Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Coolguye posted:

"I don't have any mods. Are there any must-have?" no. play the game vanilla for a little bit and then go mod anything that pisses you off.

There are three mods I consider essential. None affects balance in any way.

Allow Tool. A much more powerful selection mechanism. Select a berry bush. Use Select Similar, and drag to get all the other berry bushes (and nothing else) selected. Click "Harvest Fully Grown" and harvest only those bushes. There are multiple non-farming uses. Couldn't live without it.

No Forced Slowdown, Easy Speedup. Tired of having the mandatory slow-speed when a danger approaches? Reset it yourself to whatever's appropriate. Especially nice when a raid shows up that plans to gently caress around for awhile before attacking. Easy Speedup adds a faster fourth speed, which is great for nighttime.

Two more I appreciate a lot:
EdB Prepare Carefully for when you don't want to spend half an hour rolling up pawns. To make it less of a cheat, click the box that enforces a point total; that way when you take away somebody's being a pyromaniac, you have to add some bad trait back. Also lets you save groups of pawns if you want to reuse them when a game goes sour.

(has to be downloaded from Github or Dropboxp)
ZiTools Object Seeker. Trying to remember just where that crashed shuttle fragment you got a quadrum ago was? Search for it by name! Given my aging eyes and Rimworld's overall low-contrast color scheme, this is a Godsend.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The other storytellers are designed to eventually push you off world to an end condition. Randy throws whatever at you, scaled to your wealth level without the goal of overwhelming you until you blast off to space for a reprieve.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I can't even play this game without Prepare Carefully and Allow Tool, they both just save a lot of time

Prepare Carefully should really be part of the base game

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

During Early Access, Oxygen Not Included added a control for "I'm trying to roll up a scientist" [or whatever], and wow did that save a lot of time. If in Rimworld I could say "Roll until you get somebody over 6 in construction" then I could just wade through those for somebody I could tolerate.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

If you dig a place out of the rock, you can turn all your rock into blocks and then into traps instead of walls.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Stone traps do kind of crummy damage compared to steel though

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i need my steel for hydroponics

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Arsenic Lupin posted:

During Early Access, Oxygen Not Included added a control for "I'm trying to roll up a scientist" [or whatever], and wow did that save a lot of time. If in Rimworld I could say "Roll until you get somebody over 6 in construction" then I could just wade through those for somebody I could tolerate.

This mod does exactly that : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2057362949&searchtext=prepare+moderately

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
stone is definitely the thing that i never feel like i have enough of that i can throw it at traps. wood and steel you can eventually start buying in arbitrary amounts from bulk traders. just grow infinity corn or rice and get infinity wood and infinity steel in return. bulk traders don't carry stone, though, so you always have to produce that on site. and boy you will need plenty of it on site to make non-flammable floors and walls.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ohhh. So when I have large supplies of stone, I should switch to stone traps instead of wood in my kill corridor?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wood is 40. Most stone is 60. Sandstone 50, granite 65. Steel is 100.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for all of the tips, everyone. What are good crops to grow? Is potato better than rice?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Rice if you want food fast, corn if you want a lot of food slowly, taters if your soil is garbage

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

It also depends on climate. Corn keeps better than potatoes keeps better than rice.

I just came on a windfall of uranium. I'm still at mid-level technology; I have Microelectronics so I have the faster research bench, but am currently working on Geothermal. What's the highest and best use of uranium right now? Or is it so rare I should save it?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Danaru posted:

Rice if you want food fast, corn if you want a lot of food slowly, taters if your soil is garbage

IIRC the math works out such that potatoes aren't worth growing

Edit: nope, if all you have is gravel then potatoes are better. Anyway there's no point in growing rice in any situation other than your very first crop (in which case you at most you want to plant rice and corn at the same time). Corn has the longest shelf life, requires the least labor to grow, and on a per time basis is only very very slightly behind rice in terms of nutrition per day, just grow corn.

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 16, 2021

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Taters are a little better in bad soil in terms of nutrition per day, but rice is still faster and corn takes less labor.

Fake edit: beaten, and seconding that corn is king in vanilla. rice is good when you need food now, but it has huge labor and space requirements so it's not sustainable once you're stabilized.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Rice is also useful for training pawns.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So I kept playing my first easy game for a while to just make a fun super-base and I think I may have ended up going a little overboard freezer-wise?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

omg you need Deep Storage mod like yesterday

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I could see rice also being useful if you have an extremely short growing season and don't have hydroponics yet. Corn's no good if you can't get it to live long enough to harvest. Granted the solution here is probably more just "don't play so close to the poles"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I could see rice also being useful if you have an extremely short growing season and don't have hydroponics yet. Corn's no good if you can't get it to live long enough to harvest. Granted the solution here is probably more just "don't play so close to the poles"

Thats where you make greenhouses by walling in a sunlamp.
I usually don't even bother with doing rice at all thse days, my pawns just shoot a couple deer or whatever and live off simple meals until the corn crop comes in.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

redreader posted:

Thanks for all of the tips, everyone. What are good crops to grow? Is potato better than rice?

corn is, in general, the crop you want to grow the most of. its nutrition per day is in line with rice (potato is lower, but is more suitable for bad soil), but because it takes a long time to grow, the ground is implicitly doing the majority of the work rather than your pawns.

that said, there's a lot of things about that. colder climates make corn more risky because losing a crop is so much more hurtful. it's also not appropriate for the very beginning of the game because you need to start making a decent amount of food RIGHT NOW.

the thing you should realize is that corn is also one of the best cash crops in the game, because it is accepted by bulk traders. bulk traders are one of your most valuable types, because they have the fundamental resources you need and they tend to carry a lot of it. psykite is a fine trade good, but you must sell it to a different merchant type (pirate) that much more rarely carries something truly useful. you must therefore go yayo -> silver -> steel rather than just going corn -> steel (as an example).

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I grow a wide variety of crops because imagining my colonists eating the exact same thing everyday makes me sad.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It also depends on climate. Corn keeps better than potatoes keeps better than rice.

I just came on a windfall of uranium. I'm still at mid-level technology; I have Microelectronics so I have the faster research bench, but am currently working on Geothermal. What's the highest and best use of uranium right now? Or is it so rare I should save it?

Incorporating it into turrets and certain walls is a good use if you don't have anything else to use it on right now

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Doomykins posted:

I grow a wide variety of crops because imagining my colonists eating the exact same thing everyday makes me sad.

Same. I wish this was a thing that mattered, similar to how having diverse food sources improves settler health in Banished.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Incorporating it into turrets and certain walls is a good use if you don't have anything else to use it on right now

I love it for autodoors because you get the quick open speed yet non-flammable thing going on.

Also quests can absolutely dump uranium on you. If you don't have a mod that adds uranium usage, use it on whatever.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Uranium mini-turrets have 0% flammability. I didn't know that until today.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cugel posted:

Uranium mini-turrets

...gently caress!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uranium mini-turrets and auto-doors are awesome, I build them all the time

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there, like, a way to get a list of my structures so I can see where the turrets I have that are steel are as I replace them?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Doomykins posted:

Frances Nurples posted:

Same. I wish this was a thing that mattered, similar to how having diverse food sources improves settler health in Banished.

Good news.

Best used with mods that add more crop types.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, speaking of turrets, is the outgoing accuracy affected by surrounding them with sandbags, or just the incoming? What about autoturrets and uranium shooters?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

MikeJF posted:

Is there, like, a way to get a list of my structures so I can see where the turrets I have that are steel are as I replace them?

With List Everything there is.

MikeJF posted:

Also, speaking of turrets, is the outgoing accuracy affected by surrounding them with sandbags, or just the incoming? What about autoturrets and uranium shooters?

AFAIK the accuracy calculation only counts cover within 2 tiles of the target, so you can shoot over random trash without it affecting your hit chances, but other objects can be hit by stray bullets that rolled to miss. Living meat shields are a separate matter.

e: to clarify further, your turrets can shoot over sandbags just fine except when the enemies get up close, same as with colonists.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 16, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A meteor hit my spaceship and blew up the reactor and computer. :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

silentsnack posted:

With List Everything there is.

AFAIK the accuracy calculation only counts cover within 2 tiles of the target, so you can shoot over random trash without it affecting your hit chances, but other objects can be hit by stray bullets that rolled to miss. Living meat shields are a separate matter.

e: to clarify further, your turrets can shoot over sandbags just fine except when the enemies get up close, same as with colonists.

I think even with living targets, the "friendly fire" rule applies, so anything within 2 tiles is safe from being shot in the back by turrets.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I am deeply, deeply disappointed that people are still sleeping on RimHUD as an essential QoL mod. Do y'all enjoy needing to click three times to see a pawn's skills?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MikeJF posted:

In theory the outgoing accuracy isn't effected, turrets (normal auto-turrets, nothing larger) just gain a cover bonus.

but iirc when people actually go in-game and run tests, cover makes no difference to turret survivability

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Really? Huh. At least there's a benefit in that sandbags might slow down a bug or scyther coming to whack the turret for a split second longer? Also it looks cool.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Coolguye posted:

traveling is dangerous for everyone involved, even the people left behind at home
I really don't understand why travel is such a huge pain in the base game and avoid it as much as possible. The rewards need to be on the level of archeotech(or an insane amount of rare materials) to make me budge

Like you're able to build high-tech gear and gadgets but can't build a god drat vehicle to shave off a day or two of travel time :argh:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Travelling = fire an orbital pod, farskip home.