Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Phylodox posted:

Pa Kent and his characterization are an enormous flaw. Yes, it's obvious what Snyder was trying to say with him; he's a loving father who's protective of his son and so tries to hide him from the world but in the end he teaches Clark through example with his ultimate sacrifice. But this is executed poorly. The audience comes away with the impression that Jonathan Kent is a callous, cowardly man. This is not because the audience is ignorant. How ideas are presented is as important as what those ideas are. Something as simple as Jonathan's first word being "Maybe" after Clark asks him if he should have let those kids die completely sabotages his characterization. That's terrible. Silence would have been better. It left the audience horrified, and nothing that came after mattered. Again, you can't blame the audience for that. That's why things like pacing and tone are so important.
Ah yes a cowardly Man that walks into a tornado and waves off the one being who might have been able to help him.

A parent trying to protect their kid is not a flaw. Further, we know from Ma Kent that he knew Clark was gonna do his thing. That "maybe," is pa compromising his own morality And finally, it's always been ridiculous a farmer in the dust bowl was happy, and now farmers are living off subsidy so it's even less in character for a farmer. Again, it may not be your pa Kent, but he serves Superman in the same way. They just don't have them say it straight into the camera. But not everyone can be Nolan.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phylodox posted:

Pa Kent and his characterization are an enormous flaw. Yes, it's obvious what Snyder was trying to say with him; he's a loving father who's protective of his son and so tries to hide him from the world but in the end he teaches Clark through example with his ultimate sacrifice. But this is executed poorly. The audience comes away with the impression that Jonathan Kent is a callous, cowardly man. This is not because the audience is ignorant. How ideas are presented is as important as what those ideas are. Something as simple as Jonathan's first word being "Maybe" after Clark asks him if he should have let those kids die completely sabotages his characterization. That's terrible. Silence would have been better. It left the audience horrified, and nothing that came after mattered. Again, you can't blame the audience for that. That's why things like pacing and tone are so important.

Wait so is it obvious what Snyder is saying and what his characterization is, or is it not? The audience comes away with a different impression despite it being obvious, so it wasn't obvious enough?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

according to the film those skyscrapers had only dozens of people inside them at most

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Wait so is it obvious what Snyder is saying and what his characterization is, or is it not? The audience comes away with a different impression despite it being obvious, so it wasn't obvious enough?

Jonathan Kent is subject to interpretation. Different aspects of the character leave different impressions upon viewers based upon the experiences they bring with them to the movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Can we please not do the whole "No but everyone in the audience happened to agree with me" bit? Speak for yourself, not people you imagine agree with you.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lt. Danger posted:

according to the film those skyscrapers had only dozens of people inside them at most

This is what I don't get, the impetus for civil war is made up whole cloth for the film, and yet it's not considered a flaw. Folks need to come to a consensus on the meaning of the word.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think that whether you like the movies or don't it's pretty obvious that Snyder Talk is a poisoned well at this point and anybody that drinks from it turns into a raging idiot. I'll be glad when this is released and there's some actual discussion from those that watch it and then we can put it to bed for good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Roth posted:

Can we please not do the whole "No but everyone in the audience happened to agree with me" bit? Speak for yourself, not people you imagine agree with you.

Nah those are numbers that exist and are viewable on the internet.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

I think that whether you like the movies or don't it's pretty obvious that Snyder Talk is a poisoned well at this point and anybody that drinks from it turns into a raging idiot. I'll be glad when this is released and there's some actual discussion from those that watch it and then we can put it to bed for good.

We're getting hot takes on these movies until the end of time. Strap in friend.

Aphrodite posted:

Nah those are numbers that exist and are viewable on the internet.

That so?

Man of Steel was divisive, not universally hated.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

We're getting hot takes on these movies until the end of time. Strap in friend.

No, we're not.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Why isn't there a Snydertalk containment cell?

The last two pages have been people trying to engage with someone who disagrees that Man of Steel has any flaws whatsoever for (New) God's sake.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh it never once struck me as pa kent teaching clark a lesson about sacrifice by telling his invincible kid who can fly at super speed not to rescue him, it just seemed to be a really stupid moment

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

The last two pages have been people trying to engage with someone who disagrees that Man of Steel has any flaws whatsoever for (New) God's sake.

There is friend

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

SonicRulez posted:

There’s 2 now!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

site posted:

Tbh it never once struck me as pa kent teaching clark a lesson about sacrifice by telling his invincible kid who can fly at super speed not to rescue him, it just seemed to be a really stupid moment

Jonathan Kent believed that keeping the Clark's secret was more important than his own life.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Sounds like a real bonehead move.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aggregate movie reviews are useless.

BotFA is to me a pretty bad film and gets roughly the same reviews of MoS which is honest to God my favorite superhero movie and my favorite Superman movie by far.

quote:

CRITICS CONSENSUS
Though somewhat overwhelmed by its own spectacle, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies ends Peter Jackson's second Middle-earth trilogy on a reasonably satisfying note.

quote:

CRITICS CONSENSUS
Man of Steel's exhilarating action and spectacle can't fully overcome its detours into generic blockbuster territory.

That's fuckin bizarre to me. I hear a lot of the things people don't like about MoS but "generic blockbuster" sure isn't one of them.

These are two very similarly reviewed films overall by both critics and audiences but they couldn't be further apart in my film viewing experience.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bongo Bill posted:

Jonathan Kent believed that keeping the Clark's secret was more important than his own life.

Yes and between that and the bus thing he comes off as an huge rear end in a top hat because of it

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

BotFA is to me a pretty bad film and gets roughly the same reviews of MoS which is honest to God my favorite superhero movie and my favorite Superman movie by far.

That's fuckin bizarre to me. I hear a lot of the things people don't like about MoS but "generic blockbuster" sure isn't one of them.

These are two very similarly reviewed films overall by both critics and audiences but they couldn't be further apart in my film viewing experience.

All this means is that you have your own individual feelings about certain films, like everyone else in the world does. Criticism isn't about trying to find an objective answer to the quality or lack thereof of a film. It's just a form of discussing the film. Though, yes, aggregators can obscure that fact.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

It's useless as a measure of quality, but if you want to argue that an audience does or does not have a universal opinion on something it's as decent a piece of evidence you're going to get.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, Pa Kent's whole deal is being torn between the ideas that: A) Clark is clearly going to be a huge deal to the world, and it's only a matter of time until that happens and B) That Clark is his adopted son, and he wants to keep him safe from the inevitable backlash to being exposed as an alien with godlike powers.

He does not have an answer when obvious contradictions rise up like "Should I have let all those kids drown just to keep my secret safe?" His response is a non-committal "Maybe" after having to stop and think about it for a few seconds. The scene concludes with a heartfelt "You are my son." I think it stands in contrast to Jor-El, who feels like he has nothing but definitive answers and sees his son as a great destiny that must be achieved. Pa Kent's number one priority is being a father first, not the architect of the greatest superhero to ever exist. A flawed parent, to be sure, but one who's trying his best.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

site posted:

Yes and between that and the bus thing he comes off as an huge rear end in a top hat because of it

It seems to me that there is a meaningful connection between Jonathan putting himself in danger to save a dog and sacrificing his life to try to keep the world from being disturbed by the existence of an alien, and then later Clark putting himself in danger to save the earth and being willing to sacrifice his life in order to keep the world from being colonized by an alien. I like that this connection is in the movie, even if it means that this depiction of of Jonathan Kent is unsuited to perform his traditional schtick of saying something wise and folksy that cuts right to the heart of some dilemma Clark is feeling.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love that in the sequel Clark has kind of a reverse fortress of solitude where he climbs this remote mountain to commune with his dead human dad instead of Jor-El. And I love that the movie doesn't explain it, you can just believe whatever you want. He's having a theoretical conversation in his head, he's actually talking to a real ghost because the film is set partially during the day of the dead, hallucinating, whatever. But I really love the scene.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...Is this a good or bad time to plug my Pa Kent video essay? I mean, it's just so on-topic.

McCloud posted:

The 214 cut was mostly done by almost any metric. The editing and previz was done, vxf ranged from completely done in some scenes to partially or not at all in others. That's a big difference from "oh it's just a workprint" or "it's a rough cut" or "it's not a workable cut" that was being (erroneously) reported at the time. Fans knew it wasn't entirely done, and campaigned for it to be released anyway because they didn't care. This whole "oh it wasn't 100% done, therefore we were right in that there never was a snyder cut" nonsense is what's disingenuous because that is not at all what was meant back then when they were writing articles saying there was no Snyder cut. It's hiding behind semantics.
What do you mean with "erroneously" reported? What was in error?

We don't actually know how finished, or unfinished, the 214 cut was. All the information we all had was Snyder posting grandly misleading messages like "Of course it exists," pictures of film reels, still images and behind-the-scenes screenshots, and Vero essays about big time travel storylines and how much Jesus there was in BvS.

Conspicuously missing from this deluge of insider info was any moving, audible clips whatsoever from a watchable scene...'cuz, whoops, that's the sort of content that would've required actual production on a film in order to showcase. Like, y'all keep saying Snyder didn't trick you, but I don't really know what else to call this, even if it's just a willingness to play along with his false advertising 'cuz it was fun for everyone.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I love that in the sequel Clark has kind of a reverse fortress of solitude where he climbs this remote mountain to commune with his dead human dad instead of Jor-El. And I love that the movie doesn't explain it, you can just believe whatever you want. He's having a theoretical conversation in his head, he's actually talking to a real ghost because the film is set partially during the day of the dead, hallucinating, whatever. But I really love the scene.

Snyder was just outdoing Raimi. While Spider-Man has a heaven car, Superman has a heaven mountain.

Checkmate Raimulres

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Alright hold the loving phone. Who's take is this one? Because it's hilarious and now the only way I shall think of this scene.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BrianWilly posted:

Conspicuously missing from this deluge of insider info was any moving, audible clips whatsoever from a watchable scene...'cuz, whoops, that's the sort of content that would've required actual production on a film in order to showcase.

No, that's the kind of content he doesn't legally own and can't post without repercussions. And we know for a fact those clips existed because the movie is fuckin 4 hours long and they didn't film 2 hours of new footage.

The fx director has literally said Snyder invited him to his home months before WB met Snyder about it, and showed him the cut, explaining incomplete scenes, and getting an idea of what fx work and costs would be required to finish it, which he used to pitch to the WB executives.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone call you an idiot for liking a movie bushisms

Could have fooled me with the smug-rear end tone this thread takes whenever anyone defends Snyder’s movies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SonicRulez posted:

Alright hold the loving phone. Who's take is this one? Because it's hilarious and now the only way I shall think of this scene.

Just an idea I had. If you take it that religion in these movies are real the idea that you could commune with the dead isn't far fetched. The film is pretty spiritual. I don't think that rescue scene was set during the day of the dead for no reason.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Equeen posted:

Could have fooled me with the smug-rear end tone this thread takes whenever anyone defends Snyder’s movies.

I got to be honest, I feel this thread is far nicer to people who like Snyder films than the Snyderdome is to people who don't.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Man, I hope the Snyder cut shows us more of Superman's journeys in the Mexican afterlife

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just an idea I had. If you take it that religion in these movies are real the idea that you could commune with the dead isn't far fetched. The film is pretty spiritual. I don't think that rescue scene was set during the day of the dead for no reason.

Do the Snyder Superman films profess that religious ideas are true? I think I missed that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well in Dawn of the Dead god punishes gays and muslims by making zombies so

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

The fx director has literally said Snyder invited him to his home months before WB met Snyder about it, and showed him the cut, explaining incomplete scenes, and getting an idea of what fx work and costs would be required to finish it, which he used to pitch to the WB executives.
It's almost like the
Film needed a lot of work
Before it was done
-ancient Haiku, author eaten by horses

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No I'm saying if YOU take it that religion is real. But the movies do have a lot of religious references, themes, and imagery apart from Gethsemane and crucifix posing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fangz posted:

Well in Dawn of the Dead god punishes gays and muslims by making zombies so

That is such a dishonest attack. I was shocked at Fish just stating this as fact I'm a video with zero supporting evidence, and a lot of muslims responding to her saying "absolutely not".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bongo Bill posted:

It seems to me that there is a meaningful connection between Jonathan putting himself in danger to save a dog and sacrificing his life to try to keep the world from being disturbed by the existence of an alien, and then later Clark putting himself in danger to save the earth and being willing to sacrifice his life in order to keep the world from being colonized by an alien. I like that this connection is in the movie, even if it means that this depiction of of Jonathan Kent is unsuited to perform his traditional schtick of saying something wise and folksy that cuts right to the heart of some dilemma Clark is feeling.

Well I'm glad you got something out of it because that doesn't play for me at all

Roth posted:

Yeah, Pa Kent's whole deal is being torn between the ideas that: A) Clark is clearly going to be a huge deal to the world, and it's only a matter of time until that happens and B) That Clark is his adopted son, and he wants to keep him safe from the inevitable backlash to being exposed as an alien with godlike powers.

He does not have an answer when obvious contradictions rise up like "Should I have let all those kids drown just to keep my secret safe?" His response is a non-committal "Maybe" after having to stop and think about it for a few seconds. The scene concludes with a heartfelt "You are my son." I think it stands in contrast to Jor-El, who feels like he has nothing but definitive answers and sees his son as a great destiny that must be achieved. Pa Kent's number one priority is being a father first, not the architect of the greatest superhero to ever exist. A flawed parent, to be sure, but one who's trying his best.

perhaps I was unclear. I understood the motivation he just comes off as an rear end in a top hat because of that motivation and I dislike it

site fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 16, 2021

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

I think it was supposed to be a callback to the hallucination scene in Man of Steel where Superman is slowly sinking into a sea of human skulls, and so in the Day of the Dead scene he's surrounded by people in skull makeup and looks awkward, conflicted and maybe even a little traumatized because of that. It looks cool and refers back to the concrete symbolism of the first scene in an ambiguous way so... okay, I guess?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I was shocked at Fish just stating this as fact I'm a video with zero supporting evidence, and a lot of muslims responding to her saying "absolutely not".

Ok so no film analysis is fact. None. Unless you are just stating objective technical details like "this film is 24fps" or whatever. Nor would, I imagine, Fish or any person doing readings of films claim theirs to be fact. The reason why critics (print or paper or youtube whatever) don't introduce each point they make with "in my opinion" is because it's unnecessary, and a fault of style probably as well. The fact it's opinion is implied by the fact that it's an opinion piece. You clearly do not agree with her analysis but she's not stating it as fact as opposed to stating her analysis, which by definition, is her opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

bushisms.txt posted:

Ah yes a cowardly Man that walks into a tornado and waves off the one being who might have been able to help him.

A parent trying to protect their kid is not a flaw. Further, we know from Ma Kent that he knew Clark was gonna do his thing. That "maybe," is pa compromising his own morality And finally, it's always been ridiculous a farmer in the dust bowl was happy, and now farmers are living off subsidy so it's even less in character for a farmer. Again, it may not be your pa Kent, but he serves Superman in the same way. They just don't have them say it straight into the camera. But not everyone can be Nolan.

Nothing you’ve said actually negates what I said. Those are facts that are presented in the film, yeah. But how they’re presented leads to different people taking different things away from the movie. And that’s valid. It’s something people have been discussing since the movie came out. You seem kind of like you’re just dismissing interpretation as ignorance, though, and belittling anyone who doesn’t agree with you. That’s not so valid.