbohydrates posted:

39.99 euros
512 pcs
No color listed for the C8-R, but the C3 is supposedly red.

I assume it'll be yellow with silver or silver with yellow. But if the new 911 and the Mustang were both ~1500 pieces and these are 500, I'm thinking they won't be something I'll care about having on display.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Both of my sisters decided they wanted a centaur after I showed them, so using the excuse of feeling those out for them I decided to try to complete the rest of the set. Couldn't feel the Space Police, Alien and Beekeeper but found the rest fairly easily, and luckily two more centaurs.

Darth going back to his childhood roots.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

davebo posted:

I assume it'll be yellow with silver or silver with yellow. But if the new 911 and the Mustang were both ~1500 pieces and these are 500, I'm thinking they won't be something I'll care about having on display.
They'll be like these two, a pair of 8-wide cars. Definitely not on the Creator Expert level of scale display model.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On the Spring Lantern Festival set, both halves build up this intricate pattern with newer pieces and colors, and then the next step after this covers it the whole bottom with grey plates. Is this just the designer being cute? The rear of the pic just uses standard bricks to accomplish the same thing.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yeah, pretty much. I think this kind of thing was discussed in the thread not too long ago. The interior structure of a lot of sets often use all sorts of weird parts and colours and a lot of it is the designer being whimsical. I think it's cool, you can get some unusual parts and colours that way, and it certainly helps with making the instructions easier to read!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, this one just caught my eye because I don’t think those aqua(?) blue and coral tiles have any function, you could remove them and it wouldn’t affect the build. So true bonus pieces.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I think this kind of thing was discussed in the thread not too long ago. The interior structure of a lot of sets often use all sorts of weird parts and colours and a lot of it is the designer being whimsical. I think it's cool, you can get some unusual parts and colours that way, and it certainly helps with making the instructions easier to read!

That's still odd unless the tiles actually serve some sort of function. it's not unusual for Lego to spice up the unseen parts of sets with shapes and colors but that just seems like a waste of parts.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

Here you go!

yellow amp
white amp
"Blox" amp

As for how to order, typically you'd head over to bricklink.com and make a wishlist of whatever parts you need. Ordering through BL is kind of a whole topic that I'll leave to someone better than me at explaining it. I'll save you some time, though: here's a wishlist with the pieces for all three. Download and then upload this to Bricklink and order, or modify as desired.

edit: I didn't include the little black one because it's kind of weak compared to the others.
Ahh thank you! Ordered the bricks, excited to build these lil fellas

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know nothing of lego internals so I don't know how many bricks they actually keep in storage, but I don't think they're a just in time company either. If some product line with a ton of light blue and orange retired and they had unsold stock it will cost them nothing to include those weird colors in sets. It actually saves them money because they don't have to allocate bricks in the "right" color and can purge inventory.

They also toss in weird colors to make instructions easier to read, which probably isn't the case here but is worth noting.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We need a lego volvo.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Creator 240 Wagon.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

they made a full size XC90 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lerNsB17IDE

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Milk that F&F license and give us a civic with exchangeable wide body kit, 3 different rear spoilers, tinted windows, an extra aftermarket hood and Neons.

Seriously, if they did 2 or 3 different standard cars the size of the creator cars and offered different tuning kits with printed decals etc. that would be awesome.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I just read that Hasbro won't be making more Cara Dune figures. So if you want a minifig of her you might want to get that AT-ST set soon.

Too bad Carano is a poo poo head, the character was fun.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Carbohydrates posted:

They'll be like these two, a pair of 8-wide cars. Definitely not on the Creator Expert level of scale display model.

I guess at this price point these are targeted at kids who will actually enjoy playing with the cars after they build them, which certainly makes a 1968-82 Corvette generation an odd choice. Cool-looking cars like the C8-R makes sense though. Interested to see what they look like but I have a feeling I won't be getting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I could care less about the C8, but I’m very interested in a C3. Curious to see how they achieve that shape.