Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

tes.txt

I absolutely love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

CottonWolf posted:

I really wish Skyrim had kept Hand-to-Hand is a skill tree. Unarmed fighting is cool. Also, at least one dia-katana that wasn't a Daedric artefact.

Yeah. I have no idea at all what TES VI is going to do. The obvious options would be to have questlines about building those factions back up, but I hope they go weird with it. Have the mages questine be about working for the Ideal Masters, or the Thieves one about being enslaved by a Daedric prince culminating in a grand heist into Oblivion to steal back your soul, or something like that.

In TESVI the Dragonborn has rebuilt all of the guilds, so you go through all the quest lines and it’s just the same dude sitting at the end wearing a different hat.

Bonus points if they let you import saves

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Speaking of which, finally finished Dragonborn, nice Lovecraftian vibe. I’ll finish the main story and wrap up some quests. Then, I’ll do gentleman cat thief assassin and do all the quests relevant so such a character (thieves guild, brotherhood, etc).

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

How do I find juicy quests in Morrowind? Every NPC I talk to has nothing to say. Will quest NPCs always let you know up front, or do I have to go clicking through the glossary?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ott_ posted:

How do I find juicy quests in Morrowind? Every NPC I talk to has nothing to say. Will quest NPCs always let you know up front, or do I have to go clicking through the glossary?

This post is fantastic!

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Ott_ posted:

lol.
Join the guilds. Or the temple, or one of the houses, or the other temple. go explore. Travel to different towns, etc. Follow the main quest.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Ott_ posted:

Morrowind is best enjoyed when you feel like sitting down with a nice book for a couple of hours. Don't just ask random NPC's about things, ask random NPC's about every single possible thing they can say paying special attention to anything that's not "a rumor" or "where can I find person/place in town" and then after you read what they say go into their house and see what books they own and read those too. When you're done reading you might reward yourself with a brief walk along the river to pick some mushrooms so you can purchase more books from the book store.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

reignofevil posted:

Morrowind is best enjoyed when you feel like sitting down with a nice book for a couple of hours. Don't just ask random NPC's about things, ask random NPC's about every single possible thing they can say paying special attention to anything that's not "a rumor" or "where can I find person/place in town" and then after you read what they say go into their house and see what books they own and read those too. When you're done reading you might reward yourself with a brief walk along the river to pick some mushrooms so you can purchase more books from the book store.

Eventually you might graduate to dungeon delving to find new books, but that's high level play. Don't stress yourself out if you don't get to that point until a couple of hundred hours in.

Ott_ posted:

Pro-tip. Make your way to Pelagiad and let Ahnassi appreciate your smooth moves.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 14, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Skyrim really was all about shaking up the setting in a brutal way. It feels like they're setting up for a soft reboot.

- Dark Brotherhood wiped out save for Skyrim Sanctuary
- Fighter's Guild broken up due to constant wars and weak imperial control
- Mage's guild - er, same thing, really
- Scholarly pursuits barely exist, almost everyone who does it guards their knowledge jealously or they're insane and working for a daedra or whatever
- Vvardenfell wiped out by natural disaster
- Empire is crumbling to ashes

I dunno, the fourth era is pretty miserable in general. I wonder if TESVI will just straight up Time Skip this poo poo and give us the aftermath of Great War II, electric boogaloo. It sure would be loving weird to boot up and find out that the Aldmeri Dominion are now the de-facto rulers of Tamriel (though replacing the Imperials with a new type of elf would be interesting)

The Aldmeri want to unmake reality right (iirc but taking out the towers like the White Gold Tower anchoring the world or something)? They wouldn't, but a cool way to go and set up for an inevitable soft reboot is to have them succeed but the player remakes the world anew

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Ott_ posted:

I suggest you install this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46071

It helps a lot, it greys out the dialogue you have already seen and highlights the important ones, plus more QoL UI additions.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

RBA Starblade posted:

The Aldmeri want to unmake reality right (iirc but taking out the towers like the White Gold Tower anchoring the world or something)? They wouldn't, but a cool way to go and set up for an inevitable soft reboot is to have them succeed but the player remakes the world anew

I thought that was mostly MKult fanwank nonsense. They do want to control the world, etc, but the whole "meta narrative involving the destruction of all of the towers to unmake reality" isn't something that's officially stated in any of the games.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I thought that was mostly MKult fanwank nonsense. They do want to control the world, etc, but the whole "meta narrative involving the destruction of all of the towers to unmake reality" isn't something that's officially stated in any of the games.

Isn't the whole reason they want to outlaw Talos to stifle the very idea of a human god for some kind of cosmic shifting of belief in their favor?

I don't know if Skyrim goes full Kikrbride with it but I feel like there was more to their long-term goals than 'nazi elves wanna kill everyone' in the game itself?

Also I never got far in the Blades mobile game but I assume it added even more nuance to the lore (kidding)

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I always point to Paarthurnax's dialogue when you try to enlist his aid against Alduin. The important knowledge to have before this conversation is that when Alduin eats the world, the world does not truly end, it only begins again, as a kind of reset to the timeline. Thus you have Paarthy here (and Arngeir a bit before this) supporting the argument that Alduin succeeding and starting a new kalpa is natural and preferable to the unnatural end of all creation. Keep in mind that Arngeir and Paarthurnax are probably two of the smartest people in the game and have the most "meta" knowledge about what is going on.

The bolding is mine

0x000556db Alduin believes that he will prevail, with good reason. Rok mul.
0x000556db And he is no fool. Ni mey, rinik gut nol. Far from it. He began as the wisest and most far-seeing of us all.

0x0005586f If you can see your destiny clearly, your sight is clearer than mine.
0x0005586f Dahmaan - remember, Alduin also follows his destiny, as he sees it.
0x0005586f But, I bow before your certainty. In a way I envy you. The curse of much knowledge is often indecision.

0x00055771 Ro fus... maybe you only balance the forces that work to quicken the end of this world.
0x00055771 Even we who ride the currents of Time cannot see past Time's end. Wuldsetiid los tahrodiis.
0x00055771 Those who try to hasten the end, may delay it. Those who work to delay the end, may bring it closer.

0x0003fa13 Pruzah. As good a reason as any. There are many who feel as you do, although not all.
0x0003fa13 Some would say that all things must end, so that the next can come to pass.
0x0003fa13 Perhaps this world is simply the Egg of the next kalpa? Lein vokiin? Would you stop the next world from being born?

0x0003f9e1 True... But qostiid - prophecy - tells what may be, not what should be.
0x0003f9e1 Qostiid sahlo aak. Just because you can do a thing, does not always mean you should.
0x0003f9e1 Do you have no better reason for acting than destiny? Are you nothing but a plaything of dez... of fate?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Wolfsheim posted:

Isn't the whole reason they want to outlaw Talos to stifle the very idea of a human god for some kind of cosmic shifting of belief in their favor?

I don't know if Skyrim goes full Kikrbride with it but I feel like there was more to their long-term goals than 'nazi elves wanna kill everyone' in the game itself?

Also I never got far in the Blades mobile game but I assume it added even more nuance to the lore (kidding)

I mean perhaps, but there are Altmer who were actually alive and remember quite well when Talos shows up in his megazord and killed everyone.

Yes, but there's nothing in there that specifically means "The Thalmor have a meta-plan to destroy all of the Towers and unmake reality."

This nonsense was actually reported as factual on the original wiki for like, three straight years until someone pointed out there's not a single data point in any of the Elder Scrolls games that states that, and the books cited were actually fanfiction made by non-Bethesda employees.

Anyway have a chuckle at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shosC8sO27Y

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Honestly I'm a tiny bit miffed we won't see Summerset Isle in TES VI most likely. I would like to see what the Dominion looks like, and how regular altmer think about them.

I also want to see the isles in general. I did almost everything in Auridon in TESO back when it came out and loved the vibes there.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Incredible

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
wish there was a way to play ESO as a single player game without all the mmo bullshit

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

grate deceiver posted:

wish there was a way to play ESO as a single player game without all the mmo bullshit

also without the taskbar combat

just trsanslate everything into the skyrim engine thanks

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

God, Paranoia is such a good quest. Glarthir for best Oblivion character.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My pet theory is that Bethesda realized early on that the radiant AI made npcs do insane stupid things and then built their quests around that premise.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

This is why The Shivering Isles were the best possible expansion location for Oblivion, both on paper and in practice.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fruits of the sea posted:

My pet theory is that Bethesda realized early on that the radiant AI made npcs do insane stupid things and then built their quests around that premise.

I believe this.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I just got Oblivion re-installed and modded up, and it's kind of humourous that somebody finally got around to implementing a Mod Control Menu for Oblivion. Unfortunately, it only works for mods designed with it in mind, which means it works with like 3 mods.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of Oblivion mods, y’all should look up “Northern UI” mod. It’s an overhaul to make it similar to Skyrim’s UI, adds in full controller support and 3rd person movement (improved) and is fully configurable via the mod menu. It also works smooth as butter in Mod Organizer 2. It’s a really good overhaul.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
These games are amazing
https://i.imgur.com/9WcqICY.mp4

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of Oblivion mods, y’all should look up “Northern UI” mod. It’s an overhaul to make it similar to Skyrim’s UI, adds in full controller support and 3rd person movement (improved) and is fully configurable via the mod menu. It also works smooth as butter in Mod Organizer 2. It’s a really good overhaul.

I'll take a look at this later.

Hamethyst
Apr 2, 2019

ThaumPenguin posted:

This is why The Shivering Isles were the best possible expansion location for Oblivion, both on paper and in practice.

"Cheese for everyone! ...Wait...cheese for no one"

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Doesn't Ancano specifically say he has the power to unmake the world when you confront him in the mages college quest line?

Edit: He does, though you could also read that as just villainous exaggeration I suppose.

BillyC fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 16, 2021

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

BillyC posted:

Doesn't Ancano specifically say he has the power to unmake the world when you confront him in the mages college quest line?

Edit: He does, though you could also read that as just villainous exaggeration I suppose.

I forgot how incredibly boring Skyrim was until watching that. Not even a seconds delay before being told the answer to what could have been a puzzle.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I can't really say what it is about Skyrim. In good conscience I cannot say it is a 'good' game. It lacks the spirit or energy of Morrowind or Oblivion. The combat is trash. The perk system is awful and the perks range from bland to useless to nonfunctional. Even a decade out several things just straight up still don't work without mods, Ancient Knowledge still works the exact opposite way of intended.

Every faction is trash and rushed to Hell, the 'war' is barely a footnote, Alduin is as intimidating and memorable as a mudcrab, if it wasn't for Partysnax nobody could name even one character tied to the main plot. The highlight of the story comes from a DLC that lifts most of its good bits from Morrowind.

But....I keep coming back. I don't know why but I keep coming back and making new characters just to gently caress around with new builds.

Like I'm simultaneously doing a Conjuration/Archer sweetheart who just wants to help, a former Thalmor High Elf who really just wants to cosplay as a Dwemer, a drunk as gently caress Stormcloak Hircine worshipper who dual wields when he's not using claws, an literal minded Imperial Imperial who literally does not know how to take their armor off and as far as my headcanon is considered was already part of the legion but her dumbass coworkers captured her on accident, and a dunmer vampire daedra worshipper who refuses to use any equipment that doesn't come from a god.

Halp

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 16, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Flytrap posted:

I can't really say what it is about Skyrim. In good conscience I cannot say it is a 'good' game. It lacks the spirit or energy of Morrowind or Oblivion. The combat is trash. The perk system is awful and the perks range from bland to useless to nonfunctional. Even a decade out several things just straight up still don't work without mods, Ancient Knowledge still works the exact opposite way of intended.

Every faction is trash and rushed to Hell, the 'war' is barely a footnote, Alduin is as intimidating and memorable as a mudcrab, if it wasn't for Partysnax nobody could name even one character tied to the main plot. The highlight of the story comes from a DLC that lifts most of its good bits from Morrowind.

But....I keep coming back. I don't know why but I keep coming back and making new characters just to gently caress around with new builds.

Like I'm simultaneously doing a Conjuration/Archer sweetheart who just wants to help, a former Thalmor High Elf who really just wants to cosplay as a Dwemer, a drunk as gently caress Stormcloak Hircine worshipper who dual wields when he's not using claws, an literal minded Imperial Imperial who literally does not know how to take their armor off and as far as my headcanon is considered was already part of the legion but her dumbass coworkers captured her on accident, and a dunmer vampire daedra worshipper who refuses to use any equipment that doesn't come from a god.

Halp

- Simple = good, huge appeal, easy to level up and understand. Very easy to make a poo poo build in the previously most popular ES game, Oblivion and run into a character that can't do gently caress all due to the leveling system being what it was. People say the combat in Oblivion was better - it was not, the only person I've seen say it was great is Zaric since you dont need to switch to spells, you can in fact map a spell to a button and that's great. But the combat loving sucks, enemies hit way harder, you never get above the power curve and spend the whole game struggling and being utterly miserable and getting killed by housecats at high level.
- Dungeoneering is so loving good in Skyrim. There's tons of pressure-plate traps, swinging blades, fire, darts, rotating traps, crushers. Much more than Oblivion and much better implemented too. Dungeons will, unlike Oblivion, still have the chance of surprising you and poo poo while Oblivion you've seen everything pretty fast. Vast majority of the dungeons in Skyrim have a little quest attached to them and if not, there's always a small amount of unspoken environmental storytelling.
- music is loving great, visuals are goddamn fantastic, even OG PC release looked loving great.

Unlike every other TES game, there's no real caveats there like Daggerfall "the dungeons are endless mazes, many of which are flat out broken garbage" or morrowind "it looks like poo poo, the gameplay is awful, the soundtrack repeats itself over and over, the story is boring and terrible" or Oblivion "you're just playing a LOTR game with cat men and the worst combat/leveling ever". It's fun to pick up and play.

Skyrim's biggest problem is that you basically have mastered the game at 20 hours and then it starts to set in. A lot of enemies are tiresome to fight after awhile. Level scaling is nonsensical. They made archery and stealth the most powerful things ever, while many of the perks for melee builds are loving garbage and don't feel that good. Hell I'm 2handed and I have all of the "ignore armor" and "boost damage" perks and it still feels like I'm plink plink plinking away at massive HP pools.

It's just fun as gently caress to pick up and play and the Bethesda Open World RPG Loop of endless exploring, looting, leveling, etc is basically loving crack for your brain. You're constantly being distracted with complete nonsense and Skyrim in particular is obsessed with making sure nothing in the game is overly mundane. Join the dark brotherhood and you're the chosen one. Join the thieves guild and you're the chosen one. Nothing in the game is overly hard, nothing in the game is so bad it needs to gently caress right off, etc. There's no "oh. THAT part." moment in Skyrim, aside from the lengthy and tiresome intro. Even if a quest objectively sucks (tailing gulem-ei is my least favorite since you can literally get into fights with guards right in front of him and it doesnt seem to break the quest, meaning that you just slowly follow someone with no challenge) it's over in like, 5-10 minutes tops.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

BillyC posted:

Various people loving with towers threatening the metaphysical stability of Mundus is also a constant concern in ESO. Not even in specific instances it just pretty much always comes up in incidental when a questline involves a tower

It's pretty much just established itself as a thing a scholar in this setting would know about

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nina posted:

Various people loving with towers threatening the metaphysical stability of Mundus is also a constant concern in ESO. Not even in specific instances it just pretty much always comes up in incidental when a questline involves a tower

It's pretty much just established itself as a thing a scholar in this setting would know about

Lady Cinnabar thinks he's a loving idiot who doesnt know what he's talking about and claims the Tel Var stones:

quote:

Why are Tel Var stones a potential risk?
"The Daedra are scraping them from the White-Gold Tower. They still retain power from the days of Ayleid's construction, and I say we should turn it loose upon Daedra."

What do the Daedra want with Tel Var stones?
"As with any book by Phrastus of Elinhir, there is no clear purpose.
But the stones have dorman power within. I believe, with proper study, we could learn more of the White-Gold Tower's construction. If the Ayleids could do it, why shouldn't we?"

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The point is the possibility is well-woven within the games themselves. A huge part of the appeal of the setting is how unreliable every single in-universe source is when it comes to history and culture. Everyone within this world disagrees upon its nature and more cosmically aware the source the more likely it is they're either straight up lying (Vivec, Mankar Camoran, Sheogorath) or uninterested in telling your player character the fine details since you're not a peer of theirs (Sotha Sil, most gods).

Makes it very much as insufferably endless as a real academic conversation but yet fun to engage in.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nina posted:

The point is the possibility is well-woven within the games themselves.

I was mostly referring to if this was something the Thalmor were specifically aiming to do, which is less likely. My preference would be that some of the more insane thalmor believe this, but most of them just kinda...want man back under their heel. There are Thalmor that were alive when Tiber Septim showed up in the Dunmer meta-gently caress device and brought them to heel, and since the lore suggests that the Thalmor aggressively pillage, rape, depopulate and burn to ashes the areas they conquer, this doesn't come off to me as Thalmor trying to meta-undo reality. I'm sure most Thalmor are just fascist Banana people

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Skyrim's biggest problem is that you basically have mastered the game at 20 hours and then it starts to set in. A lot of enemies are tiresome to fight after awhile. Level scaling is nonsensical. They made archery and stealth the most powerful things ever, while many of the perks for melee builds are loving garbage and don't feel that good. Hell I'm 2handed and I have all of the "ignore armor" and "boost damage" perks and it still feels like I'm plink plink plinking away at massive HP pools.
The ignore armor perk is, you guessed it, kinda worthless since almost no enemies have armor. Only those visibly wearing it do and even then it's only small numbers. Practically everything including dragons, dwemer, animals etc have an armor rating of exactly 0. Don't even bother with the axe or sword perks, they've even worse. :v:

Archery does have one nasty side to it however. Whenever a person or creature is hit with an arrow there is a chance the game spawns a copy of that type of arrow in its inventory (so you can loot it later) but npc's with bows will use whatever arrow they have that deals the most damage and they have an infinite supply as long as they have at least one. Unless you're playing on the harder difficulties this probably won't matter but when a strong bandit/draugr with a powerful bow suddenly goes from iron arrows to ebony arrows with all of their modifiers it hurts.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Poil posted:

The ignore armor perk is, you guessed it, kinda worthless since almost no enemies have armor. Only those visibly wearing it do and even then it's only small numbers. Practically everything including dragons, dwemer, animals etc have an armor rating of exactly 0. Don't even bother with the axe or sword perks, they've even worse. :v:

Archery does have one nasty side to it however. Whenever a person or creature is hit with an arrow there is a chance the game spawns a copy of that type of arrow in its inventory (so you can loot it later) but npc's with bows will use whatever arrow they have that deals the most damage and they have an infinite supply as long as they have at least one. Unless you're playing on the harder difficulties this probably won't matter but when a strong bandit/draugr with a powerful bow suddenly goes from iron arrows to ebony arrows with all of their modifiers it hurts.

gently caress thats annoying.

Dragons are weak as poo poo though, even leveled ones I can drop in 4-5 hits

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The sword perk crit is based on the material base damage and I believe three points into it averages to about a 2-4% dps increase with the best sword at the highest skill. Similar material base with axes so three perks with the daedric axe is an extra 15 damage over 3 seconds, on anything that can bleed so not undead or constructs.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Dragons are weak as poo poo though, even leveled ones I can drop in 4-5 hits

I never play without Deadly Dragons, especially legendary dragons are basically raid bosses.

Fun to take on with a big group of followers.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I dont mind the battles being short, its that they arent really a problem outside of when they refuse to land. I wish dragons had immunities to types of damage and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dragons have resistance to the element they breathe shout (and a weakness to the opposite). For example +50 fire and -25 frost. I kinda miss ghosts being immune to mundane weapons in Oblivion. They also looked waaaay cooler than the transparent regular bandits you see in Skyrim.

Having to stand around as they just endlessly circle and roar, circle and roar before suddenly landing beyond a hill on the other side of a river to fight a crab is tiresome. Also shopkeepers suicide charging with iron weapons and then being surprised when they die. Most pathetic I saw was a frost dragon "fighting" a frost troll on Solstheim. There was a dragon landing cliff spot right near it so it kept landing on it out of reach of the troll and breathing frost which did practically no damage and then the troll fully regenerated while the dragon circled uselessly. If the troll had been able to reach it the dragon would have eventually died. I think the whole history of the ancient nords/blades hunting them was all made up later as an explanation for why they died out when it was clearly natural selection with a species too dumb to survive.

Vanilla dragons can be a problem for me. A chomp easily takes off 100+ health and then lol sudden instant unavoidable execution move and time to reload. Granted I almost never manage beyond the mid 30s levels before restarting or taking a long break and starting up a new character when I get back.

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 16, 2021