Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Jimmy went to Westview to check on someone in the witness protection program, did they ever reveal who that person is? Is it important or just a plot device to set things in motion?

They have not, I assume it was just to set things in motion though. Maybe in the wrap up they'll show him talking to someone and it'll be someone whose name is something in the comics or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Jimmy went to Westview to check on someone in the witness protection program, did they ever reveal who that person is? Is it important or just a plot device to set things in motion?
Considering Jimmy was already monitoring superhero-types in Ant-Man, seems likely whoever he was keeping tabs on in Westview was more than just your average mob informant. The writers went out of their way to say there's someone of special significance that's gone missing in this town, and avoided telling us their name or any details about them. I have to imagine that they at least want us to think the person is more important.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Quiet Python posted:

The thing I keep coming back to is Darcy's question "Why a sitcom?" If Wanda wanted to live an idyllic life with Vision and her kids, she could have wound up in a Disney movie or a historical romance or any other happy little genre setting. But we still don't know why Wandavision is a sitcom. I wonder if Pietro's comment that Wanda's parents "would love this" means that it was Wanda and Pietro's parents who were big fans of sitcoms and that's why Wanda finds the genre so comforting. It's the only connection to her parents she has left.

Why a sitcom is easier if you ask "Why not a movie?" Movies end. There's a "Happily Ever After" but that happens off screen and so does it really happen? Sitcoms can go on forever, they can change form, change format, even change characters, but you can keep going. There's been soap operas on the air for 40 years straight with the same storyline and sometimes the same actors. If she doesn't want the happiness to end, it needs to be a TV show not a movie.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Its gonna be Michael Keaton who snitched on people in prison.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

swickles posted:

Its gonna be Michael Keaton who snitched on people in prison.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I've kinda assumed that was a lie to get someone from Sword to show up. Given it hasn't been mentioned since, particularly through the entire sequence where they were identifying all the residents, I'd consider it lovely writing for it suddenly to be brought back up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, at most you'll get a little one-liner about it in ep9. It's not like this thing with Monica's engineer friend that they made sure to pointedly bring up again.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
My thoughts are that Agnes is in WitPro and that's why SWORD hasn't IDed her. The hints towards her dead husband as well, perhaps that's the case she's a witness to. Jimmy wouldn't be very outspoken about when he sees her on the TV and say to everyone: "Hey, that person is in Witness Protection." I think the Agatha Harkness hints are a red herring.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Just throwing it out there - if Agnes is literally just Agatha with the name changed to prevent the "spoiler" that's real dumb. At that point why even bother? Just change the name, it isn't as though her behavior has been super subtle about the character being important in some fashion.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wanda?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

seaborgium posted:

Why a sitcom is easier if you ask "Why not a movie?" Movies end. There's a "Happily Ever After" but that happens off screen and so does it really happen? Sitcoms can go on forever, they can change form, change format, even change characters, but you can keep going. There's been soap operas on the air for 40 years straight with the same storyline and sometimes the same actors. If she doesn't want the happiness to end, it needs to be a TV show not a movie.

The sitcoms chosen also seem to hint at some unconscious turbulence in Wanda's mind;

The Dick Van Dyke show- Innocent and idyllic family life early in the history of TV sitcoms where the most controversial thing that happened was the wife wore pants one time.
Bewitched- A still fairly innocent show about trying to hide who you are from your neighbors and conforming to their expectations.
The Brady Bunch- I don't know much about the show but probably something about tying disparate threads into a cohesive family.
Family Ties- The central premise is a pair of aging radicals from the 60s coming to terms with their kids having grown up so fast and rejecting the social activism their parents embrace that age with the daughter being a crass consumerist and their son being a crass young republican. Essentially how to be a loving family despite your children being entirely alien to you.
Malcolm in the Middle- A show with a mother and father who intensively love each other but sometimes forget that amidst an array of outside pressures.

^^^ It'll be his old partner Melinda May since Ming Na is contractually obligated to show up in every Disney tv show.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It seems like it was just an excuse to get Jimmy there so he could set things in motion.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Boxman posted:

Just throwing it out there - if Agnes is literally just Agatha with the name changed to prevent the "spoiler" that's real dumb. At that point why even bother? Just change the name, it isn't as though her behavior has been super subtle about the character being important in some fashion.

To put a red herring in the mixture. It really doesn't need to be anything more than that. You say that it's not like the show has been super subtle about her character being important in some fashion, but the fact that you have to be so vague as "in some fashion" says enough really. We're 2/3rs of the way through, and Agnes has yet to do anything of import while every hint that she's important has been watered down with other people doing all the kinds of things that set her apart (like having some degree of conscious control or awareness of her situation). At this point, we have a good idea of what everyone bar maybe the one who set this all in motion wants, and there's no way that's Agnes because she's been too devoid of control for her to be the one who put everything in motion.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

Other than the opening, I thought this episode was less like Malcolm in the Middle and more like a Nickelodeon series.

I hope the aeronautical engineer is Shuri, and SWORD is stopped by a regiment of Dora Miljae popping out of Wakandan stealth ships

This. it was very Clarissa explains it all/secret world of Alex mac.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

seeing a lot of twitter folks talking poo poo about the article complaining about the speed of the show, and basically calling people who complain "broken" by binge shows. That's an amazing way of being condescending to folks for having criticisms of the show.

For the record, I really didn't love the first three episodes but the last two have been super solid I don't mind waiting a week between episodes but splitting the narrative helped a great deal with it just doing sitcoms in the first three.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

seaborgium posted:

Also sitcoms play based on the reality that you know, idealized (for the most part) but somewhat familiar. So its reality but just slightly off from real reality.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also sitcoms play based on the reality that you know, idealized (for the most part) but somewhat familiar. So its reality but just slightly off from real reality.

Oh yeah, there's a ton of reasons. I was just responding to why it wouldn't be movie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm fine with the pacing of the show but, at the same time, I also feel like I'm being roundhouse-kicked every time the "Please Stand By" screen pops up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I feel like the insanely long credits are going to be meaningful at some point

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sebmojo posted:

I feel like the insanely long credits are going to be meaningful at some point

It's the same in Mandalorian. Just seems to be a D+ thing.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, because most of the Disney+ shows hit multiple territories at the same time, they just do one huge credits run, and not unique credits for reach country.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Why would Jimmy have mentioned the name of the person in the Witness Protection Program he was looking into? How would that possibly have organically come up when he's talking to people that aren't even in the same agency? "So I came to Westview to check on someone who's identity I'm trying to keep a secret, btw his full real name is John Snitcherson just in case you were wondering, anyway..."

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

What if Jimmy learned the magic trick so the FBI just assigned him all magic-related witnesses as a joke to deal with the trauma of the Snap?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tars Tarkas posted:

What if Jimmy learned the magic trick so the FBI just assigned him all magic-related witnesses as a joke to deal with the trauma of the Snap?

No, they obviously assigned him all the magic cases because he do the magic.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

tsob posted:

I disagree. I suppose on a technical level then someone could point at it and go "see; foreshadowing", but I'd still be inclined to tell them to go gently caress themselves because the way the scene is constructed it doesn't work at all as Agnes actually issuing a command.
Well, I really disagree.

When you isolate the scene, Agnes doesn't even sound confused or scared. Wanda and Vis do, but she's speaking in a pretty transactional way that feels like she's clarifying. Her "Take it from the top line" really does sound like she's taking lead.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yea, she's the controller, or maybe more accruately, The Director.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The last shot of the show is everyone, including Vision, dead around Wanda, and she just kind of has a puzzled look.

And then the Curb your Enthusiasm music plays.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

twistedmentat posted:

I reckon this dovetails in with how she seems to be playing a part for Vision last episode rather than genuinely briefly freed from the Hex's control. She's trying to direct the scenes, and she's changing up her tactics as necessary. Exactly what she's trying to do is unclear, but does seem like she's trying both to mollify Wanda and encourage Vision to investigate... which makes sense, since it's clear Wanda can come and go from the Hex as she pleases, and does not respond well to anyone trying to pierce her bubble.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I reckon this dovetails in with how she seems to be playing a part for Vision last episode rather than genuinely briefly freed from the Hex's control. She's trying to direct the scenes, and she's changing up her tactics as necessary. Exactly what she's trying to do is unclear, but does seem like she's trying both to mollify Wanda and encourage Vision to investigate... which makes sense, since it's clear Wanda can come and go from the Hex as she pleases, and does not respond well to anyone trying to pierce her bubble.

There is a clear objective and end to all this, its not just Wanda trying to create a happy life for herself.

Maybe someone wants the Mind Stone and believes that Wanda can recreate it though her powers.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Mojo? Mojo!

It's not Mojo :(

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Wife just had an idea -- the person in WitSec might not be a mob snitch or whatever, but a woman in some kind of galactic WitSec, hiding in Westview with her foster-son. Explains why Skrulls are on the big board, explains why West Coast agent with a specialty in hero nonsense is the agent on the spot, offers an opportunity for a story for teen Billy, and fills in the last major Young Avenger.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

twistedmentat posted:

An actor and director in the MCU? It can only be one person. He’s been there the whole time! Jon Favreau!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

I didn't get that. She's an actress in a show. She defaults to bored professionalism, the same way an actual actor would.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
these sorts of docs tend to be pretty bland, but this is airing the week after the finale so it could potentially be more interesting given that it can get into the entire series

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1361676709179891718

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Phylodox posted:

I didn't get that. She's an actress in a show. She defaults to bored professionalism, the same way an actual actor would.

There's been way too much going on with Agnes for her to just be some townie trapped in there like everyone else.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

LionArcher posted:

seeing a lot of twitter folks talking poo poo about the article complaining about the speed of the show, and basically calling people who complain "broken" by binge shows. That's an amazing way of being condescending to folks for having criticisms of the show.

For the record, I really didn't love the first three episodes but the last two have been super solid I don't mind waiting a week between episodes but splitting the narrative helped a great deal with it just doing sitcoms in the first three.

I'm very much enjoying WandaVision, but I definitely think it's made some questionable pacing decisions up to this point. That said, I'll probably do a binge rewatch shortly after the finale premieres to see if it holds up better when viewed in that fashion.

some of the defenses of the pacing in response to criticism are truly inane, I agree, such as "of course it feels like a movie split into episodes, that's a TV show!" (well, no, actually, that really hasn't been a common narrative model, even for heavily serialized shows, for the vast majority of the medium's history) or the somewhat similar "you can't criticize the pacing when you haven't even watched the whole thing yet!" (as though there's something wrong with critically evaluating the show on the basis of how Disney/Marvel are choosing to release it; they could have done the Netflix binge model if they wanted to)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Barry Convex posted:

these sorts of docs tend to be pretty bland, but this is airing the week after the finale so it could potentially be more interesting given that it can get into the entire series

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1361676709179891718

DISassembled

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Jimmy is gonna visit him in the post credits scene and asks the witness if he's okay.

"I don't feel so good...bub."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ouhei posted:

There's been way too much going on with Agnes for her to just be some townie trapped in there like everyone else.

I absolutely think it's Wanda all the way down. Maybe Agnes has magical powers or maybe she's just particularly strong-willed, that may be a plot point later, but I very much doubt she's behind anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I absolutely think it's Wanda all the way down. Maybe Agnes has magical powers or maybe she's just particularly strong-willed, that may be a plot point later, but I very much doubt she's behind anything.
In the old school comics Agnes Harkness was Wanda’s mentor. So she might not be behind anything, but she’s definitely part of it.