Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Jayztwocents caught covid :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

Jayztwocents caught covid :ohdear:

oh no!
Baring some major pre-existing condition he only has a 97-99.98% chance of making it. He's also not elderly, and can afford and has access to some of the best medical facilities in the world.
Hes not diabetic is he? That could be cause for some actual concern, for real.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

He used to be very very fat but he's pretty healthy as of now. Still, 1-2% chance of getting hosed up is nothing to sneeze at. (pun intended)

Unrelated note: Snooki has covid too

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fauxtool posted:

oh no!
Baring some major pre-existing condition he only has a 97-99.98% chance of making it.

Death isn’t the only negative outcome possible from COVID. Many people who contract it and survive still have severe long-terms effects from it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

EngineerJoe posted:

He used to be very very fat but he's pretty healthy as of now. Still, 1-2% chance of getting hosed up is nothing to sneeze at. (pun intended)

Unrelated note: Snooki has covid too

Yeah, I'd heard it could jump species.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, I'd heard it could jump species.

Yes, COVID-19 has jumped to cats, however, COVID-19 does not appear to be able to jump back to humans at this time.

https://www.vet.cornell.edu/departm...d-feline-health

More concerningly, COVID appears to be transmissible to and from mink, as Denmark discovered last year, https://www.nbcnews.com/news/animal-news/here-s-why-denmark-culled-17-million-minks-now-plans-n1249610 and Poland found out just a few days ago. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN2AD0CX

As for how serious it can be, another goon in one of the discords has stated that their sister's voice has now permanently dropped an octave as complications from COVID. poo poo is not worth loving around and finding out!

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 16, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Bought an A6000 to replace my RTX Titan for home gaming/hobby ML. The performance gains for ML are substantial even without the architectural improvements due to the 2x VRAM. Gaming-wise, I've only run a quick test on AC: Valhalla and saw a 20% bump on 1440P. I think I need to tweak the fan settings and voltage because a quick 80% power limit actually improved frame-rates and reduced temps further. I'm a bit surprised how high Nvidia has set stock TDP for Ampere cards

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Finally got round to undervolting my 1080Ti

Got it down to 950mV stable at 1950MHz clock speed. Anything below 950 crapped it out.
Set fan speed to about 40% and never got above 60C in Heaven.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Well this is depressing. Newegg's 3080 prices went from $899 to $1399 in Canada. 3070s are now are $900 and 3060ti are 750. What a hosed up market.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Doesn't matter what the price sticker says on an empty shelf; also, egg's prices have been hosed for a while

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
I bought a gaming laptop with a 2070 from Walmart and I'm going to return it after 30 days of mining on it, earning myself about $100 in the process lol

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

stellers bae posted:

I bought a gaming laptop with a 2070 from Walmart and I'm going to return it after 30 days of mining on it, earning myself about $100 in the process lol

Unless your energy is dirt cheap I wouldn't expect to earn that much.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

CyberPingu posted:

Unless your energy is dirt cheap I wouldn't expect to earn that much.

My energy is $0.117/kWh and I'm on track to earn that much with 10 days remaining

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
For any very desperate people, Lenovo has new 2080 supers in stock for ~$672, which is around the original MSRP.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/dt/accessories-and-monitors/graphic-cards/graphic-cards/GRAPHIC-BO-TS-NV-RTX2080-Super-Graphics/p/4X61A22496

Edit: FYI sealed, brand new 2080 supers are going for about $850-$950 on ebay right now. Not saying this is a "good" deal, but might be of interest to those of you who have built a new rig but have been losers in the 3000 series F5 lottery. Could be a decent stop gap in the meantime.

mA fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 16, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

stellers bae posted:

My energy is $0.117/kWh and I'm on track to earn that much with 10 days remaining

Are you factoring in pool costs as well?

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

$649 for Perks@Work members w/ coupon. 5 month breakeven @ $0.12/kWh and current ETH prices, which is just OK imo

CyberPingu posted:

Are you factoring in pool costs as well?

Fair enough, didn't factor in the 1% pool cost + trans fee but did factor in devfee

stellers bae fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 16, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

stellers bae posted:

this was absolutely worth it for $2.90/day in profit minus whatever you spent to get to walmart in time/gas, whatever time it took to set up, and whatever time you spend returning it - which could easily be like 2 hours. absolutely,

bus hustler posted:

goons are generally dumb as dogshit

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bus hustler posted:

this was absolutely worth it for $2.90/day in profit minus whatever you spent to get to walmart in time/gas, whatever time it took to set up, and whatever time you spend returning it - which could easily be like 2 hours. absolutely, what a genius.
we get it, you hate mining
Morally dubious, yes. Financially viable, absolutely.

stellers bae posted:

Costco has a 90 day return policy dont they? just sayin

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 16, 2021

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

Costco has a 90 day return policy dont they? just sayin

lol he's not wrong, tho

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

mutata posted:

lol he's not wrong, tho

you guys realize that mining isn't something you have to sit there clicking to do right? "spent 2 hours buying and returning a laptop for $100" doesn't sound like a huge time waste.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
how easy is it convert these bitbucks into real money?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Fauxtool posted:

ill even meet you halfway because im not a crazy goon, theres a huge difference between buying a card & running nicehash to make your money back -or buying cards with the intent only to mine them full time at least- and buying a laptop to return it in 30 days from walmart for an incredibly meager profit that is less than just asking friends for a few bucks and probably comes out close to negative if you really hash out the time spent.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if there's a more direct way to destroy the planet's ecosystem for money than bitcoin i haven't found it

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you had just bought $1500 of Eth you would have made more than $100 in 30 days

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Buildzoid has a new video talkin about the GDDR6X temperature discussions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqbYW188UrE

The quick version is that the GDDR6X on a 3090 pulls about 54 watts at stock, and up to 62w with OC. Meaning on most 3090s, a dead flat little aluminum plate and some iffy grade thermal pads for the rear memory dies are trying to passively dissipate 27-31w. Hence your poor little back dies hitting Tj Max when stressed (especially in mining).

The 3080 has the advantage of all the dies being on the front of the card, where they can at least dump their heat into the big primary heatsink.

So probably worth directing some more cooling on the back of your 3090 if you wanna mine or push memory clocks.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

CyberPingu posted:

If you had just bought $1500 of Eth you would have made more than $100 in 30 days
Or even just buy an ETF index fund and you would have probably made $100 in the last 30 days.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

how easy is it convert these bitbucks into real money?

I left my 3080 mining whenever I'm not gaming to help heat my room an extra 200 watts.

The past two weeks I made a little over $120 in BTC, withdrew it from Nicehash into a Bitrefill account (you make an account and just "dump" the coins into it, with an option to instantly convert it to a USD balance at prevailing rates so it doesn't fluctuate, took 10 mins to confirm), used $90 in Bitrefill to get a Walmart gift card which bought all our groceries, sank the other $30 into an Amazon card. All-in-all the BTC network transaction fee was about 2% and the gift card purchases broken even (I think Bitrefill is subsidized for buying gift cards in bulk so they don't mark them up and they don't seem to cheat on the conversion rates).

People who mine are the scum of the earth... like Captain Planet villain level... but my normie boyfriend is legitimately impressed that I checked out of a Walmart with my funbux so I guess I'll watch the world burn for a couple months until this all crashes again.

So to answer the question if you go from Nicehash to Bitrefill then everything is like 10 minutes of work to set up once. That is unless Nicehash or Bitrefill get hacked from an inside job (like Nicehash already did once some years back) which is why I just withdraw any time I have a decent chunk. And again, converting to Walmart/Amazon/HomeDepot etc gift cards isn't exactly "real money" but it beats going on some kind of government SWAT list like if you're dumb enough to use Coinbase and change it to USD.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 16, 2021

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sounds like a quick and easy way to get audited imo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Sounds like a quick and easy way to get audited imo.

Nicehash is run by literal Eastern European criminals, Bitrefill is Swedish, and both are anonymous accounts. If the IRS can piece together that I got $90 more in hotdogs than my means would indicate, kudos to them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cygni posted:

So probably worth directing some more cooling on the back of your 3090 if you wanna mine or push memory clocks.

My guess is that eventually someone's going to decide making bespoke replacement 3090 backplates will be worth their while, especially if they can sell them to miners for $$$. I mean, a 3D printer and/or lathe, nickel-plated solid copper backplates...hell, the EVGA FTW3 has a built-in PWM fan connector - put screw holes on the back for an 80-92mm fan and leave the space over the back of the GPU open with vents allowing for direct air circulation over the G6X.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CyberPingu posted:

And if Eth crashed you'd have nothing instead of hardware you can return or resell.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
remember to file your taxes on your crypto gains, and yes mining counts

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

mobby_6kl posted:

And if Eth crashed you'd have nothing instead of hardware you can return or resell.

all for less than $100, also no eth isnt going to go to $0, if you dont have a stop loss order or some poo poo thats your dumb fault

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nybble posted:

remember to file your taxes on your crypto gains, and yes mining counts

Do you even mine, bro?

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

bus hustler posted:

this was absolutely worth it for $2.90/day in profit minus whatever you spent to get to walmart in time/gas, whatever time it took to set up, and whatever time you spend returning it - which could easily be like 2 hours. absolutely,

my state is still mostly locked down, i drive a chevy bolt, and it was kinda fun

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

stellers bae posted:

my state is still mostly locked down, i drive a chevy bolt, and it was kinda fun

nah sorry you went to walmart and bought a laptop & returned it to literally just run in a corner wasting power for the amount they ask you to donate to needy children so they can buy rice in profit per day

the forums should bully this sort of behavior and not encourage it

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

bus hustler posted:

nah sorry you went to walmart and bought a laptop & returned it to literally just run in a corner wasting power for the amount they ask you to donate to needy children so they can buy rice in profit per day

the forums should bully this sort of behavior and not encourage it

if it makes you happier the internal display adapter broke today from the heat and i can only connect an external monitor now, lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

another bitcoin success story

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
hah, i was about to ask how extended mining could affect the long term health of a home pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

stellers bae posted:

if it makes you happier the internal display adapter broke today from the heat and i can only connect an external monitor now, lmao

It does make me happier op, it really does.