Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The biggest improvement to the system would be something like Conan where you can raise or lower the pieces and have them seek a snap at the new level. The secret to building in this game is remembering that your cursor has to hit the edge of the piece you want it to snap to, which, from your perspective, might be like a single pixel wide. That's basically it.

One really good thing about this game's building system is that pieces don't have to snap to count as connected for the purposes of support. This is a godsend for bridge building, since you can just slide a support under the one coming down from the bridge, phase it through that support, and call it a day. I don't think I've ever seen a system work like that before. I'm pretty sure in Ark and Conan support only counted if the pieces snapped together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

Jinnigan posted:

Tell me about.... forward operation bases. Outposts. How much do you build them up? Where do you put them? I had an idea to build a quick little bed and bench hut in Black Forest. Didn't realize it'd be surrounded by 10-15 graydwarves every time I went to it.

if you make a ditch around it most of them will fall in and get stuck, or you could just build slightly further out in a meadow and then a basic wall will be fine. this one is next to a swamp but far enough away that the leeches don't attack my boat. I didn't bother making an actual structure there since it has a portal back to my house.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The silver grind in the mountains is definitely real (at least for gear, doesn't seem to be required as much for building materials or tools), but it's way more fun running around there than in the swamp, so I don't really mind.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Can smaller mountain biomes spawn silver underground or just the big ones with drakes and golems? We’re going to down bonemass tomorrow and get that started tomorrow don’t have a big one nearby.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Bussamove posted:

Can smaller mountain biomes spawn silver underground or just the big ones with drakes and golems? We’re going to down bonemass tomorrow and get that started tomorrow don’t have a big one nearby.

I've had fuckoff huge mountains with absolutely no silver so I'm assuming it's just totally random, so maybe!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

I flattened out a mountain peak to make our mountain base for exploring the new biome today. The terrain deformation system is excellent once you understand how the pickaxe+hoe interact.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Does this game ramp up difficulty after beating a boss? I killed the first boss before I found flint and was trying to collect it by the lake shore but there's just a constant stream of greydwarves suiciding against my hut and then a troll showed up and now there's a troll camping my two corpses.

I got most of my stuff back but it's really annoying. I just want flint to upgrade my workbench!!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

mrmcd posted:

Does this game ramp up difficulty after beating a boss? I killed the first boss before I found flint and was trying to collect it by the lake shore but there's just a constant stream of greydwarves suiciding against my hut and then a troll showed up and now there's a troll camping my two corpses.

I got most of my stuff back but it's really annoying. I just want flint to upgrade my workbench!!

Once we beat the elder and/or discovered the swamp we started getting draugr invasions.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Broken Cog posted:

The silver grind in the mountains is definitely real (at least for gear, doesn't seem to be required as much for building materials or tools), but it's way more fun running around there than in the swamp, so I don't really mind.

Protip: when you think you’ve exhausted a vein try to dig out another block in every direction. There’s usually more. We managed to pull over fifty silver from a single site when we figured this out last night.

Also the Eikthynyr ult / carrot soup is basically mandatory for getting up the mountains in a reasonable amount of time from all the jumping you need to do.

Another pro tip for players just starting: jump more. Standing around waiting for a friend to get their stuff together? Jump around. On a pretty safe run back to your base? Jump. Once you get your jumping leveled up you can almost clear rivers and can scale mountains like a mountain goat.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you're running a dedicated server and nobody is logged on - will forest attacking events still happen? Or does it require at least one person online for monsters to do anything.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Well there goes my hopes of building anything particularly tall then.

Come on, Hearth and Home update.

I've read iron banded logs which are in game help with this, but I can't build for the life of me so not sure how they work.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah generally you should be pulling 40-60 silver out of every vein you find.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Harlock posted:

If you're running a dedicated server and nobody is logged on - will forest attacking events still happen? Or does it require at least one person online for monsters to do anything.

We've not encountered any issues so far - certainly seems like the "game logic" pauses when no one is logged in and apparently even when no one is near the base. Attacks only seem to happen when someone's actually there.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Badly Jester posted:

We've not encountered any issues so far - certainly seems like the "game logic" pauses when no one is logged in and apparently even when no one is near the base. Attacks only seem to happen when someone's actually there.

As I understand it attacks happen on players near structures. If neither of those are true (no players or no structures) you're fine. Worst you'll get is having to protect your groups base from high level baddies alone because you popped on to refill the raspberry chest.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What's the most fun invasions you can get? The first one I got was trolls, then the second one was a bunch of draugr and skeletons.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

What's the most fun invasions you can get? The first one I got was trolls, then the second one was a bunch of draugr and skeletons.

If you can find a lox spawn near a dark forest biome you can regularly watch the lox and trolls fight it out which is pretty fun to see

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah 3rding that the snapping is godawful. It doesn't help either in the early stage that there's so much f-ing grass blowing around that you can't see your god damned floor tiles to see if they're snapping properly or not. I find myself switching between KBAM and controller fairly often because trying to build anything with the controller is an exercise in futility.

The music in this game is chill as gently caress, I've had no qualms whatsoever of posting up at night in a shed with a door and listening to the ambient music while i smoke down a bowl

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Bussamove posted:

Well there goes my hopes of building anything particularly tall then.

Come on, Hearth and Home update.

Stone acts like foundation support, so you can build tall stuff but you need more than just wood. Or enforced with iron wood.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Definitely turn your grass all the way down. It's impossible to see some rocks and flint otherwise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do kilns and smelters need to be indoors? I had a kiln poof once when it was outdoors and I've built them inside ever since, but now it's limiting the beauty of my base building and I want that stuff outdoors again.

So curious if the kiln disappearing was a weird bug or part of the plan.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

xzzy posted:

Do kilns and smelters need to be indoors? I had a kiln poof once when it was outdoors and I've built them inside ever since, but now it's limiting the beauty of my base building and I want that stuff outdoors again.

I have never built either of those indoors.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

xzzy posted:

Our existing lovely workshop was not big enough to accommodate the smelter/kiln so I threw it down outside, and it does not seem to have taken any kind of decay or suffered at all to my knowledge.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

xzzy posted:

I always keep mine outdoors but I do have roofs over them so I dont have to stand in the rain while working at them.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

xzzy posted:

I came back to a base one time to find a greydwarf punching away at one of our outdoor kilns which was entirely enclosed by tall walls with a gate. No clue how it actually got in there but you may have had an enemy punch it to death

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

xzzy posted:

Do you have your whole base area covered by crafting stations and fenced/walled? You might have had a little shitter greydwarf spawn and start attacking stuff, i lost several carts and beehives that way. I did get all the mats back though so if they are gone gone then I dont know, early access?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Does anyone know how long tamed boars can go without eating? We have a dedicated server so didn't know if they are going to be starving to death if nobody gets on for a day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ClassH posted:

Does anyone know how long tamed boars can go without eating? We have a dedicated server so didn't know if they are going to be starving to death if nobody gets on for a day.

Forever as far as I know, I habitually ignore them for a day or more and nothing bad has happened. I lob a couple mushrooms in whenever I remember to spawn a new one.

The game seems pretty good about going into 100% pause mode when no one is logged in, no one has ever reported anything bad happening. I've noticed time stops too, when I log in to my private server the time of day and weather is exactly the same as when I left.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Fellis posted:

Poor wording, I don't mean just drop the game, I just mean they don't keep up with it and let it go or people get frustrated and stop playing. Phasmaphobia had success on a smaller scale this summer and there has been like one bugfix patch and no additional content or major updates in 6 months and I definitely regret buying that poo poo game cause my friends got me hyped for it.

I've already got my $20 out of Valheim so I don't really care either way. It just has a lot of potential and eventually more and more people are gonna hit the brick wall of progression and stop playing. Already everyone on my server is just using login/logout tricks to move stuff around and I've lost some interest in playing with them and it's been like... a week?

Dude Phas has an update every single day lmao. Turn on the beta branch

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah generally you should be pulling 40-60 silver out of every vein you find.

The way to really mine silver is to just excavate the entire vein first, that way you 100% know you're getting it all. Granted i've got a portal nearby where I can pop back to repair my pick when it gets low.

Mined two full veins and had enough to fully upgrade my silver armour and hammer. The bigger issue is all the loving drakes.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Today in viking moronity:

After finding a waystone for the elder I got the nasty news that he was literally half the world away. So I've been working my way through bronze, upgrading weapons, getting ready for The Expedition. I set out this morning, slowly taking my Karve through the ocean with the wind constantly in the Worst Direction. I discover interesting new biomes, spot nasty new critters, almost get eaten by a sea serpent but finally make it to the forest next to the 2nd boss and start building a modest house near the border to the meadow.

2 minutes into building I get murdered by 2 angry goblins, because the biome border wasn't to the meadow: it was to the plains. I haven't set up a portal or a bed, so I respawn back home.

My map now looks like this:

I have 6 bronze and 2 fine wood at home so I can't really make anything current. I can build a raft to sail back, which sounds horrible. I can hope there's a land connection and try to run back, which sounds even worse. I can of course also restart from the antler stage, build up to a bronze axe and 80 nails again, harvest some fine wood and build a new Karve.

Or I can do what I actually did, which was aggro a troll, have him smash about 6 birch trees to splinters, and use them to build my new replacement boat.

Now sailing naked through the storms to recover my lost equipment and ... not so much avenge myself as run away screaming from the goblins and rebuild a forward house somewhere safer. :rock:

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Crop Harvesting Pro Tip: The Ategir's spinning secondary attack also functions like a scythe, and will pull up any crop it hits which is usually like 10-12 at a time.

I'm desperate for a way to make farming less tedious but doing this just destroys all of my vegetables entirely. What am I doing wrong?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Everyone's first experience with the plains is always so fun to see.

"Oh this is nice" "Oh the music's really pleasant" "Oh that's a mosquito/goblin" "gently caress"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Captain Mediocre posted:

I'm desperate for a way to make farming less tedious but doing this just destroys all of my vegetables entirely. What am I doing wrong?

Never tried it with the Ategir but someone else mentioned you can hold the button down to harvest instead of clicking on each one and that has significantly reduced the amount of farming tedium on my side. I wish there was a way to see if something is too close to grow before planting it though, I want to pack them in as close as I can but usually end up doing it too tight and they grow all wonky because they're bumping up against each other I guess.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I've got level 3 iron gear and a finewood bow, but I'm really ready to be done with the swamp... is that enough to handle the bonemass, or do I really want to be making a point to max out my current zone gear before challenging each boss?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

dogstile posted:

Everyone's first experience with the plains is always so fun to see.

"Oh this is nice" "Oh the music's really pleasant" "Oh that's a mosquito/goblin" "gently caress"

“DEATHSQUITO?!?!?”

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I'm personally really happy with the light restrictions on base building. It means you have to get creative with how you design homes plus makes them all fit a certain aesthetic design. So I'm hoping they expand on that with the Hearth and Home update.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Omi no Kami posted:

I've got level 3 iron gear and a finewood bow, but I'm really ready to be done with the swamp... is that enough to handle the bonemass, or do I really want to be making a point to max out my current zone gear before challenging each boss?

Bonemass is a gear check-ish, because it's all about resistances. Bring a good mace or if you can afford it: frost arrows

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FZeroRacer posted:

I'm personally really happy with the light restrictions on base building. It means you have to get creative with how you design homes plus makes them all fit a certain aesthetic design. So I'm hoping they expand on that with the Hearth and Home update.

It's crazy how building a wall around the perimeter of a single craft bench and plopping a house somewhere in it instantly looks like a perfect recreation of a medieval fort. Much smaller obviously but it fits the aesthetic perfectly with almost no effort.

The imperfect terrain modifying tools can be frustrating too but if you just kind of let them do their thing it always ends up looking like an organically grown settlement.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Noticed wolves have the same modifiers as boars ("wild" "terrified"), are they tameable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

holy poo poo you can turn the grass off lmao

sorry, i guess i'm the thread idiot