Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I love that even the kid looks like yeltsin after a deep breakfast of vodka and caviar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

oh no absolutely not, this was started by baz luhrmann in 1996 with romeo + juliet
Oh yeah...that movie. I guess I had erased it from my mind.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Romeo Plus Juliet is set in the modern era though

It's like MTV's Carmen: The Hip-Hopera

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Since we're talking about commercials and trailers, this one got me all kinds of excited when I saw it way back in 2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDtZ34lU8A

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVq7XNV7K0w

The best trailer in Nintendos best e3 press event. Period. Helps that the game was Bitchin as well.

https://youtu.be/UUNGEU2vCu8

Sequel to one of my favorite games of all time. Man E3 2010 was loving great.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Romeo + Juliet is dope

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

my grade 10 english class had to watch Romeo + Juliet in class for some reason. Honestly I think it was because there were about 40 of us in class and it was impossible to teach. big use of Talk Show Host by Radiohead iirc.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It came out the year we were reading it in middle school and our class watch both it and the 60s version. RplusJ is aight, a bit cringe at times, but points for inventiveness and chemistry.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Scary to think that it took less than a year for John Leguizamo to go from Romeo and Juliet to The Pest

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wonder when Shakespeare adaptations will come back into vogue. "Hamlet but with like, uh, social media or something" practically greenlights itself.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Bloodvertisement and naming your son Turok was the best marketing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Remembering there was that Roland Emmerich historical action movie about the real author of Shakespeare's plays or something like that...

Edit oh hey radiohead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBmnkk0QW3Q

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The veracity of Shakespeare's authorship is sincerely one of the dumbest conspiracy theories that somehow still exists in the public consciousness, it would be like if hundreds of years from now there was honest academic debate about Obama's birth certificate.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Namnesor posted:

I'll see your announcement trailer and raise you the Bartholomew trailer

Lol I mentioned in that very post that I do not like the bartholomew trailer.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMQFh8vJGDA

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Reveal Trailer, E3 2003, released online between May 14-16 2003.

Bear with me here ( or TLDR :blastu: ), I'm going to try a Veegy-esque deep dive back into my (depressed teen) consciousness in 2003. What was going on in 2003? Let's see, spring of 2003 would've been somewhere into my first year at college...sort of bumming around through classes with no major, no goals, age 19, with my first job at the campus bookstore. I'd had a PS2 for a few years, I'd played most of the big titles including SSX, DMC, GTA3, Zone of the Enders+MGS2 demo, and MGS2 Sons of Liberty, which I had pretty much followed obsessively for years before it came out, every downloadable .wmv trailer (over a 56k modem) hyping me up more and more until the game released and the famous switcheroo happened. I remember loving MGS2 but also being weirdly disappointed by it at the same time, it was a very cold game, perhaps befitting the political moment of the time, and it went somewhat over my teen-aged head. Years later I would end up replaying it and appreciating its impact for very different reasons than the ones which had me hyped up about it originally. A incredible videogame, no doubt, one that's aged quite gracefully, but I'd been left wanting something different at the time.

The Splinter Cell series was sort of on the rise back then, and many people on forums seemed to pine (through their relatively new broadband connections) for a follow-up to MGS2 while also being a bit wary of what kind of tricks Kojima might pull on them. Some of my friends scattered to the wind and decided MGS was old hat, that other more grounded stealth games were the real prize. MGS2 might've aged well over the last 2 decades, but in 2003 it already had a bit of a backlash forming. When there was behind the scenes confirmation of a third game in development the press didn't really go buck wild in the same way as they had a few years earlier with Solid Snake's monumental New York City opening salvo. So there we were, bigger things were in the offing, new videogame media darlings like God of War, and Vice City. Oh, and, just as life was going on 'normally' all around us, despite enormous worldwide protests, the US had invaded Iraq 2 months earlier. No biggie. I was a very disillusioned person at that time, I wasn't very excited about anything. New Matrix movies, new girlfriends, new Radiohead albums, meh life just went on in its anesthetized fashion, a perpetual motion machine of in your face culture.

So anyways, E3 had come along –Christmas in May–, it was still a big event back then, this was before youtube and dedicated streaming platforms really, I mean I guess there were a few janky ways to stream press conferences from Apple/MS events or whatever, but I think this was before dedicated platform holders Sony/MS/Ninty E3 conferences were streamed out to the public, still Konami had one that was accessible through game websites. Game critics would often do their write ups of announcement live reactions and then post links to downloadable trailers, which is what I usually watched after the fact, but for 2003 I actually watched the show through one of the game websites, maybe over Real Media Player or something. I didn't have a Gamecube at the time so you can imagine my mildly sour reaction to the follow-up to MGS2 being Konami's announcement of an MGS remake for a platform I didn't own early on in the conference. Where was MGS3? Where was the continuation to the truncated narrative of MGS2? I must admit, I was kinda with the crew who wanted to play as Snake. I knew it was in development but why weren't they talking about it?

Well, a little less than an hour into Konami's press conference Kojima got up there and just dropped the loving bomb on me. I was simply not prepared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAyy8vQaTRY

Trees. 'A Hideo Kojima Game'. Falling man. 'TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION'. Thumpin rear end beats.

So it felt like a joke at first, in the first 60 seconds, like a Kojima brand tacky placeholder that was going to tell us 'MGS3 is on the way!' and then fade to black at any moment...but then things started to morph around and get weird. What the gently caress was going on? Solid Snake is...in the 1960s...and he's eating a raw fish? The tone is all wrong. Is this on a PS2? How is this on a PS2, the console well-known at that juncture for being sort of underpowered. Look at the trees and the grass! Is this for real? How do you even make a stealth game out of this?

'ONLY THE SNAKE IS THE TRUE HERO'

Moment to moment I was literally getting sweaty watching this trailer, the reveals were happening so fast, the technology and execution was so amazing, so much was being shown...and yet everything felt more mysterious than ever. If anything, I had questions. The trailer seemed almost paradoxical, and despite being 12 minutes long and showing a ton of gameplay it still felt absolutely opaque, no answers on offer, just mystery ans spectacle. This was almost the opposite of the MGS2 trailers which spent a lot of time showing cutscenes and building tension with dialogue, this thing was going into a sort of procedural depth for how a single encounter might play out. It didn't even show any characters from the eventual game! One of the reasons MGS3 would end up feeling bigger than any previous game in the series was that most of the story was kept under wraps, and what was actually there takes place mostly on the back end after you've gone through a huge amount of jungle gameplay. This entire trailer was just 'Snake' (which I assumed was not Snake)...loving around in the jungle. And it was amazing!

'BATTLE OF IDEOLOGIES. BATTLE OF INSTINCTS. BATTLE OF REPTILES.'

All the new stuff being shown felt completely alien with respect to the series. Camouflage, hunting, eating, climbing trees, being bitten by cobras, crawling through mossy logs. So much happening at every given second. 1/3 of the way through the trailer shifts gears to a silent, slow, lengthy, cat and mouse game between Snake and a troupe of heavily armed trackers, demonstrating all the new tactics of survival espionage and their complimentary gameplay mechanics, all with chill beats playing. Snake hangs from a treebranch with one arm and caps enemies with his pistol using the other in first-person, then performs gymnastic moves to haul himself back up onto the branch! He hides in logs and against muddy embankments in the rain and is nearly invisible. The tension of the music begins to ramp up as the hunters crest a slope with some mean rear end looking dogs. The beats, man, the loving beats! Eventually Snake engages in an all-out firefight with a squad of shotgun wielding reinforcements on a densely forested hill, in what might be the most amount of pure gunfire the series had ever shown.

'TELL ME THE RELEASE DATE!' ... 'THE YEAR 2004...'

The smoke effects looked simply awesome, the blood drifting in the water, all the little details, leaves falling, the way grass folded under the camera in first-person, gunfire tracing its path underwater, fog hanging over a moon-lit pier that Snake silently swims toward in silence, eventually unloading through the floorboards and ending in huge screenwide explosions, diving into water one moment and then treading water while firing a rifle one-handed from the surface. Loud to quiet. Quiet to loud. Ambient to jamming beats. Flotsam and dead fish sinking in the water. The credit reel:

'Shinkawa Yoji. Harry Gregson-Williams. Kyle Cooper. Hideo Kojima.'

Silence. Can I breathe yet? A small cinematic vignette plays near the end, a piece of Koji-brand humor there reminding us that even Kojima's trailers have easter-eggs...and then in rolls the Metal Gear Solid 2 theme music out of nowhere! Snake fighting dudes near a waterfall, particles everywhere; Snake running down a river from a pack of hunting dogs and diving dramatically over the falls; Snake fighting through swamps at night as flares go off; almost endless crescendo... massive amounts of gunfire at the camera in front of burning jungle background. Out of ammo. Exhale.

'METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER'

Weird rear end title. The crowd was absolutely silent until they knew it was completely over (there's still a little easter-egg after all that), until the actual legalese backgrounds, etc, and then just huge applause. Even the presenter that went on after Kojima admitted it would be hard to follow that act. It might just have been the most 'Snake' anyone had ever seen, and he didn't even do any talking! In truth, other trailers for the game would emerge later on before release that would clarify game mechanics and locations, introduce characters, make things feel even weirder, more sci-fi, more James Bond, but this first trailer held my attention in a way I had never experienced with a game announcement. It was all so...much. 12 minutes of pure flex. Even still, a lot of the trailer wasn't even in the game in the form shown here: the render of Solid Snake was an obvious ruse; he was later replaced with a bearded character model which many suspected was Big Boss even though he had no eye patch. Then again, it was just about the most incredible vertical slice of a game I'd ever seen in non-playable form. Waiting a year for MGS3 was torture (notably not the Guantanamo kind), and life only got weirder in the world on the way, but this game's story really made an impact on me for years. And then the wait for the Subsistence re-release in 2005, 3D camera, included remasters of MG1/MG2 on disc, and Metal Gear Online! The best just kept getting better for years afterward, and that E3 trailer was where it started. Best trailer.

drat, forgot how much that trailer owned. The theories from the other trailers too! Is it s vr mission? Is it time travel?

I liked the casting sides that leaked too that no one believed cos one of the discrips was " man who shoots bees from his hands" and the internet of the time was like "bees!? FAKE" :allears:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Always thought this trailer ruled. I used to have an animated av of the dude getting his head smooshed but a but a bunch of people hated having to look at it, so I changed it lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3gYwjLWjs8

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

there's a free game called We Were Here that i just played a bit with a buddy of mine that is super unique (from anything i've played in my limited co-op puzzle game experience) that i am really enjoying.

for the uninitiated, two players are in separate sections of some castle of sorts. person A guides person B through a series of mazes with resources available to A supported by hints shown to person B.

it feels like something you could finish in a single sitting, but it's after 3am here and we decided to call it quits for the night. worth checking out for anyone looking for a cool little puzzle game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

It came out the year we were reading it in middle school and our class watch both it and the 60s version.

We did the same thing! (Except a decade later)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I wonder when Shakespeare adaptations will come back into vogue. "Hamlet but with like, uh, social media or something" practically greenlights itself.

The Hollow Crown series BBC did a few years back was excellent. They were all straight adaptations though, no modernisation.

Ralph Fiennes did a good modern adaptation of Coriolanus back in 2011, that's worth a watch.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm guessing Ireland gets the BBC? So did Holland. And I'm glad it did cause there was a lot of great programming. I'd be a different person without it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

It came out the year we were reading it in middle school and our class watch both it and the 60s version. RplusJ is aight, a bit cringe at times, but points for inventiveness and chemistry.

The older version has some bare juliet boobs and what a surprise that was in class. Somewhere along the line we also ended up watching the Branagh Hamlet and at least one other, and I think that same class went to see a performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream where all the scenery was beds. That one actually kind of ruled.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rinkles posted:

I'm guessing Ireland gets the BBC? So did Holland. And I'm glad it did cause there was a lot of great programming. I'd be a different person without it.

Shame that cant be said of the BBC nowadays

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

exquisite tea posted:

The veracity of Shakespeare's authorship is sincerely one of the dumbest conspiracy theories that somehow still exists in the public consciousness, it would be like if hundreds of years from now there was honest academic debate about Obama's birth certificate.

I think most serious Academics of Shakespeare think it’s bunk. I know my University prof who specialized in Shakespeare did not take that seriously at all. It’s a theory taken up by people who like to believe dumb poo poo, just like Obama birther people.

Fun class, prof was huge into Shakespeare but was so enthusiastic that it rubbed off.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I’m still salty that this game never came out this would have been 1995 or so, I think it was on the CD for Starfleet Academy or Fallout or something. I miss digging around on CDs for artwork and trailers and music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBx-kqrm_zg

The Fallout 3 teaser from 2007 was mind blowing and still holds up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPt08UYmyMo

Not a trailer, but a hilarious commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zugDlPnQ8UM

People are right about the original Mad World trailer for Gears of War being a classic, but I haven’t seen the classic parody mentioned yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gk_3NuiX2M

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Someone posted the Halo 3 diorama trailer, but for my mind the original announcement trailer was the definitive Halo 3 trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Ezd2FqxAU

One particular thing about that was it was one of the first (if not THE first) trailers released in 5.1 surround, Microsoft put it up in WMV with a 5.1 track and playing it back on an actual 5.1 surround system was incredible. You could hear the covenant ships fly from behind past you. It was one of my show-off demo surround sound clips for a while.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The battletanx trailer reminded me of the actual greatest video game commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K783SDTBKmg

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheCenturion posted:

Not a trailer, but a hilarious commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zugDlPnQ8UM

I think I broke my brain playing this and several Army Man 3D0 games.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Always loved this commercial, wish they would remake/remaster the game..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCNKX_NTfs

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

TheCenturion posted:

People are right about the original Mad World trailer for Gears of War being a classic, but I haven’t seen the classic parody mentioned yet:

I miss Bad Company. If I remember right Front Mission 4 and Bad Company both had some Treasure Of The Sierra Madre vibes and I loved them for it. Now don't blame a guy for conflating timelines here but Three Kings woulda been around then too and oh cheez I really like that story.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

They already did a modern Hamlet with Ethan Hawke

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

They already did a modern Hamlet with Ethan Hawke

The modern one where Hamlet wanders through a Blockbuster Video?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

boz posted:

Always loved this commercial, wish they would remake/remaster the game..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCNKX_NTfs

That was a very good game, the Xbox one and the series x apparently do a good enough job upscaling it etc., that it doesn’t really need one.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

The modern one where Hamlet wanders through a Blockbuster Video?

Modern in the sense that R+J was modern, you contrarian doofus

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/15/22279600/six-days-in-fallujah-interview-iraq-war-politics

Six Days in Fallujah ‘not trying to make a political commentary,’ creator says

:blastu:

quote:

"I have two concerns with including phosphorus as a weapon. Number one is that it’s not a part of the stories that these guys told us, so I don’t have an authentic, factual basis on which to tell that. That’s most important. Number two is, I don’t want sensational types of things to distract from the parts of that experience."

get the gently caress outta here you spineless cunts

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

"they gave us more money than we've ever seen before to do things according to their version so our job isn't to tell the story but to legitimize their version of events"

"big honkin piles of money"

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
fuckin lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Julie Taymor version of Titus Andronicus with Anthony Hopkins and Jessica Lange is loving bonkers but a good watch with some really amazing design that blends Ancient Rome with 1930s fascist Italy. Plus bonus Alan Cumming

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Titus 2000 is hands-down the best film adaptation of a Shakespeare play I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best film adaptation of shakespeare is Forbidden Planet