Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
We can not loving find the second boss on our server. There's at least 8 of us who have scoured the land. Is it in the Black Forest? Could it be on another land mass? Our layout is weird with meadows in the center, mountains to the South, but Forest all around it like a big U except the NW area is more meadows jutting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Read every red-runed stone you come across. Some of them put it on your minimap.

Edit: or it might be the one at the spawn point? I'm not sure since I'm not the one that sorted the boss fights out on our server.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

We can not loving find the second boss on our server. There's at least 8 of us who have scoured the land. Is it in the Black Forest? Could it be on another land mass? Our layout is weird with meadows in the center, mountains to the South, but Forest all around it like a big U except the NW area is more meadows jutting out.

Rune stones in crypts in the black forest will put a marker on your map. You may have to zoom out as ours was really far away.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The second boss is noted through red runed stones inside Skele Crypts.

e:fb

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sometimes I like to look at my time played, how much I've discovered of the map, then zoom out

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

thark posted:

I've had some swamp areas with no crypts and some with plenty. Also crypts where I pulled out like 100+ iron (slime and chests combined) and some that were three rooms full stop. Probably most hilarous was a teeny island literally just 10x10 feet of swamp with a crypt on it. Also as said in a previous post I sailed around for like 2-3 hours before finding a second swamp after the first one I found had zero crypts.

Yup I'm on in my friend's world right now and he has two crypts side by side, we just cleared one out and came out of it with about 120 scrap so that's actually not a bad ROI. We're gonna craft another boat to bring back two loads at once lol. It doesn't seem so bad to just load up a boat with 4 stacks and sail it back to base, really.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
So, It has fallen onto me to care for the dedicated server in my friend group and…

…it's a bit poo poo, isn't it?

My server is at a load of 1.6 with nobody connected because four threads, one for each core, are apparently doing this ad infinitum:

code:
futex(0x7f35a01a8880, FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE, 314101962, NULL) = 0
futex(0x7f35a01a8880, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 1) = 1
nanosleep({tv_sec=0, tv_nsec=0}, NULL)  = 0
futex(0x7f35a01a8880, FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE, 314102008, NULL) = 0
futex(0x7f35a01a8880, FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE, 314102010, NULL) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
If I remember my syscalls correctly, that's an endless loop of sleeping for 0 nanoseconds, then trying to acquire a lock. That's all those threads are doing all day long.

Also, you'd think that -port 2456 would make it listen on port 2456, but that's actually not the case. It listens on 2457 instead. Also, you'd think that clients would use this to communicate, but apparently it's only used to set up peer to peer connections? What the hell, we are running dedicated servers for the games we play because it's a reliable way for us to play together without all the weird p2p crap that ruins games for everyone if one of us has bad internet.

Also, having to send SIGINT instead of the standard SIGTERM for shutting down is annoying.

I've sent detailed bug reports but I wonder if anyone will ever get to read them…

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

ClassH posted:

Rune stones in crypts in the black forest will put a marker on your map. You may have to zoom out as ours was really far away.

Hmm I've not seen any runes inside crypts. The burial grounds? Is it not possible to stumble across the actual boss spawn?

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

KingKapalone posted:

Hmm I've not seen any runes inside crypts. The burial grounds? Is it not possible to stumble across the actual boss spawn?

there's red runestones in both crypts and burial chambers but crypt ones show you where boss 3 is, while the chambers have the location of 2. you can try to find the altars that summon the bosses on your own but it'll be much easier if you already have their location on your map.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

KingKapalone posted:

It is, but I'm not sure there's multiple around like for the first boss (the 2nd boss arena is larger). You might have gotten unlucky with the burial grounds, it seems about 50/50 to have the rune tablet or not anecdotally

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Dackel posted:

It is, but I'm not sure there's multiple around like for the first boss (the 2nd boss arena is larger). You might have gotten unlucky with the burial grounds, it seems about 50/50 to have the rune tablet or not anecdotally

you can have more than one elder altar for sure.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Muscle Wizard posted:

you can have more than one elder altar for sure.

Fair enough. It was a bit comical how the starter continent we had seemed to pop up 1st boss altars whichever direction we went

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The dedicated server is definitely beta grade. It's chewing up an entire core on my NUC even with no one playing, I just didn't care enough to dig and figure out why.

I also haven't been able to get it to show up in the server list, but I think steam is just bad at handling servers on your own network (I see the query traffic passing through my firewall) so we have to connect by the LAN ip. Which I understand, hitting a public address just to turn around and come back through the firewall is pretty stupid to try.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Just a tip, the copper deposits are a lot bigger than you think they are and extend for quite a ways underground. If you're not leaving a massive crater in the ground at each deposit site, you're probably leaving a poo poo ton of copper behind.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You can configure your firewall to NAT reflect internal packets addressed to your public IP to where they would get NATed. I have configured my firewall this way but of course it only works if the server actually uses those ports, which it does not.

Apparently it also does some other really weird poo poo because my normal approach of reverse proxying everything behind one of my domains doesn't work with this game. And it seems game developers have never heard of DNS either. It's just over 40 year technology foundational to the Internet, nbd if you've never heard of it.

I wonder what happens if someone tries to connect via ipv6…

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

KingKapalone posted:

In Black Forest, the burial mounds will sometimes have a square rune, which marks the Boss. Just keep plumbing those instances, and you should find one.

You don’t want to try stumbling on it; this game works is huge. (But if you do, it’s 4 pillars surrounding a strobe Dias with an offering fire)

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
How much will random enemies attack your base if left to their own devices? I've caught random greylings occasionally beating up a work bench but I don't know how far they would go.

Do enemies try to break your poo poo if you're offline/far away or does the area not get simulated or whatever if there aren't any players actively in that region?

Am I going to regret trying to set up a forward base in the middle of the Black Forest?

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Not sure if this has been posted yet but you can build fires entirely indoors, not using any earth, by placing them on Log Beam parts:

It's making my treehouse build a lot more viable!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Scoss posted:

How much will random enemies attack your base if left to their own devices? I've caught random greylings occasionally beating up a work bench but I don't know how far they would go.

Do enemies try to break your poo poo if you're offline/far away or does the area not get simulated or whatever if there aren't any players actively in that region?

Am I going to regret trying to set up a forward base in the middle of the Black Forest?

Afaik the game does not spawn monsters where a player is not present. We have bases all over and have never encountered damage while we're away.

The game spawns greydwarves at night in the black forest if a player is there. But it also does so in meadows as well, where no similar mobs are present during the day.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
I'm sure this journey will go totally fine and not be any kind of struggle. (spoiler: it was)

I actually kind of love that handcarts clearly get more difficult to pull the heavier the load. At 3000+, the angle of incline you can get it up is ... not much.

Also, the silver sword takes a lot silver to upgrade jesus christ. I have the armor maxed out (except there didn't seem to be a helmet so I'm guessing there's a material or a drop I've missed) but after that trip I think I'll forego full weapon upgrades.

Also also, that's twice now the goddamn ground shaking trolls have spawned inside my perimeter and wrecked half my building before I could react goddamit.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Why the gently caress does all traffic on my dedicated server consist of hundreds of 53B incoming packets being replied to with a 149B packet each, while the only large traffic is exchanged with 155.133.252.54, an IP owned by Valve?

There are 6 players (as far as I can tell) online and they aren't talking to the server at all.

:psyduck:

I guess that explains why it sometimes takes over 5 seconds to open a door despite all of us being in yurop with <30ms to the server.

:psyduck:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

thark posted:

I'm sure this journey will go totally fine and not be any kind of struggle. (spoiler: it was)

I actually kind of love that handcarts clearly get more difficult to pull the heavier the load. At 3000+, the angle of incline you can get it up is ... not much.

Also, the silver sword takes a lot silver to upgrade jesus christ. I have the armor maxed out (except there didn't seem to be a helmet so I'm guessing there's a material or a drop I've missed) but after that trip I think I'll forego full weapon upgrades.

Also also, that's twice now the goddamn ground shaking trolls have spawned inside my perimeter and wrecked half my building before I could react goddamit.

The helmet requires 2 drake trophies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A completely idle server still uses 1 kbps (1-5 packets a second) just chatting with the valve servers so keep that in mind too!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

This is a continuous 1Mbit/s, Rx and Tx both.

I have no idea what kind of weird poo poo they are doing here. It's evidently actually doing some dumb p2p poo poo when the server is sitting on a 1Gbps pipe. Just utterly baffling.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
A million more sales in 5 days

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
So what are the odds the dev completely abandons this game because of the overnight success? This is their first game right?

I’m like 50:50, on one hand they have a lot of very interested people and this could be an all-time game in the genre if they put work into it. On the other hand I’m not sure that work pays off unless they make a push for a 1.0 and drop DLCs

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fellis posted:

So what are the odds the dev completely abandons this game because of the overnight success? This is their first game right?

I’m like 50:50, on one hand they have a lot of very interested people and this could be an all-time game in the genre if they put work into it. On the other hand I’m not sure that work pays off unless they make a push for a 1.0 and drop DLCs

Why on earth would they abandon it? They've just sold 2 million copies in what, a week? The game has massive hype everywhere, the gaming sites are full of articles on it, word of mouth is insane. They'd be absolutely nuts to abandon a captive audience like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They just made 40 million dollars gross, they are now a Real Studio and once the shock wears off they're probably going to go on a hiring spree.

Their biggest challenge is rolling out changes before opinion turns on them, this thread alone has developed a good amount of complaints the past few days.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Yea I meant burial grounds. You probably could but it's a big rear end map.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

First two rooms of a crypt. First one had 1 chest with iron, second room had 3.

Fellis posted:

Haha, what? This is one hell of a take

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The biggest problem the devs face now is probably producing content and patches at a rate that keeps enough of the player base content, which is tough when you're a small indie developer. The next biome is in the game, but needs to be populated and refined, so hopefully the next major patch wont be too far off.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

One problem we've faced is more and more desync issues. Stone blocks outright disappearing, some things invisible for others and visible for others, disappearing items, teleporting enemies.. the more our world grows, the more these issues increase. It might be simply due to the fact that there is so much stuff lying around in the world and/or terraforming? It would probably be a good idea to occasionally clear the world of random stuff thrown away or allow us to destroy items.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Tell me about.... forward operation bases. Outposts. How much do you build them up? Where do you put them? I had an idea to build a quick little bed and bench hut in Black Forest. Didn't realize it'd be surrounded by 10-15 graydwarves every time I went to it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Poor wording, I don't mean just drop the game, I just mean they don't keep up with it and let it go or people get frustrated and stop playing. Phasmaphobia had success on a smaller scale this summer and there has been like one bugfix patch and no additional content or major updates in 6 months and I definitely regret buying that poo poo game cause my friends got me hyped for it.

I've already got my $20 out of Valheim so I don't really care either way. It just has a lot of potential and eventually more and more people are gonna hit the brick wall of progression and stop playing. Already everyone on my server is just using login/logout tricks to move stuff around and I've lost some interest in playing with them and it's been like... a week?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Has anyone been able to get the console commands to work on a dedicated server? I put my steam id# in the admin file, and if i try it says cheats enabled, but they dont work (and typing help still has the smaller list of commands).
I really want to use the remove drops command and purge without driving a boat into the ocean and tossing stuff overboard.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jinnigan posted:

Tell me about.... forward operation bases. Outposts. How much do you build them up? Where do you put them? I had an idea to build a quick little bed and bench hut in Black Forest. Didn't realize it'd be surrounded by 10-15 graydwarves every time I went to it.

We put ours near whichever biome we're exploring next, and deal with the frequent monster attacks.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jinnigan posted:

You will need to build bigger bases to process ores as you progress around the world, however for anything that isn't a processing base I would just throw down a portal and a workbench and dig a deep trench around it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Just had my first rainstorm and I have to say, this game has probably the prettiest weather efects I've seen in a while.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jinnigan posted:

I usually throw up a small shack with a bed and a couple of chests, and set up a workbench and a campfire underneath an outer roof outside. This should give the shack a comfort rating of about 4, which is enough for small excursions. If you are just exploring, and don't plan on coming back, you can always just convert some random ruined shack to a shelter for the night.

As for where to put them... I usually prioritize meadows close to biomes I'm interested in exploring, or areas close to bosses. Usually also throw up a portal if it's far enough away from main base.

Fellis posted:

Poor wording, I don't mean just drop the game, I just mean they don't keep up with it and let it go or people get frustrated and stop playing. Phasmaphobia had success on a smaller scale this summer and there has been like one bugfix patch and no additional content or major updates in 6 months and I definitely regret buying that poo poo game cause my friends got me hyped for it.

I've already got my $20 out of Valheim so I don't really care either way. It just has a lot of potential and eventually more and more people are gonna hit the brick wall of progression and stop playing. Already everyone on my server is just using login/logout tricks to move stuff around and I've lost some interest in playing with them and it's been like... a week?
Imo, the devs have shown themselves to be insanely competent and capable with this release, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be industry veterans. Churning out a release like this in a couple of years with such a small team is no small feat. I have no doubts they are going to continue taking this project serious going forward.

As for the Phasmaphobia example, IIRC that was a one-person team, which often means slow and unpredictable dev cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jinnigan posted:

Our black forest copper mining operation ended up becoming our main stronghold as it turned out to be near a swamp and a decent sized mountain biome.

Normally an outpost for us is the material for portals and enough wood for a workbench and a log wall ring and door. That seems to hold up just fine to any greydwarf problems. A forward base we set up near a distant boss became a major keep because it was close to a bunch of plains biomes. Generally they start small and turn into major things depending on the need and proximity to various biomes.