Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Intruder posted:

The main power provider for the city of Houston is Centerpoint, their outage tracker crashed because of how many people have no power

We got a few inches of snow

I'm hearing zero cars on the road for the first time in many many years, the silence is a little eerie

If Houston is that bad I may not drive this week.

I sat in my truck for over 12 hours during the Atlanta Ice Shutdown, one of the other times I threw chain, I don't want to do that again. Yes I have chain and salt but perhaps commerce can take a :chillpill: and sit for a day. I'll roll Thursday just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It's not that bad if you've lived literally anywhere it snows but there's no infrastructure for it here. No plows, no salt, no one knows how to drive on snow

One time like... 14 years ago now, it snowed for literally 30 minutes while I was at lunch and people in the parking lot were sliding all over the place on my way out

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

He’s so good in Hell or High Water.

Underrated movie overall. Jeff Bridges is my hero.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
It's 7f and we've had no power for the last 90 minutes. I'm going to see if I can turn these cats into slippers

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/iamcardib/status/1361110050610241537

uhhhhhhhhh

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Watching newest WandaVision: Pietro calling Wanda out on losing her accent was awesome

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

CannonFodder posted:

If Houston is that bad I may not drive this week.

I sat in my truck for over 12 hours during the Atlanta Ice Shutdown, one of the other times I threw chain, I don't want to do that again. Yes I have chain and salt but perhaps commerce can take a :chillpill: and sit for a day. I'll roll Thursday just fine.

I saw you mention dealing with snow on I-70 in CO before; how often do you pull through there in the winter? Every chain up station I saw last weekend was absolutely packed with trucks and I have to assume that’s not a rare occurrence during winter, but I usually avoid 70 from November through April or so just because of ski traffic so I don’t know what it’s really like.

LeeMajors posted:

He’s so good in Hell or High Water.

Underrated movie overall. Jeff Bridges is my hero.

Hell or High Water is extremely good but it feels like one of those films that just kinda got ignored when it came out. I would have missed it too if ~*~the algorithm~*~ hadn’t spat it out for me on Netflix.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Freaquency posted:

Hell or High Water is extremely good but it feels like one of those films that just kinda got ignored when it came out. I would have missed it too if ~*~the algorithm~*~ hadn’t spat it out for me on Netflix.

Same. It got a best picture nom but I didn’t hear about it at all.

Which is a shame because it’s a loving masterpiece.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

Same. It got a best picture nom but I didn’t hear about it at all.

Which is a shame because it’s a loving masterpiece.

I saw it in the theaters and it is one of my top 10 movies.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I can never tell if these are satire, or if the Heathcliff artist is really just in full "gently caress it" mode.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Went back a couple pages but couldn't find it - was it The Expanse everyone was saying was so good?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Went back a couple pages but couldn't find it - was it The Expanse everyone was saying was so good?

Yeah people seem to love it, give it a shot if you've got nothing to watch.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Joey Freshwater posted:

It is, I pretended to watch a little of it so going to start it back up since everyone loves it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cool thanks, gonna start watching it

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Joey Freshwater posted:

Cool thanks, gonna start watching it

You may or may not. I tried and tried but couldn’t get into it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/gayblackvet/status/1361362991904555008?s=21

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Freaquency posted:

I saw you mention dealing with snow on I-70 in CO before; how often do you pull through there in the winter? Every chain up station I saw last weekend was absolutely packed with trucks and I have to assume that’s not a rare occurrence during winter, but I usually avoid 70 from November through April or so just because of ski traffic so I don’t know what it’s really like.
6 years ago I got a dedicated route that keeps me away from winter for the most part. But before then, with CRST they just said "Nobody goes west of Denver on I-70" and with Werner I would stop at their Denver terminal and get assigned chains and then go over the mountain and drop of the chains at a specific truck stop when heading west, and vice versa heading east. Good place. Also with Werner they had chain pick-ups and drop-offs along I-90 in Montana and the drop off truck stop refused to take our chains. That was a whole rigamaroll and those chains stayed on the truck for months.

Anywho, the stretch of I-70 between Denver and Brekenridge is a moderate climb in the dry and difficult in the snow. One thing to remember is going down is just as hazardous as going up, because with a heavy rear end truck it wants to go fast but the road conditions dictate that the truck must go slow. I'm fighting gravity uphill and downhill if that makes sense.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

You may or may not. I tried and tried but couldn’t get into it.

I like that no one who has actually gotten into it has vouched for it yet. But yeah, so many people love that show I'm not gonna tell anyone they shouldn't give it a chance.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

C-Euro posted:

I can never tell if these are satire, or if the Heathcliff artist is really just in full "gently caress it" mode.

It's just so weird and stupid that it's great.

Same

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

C-Euro posted:

100% dadaist "gently caress it" mode and it's wonderful

Garbage ape is a treasure that cannot be explained

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Anyone here semi proficient in Twitch streaming? I'm doing jackbox with my coworkers tomorrow, and all my jackbox games are on my ps4 meaning my choices for streaming are sadly limited to Twitch and YouTube (otherwise I'd use discord or zoom). My only issue with Twitch is while I've set up a ton of mod filters to basically prevent anyone from chatting in the chat, they could still join the audience (my thought was to pause the stream, tell everyone to join the code then start streaming, but this would still allow people to join the audience after).

My other option is YouTube streaming but the delay on that is a backbreaking 10 seconds versus Twitch's much more manageable 2 second delay. It just annoys me that Twitch no longer allows private streams because of course they can't monetize it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I only just started The Expanse earlier this week since it was recommended to me a few times over the years (By this thread, the Gundam thread, and some friends). I just finished season one and I've really liked it so far. The thread reactions from people who've seen later seasons say it's pretty good.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Man that show really got nuts.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

On the topic of new shows:

Just started The Leftovers on HBO Max. 2 episodes in and I'm feeling pretty unsure. I don't really like the show's overall style or characters yet. I'm told episode 3 might be the "hook" episode. If I come away from it feeling the same then I might abandon ship.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

I like that no one who has actually gotten into it has vouched for it yet. But yeah, so many people love that show I'm not gonna tell anyone they shouldn't give it a chance.

I just started it and I'm still not sure I'm into it

It's definitely very trope-heavy so far

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Friends and I tried to stream jackbox on their computer through twitch and it was weird and the audio wouldn’t go through.

Didn’t work well with zoom either.

I wasn’t on the hosting side so idk what went wrong.

Goons have been doing TFF jackbox successful through discord.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

Just started The Leftovers on HBO Max. 2 episodes in and I'm feeling pretty unsure. I don't really like the show's overall style or characters yet. I'm told episode 3 might be the "hook" episode. If I come away from it feeling the same then I might abandon ship.

This is another one I started and didn't finish. I hear it gets really good later on, but I didn't feel like powering through to that point.

e: later on being in seasons after one, so there's some work ahead of you if that's actually the case.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Friends and I tried to stream jackbox on their computer through twitch and it was weird and the audio wouldn’t go through.

Didn’t work well with zoom either.

I wasn’t on the hosting side so idk what went wrong.

Goons have been doing TFF jackbox successful through discord.

Yeah I normally play with the goons through discord. I don't have that option on ps4. I've tested Twitch and the sound / streaming are fine with minimal delay, it's just anyone can access it (not that they would, but it's possible).

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Grittybeard posted:

This is another one I started and didn't finish. I hear it gets really good later on, but I didn't feel like powering through to that point.

e: later on being in seasons after one, so there's some work ahead of you if that's actually the case.

Yeah there's no way I'm doing over 10 hours to get to the good stuff. I don't need it to knock my socks off instantly or anything, but I need to start getting a little more into it soon or I'm giving up.

And this might be a :rolleyes: for some of you who might see this as overly critical, but I was immediately turned off by the amount of handheld camera work the show uses. Everything is up close and shaking. I guess it's supposed to give a more intimate, "real" feel, but. I just kind of hate it so far.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I thought leftovers always should have been better than it was.

I didn’t watch season 2 tho.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

seiferguy posted:

Yeah I normally play with the goons through discord. I don't have that option on ps4. I've tested Twitch and the sound / streaming are fine with minimal delay, it's just anyone can access it (not that they would, but it's possible).

As host can you kick people that join that aren't part of your group?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

if you want to go full "project" mode, looks like you can just intercept the RTMP traffic to twitch and redirect it to any RTMP server. When I do jackbox in my group, I just run my own locally since I have the upstream to do it. It looks fine at 960x540 ~1mbit.

RTMP redirect:
https://gist.github.com/benphelps/ac1f3171883669c24657

one-click self-hosted RTMP
https://github.com/spencerhughes/docker-movienight

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Speaking of very very old shows and HBO Max, I discovered that Head of the Class, an incredibly average sitcom from my youth was on there and I proceeded to watch 5 episodes of it last night. Gonna have to jump ahead to the episode they filmed in the Soviet Union.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

CannonFodder posted:

As host can you kick people that join that aren't part of your group?

Newer jackbox games started allowing different features to help prevent that kind of trolling (starting at 5), but older games are missing some of those features.

Qwijib0 posted:

if you want to go full "project" mode, looks like you can just intercept the RTMP traffic to twitch and redirect it to any RTMP server. When I do jackbox in my group, I just run my own locally since I have the upstream to do it. It looks fine at 960x540 ~1mbit.

RTMP redirect:
https://gist.github.com/benphelps/ac1f3171883669c24657

one-click self-hosted RTMP
https://github.com/spencerhughes/docker-movienight

I started reading this, and my brain started to melt a bit, so maybe I'll try it if I didn't have to do this in 24 hours :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

seiferguy posted:

Anyone here semi proficient in Twitch streaming? I'm doing jackbox with my coworkers tomorrow, and all my jackbox games are on my ps4 meaning my choices for streaming are sadly limited to Twitch and YouTube (otherwise I'd use discord or zoom). My only issue with Twitch is while I've set up a ton of mod filters to basically prevent anyone from chatting in the chat, they could still join the audience (my thought was to pause the stream, tell everyone to join the code then start streaming, but this would still allow people to join the audience after).

My other option is YouTube streaming but the delay on that is a backbreaking 10 seconds versus Twitch's much more manageable 2 second delay. It just annoys me that Twitch no longer allows private streams because of course they can't monetize it.

Do you have a webcam you could just aim at your tv screen and use discord or zoom?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Ehud posted:

On the topic of new shows:

I did not like The Leftovers. The whole rapture premise is bad, to me. One of the few HBO originals that just didn't do it for me

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Has anything done a Rapture premise in a midwestern religious town but it ends up being a reverse rapture where all the worst people are taken, so all the preachers and community leaders are gone and you've got a bunch of traumatized people trying to figure out what the gently caress because they were secretly abused by them?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I had a walk around the neighborhood and suddenly I understand the concept of snow blindness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

I had a walk around the neighborhood and suddenly I understand the concept of snow blindness

It's really cool how it deadens sound though.