Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

lads going down Superdrug at lunch and getting stuff to do that, I don't know what else they expected to happen.

as a kid we had some college students come down to our school to do the 'drugs are bad' talk and when they started listing off various ways to abuse solvents you could see the 'glue can get you high!?' looks going around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

One of our old neighbours was on that show and said AR was really nice to all the contestants between rounds so they didn't feel bad when she was playing things up for the camera.

:yikes: for that clip though

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Bobstar posted:

Funny, I've just been listening to Bullshit Jobs which goes into this phenomenon at length. Two relevant things are the fact that employers (and their bootlickers) believe they are buying the employee's time ("you're on my time now, so look busy"), and that this is the natural way of employment rather than a recent thing specific to our society;

Well this is really the left's fault. You see Karl Marx in writing about socially necessary labour in terms of hours, therefore

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I mean as the other posters said it involves paperwork so the police will probably just steal it off you anyways, but not providing passwords when requested is a criminal offence of its own under the RIPA.

Which technically means you could be charged and founf innocent of an offence but still go to prison for not providing a password during the course of that investigation. (I doubt this would actually happen but the police and CPS are cunts).

Oh also (I forgot this one) it's a criminal offence not to provide a copper with your name and address of they suspect you of being anti-social.

Bear in mind that this is specifically under the circumstances of a written, court granted RIPA order, NOT just a formal request even if that request is in writing. I was once arrested with a bunch of other people and at the vail date, which the solicitor didn’t deem it necessary to be present for, they separately waved in our faces ‘formal requests’ to unlock the phones they’d previously seized. A bunch of people did, mistaking it for a RIPA notice, and when I quizzed them they even said at first that it was a RIPA notice. I decided to actually read the thing first though and it was quite clearly not, so after some back and forth and getting confirmation that refusing to sign and refusing to hand over my password was not an offence at this moment, I told them to get hosed.

They never actually got a RIPA notice and I mercilessly ribbed my comrades for allowing the filth to trick them so easily

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

It all comes down to lazy management / people who don't know how to manage. As they've never been shown they manage the only way they can - by monitoring the time spent on 'tasks', rather than the outcomes.

I don't know how true it is, but I've read that the idea of paying for 'time' from workers in general wasn't really a thing until the invention of the assembly line and affordable clocks, until then people would be paid a piecemeal rate depending on bushels of corn collected etc.

Yeah, there are more than a few guys who seem to think screaming = management. They don't seem to have evolved their style with the times, this has caused more than a few fights.

I remember her appearance on Room 101 in early 2000s when she wanted to get rid of Wales. Always got to say something shocking rather than interesting I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

We never had that, but we did have:
• Former addict comes to tell us 'just the facts' which apparently includes 'cannabis is the most dangerous gateway drug ever' which ruins all the rest of the message just a bit.
• Screw comes to tell us how prison life is including how inmates make things out of a toothbrush, a disposable razor, and a cigarette lighter to give nonces marks, which I guess was supposed to be a 'prison is violent' message but just led to lads going down Superdrug at lunch and getting stuff to do that, I don't know what else they expected to happen.
• Chemistry teacher goes on a derail about how drugs work that's actually interesting but I don't think was on the social responsibility sheet, he just went in his own direction. More of this imo, I can still remember why levomethamphetamine is a good decongestant but dextromethamphetamine can cause increased risk of Parkinson's type neurological deterioration.

We had the drama teacher do a live-action re-enactment of us being herded off the cattle cars at a concentration camp by turning all the lights off in the classroom for two minutes and then turning them back on and screaming at us in zee jerrman aksent to get off zee train

I can't actually remember why he did that or what it was supposed to teach us, but he did do it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the police routinely lie and tell epople they won't get bail if they don't talk despite this being illegal

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Guavanaut posted:

We never had that, but we did have:
• Former addict comes to tell us 'just the facts' which apparently includes 'cannabis is the most dangerous gateway drug ever' which ruins all the rest of the message just a bit.
• Screw comes to tell us how prison life is including how inmates make things out of a toothbrush, a disposable razor, and a cigarette lighter to give nonces marks, which I guess was supposed to be a 'prison is violent' message but just led to lads going down Superdrug at lunch and getting stuff to do that, I don't know what else they expected to happen.
• Chemistry teacher goes on a derail about how drugs work that's actually interesting but I don't think was on the social responsibility sheet, he just went in his own direction. More of this imo, I can still remember why levomethamphetamine is a good decongestant but dextromethamphetamine can cause increased risk of Parkinson's type neurological deterioration.

We had some father and son pair come in when we were about sixteen to give us a talk about the undefined ‘drugs’ that the lad had been addicted to, and then they made a big show of sending all the teachers out so we could ask ‘any questions you want, no judgement’. Except I could see the deputy head lurking behind the stage, literally with a notebook poised and ready.

Also at that point I was probably one of the few boys in the school who had never touched anything illicit (I had a shotgun licence and was paranoid about anything that might affect it. God I was an idiot as a teenager). Probably two thirds of my year got high in the park every lunch, and you’d regularly find traces of white powder on top of the toilet tanks.

We did have a police liaison team come in the year before to teach us ‘Urban Survival’, which included self defence stuff. That was kind of fun- I got to go completely ham and beat up a copper in protective padding. Except at 14 I was already 6’ and 16 stone. I was the only one to get him on the ground from my year, then I stamped on his knee just as we’d been told. Apparently he was off work for about three weeks after. Probably the only time I’ll ever get to injure a tool of the state utterly consequence free.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno I think a shotgun license sounds a lot more fun than drugs. And also probably a bad thing to combine with drugs.

I also enjoy the idea that going to a posh school they get the cops to come in and teach you how to rumble with the povs lest tarquin be accosted by ruffians.

I think the only cop assembly I remember was when they sent someone in to tell us that there was no such thing as "mischief night" and basically to sort of vaguely threaten us all about it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 16, 2021

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno I think a shotgun license sounds a lot more fun than drugs. And also probably a bad thing to combine with drugs.

I also enjoy the idea that going to a posh school they get the cops to come in and teach you how to rumble with the povs lest tarquin be accosted by ruffians.

I’d never actually looked at it in that light before, but holy poo poo you’re right. I suppose the clue was in the ‘urban survival’ name, which as an adult 25 years later makes all the local dogs start howling.

And it’s debatable which is more fun between guns and drugs. Tbh both are amazing, but not at the same time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

notaspy posted:

The left is never going to get out from under anti-Semitism until we move on from Corbyn.

WRONG

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Camrath posted:

We had some father and son pair come in when we were about sixteen to give us a talk about the undefined ‘drugs’ that the lad had been addicted to, and then they made a big show of sending all the teachers out so we could ask ‘any questions you want, no judgement’. Except I could see the deputy head lurking behind the stage, literally with a notebook poised and ready.

Also at that point I was probably one of the few boys in the school who had never touched anything illicit (I had a shotgun licence and was paranoid about anything that might affect it. God I was an idiot as a teenager). Probably two thirds of my year got high in the park every lunch, and you’d regularly find traces of white powder on top of the toilet tanks.

We did have a police liaison team come in the year before to teach us ‘Urban Survival’, which included self defence stuff. That was kind of fun- I got to go completely ham and beat up a copper in protective padding. Except at 14 I was already 6’ and 16 stone. I was the only one to get him on the ground from my year, then I stamped on his knee just as we’d been told. Apparently he was off work for about three weeks after. Probably the only time I’ll ever get to injure a tool of the state utterly consequence free.

Looks like you had that covered.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I might be the outlier but I definitely can not imagine the idea of the police coming to your school to teach you how to fight people.

That isn't a thing you get unless you join the cadets or something, the implication in my part of the country was definitely that most of us would be in jail soon anyway but we shouldn't make any trouble before we get there.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Even in South Africa in the early 80s we had the "fake tattoos contain drugs" scare. Given a moment's thought, it's the stupidest thing ever. Why give away a valuable, non-addictive drug to children who don't have money to buy more and would not be able to identify the source (seller) even if they could afford it?

In year one of high school we had the anti-drug play which showed the descent into hell from puffing on a joint. At aged 12 it was terrifying. When they came back three years later for an encore it was hilarious. The most memorable aspect was the soundtrack, Rodriguez's Sugar Man.

therattle fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 16, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Pancake (well crepes) toppings, I tried that sugar & lemon thing but didn't see the big deal. Homemade strawberry jam will always be #1 in my book. Other options include
-Jam with some ice cream
-Jam with whipped cream
-Butter and sugar
-Butter and honey
-Sweet condensed milk

Yes I got diabetes.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I might be the outlier but I definitely can not imagine the idea of the police coming to your school to teach you how to fight people.

That isn't a thing you get unless you join the cadets or something, the implication in my part of the country was definitely that most of us would be in jail soon anyway but we shouldn't make any trouble before we get there.

It was ‘self defence’ however the message they sent loud and clear was that if you have to fight and can’t get away, the best defence is loving someone up as fast and hard as is possible. Together with detailed instructions and practice on how to do it.

This was the mid nineties, so it’s possible the guidance has changed since..

Edit: Now I come to think of it, I did a fair bit of Krav Maga training a few years back when doing security for Jewish schools etc, and a lot of the stuff seemed similar from a philosophical and practical point of view. Not sure if that would have informed a police liaison team in the mid nineties, but yeah

Camrath fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 16, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Camrath went to an independent school so they can be trusted, mere plebs cannot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was in school in the 90's, albeit probably a few years behind you. Very definitely can not imagine being encouraged to fight at all. Pretty sure that's a posh kid thing :v:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Red Oktober posted:

It all comes down to lazy management / people who don't know how to manage. As they've never been shown they manage the only way they can - by monitoring the time spent on 'tasks', rather than the outcomes.

I don't know how true it is, but I've read that the idea of paying for 'time' from workers in general wasn't really a thing until the invention of the assembly line and affordable clocks, until then people would be paid a piecemeal rate depending on bushels of corn collected etc.

On the other hand: I used to be supervisor in a customer complaints department. Most of the complaints were easily dealt with and the clerical staff could handle around 10 a day. Some, however, were much more complex - these involved complex alarm systems in large buildings where the wiring had been changed over years and the maintenance and charging records had become completely muddled. These could take days to sort out, but still only counted as one solved problem. I put my best clerk on these (she was a woman in her late 50s who had been made redundant when a large technical operation in the locality had closed down - I was in my mid-20s at the time.)

One day, the head of the typing pool who was also the general manager's secretary dropped in to see me and said 'I think you should know Mary only does one or two letters a week while the others do 40-50.' I explained to her that sorting out a refund for a missed service call took about 10 minutes of clerical time but sorting out the complete mess of intertwined alarm systems all in one large building in Covent Garden took considerably more braincells and effort and days off effort. If pay had been on a 'letters written' basis, poor Mary, far and away my best clerk, would have been earning peanuts.

Convex posted:

Amusingly my first lesson in "don't trust the police" was at primary school when a policeman came in, in uniform, to give us a talk. The head introduced him, then he said he'd bought sweets in for everyone, so we all rushed in to grab some. He then stopped us and said that we shouldn't take sweets from someone we didn't know.

Thanks, 80s policeman.

This happened in the 60s too. A policeman came to our tiny, rural junior school to give the 'don't talk to strangers' lesson. We (self & sister) had a 3/4 mile walk up the country road after school to get home. The policeman came past in his car and offered us a lift. We accepted. He said "you shouldn't accept lifts from strangers" and we said "but you're not a stranger you were just in the school." so that is how a couple of 5 and 6 year olds understood it!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

therattle posted:

Even in South Africa in the early 80s we had the "fake tattoos contain drugs" scare. Given a moment's thought, it's the stupidest thing ever. Why give away a valuable, non-addictive drug to children who don't have money to buy more and would not be able to identify the source (seller) even if they could afford it?
That does sound like the sort of thing that Wouter Basson would get up to. Which does make me wonder how much of the urban legend drug scares in various places is projection of poo poo that security services actually got up to, but moral panic'd into "but what if some random bad person did that to our kids?"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

An update on my old man, since people were kind enough to show concern: he's still got to have a COVID test just in case but the doctors are confident it's "just" a standard chest infection type of deal & so he's been loaded up on steroids & antibiotics & hopefully that'll kick his lungs into gear. Which is not the worst diagnosis all things concerned. Not quite prepared mentally to bury him yet.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

forkboy84 posted:

An update on my old man, since people were kind enough to show concern: he's still got to have a COVID test just in case but the doctors are confident it's "just" a standard chest infection type of deal & so he's been loaded up on steroids & antibiotics & hopefully that'll kick his lungs into gear. Which is not the worst diagnosis all things concerned. Not quite prepared mentally to bury him yet.

Lung stuff is the absolute worst so I wish you guys the best on that one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had a similar scare earlier in the year, I hope he pulls through.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Convex posted:

Amusingly my first lesson in "don't trust the police" was at primary school when a policeman came in, in uniform, to give us a talk. The head introduced him, then he said he'd bought sweets in for everyone, so we all rushed in to grab some. He then stopped us and said that we shouldn't take sweets from someone we didn't know.

Thanks, 80s policeman.

This is all reminding me of the famous Bash quote about the cop passing three joints around the classroom to show students what they looked like, saying "and I'd better get all of them back", and getting four joints back.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheMattWain/status/1361612436902715393

:psyduck:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm starting to wonder if I've had long covid symptoms for the last ten months. I had barely any symptoms at the time beyond a cough and losing smell/taste (and didn't get a positive test because testing kits were like gold dust) but I've had mild breathing problems ever since (with a week or two in the summer where it got a lot worse). I've had an xray which ruled out anything serious and they've tried several nasal sprays, inhalers and medications which have done gently caress all. No one I've spoken to has even entertained the possibility that it could be covid related though. :shrug:

stev fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 16, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Camrath posted:

LMFAO, king poo poo

Camrath posted:

Edit: Now I come to think of it, I did a fair bit of Krav Maga training a few years back when doing security for Jewish schools etc, and a lot of the stuff seemed similar from a philosophical and practical point of view. Not sure if that would have informed a police liaison team in the mid nineties, but yeah

Remember that even speculating about this is dispositive proof of anti-Semitic thought and that Crobbins is personally responsible for leading you astray

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What.. religion..? Being good at football?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Convex posted:

One of our old neighbours was on that show and said AR was really nice to all the contestants between rounds so they didn't feel bad when she was playing things up for the camera.

:yikes: for that clip though

yeah it's a gimmick, what happened was the show started off with her being a generic host, chatting to the contestants, "you did very well and we're sorry to say goodbye" when someone got voted off, all that stuff

then one show the entire team was awful and she had to say things like "well you weren't very good, were you" because she didn't have anything nice to say, and the producers loved it and told her to take it up to 110% all the time

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 16, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I would actually consider sending my kid to a fee paying school if it meant they got to beat up coppers

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

the head of the typing pool who was also the general manager's secretary dropped in to see me and said 'I think you should know Mary only does one or two letters a week while the others do 40-50.'
loving scab

Hope it works out alright, forkboy. My (mid-60s) dad had something similar, 2 years later he's back doing manual work for fun. Fingers crossed

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It's definitely implying Catholicism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
English Protestants are well known to be the least antisemitic peoples. The only way to restore this balance is *checks notes* anti-Irish sentiment, which is also not something they are usually predisposed to.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Camrath posted:

Can't help but imagine you in full tiger bodypaint as this was happening

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

I didn't know this, I thought you could decline to provide a password (hence smarter to use than biometrics), but that's probably from reading American internet.

I'm assuming this is one of the many, many things they've pushed through as 'anti-terrorism', of course.

IANAL but AIUI it's a really complicated patchwork because it depends on exactly what crime you're alleged to have committed, how the device happened to come into the police's possession (e.g. they have a warrant for specific information on the device vs. it just happened to be in your pocket when you were arrested) and whether or not the device is encrypted (an unintended consequence of the rubber-hose cryptography bits of RIPA was that now a conventional password is legally different to a password that is also a decryption key, with the latter being a bigger hurdle legally).

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Borrovan posted:

I would actually consider sending my kid to a fee paying school if it meant they got to beat up coppers

Another memory comes to mind. While we were doing lessons on alcohol (and Why It Is Bad) in Biology around that time, my chemistry teacher (and sometime celebrity) the amazing Andrew Syzdlo was teaching us how to make a still.

We ended up doing ‘shots’ (okay, not full sized ones) of pure distilled ethanol just before going home. That man knew how to teach teenaged boys better than anyone.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

It's definitely implying Catholicism.

And as we all know, Manchester has absolutely no presence or history of Irish/catholics

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Sanford posted:

Can't help but imagine you in full tiger bodypaint as this was happening

Tiger?! I’ll have you know I only ever got made up as a lion. Or occasionally a hyena/gnoll.

Tiger, I ask you.

And the only person I ever violenced in body paint was a gay French kangaroo at Eurofurence who tried to put his hands down my pants and got thrown over a table.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do actually know that one because there's the song about it.

E: manchester not you throwing furries through tables.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm honestly surprised that Tower Hamlets and Bradford weren't on the list but I guess Irish are antisemites is the new hotness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Living in Dublin, it's definitely not being good at football. (It's also not Catholicism, but that's a more nuanced take)