Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Arcturas posted:

I honestly haven't bothered with T3 assemblers. I probably ought to, to cut down the size of my green engine factories, but it doesn't seem that worthwhile for the higher tier stuff where I'm really more limited by inputs than building space, so I can just slap down a few more T2 assemblers instead.

I do like T2 assemblers because they're pretty cheap and it's way easier on the mental math to have recipes just be at-speed.

Yeah, T3 assemblers seem largely not worth it unless space is a premium. It's more than 2x the power drain for only 1.5x speed, plus a much more intensive resource cost. But the real downside is that it complicates ratios. The x1 speed of the T2 is nice since it's easy to match up number of machines to required inputs/desired outputs. And with good planning, you can expand a factory pretty easily in space.

And T1 assemblers remain fine for anything that is just building a stockpile (like your mall for assemblers/belts/sorters etc.), since manufacturing speed and ratios aren't very important there.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Gully Foyle posted:

And T1 assemblers remain fine for anything that is just building a stockpile (like your mall for assemblers/belts/sorters etc.), since manufacturing speed and ratios aren't very important there.

Generally I agree, but sometimes I run out of belts or sorters when I'm doing big construction projects. I imagine that copy/paste mod will make this worse.

Actually, maybe I'll just throw T3 belts, T3 sorters, splitters, smelters, mines, and T2 assemblers into an interstellar logistics tower so I can request them from anywhere in the universe and leave random stockpiles of a few hundred everywhere wasting space because the logi tower slider is annoying.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Arcturas posted:

Generally I agree, but sometimes I run out of belts or sorters when I'm doing big construction projects. I imagine that copy/paste mod will make this worse.

Actually, maybe I'll just throw T3 belts, T3 sorters, splitters, smelters, mines, and T2 assemblers into an interstellar logistics tower so I can request them from anywhere in the universe and leave random stockpiles of a few hundred everywhere wasting space because the logi tower slider is annoying.

You could also just clear the logi tower and dismantle it once the vessels make their supply drops if you expect to be done building on that planet for a while.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so what is a good focus after figuring out red cubes? I travelled to a nearby planet that had silicon and smelt it (first offplanet factory yaaay) then set up a green turbine plant at home

I suppose logistics is the way to go?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

so what is a good focus after figuring out red cubes? I travelled to a nearby planet that had silicon and smelt it (first offplanet factory yaaay) then set up a green turbine plant at home

yellow cubes then logistics

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Are the starting systems generally similar?

My starting world is a regular Earth-like one with Crude Oil and plenty of the regular resources (iron, copper, stone, coal). It's actually a moon around a gas giant planet.

The other non-starting planets in the system:
- Gas giant with Hydrogen and Fire Ice
- Lava planet with some Titanium and a tiny amount of Silicon
- Desert planet with some Titanium

Overall the system doesn't seem great -- no rare elements other than Fire Ice, and only my starting planet has oil.

I just now unlocked purple science and haven't made any yet. Should I look to move to another system as soon as possible? Can logistic vessels go between systems?

Other than this thread, I've been avoiding reading anything about this game because I want to discover most of it on my own, but I feel like I'm approaching a crossroads.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 16, 2021

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Are the starting systems generally similar?

My starting world is a regular Earth-like one with Crude Oil and plenty of the regular resources (iron, copper, stone, coal). It's actually a moon around a gas giant planet.

The other non-starting planets in the system:
- Gas giant with Hydrogen and Fire Ice
- Lava planet with some Titanium and a tiny amount of Silicon
- Desert planet with some Titanium

Overall the system doesn't seem great -- no rare elements other than Fire Ice, and only my starting planet has oil.

I just now unlocked purple science and haven't made any yet. Should I look to move to another system as soon as possible? Can logistic vessels go between systems?

Other than this thread, I've been avoiding reading anything about this game, because I want to discover most of it on my own, but I feel like I'm approaching a crossroads.

Starting systems are generally exactly like you describe, but with a few minor variations. Some folks have Hydrogen and Deuterium in their gas giant instead of Hydrogen and Fire Ice. Sometimes they'll get more Silicon than Titanium on the lava world.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I really like this, as my first actual factory game, and I went and played Satisfactory instead. Not sure why, DSP is more polished and it's easier for me to plan out placement at a bird's eye view, but I do wish DSP didn't feel like I was constantly fighting the conveyor belt systems...

I also don't understand why I have to have a picker and a conveyor belt. If there are 3 inputs, just display them instead of hiding them behind a picker being placed...

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Yellow cubes first. Half of it easy - diamonds are just made from graphite, super easy. The other half requires titanium plates and organic crystals to make. So in addition to the offplanet silicon factory, it's a good idea to do the same with titanium. If you are lucky, it can be the same planet. The organic crystals require a decent amounts of oil - about 5/s for a 1/s yellow cube factory. Try to find a place on your starter planet that has 3-4 crude oil seeps in relative proximity.

After yellow cubes, then logistics - first major goal is to try to get that offplanet silicon and titanium back automatically so you don't need to do personal delivery.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Seems normal for a starting system not to have any rare resources beyond maybe the gas giant.

Also T3 assemblers are great, if for no other reason than saving player time to set up a factory. That is the most valuable resource in the game, after all. As for ratios, they tend to be pretty even still, I got everything automated en masse in two giant circles around the equator of two worlds, and just about everything fits into nice even ratios of 10, 15 or 20 factories in a row. Just take the production you'd expect from T2 assemblers and cut the number of assemblers by a third. Or use a calculator

Example:

Smelting is less clean but then I got that up by a pole.

Eschatos fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 16, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Arcturas posted:

Starting systems are generally exactly like you describe, but with a few minor variations. Some folks have Hydrogen and Deuterium in their gas giant instead of Hydrogen and Fire Ice. Sometimes they'll get more Silicon than Titanium on the lava world.

I don't think a lava world is "normal" for starting systems.

I wanted to make a bigger plane filter production line and after filtering through stars for like 20 minutes hoping to find one with an ice giant, optical grating crystals, and water (a combo I couldn't find) I settled on one that had the crystals and water, plus mineable fire ice and decided to just hope for the best with the quantity. When I got to the system...

The outermost planet had literally everything I needed right next to each other for an easy production line.

Emphasis on line

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Does the fractionator use power for every hydrogen it attempts to convert or only for those it successfully converts? Based on a 1% conversion chance it looks like it’d use more power than particle colliders per unit of deuterium, unless it only spends power for a successful conversion.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Does the fractionator use power for every hydrogen it attempts to convert or only for those it successfully converts? Based on a 1% conversion chance it looks like it’d use more power than particle colliders per unit of deuterium, unless it only spends power for a successful conversion.
I think it's a flat X/sec power.

The wiki claims fractionators are five times more energy efficient than particle colliders.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Yeah, fractionator loops are so ridiculously profitable versus particle colliders I can't imagine the devs won't nerf them at some point.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Fractionators only consume the hydrogen they convert, so it's a straightfoward 1:1 hydrogen:deuterium reaction. If you're running a t3 belt through it, you're getting 0.3 deuterium per second per fractionator, on average. It's very energy-positive, especially if you're cramming that deuterium into fuel cells.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I wish there was a way for me to tell my towers to only refill a resource when they drop below a threshold so I could more easily manage my fractionator loop without relying on liquid storage tanks

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I have two fractionator loops at each pole connected with overflow splitters for the hydrogen, which are themselves looped in and out of the logi tower. I found that managed to stop logjams until the deuterium itself filled up, at which point who cares if the hydrogen backs up?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

I have two fractionator loops at each pole connected with overflow splitters for the hydrogen, which are themselves looped in and out of the logi tower. I found that managed to stop logjams until the deuterium itself filled up, at which point who cares if the hydrogen backs up?

ok but my solution is way easier. My loop has like 40 fractionators in it and it still backs up eventually

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Note that long fractionator loops are less efficient than groups of shorter ones. This is because every time a fractionator successfully converts a unit of hydrogen into deuterium, that spot is empty to every fractionator down the line until the loop hits the start again. If you've got blue belts (30 units per second) and your first fractionator triggers, every subsequent fractionator will only get 29 units in a second. Your 40th fractionator is only going to be pulling about 0.18 deuterium per second on average if I did the math right. That's only a little more than half the first one in line.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Can you just make the loop cycle through a tank and have the tank partially full of hydrogen? As long as your belts are crammed full at the start of the loop you should be able to have a T intersection right before the tank that feeds from a logistic tower and the intersection should only let through hydrogen that is replacing hydrogen spent in the last trip through the loop, so you should stay stable at the amount of hydrogen in the tank?

Also per the above comment you could put a T intersection before each fractionator?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shorter ones clog faster though, I'm not going for hyper efficiency I just want it to always work

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Can you just make the loop cycle through a tank and have the tank partially full of hydrogen? As long as your belts are crammed full at the start of the loop you should be able to have a T intersection right before the tank that feeds from a logistic tower and the intersection should only let through hydrogen that is replacing hydrogen spent in the last trip through the loop, so you should stay stable at the amount of hydrogen in the tank?

Also per the above comment you could put a T intersection before each fractionator?

The tank will eventually fill up, as will all the fractionators, which will completely jam the line.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Does the game pause in the research menu?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mayveena posted:

Does the game pause in the research menu?

it doesn't

you can actually click on what you're currently researching to see how long it's going to take to finish at your current research rate (it'll spike up and down as your research towers empty and fill if you don't have them running at constant capacity)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I've never had my 8-unit fractionator loop clog unless the deuterium storage tanks are full. Make sure you set the input priority of the splitter so that it prioritizes the loop over wherever you're shipping the external hydrogen in from.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zurai posted:

I've never had my 8-unit fractionator loop clog unless the deuterium storage tanks are full. Make sure you set the input priority of the splitter so that it prioritizes the loop over wherever you're shipping the external hydrogen in from.

as far as I can tell this is what I'm doing too but I guess I'm just dumb

which is why my requested solution is still better than whatever it is you all are doing

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

So with no circuits how do you guys control outputting oil to cracking? I have a splitter set up on my tank output line but I don't see a way to send refined oil to cracking only if oil is full or backed up. Basically I'm trying to get more than 1 belt of output coming out of my tank and only send extra oil to cracking. In factorio is was just a simple circuit on a pump saying only turn on if oil is over X.

I was thinking maybe a splitter coming out of an unused port that feeds back into the tank and only outputs extra, but tanks don't evenly output from ports right? It's just random?

I tried doing something similar to output to a second tower of tanks when the first is full but it ended up having the reverse effect of filling the second tower and leaving the original empty that's hooked up to my factory proper.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I'm not sure what you mean when you say your fractionator loops are clogging. If they're not moving while there's still room on the deuterium belt, it almost certainly means you're either (a) not running enough fractionators to reliably generate a gap along the line for hydrogen to get pulled into, or (b) not setting up your splitter priority correctly to prioritize the loop's output over outside input. If it's freezing after the deuterium output is full then that's probably fine (though I guess I don't know how well it restarts after deuterium drops again once all the hydrogen is full up, I haven't really had that problem.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Xinlum posted:

So with no circuits how do you guys control outputting oil to cracking? I have a splitter set up on my tank output line but I don't see a way to send refined oil to cracking only if oil is full or backed up. Basically I'm trying to get more than 1 belt of output coming out of my tank and only send extra oil to cracking. In factorio is was just a simple circuit on a pump saying only turn on if oil is over X.

I was thinking maybe a splitter coming out of an unused port that feeds back into the tank and only outputs extra, but tanks don't evenly output from ports right? It's just random?

I tried doing something similar to output to a second tower of tanks when the first is full but it ended up having the reverse effect of filling the second tower and leaving the original empty that's hooked up to my factory proper.

Tanks don't have priority (something I hope will change eventually) but splitters do. I think if you just put everything on one belt coming out of the tank and then feed it through a splitter with output priority to whatever non-cracking use you're using it for and put the unprioritized line towards cracking, that should work?

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what you mean when you say your fractionator loops are clogging. If they're not moving while there's still room on the deuterium belt, it almost certainly means you're either (a) not running enough fractionators to reliably generate a gap along the line for hydrogen to get pulled into, or (b) not setting up your splitter priority correctly to prioritize the loop's output over outside input. If it's freezing after the deuterium output is full then that's probably fine (though I guess I don't know how well it restarts after deuterium drops again once all the hydrogen is full up, I haven't really had that problem.

I had that happen last time I played, it should restart with no issues as soon as a gap opens up in the output.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what you mean when you say your fractionator loops are clogging.

The belts, fractionators, and logistic towers are completely full of hydrogen so nothing moves.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

IcePhoenix posted:

The belts, fractionators, and logistic towers are completely full of hydrogen so nothing moves.

If your loop is setup right it should only stall when deuterium backs up. You need to prioritize on splitters so the hydrogen comes from the loop before your outside hydrogen input. I've never had my loops back up due to hydrogen.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

This is why all the loops that I have fractionators sitting on are fed with a T junction only, not a splitter. The input is the "base" of the T, as the game logic dictates that the belt moving straight has priority and will always be moving, as such the input belt will only add until the loop is full.

I've only had it clog when the deuterium output is backed up. Once I grabbed some off just to test it they all started running again without issue.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

necrotic posted:

If your loop is setup right it should only stall when deuterium backs up. You need to prioritize on splitters so the hydrogen comes from the loop before your outside hydrogen input. I've never had my loops back up due to hydrogen.

IcePhoenix posted:

as far as I can tell this is what I'm doing too but I guess I'm just dumb

which is why my requested solution is still better than whatever it is you all are doing

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Xinlum posted:

So with no circuits how do you guys control outputting oil to cracking?

It sounds like the issue is you don't want the tank oil to go to cracking, right? Something like this, maybe?

code:
Refinery
|                                            
Splitter (Priority down the line) -------- >Tank ------> (to main line below)
|                                             ^
|                                             |
Splitter (Priority down the line) ----------Splitter (priority output up to tank)---> Cracking
|                                             
|                                             
Splitter (Priority input from above) <----- (From tank)
|
|
Main Line
The tank should only fill if the main line is backed up, and the cracking should only get used after the tank is full. The tank should only empty if there's not a full belt coming down from the refinery. I might have one splitter too many here, but this is quick and dirty and might work.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

IcePhoenix posted:

it doesn't

you can actually click on what you're currently researching to see how long it's going to take to finish at your current research rate (it'll spike up and down as your research towers empty and fill if you don't have them running at constant capacity)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I accidently left the game on all night, it was in the research screen. Should I restart?

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Arcturas posted:

It sounds like the issue is you don't want the tank oil to go to cracking, right? Something like this, maybe?

code:
Refinery
|                                            
Splitter (Priority down the line) -------- >Tank ------> (to main line below)
|                                             ^
|                                             |
Splitter (Priority down the line) ----------Splitter (priority output up to tank)---> Cracking
|                                             
|                                             
Splitter (Priority input from above) <----- (From tank)
|
|
Main Line
The tank should only fill if the main line is backed up, and the cracking should only get used after the tank is full. The tank should only empty if there's not a full belt coming down from the refinery. I might have one splitter too many here, but this is quick and dirty and might work.

Genius! I never thought to put the splitter before the tank!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, the only reason you even need the weird setup is you don't want the tank output to go to cracking. It's pretty common to use a pair of splitters and a tank to give yourself some buffer (first splitter outputs to the tank, priority is down the line; second splitter inputs from the tank, input priority is from refineries and not the tank - this way the tank will fill if your output is backed up, and will drain if your supply is less than a full belt). It's also common to use a splitter to direct overflow to cracking/thermal generation (splitter outputting to cracking/thermal, output priority is down to the main bus/line/use). Merging the two just took some finagling.

e: I actually think in my example up there you probably could just drop the first main line splitter. Two main line splitters, one with output priority down the main line, the second with input priority from the main line. Your spur line has a splitter with two outputs, one for the tank and one for the cracking, with priority to the tank. The tank's output feeds that main line splitter.

code:
Refinery
|
splitter (output priority down) ----------> splitter (output priority down) ----> cracking
|                                          |
splitter (input priority from above) <---- Tank
|
main line

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 16, 2021

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

DelphiAegis posted:

This is why all the loops that I have fractionators sitting on are fed with a T junction only, not a splitter. The input is the "base" of the T, as the game logic dictates that the belt moving straight has priority and will always be moving, as such the input belt will only add until the loop is full.

I've only had it clog when the deuterium output is backed up. Once I grabbed some off just to test it they all started running again without issue.

Yeah this is what I was imagining with T junctions so I’m glad to hear it works.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mayveena posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I accidently left the game on all night, it was in the research screen. Should I restart?

no
you've probably consumed more coal than you needed to for power, if you were using that, but for everything else it will have just filled up whatever it was consuming and then just sat there

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

I've probably been way overusing splitters now that I think about it. With no individual lanes on a belt it should be safe to just jam in T junctions as long as I don't go over 30 items a second?

I've built my entire titanium planet with every single miner being fed into a series of splitters to condense down for no reason other than I guess pulling evenly from the miners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Xinlum posted:

I've probably been way overusing splitters now that I think about it. With no individual lanes on a belt it should be safe to just jam in T junctions as long as I don't go over 30 items a second?

I've built my entire titanium planet with every single miner being fed into a series of splitters to condense down for no reason other than I guess pulling evenly from the miners.

There's no penalty to using splitters other than a slightly larger footprint and the resources to make them. You can assign explicit priority in and out, so they'll always function the way you want them to.