Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I appreciate him going Full Method when he does.

See also:

Oh no, what a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Antigravitas posted:

Oh no, what a snipe

:discourse:

Also Kim Justice has a new vid on Jurrasic Park for the Sega Mega Drive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDC_mmBOdk&ab_channel=KimJustice

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have some pretty fond memories of disintegrating small dinosaurs with Grant’s taser, and of eating them with the raptor.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Libluini posted:

Speaking of Final Fantasy, the Run Button guys started a 7-part Marathon of Final Fantasy VIII. It's hilarious, mostly because the one playing knows next to nothing about how the mechanics work and even with explanations, he bumbles around like a 5-year old playing his first video game. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFBMIZ0WbHo

He keeps un-equipping all his skills because he can't wrap his head around junctioning, it's amazing. I'm also sucker for bad GF jokes. :v:

I didn't realize these guys were running a semi-successful youtube channel now! I remember when they posted their first LP of Silent Hill on the forums, watched the whole thing. It was simultaneously as entertaining as it was frustrating, I suppose in the way most blind LPs are. I wonder how long ago that wa--

YouTube posted:

Published on April 14th, 2012

Jesus Christ :corsair:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kim Justice posted:

The algorithm has certainly blessed him mightily, he's everywhere. Good on 'em.

Question for folks: Do you often find yourself more attracted to vids if they've got an "anti"-clickbait thumbnail? Like, a thumbnail that answers the question from a title? It's pretty effective on me, I think it makes me more interested in how the person's going to get to their conclusion. I'm experimenting with one today.

If you're not sure what this is, Adam Neely does it a lot (from "What is the Misty Chord?")

Clickbait/anti-clickbait thumbnails kinda wash over me now; maybe it's because I've been watching YouTube videos for years now, but so many creators I follow eventually cave on them because of the algorithm that I don't fault any of them for doing it.

Titles, on the other hand, bother me a lot more. Stuff like "Top 10 _____" or "You WON'T Believe What [insert your favorite creator here] Just Did!" are going to be videos that I avoid like the plague

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Instead of making individual videos of getting each smash character into elite smash, alpharad did a huge marathon of getting every remaining character in, all in a row.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szSsGCoa86w&hd=1

On his journey, he encountered a K rool player by the name of Ironwill, and it is legendary. I can't believe he ran into him that many times in a row

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Captain Invictus posted:

Instead of making individual videos of getting each smash character into elite smash, alpharad did a huge marathon of getting every remaining character in, all in a row.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szSsGCoa86w&hd=1

On his journey, he encountered a K rool player by the name of Ironwill, and it is legendary. I can't believe he ran into him that many times in a row

And so many ragequits, my god.
Those two Lucinas were the worst.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
How is Nintendo so offensively bad at online stuff? It's loving 2021 and they still haven't figured out that they need to have some kind of penalty for repeatedly quitting out of ranked games?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Sydin posted:

How is Nintendo so offensively bad at online stuff? It's loving 2021 and they still haven't figured out that they need to have some kind of penalty for repeatedly quitting out of ranked games?

They literally don't care. Even now, I think they would avoid doing anything online if they could

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
There was that poo poo in the news recently where it was revealed they haven't updated their online gaming infrastructure since about the Gamecube era.

As to why, probably the same reason Nintendo does anything weird and lovely the way it does: withered Japanese executives whose success is in spite of their efforts rather than a result.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Technically ragequitters do lose points apparently. But it shouldnt punish the one who wins.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's a story from from Wii U era where a game developer referenced XBL/PSN features they'd like to see on the system, and Nintendo told them that nobody working on the system had used XBL or PSN :eng99:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
iirc, Nintendo's blind spot with online integration is because they don't hire in, they train up existing staff. So their practical knowledge is non-existent compared to other devs that have twenty-odd years of playing with such system inside and out.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc, Nintendo's blind spot with online integration is because they don't hire in, they train up existing staff. So their practical knowledge is non-existent compared to other devs that have twenty-odd years of playing with such system inside and out.

Which, let's be honest, works incredibly well to cultivate the nontangible feeling that you are playing a "Nintendo" game. There is a distinct culture that they've built, and it is truly unique.

On the whole, I can't say I really care about online features from Nintendo, given how strong their single player experiences are consistently. Perhaps there is an argument for carefully outsourcing their online features, but I would be really sad if they lost their corporate culture. It's bad enough that microtransaction-y DLC is beginning to sneak in.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I get that to a degree, but if they're going to keep pushing for online features, they also need to smarten up on how to do so.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't use it because it's another expense to be paid to do so and none of the games I'm playing have felt like they needed online to be complete so I haven't bothered.

But if they're going to have online as a feature to their games then it shouldn't be awful. Definitely should be at the decency of a Luigi's Mansion in three years.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Bee posted:

I get that to a degree, but if they're going to keep pushing for online features, they also need to smarten up on how to do so.

It's this. I don't care about their online features as long as they're not important. But the more important they become the better they kind of need to be. Like Street Pass. Street Pass was basically a jank-rear end system that worked really well in Japan but not in a lot of places like America unless you just sat downtown at a gamestop or something. But as long as it was just like, goofy messages that maybe gave you a potion or a brief exp bonus or something it was easy not to care about. But as the system's lifespan went on the features would occasionally become weirdly important until you wound up with situations where whether or not you could get the strongest equipment in the game or do the post-game content at all depended on your ability to get lots of street passes with no in-game alternative.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Looking forward to Jenny's beanie baby video
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1361795879615692801

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When we celebrate someone’s growth as a thinker and a critic, this is exactly what we mean.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Look, I'm just glad Jenny's Beanie Baby video is gonna come out in a time where scalping no longer exists in our society.

Scalping Beanies I mean. There's no more Beanie Scalper Market I'm pretty sure.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

That's a really clean chroma key. Good stuff.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Oooh. I look forward to that. Beanie Babies and Ty Warner are an incredibly interesting subject, me and Larry were kinda obsessed with them for a bit a couple years back.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
That's the perfect use of a green screen.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Patrick H Willems - A Complete Guide to Pop Music Needle Drops in Movies

https://youtu.be/8O8DHdJ8U6E

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nuebot posted:

That's the perfect use of a green screen.

No the perfect use for Greenscreen and Chroma Key is to he magically whisked away to... Delaware.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Look, I'm just glad Jenny's Beanie Baby video is gonna come out in a time where scalping no longer exists in our society.

Scalping Beanies I mean. There's no more Beanie Scalper Market I'm pretty sure.

I started work at a comic store right at the tail end of the craze. It was wild. The aftermath of people holding onto their stuff way too long if they wanted to turn a profit on it was also a thing. They thought they were going to fund their kids' college tuitions with it (which admittedly was far from the only thing I saw people think they had a gold mine with).

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Being born in in 93 I remember somehow getting dozens of Beanie Babies as gifts. They were cheap I guess?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

No.1 Special posted:

Patrick H Willems - A Complete Guide to Pop Music Needle Drops in Movies

https://youtu.be/8O8DHdJ8U6E

never watched this channel before but this feels like a bad sign

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Violet_Sky posted:

Being born in in 93 I remember somehow getting dozens of Beanie Babies as gifts. They were cheap I guess?

For the stuff people were just picking up in stores they were 5 dollars. I specifically remember this because I saved up some money to get a beanie baby. I think it was the white dragon.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
They were also everywhere and at lots of gift stores, kind of like Funko Pops now. I'm looking forward to it too. From Jenny's Twitter, she's also going to go into how massive the fade was and cover all the side markets, like clothes, that popped up.

I know that there are still aspects of this with toys and things like Funko Pops, but man, the 90s were really the era of companies just churning out collectibles to profit off of people who thought that their commemorative copy of Superman's death would be worth millions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A fun little background detail from a recent Jenny video was that she made/bought a giant Beanie Baby tag for her big spider plush.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

flatluigi posted:

never watched this channel before but this feels like a bad sign

What about it, and why? It just seems like explaining terms.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

LibrarianCroaker posted:

What about it, and why? It just seems like explaining terms.

it's spelled diegetic

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

They were also everywhere and at lots of gift stores, kind of like Funko Pops now. I'm looking forward to it too. From Jenny's Twitter, she's also going to go into how massive the fade was and cover all the side markets, like clothes, that popped up.

I know that there are still aspects of this with toys and things like Funko Pops, but man, the 90s were really the era of companies just churning out collectibles to profit off of people who thought that their commemorative copy of Superman's death would be worth millions.

Wasn't it around the time that news stories started appearing about old comic books/baseball cards selling for millions?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah i didn't really like that needle drop video

felt like he was really bad at articulating why he thought some choices were better than others past the fact that he liked the movies themselves better

also had a laugh at him calling A REAL HERO AND A REAL HUMAN BEING in drive subtle, and a bigger laugh at underlining how good it was to use rage against the machine's wake up in the matrix for the scene where neo has just woken up and flies off to rage against the machines

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/patrickhwillems/status/1361828356296179713

I think he knows now lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
maybe it just makes him want to dia

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
a cool feature of youtube is that theres no way to upload an edited version of a video you've already uploaded which you would think would be an obvious thing to do for situations exactly like this and now that we don't have annotations you can't even just mash the correct word over your mistake

i too have been trapped in the typo trap and just went "oh my god please don't make me delete it and upload it AGAIN"

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
To be fair, if you asked me to spell diegetic off the top of my head I would have made the exact same mistake Willems did in his video.

However, if I made a video about it I probably would have spell checked it first as well. But it's not a big deal, if posts on SA were marked for spelling and grammar lots of people would fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
That's an oops.