Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Mailer posted:

Looking through the unlocks, it looks to be roughly 900 tokens you might lose in the end, with them all being the max level stuff. Most of them you can outgear via tower upgrades or possibly get carried by Ganyugoons.

The store is really weird because it looks like the currency is extremely tight. If there's multiple books on offer it looks like there wouldn't be enough to clean it out. I'm guessing there's some other quest or something that generates enough tokens to max it all.

also, depending on the wording, we might need to drop 1k to get the 4 star character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Bland posted:

Well that's what I was hoping people wouldn't say because that's exactly the strategy I was using haha. My last run I had a cryo tower at each entrance, with hydro and electro towers in pairs at every major chokepoint, as well as two ordnance towers at the centre of the map to pelt them while they were being slowed and frozen. I also had Ganyu peppering them with frost arrows to freeze them for as long as the game would allow, but my towers just weren't putting out enough damage. The ruin graders tended to get through my defences at about 1/4 health. I guess I probably just need to max out my towers.

max out your towers, but more importantly, pyro is always the best element and that applies here too

okay that's not quite true, the pyro tower projectiles fly really slowly and they're not great at dealing with small fast enemies that electro towers have no problems with, but against lawachurls/ruin guards etc you definitely want a lot of pyro towers in addition to your hydro/cryo. the towers can trigger reactions too, so hydro/cryo/pyro means a lot of melt/vaporize and that means 50-100% more damage.

oh and the ordnance towers are pure garbage, never use them. they do lovely damage and are hard to place such that they don't just shoot into walls the majority of the time. if you need to break geo shields either freeze or use overload.

e: if you want a guide, this guy has good ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDlmd2COqv8

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 16, 2021

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Framboise posted:

Rumor has it that Hu Tao's banner will have Razor, Xingqiu, and Chongyun and I'm SO READY. Give me the cute stabby funeral lady and all the himbo constellations

How sure are we on this? I'm at 74 pulls and I'd rather have Keqing's C2 than Xaio, but I also really want Xinyan's C2. I'd grab it off of Stand By Me, but I'm missing both Xinqui and Chongyun. Being able to pull for them would be great.

I really, really wish the banners had an overlap day or something.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean there kind of is an overlap day if you're playing on western servers, since the updates aren't synced between different timezones.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bland posted:

Well that's what I was hoping people wouldn't say because that's exactly the strategy I was using haha. My last run I had a cryo tower at each entrance, with hydro and electro towers in pairs at every major chokepoint, as well as two ordnance towers at the centre of the map to pelt them while they were being slowed and frozen. I also had Ganyu peppering them with frost arrows to freeze them for as long as the game would allow, but my towers just weren't putting out enough damage. The ruin graders tended to get through my defences at about 1/4 health. I guess I probably just need to max out my towers.

you not mentioning a single pyro tower is probably another issue. setting one a bit behind your hydro+cryo chokepoints will drop ~5k on a frozen enemy at once. so far it seems universally good to lead with those freeze chokepoints and then stagger pyro/hydro/pyro behind them to keep up the strong reaction damage. electro can go anywhere but definitely doesn't feel as essential to me.

i'm fairly hands off though (and don't take tower buffs), because i find setting up towers gives me more predictable reactions than when i start messing with applying elements myself. since my chokepoints are usually farther back i generally just interact with monsters to break their shields and let the towers do the rest. Jean being a last minute oh poo poo button since her skill can stagger or throw a lot of enemies.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

dogsicle posted:

you not mentioning a single pyro tower is probably another issue. setting one a bit behind your hydro+cryo chokepoints will drop ~5k on a frozen enemy at once. so far it seems universally good to lead with those freeze chokepoints and then stagger pyro/hydro/pyro behind them to keep up the strong reaction damage. electro can go anywhere but definitely doesn't feel as essential to me.

i'm fairly hands off though (and don't take tower buffs), because i find setting up towers gives me more predictable reactions than when i start messing with applying elements myself. since my chokepoints are usually farther back i generally just interact with monsters to break their shields and let the towers do the rest. Jean being a last minute oh poo poo button since her skill can stagger or throw a lot of enemies.

I thought pyro towers were better for groups since they do splash damage so I swapped all my pyro towers for electro for the big guy wave. Now I know better I guess. I managed to get a no escapes clear on difficulty 6 the moment the game stopped giving me that awful fork shaped map in any case.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

almost every tower has some AOE damage past a certain upgrade level, so it really just depends if you've got all the towers at 5+. beyond that the reaction setups and your efficiency in choosing chokes seem to be the make or break stuff.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
The time requirements of the new abyss are nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be. I was dreading the new 12-2 but it was surprisingly tame, not much more difficult than the old 12-2.

12- 1 is quite fun but I'm not sure if I like that the most dangerous chamber of the floor is the first one, 12-2 and 12-3 are not particularly threatening but pushing teams designed to clear them through 12-1 is rather tedious.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I was getting walled trying to get a different team setup through 12-1. 12-1-1 has a pyro and an electro geovishap - once I started by focusing the electro down (the one who spawns behind you) first it was a lot easier. 12-1-2 is cryo/hydro which was a lot easier though note the cryo one is totally immune to being frozen after he triggers (the others are hard to freeze, but I'm not sure it's impossible).

12-2 is whatever, not particularly interesting.

12-3-1 is quite straightforward, you can clear it in a minute by using ults to iframe the geo aura triggers. 12-3-2 is a big damage check and hope they don't spin. Electro-charged seems to have some strange reaction on the Ruin Graders and they stop doing things. I feel like the ice cage damage was toned down from the first abyss rotation but idk I'm probably just more leveled.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 16, 2021

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Clarste posted:

I mean there kind of is an overlap day if you're playing on western servers, since the updates aren't synced between different timezones.

True on the "knowing what's coming" front, but not on the "use my pity on Keqing then go back to pulling for Xinyan" front.

Still, good point, I can wait a while on Stand By Me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I feel like pyro towers don’t really do much. What’s worked for me 100% of the time is to place a hydro, cyro, and then two electro towers in a square with a recovery tower in the middle of them. One of these grids near each exit, with a mine for insurance. After a wave or two I just sell the recovery tower and replace it with something else and afk. I imagine with the new damage buff tower I’ll use that one to replace the recovery towers.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

No Wave posted:

I was getting walled trying to get a different team setup through 12-1. 12-1-1 has a pyro and an electro geovishap - once I started by focusing the electro down (the one who spawns behind you) first it was a lot easier.

Yeah, focusing the electro one before he buffs up also got me the 3*. I feel like if I had zhongli for the first part and a pyro carry for the second part the first chamber would be much tamer.

No Wave posted:

Electro-charged seems to have some strange reaction on the Ruin Graders and they stop doing things.

I think it's either just electro damage or damage to the weak point when they perform certain attacks, in my first run I had ning fish albedo jean team and I've seen them occasionally just stop doing anything for 10 seconds, I also got the "paralyze a ruin grader by hitting it's weak point" achievement during the fight and since I made no conscious effort to actually do that I think that was fish ascendancy passive lightning bolt that triggered it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

TheFluff posted:

oh and the ordnance towers are pure garbage, never use them. they do lovely damage and are hard to place such that they don't just shoot into walls the majority of the time. if you need to break geo shields either freeze or use overload.
They have high rate of fire and extremely good range. Their benefit is that, on certain maps, they can cover multiple lanes. Nothing else does that except Pyro towers with a range extension bonus. The newest map features two exits and three entrances and can stretch your coverage thin; having a few Physical towers means you're able to double up a bit.

They also don't interfere with reactions other than Shattering Freeze. Three or more elemental towers can sometimes react wrong depending on the order in which elements apply. If you absolutely cannot risk your setup proccing the wrong reaction, the Physical towers won't screw you over.

They are useful against all shield types even though they don't break any but Geo quickly, since the enemy will stop to block the shot. Stopping to block is bad news when standing in a Hydro/Electro field, or when Pyro towers are shooting at them, and the high fire rate means they end up blocking a lot which slows them down.

Also they get possibly the most ludicrous damage bonus option in +300% damage at max range and they are cheap. I found Lawachurl and Ruin Grader waves a lot easier if I get any damage bonus at all on them, as they just shoot and shoot, can't miss such huge targets, and whittle them down with assistance from Cryo/Hydro slowing.

As far as the buff tower, so far I'm not a big fan. The AoE is tiny even expanded; they seem best in a tight Hydro/Electro cluster or in a battery of Physical/Pyro towers that cover several lanes. The newest map doesn't really accommodate either as well as earlier maps. Not sure how much they boost DPS. Main thing is that unlike Recovery where your towers can kill things too fast and be outside the bonus radius, the buff tower I think just applies to towers in its range so you can predict its exact effect. No idea how potent the buff is though, and the tower is very expensive.

I would however be curious to try 4x buff towers at max level where they can overlap with just one Physical tower. If they can turn it into a one shot railgun it would be funny even if it's clearly a suboptimal use of 5 slots.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nakar posted:

They have high rate of fire and extremely good range. Their benefit is that, on certain maps, they can cover multiple lanes. Nothing else does that except Pyro towers with a range extension bonus. The newest map features two exits and three entrances and can stretch your coverage thin; having a few Physical towers means you're able to double up a bit.

They also don't interfere with reactions other than Shattering Freeze. Three or more elemental towers can sometimes react wrong depending on the order in which elements apply. If you absolutely cannot risk your setup proccing the wrong reaction, the Physical towers won't screw you over.

They are useful against all shield types even though they don't break any but Geo quickly, since the enemy will stop to block the shot. Stopping to block is bad news when standing in a Hydro/Electro field, or when Pyro towers are shooting at them, and the high fire rate means they end up blocking a lot which slows them down.

Also they get possibly the most ludicrous damage bonus option in +300% damage at max range and they are cheap. I found Lawachurl and Ruin Grader waves a lot easier if I get any damage bonus at all on them, as they just shoot and shoot, can't miss such huge targets, and whittle them down with assistance from Cryo/Hydro slowing.

As far as the buff tower, so far I'm not a big fan. The AoE is tiny even expanded; they seem best in a tight Hydro/Electro cluster or in a battery of Physical/Pyro towers that cover several lanes. The newest map doesn't really accommodate either as well as earlier maps. Not sure how much they boost DPS. Main thing is that unlike Recovery where your towers can kill things too fast and be outside the bonus radius, the buff tower I think just applies to towers in its range so you can predict its exact effect. No idea how potent the buff is though, and the tower is very expensive.

I would however be curious to try 4x buff towers at max level where they can overlap with just one Physical tower. If they can turn it into a one shot railgun it would be funny even if it's clearly a suboptimal use of 5 slots.

The buff tower is immensely valuable at level 3, it buffs damage of nearby towers by 100% but costs less than any single tower, so it's worth using even if it's only buffing two towers. Range is enough to buff 2x2 squares or a 5-tower square with a center tower. You're basically required to use it because of slot efficiency. The guy I linked at the top of this page clears today's new map with no leaks while only building 12 towers, using no stage buffs, and not using any character skills. He basically just uses a group of buff/hydro/cryo and one of electro or pyro per lane, and that's enough. Mostly electro early on, then swap to pyro for the waves of bigger enemies.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 16, 2021

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I like the crossbow tower thing early on when you have little points as they are cheap. Also mines. Then replace with fire and electric towers. I've stopped taking the challenge penalties inbetween rounds as I realized there is no point.

Also fyi, the restore 5 points option counts towards the all monsters destroyed achievement. I had 4 escape, took the 5 points to reset the escape counter to 0, and got the achievement.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so far hydro+cryo+electro clumped together with a pyro tower behind has cleared everything pretty easy for me so far, including the challenges

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
I just had a bunch of easy clears with just two cryo towers per lane and as many hydro as you can fit. Bring a fire character or two to burst down cryo shields and you're golden.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I'm just playing around for the moment because everything is maxed and cleared, but a phys crossbow with 4 buff turrets on it and the mystical arts that increase damage at long range and the attack speed is very fun.

I'm expecting that the blink of an eye special mode will award bonus peace talismans since there's no challenge awards for it?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

I just had a bunch of easy clears with just two cryo towers per lane and as many hydro as you can fit. Bring a fire character or two to burst down cryo shields and you're golden.

Are you doing a lot of Chongyun shattering alongside this, or have you just not had to deal with water slimes and water abyss mages?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
2x hydro 2x cryo per lane can deal with basically as many hydro mages as you like, things just get permafrozen forever. It takes a while to clear things though.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

TheFluff posted:

2x hydro 2x cryo per lane can deal with basically as many hydro mages as you like, things just get permafrozen forever. It takes a while to clear things though.

Yeah, 2 cryo towers keep them locked down forever. If you get a few cryo damage or attack speed arts it doesn't even take that long. Even better if you get the one that let's them hit 2 targets and deal +100% damage to frozen enemies

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does the login bonus reset at midnight? Trying to figure out if I’ll be able to grab them tonight/tomorrow morning (NA servers) and try for Xiao again.

And assuming I won’t pull Xiao, I already pulled a Jean/5* off of this banner. Does this mean that the next 5* I’ll get from the character banner is guaranteed to be the main event character or does that 50% chance reset per banner?

Asking cause if it doesn’t reset then that means I’ll want to skip the Keqing banner because she’s in the standard pool right? So I don’t “waste” a guaranteed event character pull?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
off-banner pity carries over between banners

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Skipped Xiao. Skipping Keqing who I already have. Prob won't pull on Hu Tao unless she goes really well with Ganyu or something. Prob waiting for a Venti rerun at this point as I missed him the first go around.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the fanbase of this game owns

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Skipped Xiao. Skipping Keqing who I already have. Prob won't pull on Hu Tao unless she goes really well with Ganyu or something. Prob waiting for a Venti rerun at this point as I missed him the first go around.

:same:

I have every 4-star character and "enough" 5 star carries, so it seems pointless to spend wishes until they release Rosaria or put a support character on the banner who would actually fit on my teams.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
The damage boosting tower has replaced hydro for my centrally located tower and made everything fairly easy. 50% pyro, 50% electro seems to work well vs everything I have found on stage 6. The arrow one is mediocre even with the range since elemental reactions are a significant portion of damage, and no point in cryo without hydro.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does the login bonus reset at midnight? Trying to figure out if I’ll be able to grab them tonight/tomorrow morning (NA servers) and try for Xiao again.

And assuming I won’t pull Xiao, I already pulled a Jean/5* off of this banner. Does this mean that the next 5* I’ll get from the character banner is guaranteed to be the main event character or does that 50% chance reset per banner?

Asking cause if it doesn’t reset then that means I’ll want to skip the Keqing banner because she’s in the standard pool right? So I don’t “waste” a guaranteed event character pull?

Login rolls over at 4 AM local time, I believe. Either way, you'll have some time to pull on the Xiao banner, since it will go down at 4 PM EST.

The 50% chance does not reset. The next time you get a 5*, it will be the one featured on the banner. If you don't want Keqing, then don't pull (or at least don't let your pity counter get up too high).

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Bland posted:

Is Mysticus Mechanicus: Desire worth unlocking and levelling? The description doesn't really paint a good picture of its effectiveness.

It's at least an 80% damage bonus to all towers in range so yeah.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Radical posted:

:yikes:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Radical posted:

Tag yourself in this message. I'm f..................

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

No Wave posted:

I was getting walled trying to get a different team setup through 12-1. 12-1-1 has a pyro and an electro geovishap - once I started by focusing the electro down (the one who spawns behind you) first it was a lot easier. 12-1-2 is cryo/hydro which was a lot easier though note the cryo one is totally immune to being frozen after he triggers (the others are hard to freeze, but I'm not sure it's impossible).

12-2 is whatever, not particularly interesting.

12-3-1 is quite straightforward, you can clear it in a minute by using ults to iframe the geo aura triggers. 12-3-2 is a big damage check and hope they don't spin. Electro-charged seems to have some strange reaction on the Ruin Graders and they stop doing things. I feel like the ice cage damage was toned down from the first abyss rotation but idk I'm probably just more leveled.

12-1 is very tedious and consists of like 75% fighting the camera. Most of the time you can't see poo poo because the camera is clipping into something, either a geovishap or a wall (which they have a tendency to push you into). It's also pretty glitchy, sometimes they take no damage for no apparent reason: https://streamable.com/fpadfr

Idk if you're even supposed to use the elements they're powered up with or opposing elements.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

*Laughs in Deathmatch*

So with a Benny Aura and a Zhong shield I'm dropping guaranteed 32k crits. Xiao is dumb and awesome.

I'm actually considering hitting the artifact grind some more though, as I definitely miss the 40% ER Starglitter was giving me. It's not BAD bad with Sucrose C1 as a battery, but he felt better with that 40%.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
150 mint haul:
  • Char EXP: 2 purple / 4 blue
  • Weapon EXP: 4 blue / 9 green
  • Char ascension: 1 blue / 2 green
  • Talent books: 2 blue / 8 green

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
150 jueyun chilis:

20k mora
4 purple books
6 red books
1 blue talent book
8 green talent books

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

TheFluff posted:

12-1 is very tedious and consists of like 75% fighting the camera. Most of the time you can't see poo poo because the camera is clipping into something, either a geovishap or a wall (which they have a tendency to push you into). It's also pretty glitchy, sometimes they take no damage for no apparent reason: https://streamable.com/fpadfr

Idk if you're even supposed to use the elements they're powered up with or opposing elements.

Same happened to me, I had a run with a team of keqing, fish, albedo and jean where at some point everyone except albedo stopped doing any damage(no damage numbers no movement of hp bar) to the remaining geovishap. I spent 2 min trying to whittle it down until I quit as the bug wasn't going anywhere.

Hoping we get some apologems in return.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Radical posted:

lmao jfc

but really, these kinds of people will show up in the fanbase of anything popular, yeah?

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
150 Windwheel Asters:
  • 6 Hero's Wit
  • 12 Adventurer's Experience
  • 1 Vayuda Turquoise Fragment (i.e. 3-star Anemo gem)
  • 1 Shivada Jade Sliver
  • 1 Prithiva Topaz Sliver
  • 1 Teachings of Freedom
  • 1 Teachings of Prosperity
  • 1 Teachings of Diligence
  • 1 Teachings of Gold

ninjoatse got 4:8 EXP books and 4:9 ore last week for asters, so that's interesting.

Of note: weapon ore drops as 4:9 or not at all, judging by the reports ITT. Hero's Wits seem to drop in multiples of 2, but Adventurer's Experience varies a bit; there are reports of EXP dropping as 4:6, 4:7, and 4:8.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah testing the Desire tower more it's clearly a good investment since slots and coverage are the biggest limiting factor and it doubles the power of towers. Basically it's worse than two towers if it's only buffing one (since two of the same tower costs only slightly more and has a higher effective fire rate), but it's better than a third tower if you already have two and it can further multiply the power of Melt/Vaporize reactions so it's great buffing Pyro towers. A trio of different elements with a Desire tower definitely takes out the latest map with ease.

It's at its strongest when it can buff 3-4 other towers and in a few rare places on a few maps it can actually buff more than that at which point it's simply insane value, though I think you rarely want more than 3-4 towers in one spot with a Desire tower active anyway, you should be covering somewhere else instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn the new floor 12 sucks..can't even get past 12-1 lol. I know everyone joked about the old 12 being easier than 11, but this is pretty much almost impossible for me