Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The Snyder fanbase has a toxic online contingent, one thats fairly gamergate-adjacent, but most nerd fanbases have that.

TBH I haven't seen any marvel fans jump on someone as hard as that one lady on twitter got jumped on for making fun of him using "Hallelujah" in a JL trailer, so maybe the Snyder fans are more "cult of personality"-ish? I try to avoid "fan" culture though so I may have missed something.

There were a lot of marvel fans that went absolutely apeshit when Scorsese said he didn't like marvel movies and they sure jumped on people who defended his take.

I feel like it's a futile exercise to suss out what the worst fanbase is. lovely people will find whatever excuse they can get their hands on to act lovely towards others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Someone said Joker is better than Deadpool and I am this close to getting their IP address.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn’t a bunch of Marvel fans lose their minds when the first movie with a female lead was announced?

Not saying one fandom is better than the other, just pointing out that everyone says and does stupid poo poo in the name of their “team”

This very forum was a vector for the Captain Marvel vs Alita: Battle Angel war over feminism.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Didn’t the first get to give The Avengers a negative review on RT get a brick through his window or something?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Srice posted:

Happen to have any citation for that? I believe it since io9 generally sucks, but it would be nice to have a link handy to show to pals that don't believe it.

I'll try to do some digging later to find it. It was from one of their end of year round ups from I think either 2017 or 2018.

Strangely enough last year io9 included Man of Steel on a list of one of the best comic movies of the decade so maybe things are starting to change there.

Hand Knit posted:

Didn’t the first get to give The Avengers a negative review on RT get a brick through his window or something?

At least one reviewer who didn't like Avengers got death threats from angry Marvel fans (and strangely enough, the reviewer was a woman). And of course remember all those definitely-not-Nazi Marvel fans who had such a great reaction to Idris Elba being cast as a Norse god?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

In short, fandoms are a land of contrasts.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Srice posted:

There were a lot of marvel fans that went absolutely apeshit when Scorsese said he didn't like marvel movies and they sure jumped on people who defended his take.

I feel like it's a futile exercise to suss out what the worst fanbase is. lovely people will find whatever excuse they can get their hands on to act lovely towards others.

I really do try not to get into fanbase crap, but the reason the twitter lady (I don't know her name) stood out to me is she's a nobody. Scorsese (who is right) is a renowned public figure making a public statement. Casting decisions are publicly broadcast on a wide variety of different outlets. In both cases, every gross shithead with an axe to grind knows about it. The twitter lady made exasperated/dismissive noises about a song choice in a trailer and spent two weeks getting death threats and doxx attempts. That feels different to me.

Also, lol if you aren't completely certain the brick thrown through the Avengers reviewers window had a Disney logo on it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I really do try not to get into fanbase crap, but the reason the twitter lady (I don't know her name) stood out to me is she's a nobody. Scorsese (who is right) is a renowned public figure making a public statement. Casting decisions are publicly broadcast on a wide variety of different outlets. In both cases, every gross shithead with an axe to grind knows about it. The twitter lady made exasperated/dismissive noises about a song choice in a trailer and spent two weeks getting death threats and doxx attempts. That feels different to me.

Also, lol if you aren't completely certain the brick thrown through the Avengers reviewers window had a Disney logo on it.

What I meant was that there were a bunch of nobodies out there who said that Scorsese was right, and those nobodies got a lot of poo poo for it. It was spread out over a lot of people for sure so it's a different case than the shittiest parts of the internet hyperfocusing on one person, but both situations are pretty awful!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Sia's autism film has a lower metascore than Cats and yet isn't even the lowest scoring movie out right now because this thing exists

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/breaking-news-in-yuba-county

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R_8pclwIqg

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The instant you start trying to suggest one fandom is less insane than another, it just makes me think it's your second day on the internet. What a ridiculous notion.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Aight so now we’re asking the big questions about fascism and the media, and everyone’s jumpin in with their guess at the link as if this hasn’t been extensively documented for like a century.

What movies do fascists watch?

The exact same poo poo you do.

Fascists don’t really have their own movies. Fascists have attempts at appropriating existing movies. They go after the Star Wars and Iron Mans first because those are the dominant franchises, even though they’re strictly ideologically liberal. They crave that dominance, and are fostering a narrative that they deserve it and it’s being denied to them. You’ve got Ted Cruz tweeting that we need more antisemetic actors in Star Wars, for purely that reason.

Nerds and fascists don’t actually read this stuff, so nerd-fascists certainly don’t. Do you think cops read Punisher comics before putting logos on their poo poo? Of course not. A few of them maybe remember the trailer for the Thomas Jane movie, but what they are actually fans of is “terrorizing poor people”.

So of course fascists will try to appropriate Superman; he’s the ubermensch! It doesn’t matter to them that Superman in the recent movies is explicitly left-wing and fights cops because they only care about his strength and how they can steal it. Have you noticed that nearly every fascist slogan of the last few years has been a parody of an existing progressive slogan?

The answer to all this is ruthless ideological critique, not blame-game goofiness. If were as easy as just isolating the bad fascist movies, then we wouldn’t have as big a problem. The bad fascist movies are already at the fringes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What movies do fascists watch?

The exact same poo poo you do.

Wrong. They watch that Ben Shapiro production about school shooters, or the collected works of Kevin Sorbo

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wrong. They watch that Ben Shapiro production about school shooters, or the collected works of Kevin Sorbo

As with nerds and comic books, nobody’s actually buying that garbage.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn’t a bunch of Marvel fans lose their minds when the first movie with a female lead was announced?

Not saying one fandom is better than the other, just pointing out that everyone says and does stupid poo poo in the name of their “team”

Those were comicgators my dude, not your regular marvel fan that watches fun movies for fun. It's the same guys that attacked a guy and his charity project that was gonna take black kids to watch Black Panther.

And yes, all fandoms have extremely toxic members. Snyder's fanbase have me baffled because some guys have extremely fragile egos, and get furious at the sight of a funny meme. But eh, best course of action when you stumble with a toxic fan is to ignore and move on with your life.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I recall someone mentioning it streamed for free for a limited time for daily wire paid subscribers and it later wasn't easy to watch without going through piracy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The Snyder fanbase just confuses me because when i think of him i think of 300 and Sucker Punch. Not exactly peak cinema.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

As with nerds and comic books, nobody’s actually buying that garbage.

I think people do buy them but its not for like, personal enjoyment, its so they can show it to a bunch of kids forced to join the church youth group summer program. Raw sales may underestimate the viewership if whats being bought is being used as propaganda rather than home entertainment.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Snyder fans are so sensitive about constantly being accused of being fascists and being whitewashed and demonised.

I think people do buy them but its not for like, personal enjoyment, its so they can show it to a bunch of kids forced to join the church youth group summer program. Raw sales may underestimate the viewership if whats being bought is being used as propaganda rather than home entertainment.

And we all know how much kids like knockoffs of popular culture with moral themes that they're forced to watch. At best, watching this stuff at home is only done as vice signalling.

But yeah, the point is with modern chuds is they're not actually satisfied having 'their own' versions of popular culture, they want to be dominant, hence the complaining about anything they don't like as 'Cultural Marxism' and assorted buzzwords straight from the actual Nazis. They take every opportunity to hijack legitimate or at least innocuous complaints and blame them on forced diversity or whatever.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Snyder is a great film maker, he just had the tragedy like Rian Johnson did Star Wars of touching fanboy holy bibles like Watchmen and Superman and doing something interesting with them.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Gatts posted:

Snyder is a great film maker

loving lol.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You'd think goons would recognise the phenomenon that happens over and over when anti-fandoms become far more toxic and belligerent than the supposed acceptable target they're railing against.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You'd think goons would recognise the phenomenon that happens over and over when anti-fandoms become far more toxic and belligerent than the supposed acceptable target they're railing against.

*looks at Last of Us, GRRM and Game of Thrones threads* hmmmm

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I do love reading pages of how beset upon the fans are every time Snyder is brought up in drat near any thread in this forum.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's worth noting that when you have a movie that's extremely ideologically fascist, like Pacific Rim, everyone loved it. Liberals were like "yay, one of the heroes is a Japanese woman" as she's literally stabbing a slave in the face. And it's not because GDT or any of the people involved are evil - all signs point to it being a botched satire (his next movie was about a team of working-class minorities rescuing the hated slave-monster(s) from government experimentation).

On the flipside, a leftist movie like Dawn Of Justice can appeal to fascists because the "alt-right" villain is partly based on Mark Zuckerberg. They can glom onto that, to bitch about BIG TECH CANCEL CULTURE or whatever, while quietly discarding the anticapitalism. The right-wing operates by taking legitimate issues that everyone is concerned about - like "Facebook is evil dogshit" - and providing easy answers - like "we just need to purify Facebook by putting real whites in charge and harassing minorities into leaving".

The point is the massive gulf between fighting movies and fighting people. Pacific Rim ain't that great, but eliminating it won't do anything against actual fascists. The people who like it aren't all fascists, nor are the people who made it. At most, critique of Pacific Rim only helps illustrate the appeal that fascist ideas can have with just about anyone.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

fancy stats posted:

I do love reading pages of how beset upon the fans are every time Snyder is brought up in drat near any thread in this forum.

He has 5 concurrent threads spread across 3 subforums talking about him so great filmmaker or not the guy is never going away and miserable aged goons will never hear the end of it.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 15, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

fancy stats posted:

Someone literally called Snyder fans fascists like two pages ago.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

A dumb trolling post on something awful? This will not stand.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

fancy stats posted:

A dumb trolling post on something awful? This will not stand.

So calling someone a nazi is just light ribbing, while you hearing someone be upset about it is just a bridge too far?

I dunno. Somehow, I think you'll find a way to deal.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 15, 2021

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

fancy stats posted:

Well, why don't you just stop. That lovely Blockbuster forum is right over there, you won't have to read anything there.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think it's time to move on. Feel free to chat about this more in the Snyderdome or the ZSJL thread

E: left out a word

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 15, 2021

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

“Most there be snyderchat?”

“There is.”

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's worth noting that when you have a movie that's extremely ideologically fascist, like Pacific Rim, everyone loved it.

:allears:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

There definitely were some DC people who accused Disney of bribing reviewers.

While that isn't the case, there is a grain of truth to it. With Disney owning the majority of pop culture now, reviewers are less inclined to be as critical of Disney. Any professional reviewer or press giving a bad review risks losing early access to seeing movie and risk losing those precious clicks. Disney doesn't need to bribe anyone, they can simply withhold.

It's exactly where gaming journalism was in 2005 and probably still is. There was a quote on this website to the effect of 'Reading a AAA review is like watching Hulk Hogan wrestle a no name. Hogan isn't going to get pinned by the giant pickle and Halo 2 isn't getting 7/10'

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

Snyder is a great film maker, he just had the tragedy like Rian Johnson did Star Wars of touching fanboy holy bibles like Watchmen and Superman and doing something interesting with them.

lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lid posted:

Sia's autism film has a lower metascore than Cats and yet isn't even the lowest scoring movie out right now because this thing exists

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/breaking-news-in-yuba-county

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R_8pclwIqg

when your plot involves listing a series of improv characters uhhhh

Gatts posted:

lmao

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Snowman_McK posted:

It's exactly where gaming journalism was in 2005 and probably still is. There was a quote on this website to the effect of 'Reading a AAA review is like watching Hulk Hogan wrestle a no name. Hogan isn't going to get pinned by the giant pickle and Halo 2 isn't getting 7/10'

For the last 10 years or so the big studios haven't given a poo poo about bad reviews, they know their base is going to the game no matter what he reviews say. A game like the new Halo isn't going to get a 7/10 not because of Microsoft but because the reviewers are terrified of the fanbase. You ask anyone that writes for a gaming website and they will show you the file they keep of all the death threats they get whenever they give score any game lower than a 9.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

For the last 10 years or so the big studios haven't given a poo poo about bad reviews, they know their base is going to the game no matter what he reviews say. A game like the new Halo isn't going to get a 7/10 not because of Microsoft but because the reviewers are terrified of the fanbase. You ask anyone that writes for a gaming website and they will show you the file they keep of all the death threats they get whenever they give score any game lower than a 9.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Didn't someone get a death threat for giving a game a 9.1 or something?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense. Didn't someone get a death threat for giving a game a 9.1 or something?

Back when he worked for Gamespot Jeff Gerstmann gave a Zelda game an 8.8 and people acted like it was the end of the world.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

Back when he worked for Gamespot Jeff Gerstmann gave a Zelda game an 8.8 and people acted like it was the end of the world.

This happened recently when Cyberpunk 2077 came out and people attacked a reviewer for criticizing the game for having an unskippable sequence of lights on screen based on a device that’s designed to induce seizures in epileptic people. And the review overall was still generally positive!

In other ZS, but not Justice League content,
https://twitter.com/cbr/status/1361428400154492929?s=21
Oh boy, finally we’ll see King Arthur on the big screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
oh cool, now we can actually have 300 just like the romans

and we dont have to be kanye simps and make the 300 = CCC = Calm Cool Collected galaxy brain stretch