Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

A MIRACLE posted:

Honestly check your local community college lots of them offer intro piano classes

i need advanced piano lessons, and online.

Martytoof posted:

The Piano thread may have some good ideas for distance learning in this climate. I’m doing TalkingBass courses for bass guitar and I bet there’s some really good piano equivalents that walk you through a curriculum.

Unless you’re specifically looking for one on one which may be difficult right now but maybe it’s easier for piano v:)v

E: Not Piano specific but I forgot I bought this course ages ago and never got around to going through it — seems like now would be as good a time as any!

https://www.udemy.com/course/music-theory-for-electronic-music-complete-parts-1-2-3/

neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mad Dragon posted:

This is the "no idea how to use one" part. :shobon:

in that case don't go for a workstation directly, 3/4ths of its options will lie pretty much dormant until you've figured that part out (i mean scrolling through the presets is a really cool timewaster or figuring out how the synths work on that thing is also cool, but not $2500 cool)

the hardest part about learning piano by yourself is that

- nobody checks your posture
- nobody checks your finger placement
- nobody comes up with material you specifically want to learn to play

apps like simply piano are pretty neat but they won't correct you and that correction is necessary to do things the right way, and they also have lowest common denominator songs so if you want to get really into a certain genre you need something else

the theory bits are cool but even cooler if you learn how to play them and how to recognize them, preferably in music you enjoy already

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
First track with the MN 0-control (driving the Verbos HO). This thing is stupidly fun

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/no-control

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Does u-he ever have sales?

Diva sounds really good.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
You missed the big sale they had with Native Instruments back in December.

As a rule, u-he does not have sales. If you want Diva but don't want to pay full price, try KVR Audio's marketplace for a secondhand license.

If you thought Diva sounds good (it does), Repro sounds even better :)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

First track with the MN 0-control (driving the Verbos HO). This thing is stupidly fun

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/no-control

really liking the drums on this.

Learned the Erica hats A doesn't have sequencer jumper, but I'm getting really nice hat/perc sounds with the analog four so I'm good

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Does anyone have a list of USB MIDI interfaces that have WDM MIDI drivers? I'm getting a little tired of MIDI jitter and unstable latency in Windows, and supposedly the new(ish) WDM MIDI implementation helps alleviate that quite a bit, but my old EMI X-MIDI 2x2 doesn't seem to have WDM drivers, the MIDI ports on my audio interface don't seem to have them either. So, just wondering what actually does?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

really liking the drums on this.

Thanks. It's inspired from this:
https://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/mystik-dubstep/

I recommend the whole series (https://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/), it's really great when you have a drum machine, no background (like me) but just want a little push in the right direction so you can spend more time playing music.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I recommend the whole series (https://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/), it's really great when you have a drum machine, no background (like me) but just want a little push in the right direction so you can spend more time playing music.

Thanks man. I actually was listening trying to figure out the shaker / hat sounds in the track and how I would program that. It’s something that’s always eluded me with dnb style drums. I’ll check that link out when I get back

e: sweet I'm gonna make some Benga beats on the techo system later. Also I bought some irl egg shakers recently because it doesn't come with a shaker / cabasa sample lol. learned that egg shaker is its own instrument
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNStVlJWy88 everyone remembers this one right

can we bring the phiz dubstep thread back from 2009 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEyCHMO_cH8

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 9, 2021

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

toadee posted:

I just really wish I knew what all is going on in the production of Universal Indicator Green

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This doesn’t in any way take away from the MPC but I just tried Renoise on the PC and then Protracker on the Amiga and man..... MPC is great for noodling around, but it’s clear that I *think* in linear tracker terms. It’s so much easier for me to write what I want when I don’t have to do it on the fly to a beat, because I’m bad or clumsy, but rather when I can insert note after note.

I can *ALMOST* duplicate what I want with MPC’s list edit mode with various time correction settings but it’s clear I’m just trying to force one workflow on something not designed for it.

Once Polyend makes the Tracker available again I might see if my fun toy budget can absorb the hit because I really think the tracker experience minus a computer might be hella fun.

E: The list edit mode thing is kind of hacky but it works. But it’s not great. Definitely not intended for that :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 14, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Just watched Jakob Haq’s interview with Hainbach about his/Sinan Bökesoy’s Fundamental app.

https://youtu.be/UTkiiel_i_4

I’ve had Fundamental for about a month+ now and I like it well enough for what it is, but it is a bit obtuse and it’s meant to do a really specific niche thing, and it’s not for everybody.

But then they brought up this other app, called auGEN X. Oh Boy. You all need to get auGEN X.

It’s super worth the $20, definitely my favorite music software purchase since I got V Collection last year.

It’s a tone generator (and apparently useful for calibration and science projects if you need tone generators), but it’s a performance tone generator. Within five minutes I’d made a bunch of cool pads and ambient bits. It’s really neat. I don’t know of anything that quite does what it does with that much immediacy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

I can *ALMOST* duplicate what I want with MPC’s list edit mode with various time correction settings but it’s clear I’m just trying to force one workflow on something not designed for it.

Yah, this is why you want a keystep into the MPC and noodle it out and then record in, and then time correct if needed. The pads thing I never got too much, and I'm giving it a go now that I have a Live2, but it does everything. If you want your typical sequencer you can use the MPC PC software I think for that precise keyroll.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Martytoof posted:

This doesn’t in any way take away from the MPC but I just tried Renoise on the PC and then Protracker on the Amiga and man..... MPC is great for noodling around, but it’s clear that I *think* in linear tracker terms. It’s so much easier for me to write what I want when I don’t have to do it on the fly to a beat, because I’m bad or clumsy, but rather when I can insert note after note.

Once Polyend makes the Tracker available again I might see if my fun toy budget can absorb the hit because I really think the tracker experience minus a computer might be hella fun.

E: The list edit mode thing is kind of hacky but it works. But it’s not great. Definitely not intended for that :haw:

Have you ever used any of Elektron’s stuff? People compare them to trackers a lot, and I find the workflow way easier to wrap my head around. I’d maybe look into getting a Digitakt before trying to find a Polyend.

A MIRACLE posted:

Thanks man. I actually was listening trying to figure out the shaker / hat sounds in the track and how I would program that. It’s something that’s always eluded me with dnb style drums. I’ll check that link out when I get back

e: sweet I'm gonna make some Benga beats on the techo system later. Also I bought some irl egg shakers recently because it doesn't come with a shaker / cabasa sample lol. learned that egg shaker is its own instrument
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNStVlJWy88 everyone remembers this one right

can we bring the phiz dubstep thread back from 2009 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEyCHMO_cH8

Lol, yes bring on the 2000s dubstep revival. I’ve been listening to Benga and old dubstep on repeat https://youtu.be/gwFJFOl4KwA

And this https://youtu.be/LvNVX0RRYb0

imhotep fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 15, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think the biggest con to MPC software is that I don’t really want a computer around at all. I don’t trust myself to not get distracted on youtube or forums or discord. And honestly, if I was going to go back to a PC I’d probably just go to Ableton with my MPD24 that’s collecting dust. Or maybe give Renoise the old college try :)

I’m going to keep plugging away with the MPC though; I think my Tracker tangent was kind of an outpouring of some small frustration at how imprecise editing the grid with the small touchscreen is, but I mean I can’t really have my cake and eat it too — either I’m using a precise input method like a mouse on a nice big screen on a PC, or I’m using a portable device with some touch controls jammed into a small form factor.

I actually haven’t looked at any Elektron stuff at all but if I do decide that I want to branch out I’m going to do a little more research for sure. I’m not married to buying a Tracker right now, and I hopefully keep my GAS in check because honestly I don’t really have time to learn a second platform while I’m still very much learning the MPC.

And for all the small annoyances I find, I still really enjoy it. Above all, I think I’m just bad at finger drumming and my natural sense of rhythm isn’t amazing so I find it a lot easier to paint a song together in a timeline or grid rather than record events in realtime. Once I get better at that I think it’ll be a lot easier.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 15, 2021

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Trackers being so closely associated with a computer and a keyboard, the idea of 'buying a tracker' I think is really a new one. It's like, made for Unix Beards who hate taking their hands off the keyboard. So let's say someone was interested in making a mod file Amiga style, cutting lots of samples. What might be a good way to do that? Audacity maybe? Is there a great resource that teaches everything to know about how to make great samples?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

The Polyend Tracker is so intuitive and morish, there's just so many ways to get sound whenever you need it and it's so easy to get really experimental.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Just got a subharmonicon. I have no idea what I'm doing and I love it.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Cheese Thief posted:

Trackers being so closely associated with a computer and a keyboard, the idea of 'buying a tracker' I think is really a new one. It's like, made for Unix Beards who hate taking their hands off the keyboard. So let's say someone was interested in making a mod file Amiga style, cutting lots of samples. What might be a good way to do that? Audacity maybe? Is there a great resource that teaches everything to know about how to make great samples?

True, my old roommate uses Renoise and he’s very good at it and I was always kind of jealous watching him use it to quickly make patterns only using the keyboard. Also I don’t think there’s any ‘right’ or ‘good’ way to make samples, and the people I know who are best at it just kind of feel it out by ear, whether that’s by using a mouse and preparing samples before, or by messing with a sample’s start time using a piece of hardware. I’ve had a lot of success with the digitakt and model samples just by placing samples on a trig and parameter locking the start time and just trying things out.

In Ableton, I resample things a lot and sometimes I like to ‘randomly’ generate textures or sounds or whatever and using the slice to midi function is great, you can choose to slice by quarter, eighth, sixteenth notes, etc. or by transient, and I usually use the transient setting and adjust the amplitude envelopes so there’s a tiny bit of release. Even though I’m not good at playing pads like MPC style, it’s still fun and I find cool little patterns sometimes, but usually I use some sort of combination of max for live and the midi effects in Ableton to generate sounds, and like putting an LFO on the sample start time with a simpler or sampler with a sample and hold waveform set so it’s long enough that it stays on the same start point every time it triggers is easy to do and fun. But, I think using the slice to midi function and playing around with the slices and seeing which ones work and which don’t would be an easy and quick way to try things out, if not just by ear.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Polyend Tracker even has a built in FM radio so you can snag samples right out of the air :cool:

I’m really talking up the Tracker, I hope it stays out of stock until this gear lust passes :q:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

a computer with a startup script that boots you straight to the daw, no internet connection and a custom keyboard that has play/stop/record and commonly used functions grouped sensibly together on labeled keys.

I got an atari st basically to be able to not need a computer. but I succumbed to the ease of not having half a dozen pieces of hardware plugged in, hooked up and mixed down. if all your synths, samplers and drum machines are hardware though, 35 year old cubase functions really really well. like, it doesn't just run surprisingly well for such an old system and software, it runs well compared to modern stuff. lack of color and screen size and odd iconography are pretty much the only things about it that seem dated.

really the synth thread answer to the question is maximalism and self flagellation. y'all need some hardware samplers and dedicated midi sequencers to break away from any general computer distractions. as a bonus, because you have to spend 1/2 an hour loading stuff before you can play, it will make your art feel more like toil

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Speaking of art and toil, I’ve been procrastinating on both indie game dev and music making by trying to make music on the sega genesis FM sound chip. And by that I mean, I’ve spent like 5 hours just getting a “hello world” assembly program to compile and run on a genesis emulator, lol. If I thought synth documentation is bad, I wasn’t at all ready for console hardware docs.

Even worse: it turns out that the genesis’s FM chip is controlled by a separate CPU that requires a separate Z80 assembler, and then I need to include the Z80 binary in the assembly code of the “main” CPU (a 68000).

The genesis homebrew community has already made a convenient C library for doing all this, but I’m on a mission to do it all from scratch so I can understand how people actually did this poo poo back in the day.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I hate the toil so much that I can't even bring myself to play an electric guitar because it's just too much trouble when an acoustic is pick-up-and-play. I in general do not enoying _playing_ synths like I enjoy playing real instruments. I only do it because it's powerful. I hate the mess, the costs, the wires, the user manuals, the GAS, as well as the majority of youtubers a m b i e n t g e n e r a t i v e poo poo that is boring and pushes a hard line between tasteless button mashing and listenability. I hope in some years down the line I can get past that hump and use the tools well.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

giogadi posted:

Speaking of art and toil, I’ve been procrastinating on both indie game dev and music making by trying to make music on the sega genesis FM sound chip. And by that I mean, I’ve spent like 5 hours just getting a “hello world” assembly program to compile and run on a genesis emulator, lol. If I thought synth documentation is bad, I wasn’t at all ready for console hardware docs.

Even worse: it turns out that the genesis’s FM chip is controlled by a separate CPU that requires a separate Z80 assembler, and then I need to include the Z80 binary in the assembly code of the “main” CPU (a 68000).

The genesis homebrew community has already made a convenient C library for doing all this, but I’m on a mission to do it all from scratch so I can understand how people actually did this poo poo back in the day.

All i have to say is good luck with that. Back in the day I wouldn't think any one solo developer did the work. Didn't they have teams to share the, what I would infer to be, misery? In other words, hopefully you can find other people into that so you don't have to do it all alone, and make progress.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

as part of the dev kit there was basically a tracker and patch editor. I'd be surprised if more than a handful of games have, like, ground up sound and music engines. I don't think op is seeking how it was usually done, they're seeking how the person who made the tracker and patch editor that went into the dev kit did it. they want to be Ustvestia from phantasy star 2

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Are you talking about GEMS? If so I think that came a little later in the genesis lifecycle. Either way, I actually wouldn’t mind using a tracker and patch editor - but I want to write the sound driver that takes the output of those tools and actually generates the beeps and farts! But first things first - the next victory I’m pursuing is to just get any instruction at all to run on the Z80. Once I have that flow working, then I’ll try to talk to the FM chip.

Edit: just looked up ustvestia and yeah that’s the dream honestly

giogadi fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 15, 2021

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

The original PC based trackers, Scream Tracker and Impulse tracker, were both single man jobs, and both written in x86 Assembler (Scream Tracker was written by a member of Future Crew so I suppose extensive Assembler knowledge was already there for working on demoscene stuff, also probably had already written the mod playing engine in Assembler for their demos so it was just a matter of slapping a gui and editor onto it).

Cheese Thief posted:

Renoise has a built in sample recording and editing suite, which is plenty to cut samples for tracker music. The thing with Trackers is there's plenty of ways to get things done, and honestly the best teacher is just looking at other tracker files. I don't know if thats still a thing though. Like back in the day I had literally hundreds of .s3m's and .it's and .xm's (and .mods, heh), and I'd listen to them for fun, but then also study like, how did people arrange things. It was invaluable really for learning how to use a tracker. I dunno if there's still a tracker scene like that, although Renoise will still load all of those old file formats and play them, so you can just go find an old MOD archive and go to town.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cheese Thief posted:

It's like, made for Unix Beards who hate taking their hands off the keyboard.

This is so completely true for the buddy who I know who has using nothing but since the Amiga days. He's done a lot of work and toured around. Watching him sit down and come up with something is like watching someone typing 150wpm or more. Every little adjustment to every little note with shortcuts cuts copies moves.

The Elektron comparison is sort of apt in how they allow you to adjust every note in a multitude of ways, and again, you're copy pasting and moving just like in a tracker. The main difference being Elektron is a straight-up sequencer on steroids rather than a top-down down of a tracker. I love my Digitakt and while I can't do all the fancy stuff the amazing youtubers do it does allow me to quickly bang out the simple stuff within minutes. It's just unfortunate they don't really have a song mode so they get regulated to amazing improv devices.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I used Scream Tracker a lot in mid nineties - early 2000’s. Used to be able to do everything with just the keyboard, made hundreds of songs/things on it. Tried it out again maybe 6 years ago and discovered that I had forgoten everything, it was extremely limited and lovely. Tried Renoise and got a bit further with it before abandoning it and going back to my regular DAW.

Last summer I bought a Renoise lisence for my laptop and spent some time with it.
Went back to Live in a couple of weeks, just so used to visual arrangment and being able to see waveforms, moving sections/tracks around etc. No going back for me.

Also have digitakt and analog keys, the pattern chain in akeys would be loving great if it was possible to save chains. Only usable ”song mode” is to have another sequencer send the program changes, worked great on live when I tried it but not something I’d do normally.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
That's awesome. Have you tried ReWire/Renoise + Ableton Live at the same time? People say they work really well together.
I totally prefer any drum and bass using the tracker setup because it's tighter and easier to for me to count the beats. But with waveforms like a messy, distorted guitar, Ableton would be better. I hate dragging waveforms around with a mouse, it just hurts my hand and is a slow and grueling process.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Just started watching this and thought some people here might be into it, it’s Silkie talking about how me made one of the tunes from his new record on Deep Medi https://youtu.be/QcWHKLx0ETQ

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

amechanicalapple posted:

Just got a subharmonicon. I have no idea what I'm doing and I love it.

I have one of these coming on Thursday, so excited to gently caress around with it and the DFAM

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Cheese Thief posted:

So let's say someone was interested in making a mod file Amiga style, cutting lots of samples.

1) Get Renoise
2) Get the full contents of the Mod Archive - http://tracker.modarchive.org/
3) Start learning the techniques from the good tunes (but there's lots of crap in there as well, mind you)

Amiga mods (or mods in general) have distinct styles. Cracktros, chiptunes all use tiny samples and they're more played as a SID chip. The Shadow Of The Beast atmospheric tunes sounds were mostly sampled from existing workstations/sample-based synths. The 90s eurodance/rave stuff is sampled from the original records and reassembled, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4M7e79XTYk

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89wq5EoXy-0

I've used Fasttracker II. One of the tricks is simply to take an existing .mod or .xm file and to save the individual instruments you like as .xi - (instruments, basically - they contain the sample plus a bunch of settings). Why do your own work when someone already did the effort for you?

If you had a Gravis Ultrasound, FT2 was capped at 512k/1 megabyte (because it used the on-board memory of the card and that topped out at 1 megabyte). If you had an AWE32, you had your full RAM at your disposal because it used that instead of soundcard memory.

quote:

Is there a great resource that teaches everything to know about how to make great samples?
It's not the samples that are great - it's the arrangement and what you'd nowadays call automation - the per-step codes that control volume, panning, pitch, portamento and lots of other stuff.

The "great samples" in tracker context are those that have seamless loop points - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnIpmDO0tyk and percussion that is pre-EQd and pre-compressed, because you didn't have these built in the tracker. You'd simulate a 303 by moving the loop start point in a single sample with the resonance baked in.

As for breakbeats - you'd have the whole breakbeat, the individual instruments (first kick, first snare), some individual chunks (like two hihats with a bit of swing built in). Loop points didn't need to be found in a completely perfect way - you could just retrigger the breakbeat sample at the start and leave a bit of silence at the end if necessary. By sticking to the 64-step thing, you could retrigger it halfway - much like you'd cut it up nowadays and put it on the grid - to create more complex patterns. By pitching the individual instruments/snares you'd get some of those UK hardcore style things like in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXgHJ3IgNK8&t=2883s .

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 18, 2021

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Renoise does mod files? Is it accurate? I always used Milkytracker for mod. Anyway that's neat info thanks for sharing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well it's payday and I've got a discretionary bonus in there so I may come home with a Polyend Tracker. Ordinarily I'd feel bad about GAS but music is keeping me sane in a lovely lovely crisis period so I won't overthink it.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Got a Microfreak in the mail

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

a lovely freak

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
catte looks like a Stevie Nicks song

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Where does the MIDI port go? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

Got a Microfreak in the mail

Sweetwater really stepping up their treats packages, huh