Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

For the longest time I would have said Link's Awakening (see username) but Zelda 1 is so short, sweet and replayable. The Z1 randomizer is easily the coolest one I've seen due to the structure of the game. You've gotta know where all the entrances on the overworld are and the structure lends itself better to randomized dungeons than any other Zelda I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

the ancient cistern dungeon is easily the best part of skyward sword

cool dungeon boss, the whip is neat, and overall it might be the prettiest water temple in any zelda game

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

its criminal that nintendo wont release botw on other hardware, after running it on cemu

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

HORMELCHILI posted:

its criminal that nintendo wont release botw on other hardware, after running it on cemu

they released it on the wii u and the switch, two amazing consoles by nintendo. not sure what more you want OP

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Minish Cap is my favorite 2d zelda.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I could never find the second half of the final medal that gave you the music room which will haunt me forever

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Spoderman posted:

they released it on the wii u and the switch, two amazing consoles by nintendo. not sure what more you want OP

Switch Pro

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
a cool thing to do with skyward sword is homebrew your wii and mod in double clawshots ghat reach into infinity and can grab any surface, from the start

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

a cool thing to do with skyward sword is homebrew your wii and mod in double clawshots ghat reach into infinity and can grab any surface, from the start

or just turn off fi and dowsing. but you can do the thing you said in TP as well

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

or just turn off fi and dowsing. but you can do the thing you said in TP as well

its cool in skyward sword because it makes all the overworld search and explore areas really interesting and nonlinear, and the dungeons become insane

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I will always love Link Between Worlds most because it's the 3DS one and the 3DS rules, and there probably won't be anything like the 3DS again.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Link between worlds is quite sick. One of my favorite Zelda memories was wandering around the whole overworked as a lil noobeh, climbing down the whole volcano with like 4 hearts and sweating trying to fight off all the fire keese

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
only zeldas ive beaten are links awakening oot mm and link between worlds and while i have fond memories of links awakening dx i think link between worlds might have it beat. idk i should replay LA

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
It's pretty easy but it's so good I don't care

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
i've tried to get through the oracle games several times on 3DS and just eventually stop playing them. a little too gimmicky. I don't recall liking Minish Cap that much either.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
yeah ive bounced off the oracle games multiple times like bob said the overworld is too annoying to run around and find the one square thats changed between dungeons

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i like seasons but ages is doodoo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i have 100 percented every zelda game except for triforce heroes. i had to play the anniversary edition to get through Four Swords and i played most of the handheld games on emulation (it improves the oracles games a lot to have save states), and i haven't played all of the re-releases.

the worst game in the zelda series is probably four swords because of how hard it is to actually play it? like try getting that to fire up on an emulator and the anniversary edition is one of those weird Nintendo vault games. spirit tracks is probably the worst for punishing completionists but it's fine if you don't care about that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

minish cap was too short

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I see what you did there. :xd:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the Oracle games might be bad in reality but I have a lot of nostalgia for them so it clouds my judgment. haven't played them in years though. the only part of either of those games I remember disliking as a kid was the dungeon inside the fish. just unforgivably tedious

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the oracle games aren't good in a traditional Zelda way but some of the dungeons have very good 2D designs in a way that Nintendo would never have done. a lot of the rest of it just feels like Capcom trying to do a tribute to zelda on a time crunch, but it's got some ideas. it's hard to fault the mini games for being so bad because of the hardware they were on and "you have to play both games twice to get all the rings. also, fight maple 200 times or w/e :D " obviously doesn't age well, but it's just interesting to see what someone else would do with zelda.

Minish Cap, even with stuff like kinstone fusions and the figurines, feels a little more like a traditional zelda game. the oracle games are the only ones that feel like an entirely different company with an entirely different mindset but a lot of love tried to design zelda games.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i think the overworld in minish is junk as well but it doesnt really get in the way of the rest of the game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

i think the overworld in minish is junk as well but it doesnt really get in the way of the rest of the game

minish cap is weird because it's one of the capcom ones i'm pretty sure but it feels way more nintendo than the oracle games? the overworld being junk sort of sums it up, it feels like "here are all of the zelda characters for some reason!" and getting anywhere is kind of a chore, but the dungeons and boss battles are decent. i think i was more impressed with it before A Link Between Worlds.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

BotW is the only game in the last 20 years where I felt like I was 12 again being completely blown away multiple times by the scale and depth of a new game

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

wrt the Oracle games Seasons > Ages

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

minish cap is weird because it's one of the capcom ones i'm pretty sure but it feels way more nintendo than the oracle games? the overworld being junk sort of sums it up, it feels like "here are all of the zelda characters for some reason!" and getting anywhere is kind of a chore, but the dungeons and boss battles are decent. i think i was more impressed with it before A Link Between Worlds.

yeah its capcom as well

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

BotW is the only game in the last 20 years where I felt like I was 12 again being completely blown away multiple times by the scale and depth of a new game

I felt that way for Mario Odyssey first time through too, but for some reason even though I still think it's great, the mindblowing feeling didn't quite hold up. Botw did though

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I love both Seasons and Ages, the dungeon themes are some of the coolest in the series and they went nuts with the dungeon items. Its not really a matter of looking for what changes after a dungeon really, the trees in the main town pretty much always tell you where to go after one and the overworlds are more or less metroidvania style where you use the dungeon item to get to the next area. Though it can be a little more confusing in Ages with time travel I don't think it's that bad at all. I think they're also the only Zelda games where link can punch poo poo which is pretty badass.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

the worst game in the zelda series is probably four swords because of how hard it is to actually play it? like try getting that to fire up on an emulator and the anniversary edition is one of those weird Nintendo vault games.

I played 4 swords in a buddies basement and we all had GBAs and it was so fuckin fun, the 4th player was always the friends lil brother and he was so easy to goad into full blown temper tantrum meltdowns which was hilarious at the time but looking back i guess it was pretty mean

4 swords with GBAs ftw

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I was almost gonna make a post how I think OOT occupies an untouchable place in my memory because that kind of awe and wonder at a game was really only possible as a kid. This makes me super psyched for botw

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This is pretty much how I felt about it and why I like it so much. I still haven’t done a second play through yet because I wanna recapture that feeling.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it's a truly incredible game that way. i can't think of a game since like... the original dragon quest that made me feel like i could gradually just explore a world, have cool discoveries and come back to the places with the bad bosses and try them again without consulting a big menu and giving myself points. nintendo managed to create an open world game without almost any leveling mechanics (but it still sort of has things like difficulty gates, without labeling them). it's supremely awesome that it feels like you gotta run away when a lynel or a guardian shows up in your first playthrough but you get to the point where you're just wasting both of them.

it's maybe in my top 10 favorite games of all time.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Breath of the wild is the greatest game of all time

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Thinking about the Triangle Theory and screaming. Ninty has done it again

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Same tbh

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Its still blowing me away playing again 4 years later, especially with the games that have came out since, no other AAA release has come close to the level of attention and polish and its also remarkable how consistent it is

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i wasnt as impressed by botw because i couldnt stop thinking about the most obvious and easy ways to improve it (play as zelda, zelda could be black, zelda could be overweight to promote body positivity)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1361676737730519042?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thank You Nintendo