Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
tankies are so thoroughly cucked that they'll claim that china manufacturing and exporting semiconductors and smartphones in factories owned by billionaires and sold for profit is a triumph of communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Al-Saqr posted:

What's the difference between a computer telling you what to do versus a computer doing it itself?

read this recent page of the chess thread to find out with examples: (specifically sub rosa’s posts)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490241&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=91

even more specifically, that guy plays a lot of engine assisted correspondence chess where each player can use a computer to figure out their next move and they have 24+ hours per move to do so. on that page someone asked basically the same question you just asked and sub rosa explained in detail how the engines work, what their potential weaknesses are, and showed an example of a recent game of his where he picked a move that wasn’t even suggested by the computer and won the game and explained his reasoning and why it worked

fart simpson has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Feb 15, 2021

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Gaupo Guacho posted:

tankies are so thoroughly cucked that they'll claim that china manufacturing and exporting semiconductors and smartphones in factories owned by billionaires and sold for profit is a triumph of communism

are you ok?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gaupo Guacho posted:

i dunno, that seems pretty normal, like fans of apple computers and iphones. star trek fans, people who collect animes, etc.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Venomous posted:

Liberalism is inherently white supremacist op

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Idia posted:

Yasha Levine talks about it in his substack/podcast: https://yasha.substack.com/p/episode-2-russians-against-politics

The Russian liberals are far right much like anywhere in Europe. I can't tell the populace as a whole is rabidly racist since it's a multi-ethnic population or it's concentrated in the big cities and surrounding burbs. Russian emigres are a mostly racist bunch especially those who were raised in the 70s or 80s, older Russians seemed more chill in my opinion.

You can just sum it up with that Russians wholly bought into US propaganda but the rest of their argument that every Russian in every corner of the world is a frothing free market libertarian sounds insane. Plus their analysis of the soviet union and it's history just sounds totally wrong.

I understand that it's a podcast and it's just pure entertainment, but using it to inform any sort of political view seems ridiculous.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
chess sucks

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

You can just sum it up with that Russians wholly bought into US propaganda but the rest of their argument that every Russian in every corner of the world is a frothing free market libertarian sounds insane. Plus their analysis of the soviet union and it's history just sounds totally wrong.

I understand that it's a podcast and it's just pure entertainment, but using it to inform any sort of political view seems ridiculous.

I didn't get the impression that every Russian person is a frothing libertarian from their writings and podcasts. I've lived in NYC and have went to school with russian kids and watched most of them come out with really lovely politics. There's definitely a few that went the other way. The Russian emigres generally visit and stay within Russia for a large extent of time so they do influence national politics and vice versa. In some ways they're not any different backgrounds wise from other immigrants who have reactionary politics.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Gaupo Guacho posted:

How thoroughly cucked do you have to be to doubt that it's a good thing for America and its lackeys to lose the monopoly on high technology they use to strangle any country that doesn't lick their boots?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Actually I just think it's neat that china is the one country on the planet that disappears billionaires

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Gaupo Guacho posted:

how many billionaires has the united states put to death

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

how many billionaires has the united states put to death

this is a meaningless metric

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

indigi posted:

says who?

killing billionaires is an extremely important stat

THS
Sep 15, 2017

indigi posted:

it would mean a lot to me personally

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
If your system creates vast private fortunes extracted from the labour of the working class, occasionally getting rid of one or two rich guys doesn't address the problem

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Continuity NIP posted:

If your system creates vast private fortunes extracted from the labour of the working class, occasionally getting rid of one or two rich guys doesn't address the problem

:hmmyes:

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

what was the alternative? china had to let party officials/managers, hong kong, taiwanese, south korean, japanese, and american businessmen get rich in order to get capital it needed.

china is now too big to fail and can't be cut out or decoupled from the global economy. the alternative if the gang of four won out was capitalist encirclement, sanction, blockade

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

KaptainKrunk posted:

what was the alternative? china had to let party officials/managers, hong kong, taiwanese, south korean, japanese, and american businessmen get rich in order to get capital it needed.

it had to let party officials join the billionaire class ???

KaptainKrunk posted:

china is now too big to fail and can't be cut out or decoupled from the global economy.

cool so when do they start phasing out billionaires

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

indigi posted:

eliminating poverty in china is impossible without a mass redistribution of wealth. so, if xi is serious, something will have to be done.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

gotta give the billionaires a good 30 years to live large as a reward for decoupling the Chinese economy from capitalism

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

indigi posted:

it had to let party officials join the billionaire class ???

Long enough into the future that the idea doesn't threaten currently powerful people

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

indigi posted:

gotta give the billionaires a good 30 years to live large as a reward for decoupling the Chinese economy from capitalism

good luck getting money from the IMF or World Bank to develop your country if you dont enact policies that enable capital accumulation

good luck trading in a global capitalist system if you dont enact policies that enable capital accumulation

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

good luck getting money from the IMF or World Bank to develop your country

wait I thought China was already past this phase. receiving conflicted information here

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
https://twitter.com/HelvetinPastori/status/1360152639825190916?s=20

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

China is still on a per capita basis a developing country. It doesn't need aid from the IMF or World Bank obviously, but it is still pretty reliant on foreign trade and FDI. Xi does not want to rock the boat until China shakes off a lot of this dependency and dominates most sectors of technological development.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

indigi posted:

they might get to live in any event. mao killed a lot of landlords, but he also peacefully bought the estates of a lot of landlords

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

they might get to live in any event. mao killed a lot of landlords, but he also peacefully bought the estates of a lot of landlords

I’m fine with them living. I’m fine with them living well, tbh. I’d just like to see some systemic progress toward ending their obscene wealth

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
People should read Chuang for a Chinese dissident Marxist perspective on Chinese capitalism. You don't even need to buy the journals, there's a blog

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

indigi posted:

I’m fine with them living. I’m fine with them living well, tbh. I’d just like to see some systemic progress toward ending their obscene wealth

i think there's definitely been systemic progress, and conversely i wonder if there'll ever be a cathartic mask-off moment in which they're all expropriated or something like that even in the best case scenario. like you could imagine the state simply taking over enterprise after enterprise as owners retire or die off, taxing their inheritances into practical nonexistence, and just formally reorganizing work and pay scales in increasingly-common SOEs until private ownership is either a polite fiction or flatly impossible

obviously, this is just wishful thinking and it could as easily be the case that the chinese exit their keynesian honeymoon period in the neoliberal direction. but, for as long as they need foreign investment, they can't actually break the back of their state capitalism or flatly foreclose on the possibility of capitalists, domestic or foreign, striking it rich in china

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Gaupo Guacho posted:

I am not sure if you are talking about Huawei, but in case you are. It's not really a privately held company, it just has a very complicated ownership scheme to make it appear as a privately held company to the international capitals. Ren holds less than 1% of Huawei stock. That's why Ren talks and acts much more like a manager of a SOE than Ma Yun/Elon Musk/random famous capitalist.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am not sure if you are talking about Huawei, but in case you are. It's not really a privately held company, it just has a very complicated ownership scheme to make it appear as a privately held company to the international capitals. Ren holds less than 1% of Huawei stock. That's why Ren talks and acts much more like a manager of a SOE than Ma Yun/Elon Musk/random famous capitalist.

I mean if a cspam poster knows this I find it hard to believe they’re fooling international capital

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

indigi posted:

I mean if a cspam poster knows this I find it hard to believe they’re fooling international capital

It doesn't matter to the rest of the world except the US, which is already treating Huawei like a SOE anyway, since Obama admin.

And the company like Boeing might as well be state owned, because no matter what, the state is not going to let it fail. The US is just keeping it "private" for some fundamental, religious belief. Also for the different iterations of the satellite phone/internet networks, the US military just insist to have "privately funded" label on them for some reason.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 00:22 on Feb 16, 2021

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Al-Saqr posted:

lol I wasnt looking for anything I was just confused how the 'liberal democratic' opposition square this circle in their minds, I am under no illusion as to the general Chuddery of Russia.
in the past couple years under the auspices of the trump administration, the liberals supported a brutal autocrat genociding yemen, they supported escalating arms supplies to neonazi militias in ukraine, and they supported literal swastika-waving coupers in bolivia

liberals are perfectly content with materially supporting literal nazis and fascists and genociders they'll just lie that they dont

the hysterics of 1/6 juxtaposed with complete silence on obama & trump genociding yemen is a perfect demonstration of liberal priorities and perception

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/WFLA/status/1361416374266957824?s=20

It's 2021 and the flag of South Vietnam still flies in Florida

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Ngo Q Diem

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Arguably, China is right in the middle between a traditional export model of a developing country to the net importer of a more developed country. The whole point of the “dual circulation” model is to keep capital coming in from abroad via exports (to more developed states) while building aggregate demand at home. This will probably take at least 10-15 years to fully mature.

The PRC arguably really doesn’t need lending from the IMF or the World Bank considering their reserves.

As for Russia, open white nationalism/supremacy is still a thing and Navalny’s movement support often comes from that direction among certain groups of young people. (At least his more hard-core supporters, others are just sort of along for the ride). From experience, football ultras and punk rock fans would be groups into often Navalny. (I would say I have had some first hand encounters.)

That said, it is far from the only thing happening in Russia and I would say the majority of the country isn’t buying into it for one reason or another. Older generations who grew up most of their lives in the USSR usually don’t buy into it from my experience but younger people are often more mixed. That said, far from every young person is a budding Nazi and there is still a left/far-left out there as well and just a lot of people in in between.

As for why the West seems to be backing a guy like Navalny? Well, it mostly because the traditional liberal opposition collapsed on itself from lack of popular mindshare outside of Moscow. Navalny’s reach is broader since it includes elements of the far-right and he has been trying to keep his views on non-whites more low key in recent years but often he can’t help himself. That said, most polling shows that his base of support is still narrow on a nationwide scale and even people who can’t stand Putin have a hard time signing on.

That to be clear, a similar thing is happening across the West if someone wants to make an arguement about superior cultures.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Continuity NIP posted:

People should read Chuang for a Chinese dissident Marxist perspective on Chinese capitalism. You don't even need to buy the journals, there's a blog

i liked from victory to defeat

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Navalny is supported by the West because he has no political power. That's just what we're into these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

fart simpson posted:

i liked from victory to defeat
Interesting that it opens with an intro featuring the horrible revisionism and reformism of 1956 and 1978 but doesn't mention the NEP