Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

FilthyImp posted:

"You know they say all films are created equal, but you look at me and you look at The MCU and you can see that statement is NOT TRUE! See, normally if you go one-on-one with another franchise, you got a fifty/fifty chance of winning. But I'm a cinematic freak, and I'm not normal! So you got a 25 percent at best at beat my films! And then you add Batman to the mix? You-the chances of winning drastically go down. See, you got a 33 and a third chance of winning. But I! I got a 66 and two thirds chance of winning, cuz Disney KNOOOWS they can't beat me, and they's not even gonna try. So, MCU, you take your thirty three and a third chance minus my twenty five percent chance (if we was to go one on one) and you got an eight and a third chance of winning. But then you take my 75 perchance-chance of winnin' (if we was to go one on one), and then add 66 and two thirds…percents, I got a 141 2/3 chance of winning the Box Office! The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you!"

I streamed on Twitch for like three hours and came back to 150 posts and this is the ONLY good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
We all know the funniest notes of all time is the Sony Amazing Spiderman ones.

And Spidey does douchebag marathon poo poo! Yolo!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How lame everybody thought the Sony notes were proves it actually would have been appropriately nerdy for the loser Peter Parker

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
0h i remembered what it was. Tough mudder lol

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

catlord posted:

Wait, they cut that scene? I was under the impression that was one of the most important ones, the one scene where Rorschach allows his humanity to show through and he does the decent thing, despite that being antithetical to his Objectivist, black and white world-view, and the one scene where he allows himself weakness and a momentary shade of grey. It's foreshadowing to his later confrontation with Doctor Manhattan in Antarctica, and arguably foreshadowing his own death.

Edit: I've only seen the end of Watchmen, from about reaching Antarctica to the credits, so I'm not super sure how close or not the earlier sections are to the source material.

?? Rorschach dies in Antarctica because of his absolutist Objectivism, which arguably is the more decent and humane stance in that moment. not sure how it is foreshadowed by this scene

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lt. Danger posted:

?? Rorschach dies in Antarctica because of his absolutist Objectivism, which arguably is the more decent and humane stance in that moment. not sure how it is foreshadowed by this scene

Well, take his opening diary entry and his discussions with his therapist after his capture and there is a definite strain of grim misanthropy. He has set himself apart from humanity, is barely connected. He gets busted out of jail, has that moment where he experiences empathy, seeing this kid that's just like him, and he compromises, he pulls back. Shortly afterwards, we get him tentatively and awkwardly thanking Nite Owl for getting him out of jail, the scene where he's been so starved of human contact and kindness that he's unsure how to shake hands. He gets to Antarctica, and he sees the horror that Veidt's unleashed, and he's appalled. He is no longer the figure that will look down at the masses begging to be saved and say 'no,' he's experiencing empathy in ways he hasn't in a long, long time. I don't think it's coincidence that in both the apartment scene and his death scene he's unmasked. He isn't Rorschach in those moments, he's Walter Kovacs, and he's feeling pains he's long buried beneath the mask. The scene in the apartment is a mortal wound to Rorschach, a repudiation of his world-view as established in his opening diary entry. The way I see it, Rorschach was born at the scene he describes to his therapist ("It was Walter Kovacs who said "mother" then, muffled under latex. It was Kovacs who closed his eyes. It was Rorschach who opened them again."), Rorschach died in the apartment when he compromised for once, and Walter Kovacs died in Antarctica.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Rorschach is a misanthrope because most people fail to live up to his absolute and unflinching moral standards. he doesn't, like, hate human beings per se, and admires those few people who do act ethically (e.g. President Truman or his father). he chooses death in Antarctica because he believes that we should "never compromise, not even in the face of Armageddon", not because he's rediscovered his humanity. empathy isn't the root of his ethical system; Rorschach at the start of the comic would make the same choice he does at the end for the same reasons

as noted Rorschach is also already selective in how strictly he follows his code, when he lets Moloch off for possession of illegal drugs

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
That's fair. I would say that you're right, in that empathy isn't the root of his ethical system, but in having an act of empathy in such a way, it's throwing the flaws of his ethical system into stark relief. I would read his last act as a complete collapse of his world and his eventual and tragic acceptance of that. He has rediscovered his humanity, and it's in brutal misalignment with his moral code, and it tears him apart. I'd say the Rorschach at the beginning would make the same choices, probably say the same things, but the reasoning and the character has changed. But then again, as you note there's plenty that would work against that reading, so eh.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm realizing I'm no longer compatible with many of the things I used to enjoy, star wars being a main culprit. Sometimes you just gotta let it go and let people enjoy it.

Yeah I came to the realization on watching the last movie that I’m kinda tired of this poo poo now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I just really like that Alan Moore's reason for Rorschach removing his mask was "I dunno. It looked cool?"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

X-O posted:

I think that whether you like the movies or don't it's pretty obvious that Snyder Talk is a poisoned well at this point and anybody that drinks from it turns into a raging idiot. I'll be glad when this is released and there's some actual discussion from those that watch it and then we can put it to bed for good.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hopefully Justice League: League Harder has a bit as cool as the one where Batman uses an M60 to kill that guy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m still mad that Snyder ruined that line in the movie.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shirkelton posted:

Hopefully Justice League: League Harder has a bit as cool as the one where Batman uses an M60 to kill that guy.
hey now he only shot the fuel tank, that guy totally made the choice to turn on his flamethrower, just like that other dude made the choice to pop the pin on his hand grenade, see, no blood on batman's hands there

I mean he could have just straight up shot the guy with the M60 like the original Frank Miller comic, and it would have been an all around more sensible response to not-firefly holding an innocent old lady hostage, but I guess sticking to the strict code of only murdering dudes with vehicles and vehicular-based weaponry that all cinematic batmen must adhere to was more important

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The United States posted:

hey now he only shot the fuel tank, that guy totally made the choice to turn on his flamethrower, just like that other dude made the choice to pop the pin on his hand grenade, see, no blood on batman's hands there

I mean he could have just straight up shot the guy with the M60 like the original Frank Miller comic, and it would have been an all around more sensible response to not-firefly holding an innocent old lady hostage, but I guess sticking to the strict code of only murdering dudes with vehicles and vehicular-based weaponry that all cinematic batmen must adhere to was more important

Zack Snyder said they're fine dude

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think it's ok if Batman kills in self defense against lethal force or to save a life. And not ok if he kills out of anger or revenge. I think the no kill rule is dumb.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Roth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxWE7TPK3eA

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Roth posted:

Yeah they're not fine, like if a fuel tank on your back blows up and destroys the whole room you're not fine dude

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think it's ok if Batman kills in self defense against lethal force or to save a life. And not ok if he kills out of anger or revenge. I think the no kill rule is dumb.
Yeah that sounds about right, plus Batman has never had a no kill rule in the movies, I think the only movie where he didn't kill anyone was Batman & Robin?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was joking in his commentary when he says "That guys fine don't worry about him"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
We've been over this a dozen times

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He's fine.

They're fine.

They're fine.

He's fine.

jokes

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I've already explained why this is a stupid as hell comparison.

Why the gently caress are we resurrecting this dumb dumb argument again. Stoooop

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 17, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fangz posted:

I've already explained why this is a stupid as hell comparison.

Congrats?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Can't be, jokes are funny.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lurdiak posted:

Can't be, jokes are funny.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It is funny that like every superhero kills people all the time. And people only tend to have a problem with one in particular because of a cartoon they watched as a child

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Love to watch spider-man decapitate bank robbers. God this is so mature. Too bad this is a movie for babies and children or it might be culture.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Do you think bad guys suffocate when Spider-Man shoots their face full of web?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And probably, you know, the comic books he's had for like 80 years.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Batman having a no kill rule makes him unique and interesting in a world where superhero films are still struggling not to just be action movies where the bad guy dies at the end. It is in fact good and interesting that Batman does not kill Joker and validate his world view in The Dark Knight. Once Batman's spraying people down, he might as well pop a skull on his chest and grieve two different family members.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

You're almost there. Batman is already inherently bad because he's a rich dude who's above the law. Him bludgeoning people within an inch of their life isn't somehow better.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't give a poo poo if Batman kills a bunch of goons. I didn't give a poo poo when he did it in Burton's movies, I didn't give a poo poo when he killed the villain in Batman Begins, and I don't care about it in Snyder's movies. You've had since 1989 to accept the idea and get over it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

You're almost there. Batman is already inherently bad because he's a rich dude who's above the law. Him bludgeoning people within an inch of their life isn't somehow better.

You just don't get it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wasn't born in 89, the first Burton film is pretty corny, I've always thought Begins was a shade below TDK, and Snyder's films are pretty terrible so far. The whole point of 50 people tacking a crack at the character is that they might do different things with it.

Hearing Batman is actually a rich white dude beating up the insane flashed me back to 2011 Tumblr. What riveting insight on a character rapidly approaching 100 years old. I never thought of it that way. Hey, I bet he'd do a lot of good donating his vast wealth instead of being a superhero too. And what's the deal with the kid sidekick?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Aphrodite posted:

You just don't get it.
Batman could fund UI for all of Gotham yet he wants to beat up the breadwinners. Dudes finding orphanages because he's building demand for them. He's rather build a military state.

SonicRulez posted:

I wasn't born in 89,

Could've stopped here honestly. Considering not even Nolan touches on his vast inequality, even slamming people actively fighting against it, I don't see why it's not a valid question. especially in response to people clutching their pearls over him killing people, when he beats people almost to death already.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 17, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Legit stoked for Matt Reeves movie so I can see the people here lose their minds over him being too ruthless.

"But the cartoon I watched is the holy bible and if you stray from it I hate you"

:goonsay:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There are versions of Batman that have a no kill rule and versions that don't. It's fine. The only heroes I think generally have that rule, or should, are characters like Superman or Spider-Man. The problem is that when they do things in the comics it's a comic and it looks fine. If you try to produce that same thing in a film then it looks terrifying because of the motion, physics, etc. So yeah Superman grabs someone and rams through a wall in the comics it's fine but he does that in a movie and your mind wonders if there's anyway that guy could survive. Probably not, but it's a comic book movie so probably so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's pretty bold to simultaneously argue:

1. A no kill rule is stupid and batman needs to kill as a last resort in self defense/protect others
2. Batman is bad and him killing people is to show he's a bad man you shouldn't root for
3. Look at all those other good guys that kill people in other works and mediums, what's wrong with killing people you hypocrites, it's badass!