Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

I tend to use handheld though, is the performance rate bad on that?

I pretty much only play handheld, and the few times I do play on TV I've never noticed a difference in performance.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Zenkichi's English VA is a treasure, his freak-out at Jails is amazing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

Zenkichi's English VA is a treasure, his freak-out at Jails is amazing

Zenkichi's English VA is absolutely a huge standout. It's amazing just how good his dub is.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Playing some more through Devil Survivor 2 and I found out the hard way that the Nicaea videos are serious business. Sorry, Jungo. :smith: I assumed they were more of a Persona "wow we'd better save that person quickly..... in 2 weeks time maybe" type deal. :sweatdrop:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:frogout:

It's fine. I did the same thing back in 2012. Poor Jungo. :negative:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

:same:

I don't think the game successfully communicates the urgency of that particular case.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Considering his death is the only one that actively changed a character's social link events, it was probably expected.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, I think the folks that didn't have that occur on their first run are the exception not the rule.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Unlucky7 posted:

I want to know

Does P5 Strikers have "~HEEERE COME THE HOMOS!!~" sections that come out of nowhere like P5 does?

its weird that blatant homophobia/transphobia is a recurring series trait in persona games, i assume thats what the thread title is about

they clearly go out of their way to add it in, but why?

is it in SMT too?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Characterization in most mainline games pre-Nocturne was slim and mostly relayed subtly or through side materials. Hell, even in Nocturne itself, characterization was brief, but well done sometimes.

IIRC my audio novels/dramas, the DemiFiend is kind of a nerd wrt the occult and poo poo.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Communist Thoughts posted:

its weird that blatant homophobia/transphobia is a recurring series trait in persona games, i assume thats what the thread title is about

they clearly go out of their way to add it in, but why?

is it in SMT too?

All but two shopkeepers in Nocturne are the same overexaggerated "fabulous" gay stereotype character who is always flirting with the main character; iirc it was also Katsura Hashino's directorial debut before Persona 3-5 and Catherine. While there isn't really proof of who is responsible for it, he usually gets the blame for these elements in the fan community since they have only appeared in games that he directed.
There were also a couple of merchants in Soul Hackers that were bordering on that stereotype but not as bad.

As far as the Persona games themselves it's only in 4 and 5; Persona 2 is notable for heavily implying that the main character and another central character are gay but treating them respectfully.
While there's no excuse for the homophobic characters in Persona 5, in some of the other games it feels sometimes like they might be trying to seriously handle gay/trans issues but are so out of touch that they end up bungling them to the point where they become offensive instead.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 16, 2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also take into account that, while Hashino might be the most blatant of the bunch, it's very unlikely he's the only one. Hell, Nocturne itself had four writers, including Kazuyuki Yamai (who would go on to direct the IV duology as well).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The localization team for P5 Royal tried their best to paper over the homophobia in their rewrite of those two scenes but it probably would've been better to just cut them entirely. You'd never even know those scenes were missing if you didn't know they were there to begin with.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

None of this would be happened if tadashi was still around

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

The localization team for P5 Royal tried their best to paper over the homophobia in their rewrite of those two scenes but it probably would've been better to just cut them entirely. You'd never even know those scenes were missing if you didn't know they were there to begin with.

That is part of the reason why I hate them so much. They were just thrown in for shits and giggles and added nothing to the story.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Did the part of them being based on a comedy group that are huge LGBT activists end up not being true?

I always thought that added extra malice to that scene, but I don't hear anyone bringing that part up anymore.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think that most people have enough context to even know about that (but I've heard it before).

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Harrow posted:

It would've been the right thing to do to cut them entirely, though I'm sure it would've drawn the ire of the vagina bones brigade

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did the part of them being based on a comedy group that are huge LGBT activists end up not being true?

I always thought that added extra malice to that scene, but I don't hear anyone bringing that part up anymore.

It's bullshit apparently, but not 100% sure since it's hard to find solid stuff about it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Persona 4 is an interesting case because I think the two stories about gender that it tries to tell--one about a boy who is still figuring out his sexuality and is made to feel ashamed about his interest in "girly" things, and one about a girl who dreams of entering an extremely male-dominated field and has internalized a ton of misogyny about that--are worthwhile stories to tell. It's just that the game cloaks them in a bunch of homophobia and transphobia and fumbles them both as a result.

With Kanji, I think the game largely presents his sexuality as something he's still figuring out and is still uncomfortable with, right up to the end, and that's fine, he's 15 and has a ton of internalized homophobia. It's just that the story features a ton of over-the-top "gays are sexual predators" imagery and also portrays Yosuke's homophobia as a joke at Kanji's expense. Kanji himself is a perfectly good character (and my favorite in Persona 4) but everything around him is fumbled pretty badly.

And then with Naoto, it's clear that the intention of the story is not that Naoto is a boy, but rather a cis girl who presents as a boy as a reaction to misogyny, both from others and internalized. But it's surrounded by a ton of transphobia, both in a sort of body horror sense with Naoto's shadow and in a weird fetishized schoolgirl scene with some of the scenes if your protagonist romances Naoto. And this is just speculation but it would not surprise me one bit if there's a big TERF narrative about trans men transitioning because of internalized misogyny that Naoto's story stumbles into as well.

I think that's why I find Persona 4 kind of frustrating. I think the stories it wants to tell about Kanji and Naoto are worthwhile stories to tell, but because they're drenched in homophic and transphobic tropes, neither story can actually work.

Item Getter posted:

It would've been the right thing to do to cut them entirely, though I'm sure it would've drawn the ire of the vagina bones brigade

Rewriting the scenes already did piss off that group, so yeah, they should have just cut the scenes entirely.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

And this is just speculation but it would not surprise me one bit if there's a big TERF narrative about trans men transitioning because of internalized misogyny that Naoto's story stumbles into as well.

That absolutely is a thing, yes, in TERF and other radfem circles.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Item Getter posted:

If anything, I'd consider that another reason to cut it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And just change Ryuji's line to complaining about being ditched when it comes up in the story.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I always feel a little uncomfortable discussing the Persona games because I really love these games. All of them. Well, maybe except for Persona 1, but it's still pretty cool in its own way. Persona 5 (especially Royal) is probably one of my top 5 favorite video games, and recently replaying Persona 4 Golden reminded me that I loved that game more than I remembered.

I also know that Persona 4 and 5 feature some really hurtful poo poo. I think it's important to be aware of and acknowledge that kind of thing even, or especially, in media that you like, and that it doesn't mean you can't keep liking that media. And that it's also absolutely nobody's business what someone else doesn't like, so if those scenes are a dealbreaker to someone, that is their call and nobody else's. And yet I still feel weird admitting that I still really like these games, so I dunno, maybe that should tell me something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really even without the ---phobia in p4 the stories with naoto and kanji would still be kind of lame in the context of the modern persona series. like they talk a big game about breaking social norms, your True Self, etc etc but the most socially unacceptable thing they're willing to get into is loving your hot teacher who's also a maid.

like there's nothing wrong with the stories in a vacuum but they're lame in the context of it being the only thing they can think to do with gay or trans people. as opposed to you know, actually having one of them in the party.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Harrow posted:

Persona 4 is an interesting case because I think the two stories about gender that it tries to tell--one about a boy who is still figuring out his sexuality and is made to feel ashamed about his interest in "girly" things, and one about a girl who dreams of entering an extremely male-dominated field and has internalized a ton of misogyny about that--are worthwhile stories to tell. It's just that the game cloaks them in a bunch of homophobia and transphobia and fumbles them both as a result.

With Kanji, I think the game largely presents his sexuality as something he's still figuring out and is still uncomfortable with, right up to the end, and that's fine, he's 15 and has a ton of internalized homophobia. It's just that the story features a ton of over-the-top "gays are sexual predators" imagery and also portrays Yosuke's homophobia as a joke at Kanji's expense. Kanji himself is a perfectly good character (and my favorite in Persona 4) but everything around him is fumbled pretty badly.

And then with Naoto, it's clear that the intention of the story is not that Naoto is a boy, but rather a cis girl who presents as a boy as a reaction to misogyny, both from others and internalized. But it's surrounded by a ton of transphobia, both in a sort of body horror sense with Naoto's shadow and in a weird fetishized schoolgirl scene with some of the scenes if your protagonist romances Naoto. And this is just speculation but it would not surprise me one bit if there's a big TERF narrative about trans men transitioning because of internalized misogyny that Naoto's story stumbles into as well.

I think that's why I find Persona 4 kind of frustrating. I think the stories it wants to tell about Kanji and Naoto are worthwhile stories to tell, but because they're drenched in homophic and transphobic tropes, neither story can actually work.

There's also the issue of just...mixing their narratives with plot things that make those narratives not make sense at all. Naoto's prepresenting as a man to get into the field would land a lot better if you ever saw anyone give her poo poo about being a detective because she was a woman, but they don't. They say later that it happens in her dungeon and S. Link but what they show contradicts that completely. The only cop you see complain about her is Dojima and even in his drunken stupor he's just mad that the big city cops sent a pre-teen because they think he couldn't do his job.

They want to tell a story but also don't at all. it really feels like they just tacked it on later to go "Hey we're talking about ISSUES here."

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 16, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The best thing Persona 5 did was get me to finally branch out into the other SMT games out there, and realize that Persona is really the weakest of the entire franchise.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
nobody hates Persona games more than Persona fans

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There's also the issue of just...mixing their narratives with plot things that make those narratives not make sense at all. Naoto's representing as a man to get into the field would land a lot better if you ever saw anyone give her poo poo about being a detective because she was a woman, but they don't. They say later that it happens in her dungeon and S. Link but what they show contradicts that completely. The only cop you see complain about her is Dojima and even in his drunken stupor he's just made that the big city cops sent a pre-teen because they think he couldn't do his job.

They want to tell a story but also don't at all. it really feels like they just tacked it on later to go "HEy we're talking about ISSUES here."
the issue there is that the two cops in the game are in order, a guy the game really wants you to like and a guy the game really wants you to like so the twist works. so they cant show the inaba police as sexist or incompetent because those two are associated with it, so theyj ust have the cops make actually fairly reasonable complaints about a literal child coming in from the big city to yell at the yokel cops.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

the issue there is that the two cops in the game are in order, a guy the game really wants you to like and a guy the game really wants you to like so the twist works. so they cant show the inaba police as sexist or incompetent because those two are associated with it, so theyj ust have the cops make actually fairly reasonable complaints about a literal child coming in from the big city to yell at the yokel cops.

But that's, you could just write generic INaba cop being pissy about a Woman Detective coming in. It didn't have to be Dojima Is The Only Real cop. Hell, Have Dojima slap that guy on the back of the head to show while the prejudice exists Dojima doesn't tolerate it so he's still personally likable.

It's so easy to just...actually write the scenes you need in the story instead of the 9th "They Can't Cook" joke.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 16, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Junpei posted:

nobody hates Persona games more than Persona fans

this is true of every fandom but also lol if you think this thread or forum generally is representative of persona fans

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

this is true of every fandom
it definitely isnt true of every fandom

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But that's, you could just write generic INaba cop being pissy about a Woman Detective coming in. It didn't have to be Dojima Is The Only Real cop. Hell, Have Dojima slap that guy on the back of the head to show while the prejudice exists Dojima doesn't tolerate it so he's still personally likable.

It's so easy to just...actually write the scenes you need in the story instead of the 9th "They Can't Cook" joke.
yes but the persona writers arent very good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

this is true of every fandom but also lol if you think this thread or forum generally is representative of persona fans

I might be off the mark but I get the feeling most people posting about Persona in this thread would not consider themselves fans of the series to any degree

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think most people in this thread do in fact love Persona. The Persona haters mostly bitch about it in the RPG thread.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I mean i'll defend Persona 2 and 2 as being classics, personally. And 3 is interesting in concept but delivered poorly.

I think 4 marked a massive shift in the franchise where every single cast member's inter-personal relationships flow through you the protagonist and turned these neat ensemble casts into one of the weirdest power fantasy where everyone's personal growth is reliant entirely on your willingness to deign to spend time with them instead of 3 having them develop on their own outside of your relationship with them and you being there. Persona 5 kind of doubles down on a lot of 4's issues, but has the glam to kind of try to cover it all up. Royal fixes some of them and adds new ones but I'd at least Rec. it as basically a popcorn flick of a video game.

I think if you want gang of teenagers get together, save the world and kill a god(s) you're probably better off with SMT4:A or Digital Devil Saga at this point. They're not as overly polished but you'll probably get something more from them than modern persona.

EDIT: Like in 3 almost all of Akihiko and Shinji's character growth is based on their relationship and happens almost entirely in cutscenes with MC not there at all to even witness it. Even Junpei, the one you have the most direct relationship and contact with, gets his growth without even a word of encouragement from you. It's a much more filled out and...human feeling cast for it. They feel like people with more going on in their lives than fucntions that exist to aid or entertain you. Persona 5 further gamifying the relationships with directly tying your combat and exploration ability to leveling them up really doubled down on making them feel hollow as all hell, which I mean is supposed to make it feel like you're building your crime network but it never landed that well with how personal they try to make the relationships and the fact that you never let anyone in on it until the very end of it each so it's the character using them as much as its you the player doing it. IT's a game who's mechanics and narratives are fighting one another a lot.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 16, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll say one thing that playing Royal really drove home to me:

You could, without exaggeration, cut like a third of the words in the Persona 5 script without losing a single plot or characterization beat or making them harder to understand. Good god does this game like to vastly overexplain things. Again, I love the hell out of this game, but even I mash through just about every text message conversation, because instead of using the text chain as a nice way to do characterization, they instead use it to reiterate every plot beat about seven times over.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My love of Persona 1 and 2 is true and powerful.

(I also like the other games)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Persona 1 is a fantastic soundtrack with a decent game attached to it, that's obfuscated by the most strange and unique battle system the series tried. It didn't really work often, but at least they gave it a shot.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

I'll say one thing that playing Royal really drove home to me:

You could, without exaggeration, cut like a third of the words in the Persona 5 script without losing a single plot or characterization beat or making them harder to understand. Good god does this game like to vastly overexplain things. Again, I love the hell out of this game, but even I mash through just about every text message conversation, because instead of using the text chain as a nice way to do characterization, they instead use it to reiterate every plot beat about seven times over.

And that third of the words is Mona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Persona 2s are 'good' and since then they're... forgivable if unambitious and cowardly.

it genuinely is the weak link of the SMT line, so of course it's the most successful