Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I can't believe I missed that, that literally is how MMO's work! It's also how most JRPG's work! You take a level 90 character into a level 20 zone nothing is going to touch you. I've seen it plenty of times in WoW and other MMO's, high level players are literally untouchable by things that are significantly lower level, it's like half the premise of Overlord.

e: That scene in particular is because it was like a level 30 zone made up of like level 30 players and Kirito is like in his 60's to 70's during that chapter and he came back to the newbie zone I think to sniff out Laughing Coffin pk'ers and Kirito has special skills on top of the stats he had for that level specifically because he tends to be a solo'leveler which made him even tankier.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Now I want to see an anime about someone being isekai'd into Train Simulator and the challenge they face is acquiring all $10000 worth of DLC.

e: I may be underestimating the cost on all the DLC.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 16, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Furnaceface posted:

Now I want to see an anime about someone being isekai'd into Train Simulator and the challenge they face is acquiring all $10000 worth of DLC.

e: I may be underestimating the cost on all the DLC.

:vince:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On that note, is the SAO series any good? My only experience with it is the abridged series on YouTube (which I’ve been told is arguably better than the actual anime).

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online is good.

It's also standalone, so you don't need to know the rest of SAO to watch it. Source: I have not watched the rest of SAO.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the abridged series is very unfunny. sao itself is a bit all over the map. the first arc has some decent bits but feels very scattershot, the second arc sucks, the third arc has a pretty decent female lead but a hilariously dumb villain and a pretty weak resolution, the fourth arc is very good, the fifth arc has a strong start, a weak middle, and a decent climax. the movie, however, is extremely good.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Larryb posted:

On that note, is the SAO series any good? My only experience with it is the abridged series on YouTube (which I’ve been told is arguably better than the actual anime).

I feel its a complicated question. I think season 1 still holds up, season 2 is a step down, but it picks up with GGO (esp. the spinoff) and then with Mother Rosario is the pinnacle of SAO at its best and most cathartic. Alicization is like a soft isekai reboot and is interesting, esp. if you liked Odyssey (the Canadian TV show from the 90s).

There's a lot of people who don't like SAO and its a bit of a meme to dunk on SAO because of some bad aspects of the show in its long runtime and because it arrived on the anime scene with explosive popularity and I think ushered in a new generation of anime fans so it's a land of contrasts and some people on the internet like to bandwagon onto hating things because they're lazy.

I personally think its a fun series and there's speculative scifi aspects to it and actual attempts at philosophical themes that I pay attention to that I happen to like and derive enjoyment and engagement from, so maybe just watch the first season and see if it floats your boat?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

the abridged series is very unfunny. sao itself is a bit all over the map. the first arc has some decent bits but feels very scattershot, the second arc sucks, the third arc has a pretty decent female lead but a hilariously dumb villain and a pretty weak resolution, the fourth arc is very good, the fifth arc has a strong start, a weak middle, and a decent climax. the movie, however, is extremely good.

Do I need any knowledge of what came before in order to watch the movie?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You could probably get by just having watched the first arc, but it very much relies on the first arc since almost all the emotional stakes are in how the characters are coping with the events of that. There's a callback to the fourth arc that's a fairly big climax, too. The female leads from the second and third arcs are around but don't do much. The fifth arc is set after it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gotcha, so has the series reached a conclusion yet or is the current arc still going on?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

SAO is weird because its good at bringing up interesting core ideas but isn't written well enough to really explore them properly or do them justice.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

esp. if you liked Odyssey (the Canadian TV show from the 90s).

Was that the one with the kid in the coma? It was always half over when I got home from school.

My take on SAO:
SAO 1 - Great
SAO 2 - Good
GGO - Good-to-Great

Haven't seen the rest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Gotcha, so has the series reached a conclusion yet or is the current arc still going on?
alicazation ended, and was the ending of the original web novels, but the light novels are continuing past them. so presumably the anime will too when there's enough material to adapt.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Was that the one with the kid in the coma? It was always half over when I got home from school.

Yep! Also had a really young Ryan Reynolds in it.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

what bothers me more than power fantasies are when authors write worlds that are completely ludicrous because they don't understand how societies work at all either in a macro or micro scale or why specific historical eras were they were they were

for example there's no way there would be a world where magic is relatively common, extremely powerful, and hereditary that DOESN'T end up with magicians being a permanent ruling class after a few generations. or societies that have to deal with incredibly fast breeding monster populations that attack human populations, yet feature spread out agricultural civilian farms rather than concentrating in defensible cities that rely on hunting and monster corpses for food. incoherent worlds that look like that zybourne clock map where the slum district is directly between the rich district and the commercial zone

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Realism is boring.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ugebzq3juE

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stexils posted:

incoherent worlds that look like that zybourne clock map where the slum district is directly between the rich district and the commercial zone

No that sounds about right actually.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

it depends on tone. if a story is a comedy slice of life or has a lighter tone (like, yes, mst3k) you can say "magicans are powerful but they mostly just gently caress with people so nobody really cares" or "the entire city is built on an elephant who's kind of an rear end in a top hat" and that's fine because it's just flavor. if it's a story that wants to be more serious or feature some kind of political stakes or have the main characters interacting with society in a way that isn't just background flavor, it sticks out when there isn't any reason for anything to be the way it is.

and you know what's way more boring than realism? copy-pasted medieval lovely dark ages europe with hereditary four-elements magic that's in 10000 bad stories. you don't have to be realistic to be plausible, you just have to put a base level of thought into "why is this society like this"

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elephant Parade posted:

like when his friend dies and he has to figure out how to grieve,

Didn't he only get into that situation because he refused to show off his true power?

the main thing I remember from SAO though is the one girl dying from AIDs, which felt straight out of sonic adventure 2.

e: and then she doesn't die and is the love interest in one of the games' canon or something? it's weird.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 17, 2021

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Didn't he only get into that situation because he refused to show off his true power?

the main thing I remember from SAO though is the one girl dying from AIDs, which felt straight out of sonic adventure 2.

e: and then she doesn't die and is the love interest in one of the games' canon or something? it's weird.

No one dies of AIDS in Sonic Adventure 2 though?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Droyer posted:

No one dies of AIDS in Sonic Adventure 2 though?

Which is why I said "felt", since it was NIDS in that game. Very different. :v:

e: If you're not joking, I am 100% serious when I say the plot of sonic adventure 2 was kicked off by a little girl getting alien aids and dr. robotnik's grandfather creating the very first official edgy hedgehog OC to cure it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

There's only 2 characters I remember dying in SA2 and they both died of bullet.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Droyer posted:

i cried when sonic died in 06. he's dead and he's never coming back.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Droyer posted:

Maybe she did get shot but she 100% had aids and it felt very out of place after the plot of sonic adventure 1.

e: I don't think I ever said she died from it, just that her having it is where the plot started am I going insane :psyduck:

no when I said "the girl dying from aids" I meant the one in SAO. The way it was reminiscent of SA2 in SAO was just that the entire plotline about aids was incredibly strange to me in a story written for 13 year olds.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Stexils posted:

i cried when sonic died in 06. he's dead and he's never coming back.

Good

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes a girl died of aids in sword art online 2. Her ghost comes back in the last season for no good reason because people just had that happen a bunch in that season.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmfao at the AIDS tangent

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
ive seen her design, seems like a good reason in itself

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you 100% sonic adventure 2 battle the secret true ending where Maria dies of AIDS and thus makes Shadow hate mankind is unlocked

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Acerbatus posted:

She's alive in the game canon yes. You can date her in HF/HR but you can date just about everyone in those including Klein. I think only Kirito can date her in Fat Bullet because they only let your OC date the game-canon original characters like Seven and Rain.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

also i'm reading BEGIN and it's the most sinophobic piece of media i've seen (made this century)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Plutonis posted:

also i'm reading BEGIN and it's the most sinophobic piece of media i've seen (made this century)

Is this by the dude who did HEAT looks really similar.

I need to finish HEAT

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark I hope you are surviving/enjoying your wintery blast of weather.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's been fine. Due to lack of electricity during much of the past two days in NE Mexico, we've been unable to work for most of our shifts (my wife occasionally has to be at work, I 100% WFH), so I've been laying in bed with three dogs serving as natural warmers. The cold can kiss my rear end.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's theoretically summer here but it's also been like, 25c at best and raining for two weeks now. Weird.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Is this by the dude who did HEAT looks really similar.

I need to finish HEAT

yeah same artist (ikegami) and same writer (buronson)

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Acerbatus posted:

It's a bit more complicated than that. He joins a guild pretending to be weaker than he is, because he thinks that if he doesn't, people will be weird about it. So when he tells his guildmates "hey, you shouldn't go into this room", they don't give his words the deference they would if they knew he was more experienced... at least, that's how he reasons it out, and why he ends up feeling so guilty about it when the room is trapped and they all die. (He isn't necessarily right.)

So yes, kind of, but it's a social issue rather than a powerlevel one.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

It's been fine. Due to lack of electricity during much of the past two days in NE Mexico, we've been unable to work for most of our shifts (my wife occasionally has to be at work, I 100% WFH), so I've been laying in bed with three dogs serving as natural warmers. The cold can kiss my rear end.

I saw some pictures from north of Monterrey where they got actual snow on the ground. Also record lows across the entire north part of the country.

Now imagine that weather for 5-6 months a year, every year. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

I saw some pictures from north of Monterrey where they got actual snow on the ground. Also record lows across the entire north part of the country.

Now imagine that weather for 5-6 months a year, every year. :v:

:hfive:

Two kids were buried by a snowplow in Whitby during recess today. :smith:
(They were freed, but the second had injuries)