Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Samovar posted:

This was good. I hope their book is good, too.

I'm glad she's reached something of a détente with her cat re: her video camera.

And it's really cool seeing that the Chinese characters in Avatar actually mean things, and there seems to be a really involved calendar system that's never detailed or even mentioned in the show itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Bee posted:

They've never been hard-hard, but the shift from puzzles and postgame battle challenges to many major opponents not even having four moves was fairly noticeable. B/W to X/Y being such a marked shift is probably half of why the feeling is there, as well as the player getting tools like Megas and Z Moves that opponents rarely took advantage of.

I beat X or Y with a single combat pokemon. I wondertraded the first thing I caught for a beldum and then just never swapped it out. No battle in the early game could take it down despite it only having takedown, and by the time ghosts showed up it had evolved so I could use non-normal attacks on them. It never fainted, closest it came was during the fight against the fire elite four :shepface: and even then it survived with a red pip of health after burn damage.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I beat X or Y with a single combat pokemon. I wondertraded the first thing I caught for a beldum and then just never swapped it out. No battle in the early game could take it down despite it only having takedown, and by the time ghosts showed up it had evolved so I could use non-normal attacks on them. It never fainted, closest it came was during the fight against the fire elite four :shepface: and even then it survived with a red pip of health after burn damage.

Metagross is an S rank mon, but thats still x/y for ya.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

StealthArcher posted:

Sweeping the whole game with one Pokemon is nothing new really, especially if you trade for something that's top tier.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Alacron posted:

Sweeping the whole game with one Pokemon is nothing new really, especially if you trade for something that's top tier.

yeah that's how I beat red back when I was a kid.

easy mode in pokémon has always been to use a single pokémon, since as long as its not one of the ones muh-dry-bread would make a video about you'll naturally be overlevelled to the point where type matchup doesn't matter.

true doom pokéheads keep a fairly even levelled balanced team for the hardcore experience

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

StealthArcher posted:

Yeah but fire, ghost or dark pokemon should still kick its rear end. But it took until the end of the game for that to even be possible so it was funny.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Libluini posted:

Man, if this is true, I have to go back to Kirby one of these days. Back then, not even the secret hidden difficulty mode of the original Kirby's Dreamland could stop me, and I even bulldozed my way through the harder NES-game.

Ever since they started putting Arena modes in Kirby has secretly been the most hardcore Nintendo franchise, in both difficulty and content, and it's not even close.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SkeletonHero posted:

Ever since they started putting Arena modes in Kirby has secretly been the most hardcore Nintendo franchise, in both difficulty and content, and it's not even close.

The True Arena in Superstar Ultra is really fun and I loved the helper to hero mode as well, since one thing you never realize while playing that game is just how many small differences there are between Kirby and the helpers which makes it feel really different against bosses you've killed a dozen times when you handle completely differently.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

egg tats posted:

yeah that's how I beat red back when I was a kid.

easy mode in pokémon has always been to use a single pokémon, since as long as its not one of the ones muh-dry-bread would make a video about you'll naturally be overlevelled to the point where type matchup doesn't matter.

true doom pokéheads keep a fairly even levelled balanced team for the hardcore experience

Oh cool, glad to hear that my non-existant strategy as a kid still works even with the later games. I had Charizard and Typhlosion that I'd use for basically all my fights because I thought they were cool. But once I was using the latter, I was actually using pokemon types for each battle instead of relying on a single one basically every fight.

It's good to hear that with the many demands of the fans and the short timespan to make the games they haven't been forced to remove that core appeal to the games.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1361194956669517825

lmao

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Looks like I've caught the tail end of the Pokemon difficulty discussion since I have some weight in this, since I've been LPing the Pokemon games for the past while, just finishing up BW, so I have some thoughts.

Firstly, I was really glad to hit Gen 4 because finally the game's aren't braindead anymore. Sure, there's some tough parts here or there, but Gen 1 is just laughably bad in most aspects, Gen 2 is laughably boring and Gen 3 is laughably double battles. And even DP are pretty freaking awful, Platinum fixed so many little things it's kinda staggering, but if you have some nostalgia towards the DS games, you're not wrong, they are still amazing to play. They're varied, they're fun, they're a little tough and goddamn there's a lot of content. Not all of it is great, Musicals, Sinnoh HMs, most of the stuff HGSS kept from the godawful originals, but they're joys to play, absolutely love them to pieces. I've been looking forward to LPing B2W2 since I started Yellow, can't wait.

But I'll also admit USUM are my 3rd favourite in the series, the DS games are definitely the pinnacle, but Pokemon is a series where you make your own difficulty, and while the later games can be as braindead easy as the earlier ones, you have a million, billion tools to change things in all the ways you want. The main game definitely doesn't hold up, a lot of that is due to Game Freak moving systems every 4 years when they're just getting used to where they are, but the QOL stuff is all there and the games are still fun to play with a bunch of cool creatures, there's just not as much to keep you there outside of the very interesting and very complex PVP stuff. I've been LPing with a team of 6 and the difficulty has usually been just right, and there's always lots to explore and go over in every game, Game Freak loves their random side modes with weird mechanics you probably didn't look at for more than 5 minutes.

Anyway, play the DS games, maybe do GBA and prior, they're kinda samey after a while, and maybe give the 3DS games another shot, they're not that bad!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I only did the singlepokemon thing once for Gen1, then I just wanted to have a neat team.. Though half of the time that just meant way too many psychics and or grass types.

Crosspeice posted:

Looks like I've caught the tail end of the Pokemon difficulty discussion since I have some weight in this, since I've been LPing the Pokemon games for the past while, just finishing up BW, so I have some thoughts.

Firstly, I was really glad to hit Gen 4 because finally the game's aren't braindead anymore. Sure, there's some tough parts here or there, but Gen 1 is just laughably bad in most aspects, Gen 2 is laughably boring and Gen 3 is laughably double battles. And even DP are pretty freaking awful, Platinum fixed so many little things it's kinda staggering, but if you have some nostalgia towards the DS games, you're not wrong, they are still amazing to play. They're varied, they're fun, they're a little tough and goddamn there's a lot of content. Not all of it is great, Musicals, Sinnoh HMs, most of the stuff HGSS kept from the godawful originals, but they're joys to play, absolutely love them to pieces. I've been looking forward to LPing B2W2 since I started Yellow, can't wait.

But I'll also admit USUM are my 3rd favourite in the series, the DS games are definitely the pinnacle, but Pokemon is a series where you make your own difficulty, and while the later games can be as braindead easy as the earlier ones, you have a million, billion tools to change things in all the ways you want. The main game definitely doesn't hold up, a lot of that is due to Game Freak moving systems every 4 years when they're just getting used to where they are, but the QOL stuff is all there and the games are still fun to play with a bunch of cool creatures, there's just not as much to keep you there outside of the very interesting and very complex PVP stuff. I've been LPing with a team of 6 and the difficulty has usually been just right, and there's always lots to explore and go over in every game, Game Freak loves their random side modes with weird mechanics you probably didn't look at for more than 5 minutes.

Anyway, play the DS games, maybe do GBA and prior, they're kinda samey after a while, and maybe give the 3DS games another shot, they're not that bad!

I could never call Gen 2 boring because of the whole swerve it threw at kidme during the second act. Including the real final battle.
Plus Johto just seemed like a better put-together region.
HGSS does improve a lot of its flaws too. (and improves the concept of a genremake from Leafgreen and FireRed)

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

100 hour lasagna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aCJtxibSpA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how this guy used to do big over the top cooking videos for Buzzfeed and now does the exact opposite with super low key chill videos.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Chip and Ironicus' LP of the F7R is going well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pOdgzZ84bw

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of funny how this guy used to do big over the top cooking videos for Buzzfeed and now does the exact opposite with super low key chill videos.

The algorithm has certainly blessed him mightily, he's everywhere. Good on 'em.

Question for folks: Do you often find yourself more attracted to vids if they've got an "anti"-clickbait thumbnail? Like, a thumbnail that answers the question from a title? It's pretty effective on me, I think it makes me more interested in how the person's going to get to their conclusion. I'm experimenting with one today.

If you're not sure what this is, Adam Neely does it a lot (from "What is the Misty Chord?")

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I interact with youtube effectively only via gPodder and my favourite media player so I don't see thumbnails or visit the site anyway.

A good title is really all I need. Everyone I follow tends to be pretty good about titles.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The first Pokemon I ever played was Pokemon Red or Blue and I beat the entire game at age 6 by pressing A. The only Pokemon I caught were for HMs.

I don't think all modern Nintendo games are too easy though. Breath of the Wild could be relatively tough by Zelda standards and you had options to make the game harder on yourself by not upgrading. Some of the new Mario games have some decently challenging bits at the end of the game.

Even back in the day Super Mario Bros. 1 and SMB3 never got really hard until World 7 or 8. Nintendo is better about difficulty now than they were during the Gamecube/Wii era IMO.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Crosspeice posted:

Honestly, Platinum got be back into pokemon when I was older after I'd stopped playing it because felt too braindead and and repetitive to me. The pokemon games still aren't great at holding my attention for long because the battle system gets kind of repetitive (I'm still like 3/4ths of the way through Sun and have an unopened Ultra Sun sitting around.) But Platinum also has a lot of fun, charming writing that was enjoyable to follow along with. It's still kiddy, and that's fine, but Professor Rowan, The Looker, and Barry were all entertaining whenever they showed up, and I can't say I've really felt that way about any other NPCs in the series.

Also Broey Deschanel has a video on the latest Netflix period romance hit, Bridgerton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_CAK_yj5JM

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 15, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hell fuckin yeah, noclip video on bugsnax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtRCO7_hU7M&hd=1

bugsnax is fantastic and I hope it has similar success to hades as soon as it's out of the epic prison on pc

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

achillesforever6 posted:

Chip and Ironicus' LP of the F7R is going well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pOdgzZ84bw

I just love it myself when I can see how much chip loves a game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Captain Invictus posted:

hell fuckin yeah, noclip video on bugsnax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtRCO7_hU7M&hd=1

bugsnax is fantastic and I hope it has similar success to hades as soon as it's out of the epic prison on pc

I imagine its done pretty well on PS4/PS5 as well.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

DeafNote posted:

the nomura defender has logged on, and hell, same

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

Sony subsidized it as a PS+ game on release and I don't know if it has ever been revealed what that means financially for a company.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Been waiting for chips FF7 lp to build up before I binge it, is 20 episodes enough?

On pokemon I played red and blue under the ideal 'in school playground sharing arcane knowledge about the rare candy glitch and MissingNo' manner. They were fun but the staying power was the social aspect. I love how busted the og games were. Messing around with glitched pokemon was rad, I think I got some early insight into how games work internally from being able to poke around the edges and see weird poo poo like a lv.109 pokemon with a glitch sprite evolve into a lv 0 ditto and then watch a 5 minute animation of its impossible screen wrapping hp bar "upgrade" itself back to normal. Or pokemon that stuck arround after you catch them allowing you to catch them again which always seemed to result in catching a ditto for some reason. Or actually being brave enough to catch the glitch pokemon even though it fully corrupted your mates friends cartridge then marveling as the menu graphics start getting weird.

I liked Silver a lot it felt like just a bigger better red and blue. I do remember the bolted on Kanto area was initially exciting but soon gave over to a strange very strong feeling of nostalgia which I don't know if I'd ecperienced before in my young life. The way the map from the first game had been compressed and shrunk and certain choices that had been made to fit an entire second game world into the games limited memory. This combined to create a place that while recognisably the same as I remembered also felt much smaller and diminished. I walked these paths and towns before and they felt bigger more lively. The safari zone is closed down. The Cinnebar islands are loving gone. It legit was the same feeling I get in real life if I stumble upon somewhere I haven't been since I was a child which is pretty wild considering I was probably still playing Red up until Silver came out.

I also played platinum and sorry to Crosspiece but I found it comfortable and nostalgic but playing the game legit put me to sleep. Not an exageration or a joke I would invariably actually fall asleep during battles I don't know why. The squirel pikachu knockoff was neat I like cute electric pokemon but I really don't remember much else.

I was tempted to give the series another go with Sun/Moon but then the switch came out and I didn't feel like playing 3DS games tbh. Go was fun for a bit mainly because my sister super got into it and it was a nice excuse for a walk in the sunshine. The new ones on switch litterally followed up the tropical paradise islands setting from the last games with 'genteel parody of your own poo poo island' and I'm enormously not here for that even before it being a bad first go at a HD pokemon.

Lets go evee/pikachu I was a little tempted to get for coop play but Honestly if I wanted nostalgia bait content I'd probably be better of getting Soul Silver.

I was never terribly into the battle system tbh and I liked how lenient the games where because it meant it really didn't matter if I just picked the pokemon I liked the best.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mr Phillby posted:

I liked Silver a lot it felt like just a bigger better red and blue. I do remember the bolted on Kanto area was initially exciting but soon gave over to a strange very strong feeling of nostalgia which I don't know if I'd ecperienced before in my young life. The way the map from the first game had been compressed and shrunk and certain choices that had been made to fit an entire second game world into the games limited memory. This combined to create a place that while recognisably the same as I remembered also felt much smaller and diminished. I walked these paths and towns before and they felt bigger more lively. The safari zone is closed down. The Cinnebar islands are loving gone. It legit was the same feeling I get in real life if I stumble upon somewhere I haven't been since I was a child which is pretty wild considering I was probably still playing Red up until Silver came out.

I felt the exact same way.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Violen posted:

the nomura defender has logged on

I'm always logged in.

My only take on Pokémon difficulty is that I always used a Geodude/Graveller as my main Pokémon in Crystal, and as a result I never understood why people had so much trouble with Whitney. :newlol:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

muscles like this! posted:

Sony subsidized it as a PS+ game on release and I don't know if it has ever been revealed what that means financially for a company.

I believe Psyonix said that worked out extremely well for them financially with Rocket League.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Judge Tesla posted:

it has apparently outsold octodad, so that's certainly something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there a good FF7 Remake LP that digs in to what the remake is trying to change? So I guess ideally by somebody a fan of both.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i imagine chips will wind up being what you want as a gestalt but thats probably over a year away lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the two greatest challenges the human mind has ever faced, waiting for an lp to finish and waiting for a shonen arc to end

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dawgstar posted:

Is there a good FF7 Remake LP that digs in to what the remake is trying to change? So I guess ideally by somebody a fan of both.
Watch Maximilian dood's playthrough and then the subsequent spoilercasts he was on(I posted them upthread but can't dig for them right now) but suffice to say if they're doing even half the poo poo that he believes they are going to, the following games we're gonna see some serious poo poo

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Violen posted:

i imagine chips will wind up being what you want as a gestalt but thats probably over a year away lol

Yeah right now it’s just going over the changes as Chip reaches them - for example a rare random encounter is now a boss fight. The remake is still the same basic game where he’s at so any major videos about the changes would wait until they happen.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Final Fantasy, the Run Button guys started a 7-part Marathon of Final Fantasy VIII. It's hilarious, mostly because the one playing knows next to nothing about how the mechanics work and even with explanations, he bumbles around like a 5-year old playing his first video game. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFBMIZ0WbHo

He keeps un-equipping all his skills because he can't wrap his head around junctioning, it's amazing. I'm also sucker for bad GF jokes. :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/1361404845220106252
I guess Kyle is doing a video on Full Metal Jacket

DeafNote posted:

That and Grant's glee at anything which I can't wait for the next episode of their Jojo podcast

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Nintendo has never made a hard game. They've only had hard games released on their systems.

Look at this schmuck who has never played Ring Fit: Adventure.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Also uh, isn't Bug Fable basically the Paper Mario sequel we never got?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1082710/Bug_Fables_The_Everlasting_Sapling/

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Violen posted:

the nomura defender has logged on, and hell, same

Mr Phillby posted:

Been waiting for chips FF7 lp to build up before I binge it, is 20 episodes enough?

No, give it three more months.

MiddleOne posted:

Look at this schmuck who has never played Ring Fit: Adventure.

I was for a while! And then I slipped at work and messed up my wrist and I haven't touched it in like 5 months.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Close! According to his Patreon it's Starship Troopers.