Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Endjinneer posted:

IDS is a prison warden. Starmer is a parking warden.

IDS is the cruel yet indifferent administrator of a nightmarish panopticon from a Terry Gilliam movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I thought Starmer was more the William Hague of the Labour Party.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mebh posted:

I thought Starmer was more the William Hague of the Labour Party.

"Vote for me, at university I regularly drank 18 pints on a night out".

Yeah, that works.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
William Hague looked like exactly the sort of kid to drink 18 pints on a night out and be a huge mess no one could be hosed with, then refuse to even do any cocaine to sober up like a good sport

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
people have gone completely insane

https://twitter.com/__mamiwata/status/1361446452099248131?s=20

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
She had a pop at the other lady. Now shes getting death threats that shes bleeting about the same way the other lady does whenever she has a pop at anyone she doesnt like. Everyones a racist. Blah blah

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Lungboy posted:

It somehow managed to be even worse than that, it was split across 3 fixed ages so you were forced to spend it at specific points in your life, and it was so low as to be almost worthless.

E: it wasn't as low as I remembered : £10,000 to use over their lifetime on upskilling courses and further education. That’ll be divided into £4,000 at 25 years old, £3,000 at 40, and another £3,000 at 55.

But still, why split it up into chunks at specific points? £10k to spend as and when could be great but this is terrible.

Like with lots of Lib Dem policies there was a germ of a good idea in there but it goes through the Lib brain filter.

Like "We should help out struggling renters" goes through the filter and becomes "Means-tested zero-interest loans for people struggling to pay their rent". Yes that was a real Lib Dem policy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

She had a pop at the other lady. Now shes getting death threats that shes bleeting about the same way the other lady does whenever she has a pop at anyone she doesnt like. Everyones a racist. Blah blah

I swear you were a better poster before the av change.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

TheRat posted:

Dont talk to the police

"it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court"

Enjoy getting charged when there was no reason to be and then having adverse inferences drawn against you :bravo:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When it reaches trial in 2085.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I swear you were a better poster before the av change.

Nah.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Beautiful :allears:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Trin Tragula posted:

"it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court"

Enjoy getting charged when there was no reason to be and then having adverse inferences drawn against you :bravo:

this just makes it sound like you've never been arrested tbh

Don't talk to the police no matter what inane nonsense they babble at you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was under the impression they say that to get you to talk, because literally everyone else on the planet worth a drat tells you not to talk to them because they aren't interested in justice they're just looking for something to pin on you, and history is replete with people who cooperated with the cops and ended up going to jail for it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

I was under the impression they say that to get you to talk, because literally everyone else on the planet worth a drat tells you not to talk to them because they aren't interested in justice they're just looking for something to pin on you, and history is replete with people who cooperated with the cops and ended up going to jail for it.

"dont talk to cops" was good advice before the tories demanded that CPS touch nothing that isnt a slam dunk

now you just have to sit it out without incriminating yourself and, unless someone filmed you or you got DNA all over a murder/series of robberies, you're going to walk.

e; the unwritten part of why the advice is universal is the majority of people aren't capable of lasting a 2 hour interview without incriminating or contradicting themselves. It doesn't really matter if the contradiction is a genuine mistake, it's now on tape.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 16, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah and then they go on to use that as evidence of you trying to cover something up, the point is to manufacture evidence to find someone to take the fall, not actually solve the crime. Why would cops care about solving crimes, crimes keep them in a job. If there aren't enough crimes they make them up.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah and then they go on to use that as evidence of you trying to cover something up, the point is to manufacture evidence to find someone to take the fall, not actually solve the crime. Why would cops care about solving crimes, crimes keep them in a job. If there aren't enough crimes they make them up.

A lack of crimes is not an issue the police face at the moment.
A lack of time to investigate crimes is an issue they face. The police rely on there being people who don't have the language/cognitive skills to understand or respond to their questioning to be able to get enough evidence to persuade the CPS to charge.
I do think that police officers would rather that the person who committed the crime be the person who's charged; but I think that without enough time/resources to properly investigate, they'll take an easy win, even if it means a miscarriage of justice takes place.

Also, there are lots of police officers who are just massive cunts.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I know it tends to get more coverage with the sheer abundance of American true crime podcasts and shows and stuff (so I'm sure it's pretty universal), but there's a depressingly (but unsuprising) notable amount of "We interviewed this mentally challenged guy for 12 hours without rest without a lawyer present, and even though he's got an alibi, CCTV supporting that alibi, no linked DNA, or any motive, and we don't have any actual physical evidence...he failed the polygraph, signed this confession and totally done it, we swear."

And that's without even touching on good old fashioned predjudice, ineptitude, and corruption, and the pseudosciences of criminal profiling and polygraphs.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 16, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The policy of "NEVER loving EVER talk to police" is supported by the vast majority of people I'm aware of who have knowledge of those systems and, unlike apparently the general public of the UK, I do generally believe in listening to experts.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Jewell

do not talk to the police.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/Tweetgood_Mac/status/1361286227488563207

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

If you do feel compelled to chat with them out of some need to be polite or whatever do remember that hearing the caution is the definitive 'actually do shut the gently caress up now' moment where you confirm only your identity until you see a solicitor

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Utterly demented. Lol at the Antisemitism Tsar joining in for a bit of cyber bullying

I won’t watch anything with Eddie Marsan any more cos he’s such a bully and a oval office on Twitter, hope that doesn’t make me an antisemite too

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Noxville posted:

Utterly demented. Lol at the Antisemitism Tsar joining in for a bit of cyber bullying

I won’t watch anything with Eddie Marsan any more cos he’s such a bully and a oval office on Twitter, hope that doesn’t make me an antisemite too

I can't watch Rachel Riley any more for the same reason

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

clear eyes full farts posted:

If you do feel compelled to chat with them out of some need to be polite or whatever
I know a guy (nice lad but young & naive) who does this at protests, he thinks he's smart enough to get one over on the police but jfc he is not. When they try to make polite conversation with you, it is a trap. They are trying to get information out of you that they can use against you, just shut your mouth and turn your back ffs. As if the obvious plainclothes taking "sneaky" photos of everyone the uniforms chat to wasn't enough of a clue what's going on.

At very least they're trying to put you off/humanise themselves to make it emotionally harder for you to [redacted], just don't engage

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I used to work at a solicitors and, most of the time, just answering 'no comment' to everything but your name tended to lead to getting off. It was all the people trying to contextualise things or give there side of the story that ended up getting in more trouble

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I know I am going to get flamed for this but she has opened herself upto accusations of anti-Semitism.

She has singled out the only high profile Jewish actor, one who's profile is built on anti-anti-semtism, for criticism.

She might have gotten the benefit of the doubt if she didn't have Corbyn plastered all over her profile.

The left is never going to get out from under anti-Semitism until we move on from Corbyn.

Can we convince Grace Blakeley to join the party and stand for leadership?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not going to "get out from" it anyway because it is and always was completely disingenuous, and thus it knows no limitations based on mere reality, what do you want, everyone to say corbyn is obviously wrong when they are asked about it but coincidentally I support all his policies and all the anti racism he did?

You can't just pretend that bit of history didn't happen, either you own it and tell them to get hosed or you cringe and whimper and weasel your way into looking like an absolute fool trying to appeal to both sides.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I was under the impression that a key difference between UK and US law is that not talking to the police after you’ve been arrested can be actively used against you over here?

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Not in Scotland fwiw

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

A lack of crimes is not an issue the police face at the moment.
A lack of time to investigate crimes is an issue they face.
Well surely that just means that they will focus on the most important and serious crimes...

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

TACD posted:

I was under the impression that a key difference between UK and US law is that not talking to the police after you’ve been arrested can be actively used against you over here?
The main difference in that regard is that yanks can refuse to answer a question in court. Try that here & see what the judge does.

Theres always a good justification for why you don't say anything without advice from a lawyer, and that's "because I didn't have advice from a lawyer"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TheRat posted:

I can't watch Rachel Riley any more for the same reason

Countdown is very easy to watch on mute.

I don't even mean like having a wank, but obviously do what you need to do. I will unmute for Susie Dents words of the day though :allears:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Countdown is very easy to watch on mute.

I don't even mean like having a wank, but obviously do what you need to do. I will unmute for Susie Dents words of the day though :allears:

Anne Robinson is taking over so soon two thirds of the main cast will be insufferably cruel.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Happy pancake day, comrades.

My only question to you is... what is the Correct pancake topping?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

sebzilla posted:

jfc thanks for the heads up I'd completely forgotten, I'll go make batter, only just got time before my gf gets up!

(lemon juice & sugar)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

oo0o0000ooo ooo0o0o0ooooo myyyys-teeeer-eeeeeeee-ooooooouuus guuuuuuuuuuurl

put your body (atasafesocialdistance [checkthelatestgovernmentguideliiiines]) to miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine :sax:

*gyrates my muscley stomach all sexy-like*

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sebzilla posted:

Plain, sugar, lemon, lemon and sugar. In that order.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

sebzilla posted:

I feel like the correct answer should be lemon and sugar but... Nutella loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Aphex- posted:

I feel like the correct answer should be lemon and sugar but... Nutella loving rules.

Lemon and sugar for the Proustian childhood thing, Nutella and cream a close second