Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

There's a bunch of yakuza games free on game pass. They all look a bit too jrpg for my tastes, but y'all do y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Biplane posted:

There's a bunch of yakuza games free on game pass. They all look a bit too jrpg for my tastes, but y'all do y'all.

It's a jrpg where the random battles are 3d brawlers instead of turn based (except the newest one)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Biplane posted:

k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z29qvp5QHy4

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yakuza 0 is often cheap and the best place to start. It's just a plain great game.

The only problem with Yakuza 0 is that it's almost too good an entry point, it's the best in the series at most of the stuff it does, so chances are wherever you go next in the series will be a step down in some degree.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Exactly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyDDUqSqED4

To be fair, when it comes to ridiculousness mentioning the latest Yakuza game is kind of cheating.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Like A Dragon is one of the best and most loving parodies of JRPGs I've ever seen. The in-game explanation for why combat us turn based is because the protagonist is a nerd and contextualizes everything through the lens of being a Dragon Quest game.

Even though, instead of the party being comprised of scrappy kids, the first three are a 42 year old ex con, a 41 year old homeless guy, and a 59 year old former DMV agent.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

packetmantis posted:

Every new thing I hear about Yakuza makes it sound stupider and stupider.

Oh absolutely.

But in a good way.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yakuza is a very good series about singing karaoke and beating up some people between songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRV3mL-QR-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhe7rcDUTeI

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Started playing Valheim and it is kind of fun how if you cut down a tree that's close to another you can end up knocking it over too when the first tree comes down.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Also fun is getting trolls (big aggressive dudes) to destroy trees and ore deposits by smashing everything. They just go hog wild while you're playing a dangerous game of chicken, and when you finally kill him you've got cart loads of resources as well.

The game is weirdly addictive, there's only a basic system of crafting and resources compared to mine craft or the like, but they keep you continuously entertained enough to keep going. After 20 hours a friend and I finally built our own Viking boat, a step up from our tiny raft, and we had a blast until there as well as it feeling like a huge accomplishment. The game is a good mix of minecraft and dark souls, as I like it for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm a little late to the party on Breath of the Wild, but goddamn, it actually lives up to the hype and hooks me when I'm not usually into Zelda games nor open-world combat-oriented Ubisoft type stuff, though it feels like each balances out the worst excesses of the other. Plus a big world that's actually quite well designed, and you're gonna run into something interesting no matter where you go for the most part.

Got an almost Subnautica esque sense of sheer awe encountering both the whale skeletons and the live dragons, and was pretty amazing to see where you can see one of each in the same place. And you can see the dragons having left physical marks on the terrain at times- the massive trench on top of the Gerudo Highlands made me think 'yep, a dragon did this' and lo and behold not long after I saw the dragon flying through it, and it looks like all the windmills in the northwestern canyon were probably but there to take advantage of the high winds the other dragon kicks up as it flies through.

Akkala is also interesting because it's not often you have a region where people in it admit that it's basically the boonies where not a lot happens. (though they're not necessarily right, especially since that's where the town-building sidequest takes place)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Akkala is also interesting because it's not often you have a region where people in it admit that it's basically the boonies where not a lot happens. (though they're not necessarily right, especially since that's where the town-building sidequest takes place)

They do something fun with this in Age of Calamity, to make use of the fact it's set a hundred years in the past. Specifically, they flip Akkala and Hateno's significance; Akkala Citadel is the Hyrule military's secondary stronghold after the Castle, so there's a good few missions set in and around it, because it hasn't fallen yet. Meanwhile, you participate in the defense of Fort Hateno that let Hateno Village stand and develop as one of the few intact settlements in BotW--but because that hasn't happened yet, the Village itself is barely actually mentioned because nothing's going on there.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:57 on Feb 15, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yakuza 0 is often cheap and the best place to start. It's just a plain great game.

"This game sounds really dumb" is a strange thing to read as a request for somewhere to start.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

packetmantis posted:

"This game sounds really dumb" is a strange thing to read as a request for somewhere to start.

Disagree, some of the best games ever are extraordinarily dumb.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Sleeping Dogs (even the title doesn't make any sense) is one of the dumbest games I've ever played and I really enjoyed it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sorry, I only play smart games, like Braid :smug:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

so get this you are a chubby plumber who jumps on turtles and mushrooms

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

packetmantis posted:

What games do you enjoy that don't sound dumb as he'll?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

What games do you enjoy that don't sound dumb as he'll?

Baba Is You is a game about pushing word blocks around to change the nature of reality

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Or hey, breath of the wild is about picking up the peices and resuming a quest to slay a great evil 100 years after the first attempt failed.

Its also a game where you surf on shields, fight a very angry rock, and help build a village entirely filled with people whos name ends in son.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zoig posted:

Or hey, breath of the wild is about picking up the peices and resuming a quest to slay a great evil 100 years after the first attempt failed.

Its also a game where you surf on shields, fight a very angry rock, and help build a village entirely filled with people whos name ends in son.

You can go to Iceland?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

every time somebody posts about stuff that happens in Yakuza it reads like someone in an office describing a dream they had

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Alhazred posted:

Sleeping Dogs (even the title doesn't make any sense) is one of the dumbest games I've ever played and I really enjoyed it.

The title doesn't make sense until very nearly the last line of the game lol
Sleeping dogs is so over the top it owns

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

packetmantis posted:

you seem to be in the wrong thread

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

ilmucche posted:

The title doesn't make sense until very nearly the last line of the game lol
Sleeping dogs is so over the top it owns
"You know Wei Shen, we really are the Sleeping Dogs"

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

When I first heard about yakuza many year ago I thought it was some serious, mafia type crime brawler, but not very polished. Then years later I learned that it was extraordinarily silly game and decided that I really don't need any more Japanese weirdness in my life. Only after a friend had been mainlining 0 and kiwami did I decide to give it a chance, and man am I glad I did. Whoever said it plays the main story straight and just goes off the rails with anything else was completely right. Honestly everyone should give 0 a chance, though I have problems staying interests with the other parts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm most of the way through the room 4 and something I've come to appreciate about this series is how much work the devs put into the sound. in a game about looking for hidden buttons and sliding panels and secret hinges, it turns out it adds a lot for everything to have really satisfying foley sounds as things slide into place or snap open, as well as good surreal ambient sounds during scene transitions

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

OutOfPrint posted:

Like A Dragon is one of the best and most loving parodies of JRPGs I've ever seen. The in-game explanation for why combat us turn based is because the protagonist is a nerd and contextualizes everything through the lens of being a Dragon Quest game.

Even though, instead of the party being comprised of scrappy kids, the first three are a 42 year old ex con, a 41 year old homeless guy, and a 59 year old former DMV agent.

I thought that in jRPGs people retired at 30 and died at 35?!?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yakuza 0 is basically Japanese Mafia movie main story and soap opera / variety show on the side quests. It feels a lot like being more in on the joke with it being interactive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJbE3uWN9vE

And it's full of charming and completely skippable moments like your karaoke being so good you begin to become part of the music video.

A game where I built a multimillion dollar property empire to beat a child at loving cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQS4RMDbHvo

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Feb 15, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Kiryu's victory pose and music after winning a slot car race is perfection

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
That's missing the second part of the quest, where Kiryu returns to the kid with the info only to find him crying because his dad was kidnapped by ocean-hating Yakuza while he was out researching his report. Kiryu decapitates them both with a bicycle and then they apologize and promise to from this day forward to love and take care of the ocean. The kid and his dad are fine and give Kiryu a piece of tempered glass for his trouble. Kiryu closes his eyes and chides himself for forgetting to ask what the benthic zone actually is.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SkeletonHero posted:

That's missing the second part of the quest, where Kiryu returns to the kid with the info only to find him crying because his dad was kidnapped by ocean-hating Yakuza while he was out researching his report. Kiryu decapitates them both with a bicycle and then they apologize and promise to from this day forward to love and take care of the ocean. The kid and his dad are fine and give Kiryu a piece of tempered glass for his trouble. Kiryu closes his eyes and chides himself for forgetting to ask what the benthic zone actually is.

1) That's called Fistplomacy

2) Kiryu has never killed anyone

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
No one said it was a lethal decapitation.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he kills them, but they live

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It got memed to hell, but I still love the part of Yakuza 0 where you hire Nugget as a property manager.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Towards the end of Yakuza 2 a character says "A real man oughta be a little stupid" and drat if that doesn't sum up the entire franchise.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yakuza_sidequesting.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah I've heard of Yakuza but never played any of them until Like A Dragon. I have heard about the goofiness of the games but it was a series I never really paid attention to for whatever even. Ichiban's goofy rear end haircut and changing the gameplay to a turn-based RPG won me over though.

I'm not sure what's funnier about LAD, making all the dudes Breakers and watching them shuffle around the battlefield and then flex on fools with their dance moves or the fact that some of my attacks consist of things such as throwing ashtrays, smushing a birthday cake in their face, or smacking them with a giant pepper mill and then covering them with pepper as my guys scream about their enemy being the secret ingredient.

Definitely trying the other games starting with Yakuza 0 if they are just as goofy as LAD.