Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I would assume it's because low-tech ranged items rely on the wielder's strength while high-tech stuff relies on the weapon and the wielder's ability to aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it kind of makes a blighted sort of sense in some of these games since firearms get baked-in systemic advantages that other weapons don't have (ignoring defense, etc.), vs. the weaker combat skill being relatively broad as a counterweight

whether that distinction is actually relevant in light of what a PC is capable of doing varies significantly

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

I would assume it's because low-tech ranged items rely on the wielder's strength while high-tech stuff relies on the weapon and the wielder's ability to aim.

2e Scion doesn't use linked Attributes, though. The player gets to decide which Attribute they're using for the task, which the GM may say makes something more difficult than another approach.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm talking in general how that stuff would apply to real life, idk what scion 2e's rules are since I don't own it yet

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Tsilkani posted:

2e Scion doesn't use linked Attributes, though. The player gets to decide which Attribute they're using for the task, which the GM may say makes something more difficult than another approach.
See, it says it doesn't, but then it also says

Origin p.116 posted:

When you have selected a valid target, you make an
Attack roll. The dice pool for melee attacks is Close Combat
+ Might, while Athletics and Firearms cover thrown weapons,
archery, and guns, respectively, and use different
Attributes depending on the range of the target.

Also

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it kind of makes a blighted sort of sense in some of these games since firearms get baked-in systemic advantages that other weapons don't have (ignoring defense, etc.), vs. the weaker combat skill being relatively broad as a counterweight

whether that distinction is actually relevant in light of what a PC is capable of doing varies significantly
Firearms don't ignore Defense in Storypath (at least not in Scion), unlike the horrible curse on the game that they are in CoD.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The immense power of your tactically operated 357 Freedom Penis that shoots refined eagle turds that scream out "MERKUH!" is also somewhat reduced by the rules on what your attack roll does. If you succeed, Inflict Damage is free (unless they have relevant 'Soft' type armor, in which case it's 1 or 2successes) and if you want to do a second injury condition/health level, that's 4 additional successes. So I don't think you *can* do more than two injury conditions in one shot even if you roll like twenty successes, although you could do two injury conditions, knock them down, shoot their gun out to the Short range band, and apply your remaining successes to Pin (which will put a complication on their next attack, which if they don't beat, they get a third injury automatically).

As for range, it works like:

Close - FROT
Short - Within 'move and attack' range
Medium - Fair bit but still in the same area
Far - In what is probably an adjacent area
Extreme - next zip code over; stacks for things like shooting the Moon in the balls

The attributes for what you attack with are as follows:

Close - Might (you are struggling for control of the weapon with your target, but you can still hurt them with it just fine)
Short - Might or Dexterity
Medium - Dexterity or Cunning
Long - Cunning
Extreme - Intellect

Melee attacks appear to always be Close Combat + Might, so I guess in Scion 2E the power stat is Might (cognate but not identical to Strength) rather than Dexterity, which makes the continued presence of Dexterity a lot easier for me to swallow!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Close combat: hit them

Athletics: throw shot at them or archer at them.

Firearms: pull a trigger at them.

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008

Nessus posted:

The immense power of your tactically operated 357 Freedom Penis that shoots refined eagle turds that scream out "MERKUH!" is also somewhat reduced by the rules on what your attack roll does. If you succeed, Inflict Damage is free (unless they have relevant 'Soft' type armor, in which case it's 1 or 2successes) and if you want to do a second injury condition/health level, that's 4 additional successes. So I don't think you *can* do more than two injury conditions in one shot even if you roll like twenty successes, although you could do two injury conditions, knock them down, shoot their gun out to the Short range band, and apply your remaining successes to Pin (which will put a complication on their next attack, which if they don't beat, they get a third injury automatically).

As for range, it works like:

Close - FROT
Short - Within 'move and attack' range
Medium - Fair bit but still in the same area
Far - In what is probably an adjacent area
Extreme - next zip code over; stacks for things like shooting the Moon in the balls

The attributes for what you attack with are as follows:

Close - Might (you are struggling for control of the weapon with your target, but you can still hurt them with it just fine)
Short - Might or Dexterity
Medium - Dexterity or Cunning
Long - Cunning
Extreme - Intellect

Melee attacks appear to always be Close Combat + Might, so I guess in Scion 2E the power stat is Might (cognate but not identical to Strength) rather than Dexterity, which makes the continued presence of Dexterity a lot easier for me to swallow!

All those Attributes are basically suggestions, the defaults when you don't have any better ideas. The book even has examples of using Cunning for a sword strike. (See the sidebar on Origin pg 62). The basic way the system works is the player picks the Skill, the GM decides what Arena (physical, social, mental) and then the player decides the exact Attribute. Though just both of you settling on an Attribute together works too. That should apply to everything, even combat. I've had a character that mostly used Might and Stamina for attacking, and a different one who relied almost entirely on Dexterity.

Also you can inflict more than 2 injuries in a single attack, with Scale. You get to apply the Inflict Damage stunt an extra time per point of Scale you have more than your target's. That's on top of the cap-breaking +2 enhancement. Scale is very powerful.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I noticed that the early parts of the systems chapter is very gung ho about letting you basically roll whatever attribute you want, while the actual combat chapter has much more concrete suggestions. Personally I'm inclined to take those suggestions as hard rules for turn by turn combat and only use the "stamina + close combat to tire them out! cunning plus close combat for a clever feint!" stuff to resolve abstracted one-and-done challenges, because otherwise the winning move is clearly to just max out your Stamina and use it for both attack and defense whenever possible.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

LimitedReagent posted:

All those Attributes are basically suggestions, the defaults when you don't have any better ideas. The book even has examples of using Cunning for a sword strike. (See the sidebar on Origin pg 62). The basic way the system works is the player picks the Skill, the GM decides what Arena (physical, social, mental) and then the player decides the exact Attribute. Though just both of you settling on an Attribute together works too. That should apply to everything, even combat. I've had a character that mostly used Might and Stamina for attacking, and a different one who relied almost entirely on Dexterity.

Also you can inflict more than 2 injuries in a single attack, with Scale. You get to apply the Inflict Damage stunt an extra time per point of Scale you have more than your target's. That's on top of the cap-breaking +2 enhancement. Scale is very powerful.
They could lay this out a little better, but yeah I forgot about Scale. I imagine part of why they laid out the rigorous list is that it didn't take up that much space and you have something to refer back to if you can't think of anything better. The shift of laser-focus away from Dexterity is already a massive step change over most of the OWOD games :v:

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008
Oh the Origin book is a loving mess. As much as I like Storypath system generally, the book has leftover rules from prior drafts, confusing explanations for core mechanics (looking at you, invoking Paths and Virtue shifts), and has weird splits in rules, like having most combat movement actions in the front under "Action-Adventure", forty pages away from the combat chapter. The Hero book has its own share of issues. Still, I think Storypath is the best of the Story* systems out there for more action-oriented games.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Looks like the Mummy backer PDF is out. I sure don't get to take a look any time soon. Any encouraging news or changes?

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Chris Allen (Acrozatarim) on Discord posted:

Stuff like dust beneath feet’s tier 2 no longer having the limitation on the strength increase (it was for non combat rolls previously), upping some numbers like the transformation boost in Blessed is the God King, and adding sideways new uses like Powr of Re’s “burning cultist” thing or its “cultists become stealthy night ninjas” thing, should all help round out the existing utterance set.

Apparently there are new utterances and changes to existing ones.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Dark Ages V20 game: Tried to ghoul a werewolf, the werewolf botched its gnosis roll to resist. Looks like someone has the perfect base for the best drat vozhd ever built! :getin:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Hello, friends, I could use some help.

I'm writing up an article on Earthblood, and see that our buddy Swedracula is still listed as head writer for the game (which shocking to no one is liquid dogshit). While that explains all the weirdness and inconsistency (like above average weirdness AND 90s era racism) present in the game, one thing got brought up that I'm curious about, and that has to do with word of Cahal being one of Ericsson's personal RP characters, but I'm having trouble confirming that part. Anyone with better Google Fu have a lead/citation on this? It'd sure explain a hell of a lot.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 18, 2021

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

90's era racism? Do you mean the Red Talons stuff?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Kavak posted:

90's era racism? Do you mean the Red Talons stuff?

Apparently there's some dialogue options that reveals to you that the old lady is or was homid Uktena so yeah that.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

V5 Trip Report: now that my group has had a few sessions to sit with the new errata, I'm a huge fan. Pushing the compulsions up from Bestials to Messy Crits is awesome and has turned every character into an even more impulsive dumpster fire who is barely holding it together, which is perfect. I rolled up a Tzimisce just to try them out and while I'm not really a huge fan of their adaptation into V5, I haven't really had a chance to go all out on some Ghouls or really even flex the limits of horrid form.

Probably the biggest letdown to me is that the new clan abilities were designed as amalgams and adaptations of existing disciplines instead of distinct disciplines, the way Lasombra got Oblivion. It's slick from a design perspective but ends up making you want to only dip in and out selectively. But maybe that's just a problem for fleshcrafting as it's a pretty niche ability, all told

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ew, Mage voters.

Old Boot posted:

I'm writing up an article on Earthblood, and see that our buddy Swedracula is still listed as head writer for the game (which shocking to no one is liquid dogshit).

Make him go away please. :ughh:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 19, 2021

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm not what France's laws are about crediting people in video games, but Earthblood was in development for almost four years and if he had any input they would include him. Remember how John Milius "worked" on Homefront by just giving them a concept or something but he still got touted as the main writer?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah you're also going to see his name on Bloondlines 2 because when that game started production he was still in his position

That's just how it works

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah you're also going to see his name on Bloondlines 2 because when that game started production he was still in his position

That's just how it works

Let's not jump to conclusions about Bloodlines 2 being released.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In light of the low quality of Earthblood (going by what's on the Internet, I did not play it), an underdiscussed point is that the the same Paradox company who okayed that for release thought Bloodlines 2 looked so bad they had to pull the brakes.

It certainly makes u think.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Kavak posted:

I'm not what France's laws are about crediting people in video games, but Earthblood was in development for almost four years and if he had any input they would include him. Remember how John Milius "worked" on Homefront by just giving them a concept or something but he still got touted as the main writer?

Normally I'd agree, it's pretty basic practice, but the aforementioned rumors caught my attention and I wanted to check into those. The sense I got was that it remains the original script he helmed, that Cyanide just decided to keep and work on without any significant overhauls, since the material is so juvenile it fits his overall repertoire.

The joke is that no one I've spoken to (myself included) can figure out who Earthblood is for except 'whoever wrote it.' It's clearly not for the TTRPG players, the lore is too messed up to make any sense at all, and it's clearly not for newcomers either, because there's too much mangled lore the game automatically assumes you should know.

EDIT vv same

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kuiperdolin posted:

In light of the low quality of Earthblood (going by what's on the Internet, I did not play it), an underdiscussed point is that the the same Paradox company who okayed that for release thought Bloodlines 2 looked so bad they had to pull the brakes.

It certainly makes u think.

this gave me a big fuckin oof

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Just make a new VTM: Redemption but make it a proper full-on RPG this time instead of pulling a swerve into Diablo-like, I just want some more cool WoD games again. I'd even gladly take a new Hunter beat em up like Reckoning.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm gonna stop yelling about wanting a soulslike Wraith: the Great War when it finally happens.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm gonna stop yelling about wanting a soulslike Wraith: the Great War when it finally happens.
Wraith would genuinely lend itself to this and you wouldn't even need to bend stuff too much, beyond possibly integrating some sub-system for your inevitable repeated sequence of harrowings. You could make it more of a roguelike, even, one way or another.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Old Boot posted:

The joke is that no one I've spoken to (myself included) can figure out who Earthblood is for except 'whoever wrote it.' It's clearly not for the TTRPG players, the lore is too messed up to make any sense at all, and it's clearly not for newcomers either, because there's too much mangled lore the game automatically assumes you should know.
EDIT vv same

Half of V5 is Swedracula's fanfic setting, it's possible he was trying to do the same with Earthblood. Or it could be for newcomers and just be really loving bad.

As for Bloodlines, the fact they went so far as to fire the leads makes me think more than the quality was in question. Some kind of malfeasance was involved, probably the guy above Mitsoda lying to them about progress or at least keeping him in the dark about how bad things were.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I finally got/started Vampyr recently and I really like what they did with it. There's clearly a lot of WoD inspiration.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I should try that again with the minimal combat mode, that was the only part I really disliked.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Yardbomb posted:

Just make a new VTM: Redemption but make it a proper full-on RPG this time instead of pulling a swerve into Diablo-like, I just want some more cool WoD games again. I'd even gladly take a new Hunter beat em up like Reckoning.

I said it before, but Kinfolk oldschool Doom shoot-em-up, DUSK-style. 'Your cousins have the moon's blessing to wage war against the festering blight. But you? You have a shotgun. It's time to get to work.'

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dog Mode in Rise of the Triad turned into an entire game, someone get on it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

I finally got/started Vampyr recently and I really like what they did with it. There's clearly a lot of WoD inspiration.

Vampyr's cool, I've been thinking of doing a new playthrough again some time after a pretty thorough hero doctor one when it came out.
Even trying to be good, I'll have to exert a lot of effort to not kill the ambulance man and nurse that are trying to hustle paid healthcare though. But hey if I do a max plagued one, then it's not a problem anymore anyway! :drac:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I got Vampyr for free on PS+, I should try it.

Nessus posted:

Wraith would genuinely lend itself to this and you wouldn't even need to bend stuff too much, beyond possibly integrating some sub-system for your inevitable repeated sequence of harrowings. You could make it more of a roguelike, even, one way or another.

Souls are already used as currencies, you'd jsut have to find a way to hand-wave Harrowings since you keep dying and coming back.

And Great War has a huge Civil War in the realm of the dead with giant WW1-era ghost monstrosities. Imagine a boss fight against the Skeletal Lord!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got Vampyr for free on PS+, I should try it.

Souls are already used as currencies, you'd jsut have to find a way to hand-wave Harrowings since you keep dying and coming back.

And Great War has a huge Civil War in the realm of the dead with giant WW1-era ghost monstrosities. Imagine a boss fight against the Skeletal Lord!
Your character has the blessing of the Lady of Fate, so you can get your rear end burned or be guaranteed some pretty good return. (You can also have some kind of Harrowing vignette to introduce narrative elements, a la the storyline in Hades.) You could have recurring foes who don't have this, so you will have to get past Brutal Helldiver With A Sideline in Reaping, Revenge-Crazed Brutal Helldiver, and then Spectre Helldiver at later points.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

Vampyr's cool, I've been thinking of doing a new playthrough again some time after a pretty thorough hero doctor one when it came out.
Even trying to be good, I'll have to exert a lot of effort to not kill the ambulance man and nurse that are trying to hustle paid healthcare though. But hey if I do a max plagued one, then it's not a problem anymore anyway! :drac:

I'm carefully cultivating all the different territories so I can do an insane killing spree and devour every last person once my Mesmerize maxes out, but I already missed a couple clues/people due to insufficient study of online guides :mad:

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm having players build characters for a game of Aberrant and right now some have pointed to me that the Maintained duration is much better than Continuous duration for some powers like Boost, and why the Reduced Duration negative power tag not only rewards experience points but improves the power.

Trinity Continuum: Aberrant posted:

Maintained powers require a modicum of the nova’s focus and concentration. So long as the nova is conscious and capable of action, the power’s effects continue. If the nova is rendered unconscious or incapable of taking any actions, all maintained power effects end. Some maintained powers require additional expenditures of Quantum points to maintain. If the nova chooses not to spend the points, or is incapable of doing so, the power’s effects end.

Trinity Continuum: Aberrant posted:

Continuous powers remain in effect for a certain amount of time without any further effort from the nova, usually based on the nova’s Quantum and power ratings, whether the nova is conscious and capable of action or not. The default is Quantum + Power rating in rounds, then minutes, hours, and days, and the power’s duration is listed with the base time, such as “Continuous (Rounds)”. Once the time expires, the nova can pay the power’s Quantum point cost as a Reflexive action to continue the power. If the nova chooses not to spend the points, or is incapable of doing so, the power’s effects end.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Old Boot posted:

I feel like with Earthblood they either heard everyone say "A sidescrolling beat-em-up is the only way they can make a good one." and then someone decided they knew better than everyone about what they wanted OR they said "werewolf dark souls" and they ended up with a ps2 x-men game.

Saman posted:

I may have posited that the Free Council is the DSA and that the Silver Ladder is Justice Democrats in the middle of all this, so...

I posted some other thing and got rid of it. Mage is about academic politics and while the DSA and Justice Democrats are sufficiently petty, they're not actually connected enough for Mages to give a poo poo about them in and of themselves? Like, there's also the idea that the DSA and JD would exist in CofD that feels kind of weird.

I mean, to get really magechat about it, the Silver Ladder and their political project are not described by the terms of modern political science, but even then, in those narrow terms... no?

Also, Chronicles of Darkness REALLY needs to have like, the state of Nova Napoli with it's hotsprings and buried supervolcano in place of Delaware. It really, really needs to do what the oWoD properties repeatedly said, for twenty pages at the start of every book, but with showing instead of telling. I really like Famous Gil, because that strangeness, to me, is the sort of poo poo the Mage should be about. That is an entire fictional obscure financial institution burrowed in deep, a part of the American defense/financial establishment controlled by a single Pylon. That owns.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

double posted.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 21, 2021