Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My dude was born Hideous, and later the court physician cut his face off and now he wears a mask. Now he's Hideous and Disfigured! Shouldn't the ladies be happy his ugly face is hidden? Literally unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Godamnit, they were doing so well and then this poo poo happens. I just want one game where byzantines get hosed up and have to recover from an actual dire situaiton. There is literally nothing that can threaten them until I conquer all of north africa/egypt/spain

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

pidan posted:

My dude was born Hideous, and later the court physician cut his face off and now he wears a mask. Now he's Hideous and Disfigured! Shouldn't the ladies be happy his ugly face is hidden? Literally unplayable.

My king got cancer and the physician cut his dick off. Good thing he was old and sired like 10 children by that point.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Godamnit, they were doing so well and then this poo poo happens. I just want one game where byzantines get hosed up and have to recover from an actual dire situaiton. There is literally nothing that can threaten them until I conquer all of north africa/egypt/spain

I agree with you, it is is ridiculous that that never happens.

That said, owning any one of those places should make you, the player, more than capable of taking down the Romans, the regional MaA are really good.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Byzantine Empire fractured in my most recent game after some Catholic became an Emperor. And Mongol Empire imploded after teenage ugly cannibal became Khan. It seems that blobs imploding has something to do with having incorrect/awful ruler, but they're still way too stable.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Technowolf posted:

What does the history of the title(s) in question say?

Conquered by populist revolt. I'm guessing that revolt was against the empire, and I wasn't paying attention to it.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
I wish you could to negotiate feudal terms when vassalise someone or when you become a vassal of someone. Like if your duke is in a bad situation and the only way to survive is to swear fealty to the neighbouring King, the king should be able to demand more concessions and the opposite if you're stable and powerful, then you could negotiate more freedom and lower taxes etc. when you swear fealty.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fader Movitz posted:

I wish you could to negotiate feudal terms when vassalise someone or when you become a vassal of someone.

I wish taking over a title didn't mean all of a sudden having your council hosed up because some random vassal's granddad negotiated council rights during a rough patch for the liege. Default rights, sure. Council rights, unlimited wars, etc? no.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly that part should stay (because I don't want all my privileges to disappear just because some bozo seized the throne), the truly awful part is that the liege takes penalties for those privileges, and the UI doesn't tell you who has them

Really I'm of two minds about it; all these privileges were extremely informal and the idea of having written contracts documenting then is completely absurd. Feudal structures in particular should be insanely convoluted and uneven. But if the game is going to make them into paper documents, there absolutely needs to be a better interface for it.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 10, 2021

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Honestly that part should stay (because I don't want all my privileges to disappear just because some bozo seized the throne), the truly awful part is that the liege takes penalties for those privileges, and the UI doesn't tell you who has them

Really I'm of two minds about it; all these privileges were extremely informal and the idea of having written contracts documenting then is completely absurd. Feudal structures in particular should be insanely convoluted and uneven. But if the game is going to make them into paper documents, there absolutely needs to be a better interface for it.

Yeah it's very annoying that the vassal overview will show you their tax/levy rates, but not any special arrangements they have. People inserting themselves on to my council catches me off guard every time because there's no indication they even have that ability unless you go in and manually examine every single feudal contract.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And god help you if somebody went and handed out a bunch of the ones with a stacking +2.5% building cost modifier, almost certainly in exchange for increased levy size

:negative:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Perhaps when an "abnormal" succession happens, those get revoked, but then an event happens where the vassal asks the new liege to recognize those historical privileges. The liege can say yes, say no (with a big tyranny hit), or say "no but..." and lower some of their other obligations instead. Or a high-statted character could diplomatically say no without eating any penalties.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is there a way to groom your heirs opinions with his future vassals?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Occasionally you get events that can steer your heir towards befriending a vassal (or vassal's heir?), but there's no way for you to actively affect it.

Jabor posted:

Perhaps when an "abnormal" succession happens, those get revoked, but then an event happens where the vassal asks the new liege to recognize those historical privileges. The liege can say yes, say no (with a big tyranny hit), or say "no but..." and lower some of their other obligations instead. Or a high-statted character could diplomatically say no without eating any penalties.

Yeah it'd be cool if there was a lot more depth to things like investiture and homage vs. fealty. There's a lot of things this game needs adding to really ground it historical reality.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018
Has there been any updates on when the next developer diary is? Last I heard it was meant to come late January.

I need my fix.

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019

ElectronicOldMen posted:

Has there been any updates on when the next developer diary is? Last I heard it was meant to come late January.

I need my fix.

The most recent post seems to suggest there will be one at some point in mid-February.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/update-on-next-development-diary-timing.1453886/

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I loved CKII and got CK3 as soon as it was up for preorder. Now ironically enough my life then got very busy and I still haven't had a chance to play it. Anyway I just had a couple of questions:

1. After it being out for around half a year, what are people's take on the game? Imperator (disaster) Stellaris(good, just empty at this point), or EUIV/CK II (Not Imperator, but may need a few expansions, but not as empty as say Stellaris)?
2. Are there any essential mods?
3. Can anyone recommend a good starting nation? Is Ireland still tutorial island?
4. Any good tutorial let's plays that people can recommend?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The game is amazing, if you like CK2 you will enjoy. Have in mind that in some aspects (like governments, laws, regencies, the council), it is not still quite where CK2 + all DLC were. But the base game is a huge step forward in most aspects, and does incorporates a lot of CK2 DLC features, but now much better integrated

The AI is kinda dumber, though

About tutorials, lps and all: if you know how to play CK2, I dont think you will need it

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I was expecting the "Kings to the Seventh Generation" achievement to be a little tougher, as it's sitting in the 2nd most 'difficult' achievement category. That's the one where you start out as a 10 year old orphan Count named Eudes in France and eventually need to get your Dynasty onto the throne. It took 40 years, Eudes is now king lol.

I've really enjoyed using the Intrigue Lifestyle to set up a money-printing machine via Fabricate Hook x2 and Finding Secrets in rich foreign courts. If you're going to play a long game (maybe like Avenge Tours or Reform the Roman Empire) it seems like a great strategy to employ with your first ruler, allowing you to kick-start your ambitions with tons of cash (and Hooks to do other fun things as well!)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool, I think I'll start it up at lunch. On the plus side it's on GeForce Now so I can just play it via an old laptop near my work area.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The game is extremely good, but also extremely easy

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

PittTheElder posted:

The game is extremely good, but also extremely easy

Yeah, while there's a lot of talk about the 'experience generator', the games are tuned to let a player run a stable realm pretty easily, as anything else would be seen as frustrating.

People complained a lot about losing primo from the beginning but it's really not hard to set up situations where you practically have primo anyway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah one war against your brother is usually all it takes to seize all the lands that your predecessor ruled, and because you play as the primary heir, you inherited all the MaA, so that war is generally a cake walk.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've only played a viking game so far, so I've plodded through by just conquering a bunch of new titles and giving them to my non-primary heirs. All I really care about is holding on to my core counties and the couple extra temples/baronies I've built there; I don't really care about the edges of my ever-expanding blob.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Maybe I just got lucky but in both my games (tutorial Ireland and a Spanish run) I never had a single problem with succession under confederate or regular partition. I'd just go "oh, better conquer an extra duchy to give to Number 2 or 3 before I die" and go do that, problem solved. I'd always land my extra sons on my deathbed to make sure they inherited the parts I wanted them to and not split up my main realm. I generally had 2-4 sons and only ended up disinheriting one across both plays, but that was because he was my primary heir and he got himself syphilis and some really bad coping mechanisms.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I played around with the tutorial and then a little time in Ireland and the game is really fun. Taking a while to get used to new things, but honestly I really like how the UI and is, along with general QoL improvements (hell the days going by , granted early game, on speed 5 is really fast)z

My only real issues were finding prisoners initially, but I solved it with just clicking buttons and when a revolting lord besieged my castle, with way too few troops, I couldn’t raise my armies. I think that won’t happen again as I found the rally point picker. Although the game made it sound like no where in the area was suitable (from a tooltip), so who knows. It wasn’t a big deal, I just hate to waste a ton of time waiting for them to grind down.

I have to say I really like the ideas of hooks and also how stress is setup, so you have to try and at least attempt to keep your character consistent...well unless you’re doing a demonic possession or lunatic run...which in that case, you probably have a way around it, if you’re doing a run like that.

But really happy with the game so far. It was hard to actually put down as my break was ending. It really feels like a really good evolution of CK II, something a new engine (vs DLC) would have required. It defiantly feels far more fleshed out then Stellaris, so I think that bodes well in terms of the future and scaling up to have all the stuff CK II, in terms of bullet point features at least. But yeah thanks for the advice on just giving it a go.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A God drat Ghost posted:

Maybe I just got lucky but in both my games (tutorial Ireland and a Spanish run) I never had a single problem with succession under confederate or regular partition. I'd just go "oh, better conquer an extra duchy to give to Number 2 or 3 before I die" and go do that, problem solved. I'd always land my extra sons on my deathbed to make sure they inherited the parts I wanted them to and not split up my main realm. I generally had 2-4 sons and only ended up disinheriting one across both plays, but that was because he was my primary heir and he got himself syphilis and some really bad coping mechanisms.

Yeah it's extremely manageable. It gets harder if you want to pass two whole duchies onto your primary heir, since your primary titles count against that and so you need to give Number 2 and 3 two duchies each before it'll work, but keeping one duchy's worth of counties (which is more than enough to do basically anything) is trivial.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, while there's a lot of talk about the 'experience generator', the games are tuned to let a player run a stable realm pretty easily, as anything else would be seen as frustrating.

People complained a lot about losing primo from the beginning but it's really not hard to set up situations where you practically have primo anyway.

Yeah it's basically the same issue as CK2 where it's more fun when you don't fully understand what you're doing but will just get into the spirit of things and play along with whatever horrible things end up happening that are probably mostly your own fault. Once you learn to game the mechanics it's pretty easy to just keep growing and getting more powerful forever, but then it would probably be hard to balance a game that's friendly enough for beginners to get into it and still be able to survive, while also being challenging enough for experts to struggle at painting the map.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018
I am really hoping they add a shitton more events both positive and negative.

As much fun as painting the map for the glory of Zun is, some of the most fun I have had playing Crusader Kings is when things go horribly wrong and you have to scramble to get it back under control.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I've been trying to fabricate hooks on my liege, but twice in a row he thought I wanted to murder him, imprisoned me and executed / banished my dude.

Is this intended behavior?

Also, the education events seem to be bugged, it looks like the text is really incomplete. Anything I can do about that?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

pidan posted:

I've been trying to fabricate hooks on my liege, but twice in a row he thought I wanted to murder him, imprisoned me and executed / banished my dude.

Is this intended behavior?

It's a bug that they haven't gotten around to fixing yet. I'm hoping the next patch has the fix.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

binge crotching posted:

It's a bug that they haven't gotten around to fixing yet. I'm hoping the next patch has the fix.

Thanks for confirming this I thought I had clicked the wrong button or something.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The last time I used Fabricate Hook I somehow wound up sending a goon squad to rough up the Pope and he gave me a hook in return for calling them off. I can see how someone might mistake that for a murder plot.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
New Dev Diary's out!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-48-the-team.1456752

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Had a little over 128 hours in the game now – definitely the quickest I’ve ever garnered that amount of time with a game. Obviously it’s a ton of fun for that to be the case, but I do have a few negative comments, along with a wishlist of changes for the UI.

Overall the game is very playable indeed. But I dislike how they A. made primogeniture such a late-game unlockable and B. gated the different periods behind specific dates. It’s kind of fun dealing with not having primo at first, but doing it for the whole game (the game I just finished is the first time I even made it to unlocking primogeniture – it’s pretty much impossible to get there without reaching behemoth status first) gets tiresome, and it begins to feel rather gamey, always making sure you only ever have one son, or killing the excess ones off in suicide knight missions, or constantly going to war after every succession.

Not only that, but the gating meant that I had all techs from the High Medieval period unlocked 50 years before 1200, so I had to wait 50 and a bit years researching nothing, money piling up with little to spend it on other than gifts, before I could start on the Late Medieval techs. Felt a bit daft and contrived, and mildly frustrating. I’d love to see some rebalancing or re-working of this system in future patches or DLCs.

Anyway, this is my list of changes I would love to see made to the UI, jotted down during the course of play. Some of these are things which CK2 had, and others are just tweaks I think the new UI could do with in and of itself:

• Let me save search filter setups like in CK2. Being able to save four different setups worked pretty well.
    • Tickboxes to:
      prevent heirs ever becoming knights
      prevent heirs getting married
      prevent children of heirs getting married
      prevent ruler commanding armies
    • If a character is in jail, give me an icon and tooltip to see what their crime was
    • Have all lists of people, including vassal lists on character display on the left, and court display on the right, be sortable via attribute
    • Let me see other characters’ opinions of each other (unless this was deliberately removed for balance reasons)
    • Add a search filter for whether characters are heir to land or not
    • The character finder is too useful to be two clicks away – there is plenty of space on the bar to the right for all the buttons in the “More” menu, especially when the button to pause and unpause extends so unnecessarily far left of the date and time
    • When splitting troops, don't have the scroller immediately return to the top of the list each time you move a unit over
    • Give me a message when a new holding, or keep or town upgrades are built, like there is with buildings

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I hoped that after two months of complete inactivity they would post something about upcoming changes to the game, rather than telling us about their CK3 team being reorganized.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’m more than happy to wait until they have something to show, but yeah I don’t really understand the messaging here. Especially from arguably the studio who has most conditioned their fanbase to expect early glimpses at stuff and understand that things look bad before they come out, can change a lot etc. I’m happy to learn that there’s a large team supporting the game but give us something to get excited about. Out of context Paradox teasers are fun.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

This kind of feels like rolling the credits at the start of the movie. Not sure why you'd do that but let's see where it goes

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I guess they just haven't finished planning whatever the next content is. I was kind of excited by them expanding the team because I thought it meant CK3 was more profitable than expected, but one of the dev replies specifically says it was always the plan so guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Well, exact details can and generally do change from plan to execution. Caveat: I'm off the project, don't listen to me.

But there will be info on some content soon-ish, as stated in the dev diary.