Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

My Lovely Horse posted:

What would you make them out of

Given his location, I'm guessing wood, walrus tusk, or the bones of his enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

What would you make them out of

Wood, like normal people?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

what

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I guess I can see it, wooden butter knives are traditional here, but mostly people use metal utensils so I don't get it.

Now I don't use either. I slice butter the same way I slice cheese:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Stuff that grows in trees.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I guess I can see it, wooden butter knives are traditional here, but mostly people use metal utensils so I don't get it.

That's obviously a block of caramel you're not fooling me

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

What the heck do you think cheese is made out of?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I don't mean to say that's butter, it's some kinda norweigan cheese. Just that the principle is the same for a block of butter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not caramel.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hosed up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't think you're in any position to talk about what things are made out of

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Where do a cheese digression and awful construction mix?
http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/wyoming_cheese_house

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

That looks like mysost, a spreadable whey cheese which I have tried to make several times with the whey leftover from homemade mozzarella and which I seem to gently caress up every time.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 16, 2021

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

you gotta take the butter out of the fridge

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

hypnophant posted:

you gotta take the butter out of the fridge

No then it becomes impossible to slice into perfect slices.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That looks like mysost, a spreadable whey cheese which I have tried to make several times with the whey leftover from homemade mozzarella and which I seem to gently caress up every time.

Myseost has a very particular taste, you may be doing it right :v:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That's because it is. :)
And for whoever said it's a block of caramel, that's also kind of true.

Norwegian brown cheese is basically whey (the liquid that you separate from the cheese curds when you make cheese), plus some milk and cream, caramelized in a pot for a while. If you stop before it's solid, you get prim (messmör, to the Swedes), kind of like a tarter and less sweet dulce de leche. (Vanilla is a fairly common addition). If you go a bit longer, you can cast it into blocks of a cheese-like substance that's technically speaking not cheese at all.

As for the taste, well - it depends. If you start with goat milk, go light on the (goatmilk) cream, and boil it quite dark, you get a tart, slightly sour, product that's very much an acquired taste. I like it, though not on its own; it cuts through dark bread or buttery waffles quite nicely.

On the other hand, if you use mostly cow milk, more cream, and stop earlier, you get a light brown, mild, sweet, caramelly "cheese". I imagine it's still unusual if you've never had it before, but it's much more approachable in that form. Perfectly good on bread; also quite nice on waffles.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 16, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah, probably Brunost specifically, Brunost and that style of cheese slicer being two of Norway's proudest inventions.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I actually have no idea what the proper stuff tastes like - I decided to make it the first time after googling what I could do with whey from making the mozz. Now it's become a minor white whale - it just never seems to work. Most often it burns on the boil-down.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's the benefit of making a utensil for food prep--and more specifically the part that contacts food--out of a porous material?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Accumulating trapped flavour?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Did someone get locked in the cheese house I linked earlier?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

To be fair, wooden cooking spoons, cutting boards and those ridged honey drippers all aren't weird in the least.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Edit: ^^^ beaten.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What's the benefit of making a utensil for food prep--and more specifically the part that contacts food--out of a porous material?

I agree a wood butter knife seems weird, but wooden spoons, spatulas, and cutting boards are pretty pervasive so I'm not sure I can fault that aspect.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

No wooden spoons or cutting boards on planet booby?

Pro-tip: wood is naturally antibacterial.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Is that some fuckin Ski Queen? That stuff's delicious.
https://www.norseland.ca/en/products/ski-queen/

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Metal vs wood butter utensil is probably fridge vs room temp butter storage preference.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Facebook Aunt posted:

This sort of thing: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Version-Pyle-Portable-Capacity/dp/B01MAVR8UW

We had one when I was a kid. Clothes don't really come out dry, they come out about as dry as from a normal washing machine, then you hang them to finish drying. Better then washing by hand if you are too poor or have no hookups for normal laundry machines and the nearest laundromat is too far away.

My partner has one and stuff comes out dry, it just takes longer than a regular dryer. I imagine the tech has advanced quite a bit.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

drgitlin posted:

No wooden spoons or cutting boards on planet booby?

Pro-tip: wood is naturally antibacterial.

I was literally asking if there was any benefit. For example, in my experience wooden cutting boards hold up better than plastic ones, and can be sanded down if they get too beat up. Being antibacterial is kind of a benefit, except I wash my utensils.

Edit: now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I saw an actual butter knife outside of my parents' house. Everyone I know--even the really cooky people--just uses a regular table knife.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 16, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Green Intern posted:

Is that some fuckin Ski Queen? That stuff's delicious.
https://www.norseland.ca/en/products/ski-queen/

Yes, most likely - I think Ski Queen is repackaged Gubrandsdalsost, which is also the best selling variant over here. (There's a few other variants, though).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

I was literally asking if there was any benefit. For example, in my experience wooden cutting boards hold up better than plastic ones, and can be sanded down if they get too beat up. Being antibacterial is kind of a benefit, except I wash my utensils.

Edit: now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I saw an actual butter knife outside of my parents' house. Everyone I know--even the really cooky people--just uses a regular table knife.

Wooden knives seem to be some Scandinavian bullshit that the rest of us left behind when we entered the Bronze Age.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

My parents had one actual butter knife (that we used on margarine mostly) but I'm pretty sure it came with those really fancy tableware sets that come in those ornate boxes and stuff.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I can't remember the last time I saw an actual butter knife outside of my parents' house. Everyone I know--even the really cooky people--just uses a regular table knife.

I didn't think about it until i read your post but it might bear mentioning that many of us are actually referring to table knives when we say "butter knife"

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

normal people

lol

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

titties posted:

I didn't think about it until i read your post but it might bear mentioning that many of us are actually referring to table knives when we say "butter knife"

Yeah, I only know there's a difference because of receiving one (1) butter knife in a donation of cutlery to restock my kitchen after my house burned down. It's the only utensil I own besides the can opener that is recognizably designed to be used right-handed. Problem: I am left-handed.

GallienKruger
Nov 25, 2005

Going through home shopping hell. I'm constantly clicking links to manufactured home 1B with floor layout #4z56. It's all the same and it's all crap, but I've finally found the one. The home that will never bore me.

Lengthy downspouts give me confidence that basement is bone dry. Hopefully as I build up equity, I can have a contractor close up some windows on the main house in order to better match the additions.

Oh boy a drying vent!

I hate the feeling of being confined on a toilet, but no worries here :)

Workmanship!

More workmanship! I love that I'll be able to quickly and easily change carpet for every season. Time for that soothing winter time blue!

A filth door is a wonderful feature that many sellers forget to focus on in their listings. This is especially true in houses that have two kitchens.

I'm only sharing this so that you can see all the wonderful treasures, and on the condition you don't buy it before I can.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6432-Leighton-Ave-Lincoln-NE-68507/6609412_zpid/

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GallienKruger posted:

I hate the feeling of being confined on a toilet, but no worries here :)

I'm the space heater pointed at the toilet so you can get nice warm shitsmell blasted back in your face.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

GallienKruger posted:

I'm only sharing this so that you can see all the wonderful treasures, and on the condition you don't buy it before I can.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6432-Leighton-Ave-Lincoln-NE-68507/6609412_zpid/

And she used to be such a nice classic brick home, before the meth

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GallienKruger posted:

So I actually clicked through each picture on zillow and holy poo poo that entire house is just hosed up, there's not one picture where you can look at it and not find some glaring issue with it.
flooring in spaces with transitions that are batty. Vents everywhere in the floor where they shouldn't be (probbably where they took down a wall and "opened it up"), oh and at least one missing vent cover. .
no handrailing's on any stairway that I can see (oh wait the stairway of death to upstairs seems to have one)
poo poo everywhere in the just piles of random poo poo like a scale next to the fireplace, ladders laying on the roof, paint buckets outside, kid just walking out the door, floors are super dirty everywhere.

For sale by owner for sure.. and the owner's a dumbass. If my house was in that state my realtor would be like Umm.. so what day are am I coming back to do pictures then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

GallienKruger posted:

More workmanship! I love that I'll be able to quickly and easily change carpet for every season. Time for that soothing winter time blue!

What would this alcove have been used for originally?