Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can sometimes use Ground Slam to get back onto a ledge you're slightly beneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh, ok, I can see that being a reason. Cause yeah otherwise you can fall, stop, float back up, repeat until you get higher than normally allowed by levitate.

Still annoying when I accidentally dash off a ledge and can't get back up.

Yes, I had multiple deaths from this same thing.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
It's especially annoying because it would be EXTREMELY useful in the boss fight where the boss makes you look up at all times but also punches a million holes in the floor, usually directly under you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just played little nightmares and it’s great but depth perception can really gently caress you sometimes

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

CordlessPen posted:

It's especially annoying because it would be EXTREMELY useful in the boss fight where the boss makes you look up at all times but also punches a million holes in the floor, usually directly under you.

Ugh, The Former, and yeah I hated him the first time because I didn't realize what was happening and was really confused how I was falling down when I was sure I was in the middle of the arena. Then I put two and two together and realized it was making the holes.

The Anchor was the other fight where I kept accidentally dashing off the ledge while walking. not levitating, and then falling just a teeny tiny bit and by then it was too late and couldn't dash to the other ledge since they're all the same height.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

Fun fact: if you manage to restrain yourself from punching Khalisah al-Jilani once throughout the entire series, she actually gets a bonus to her war asset. A whole +1. Bringing her from 2 to a staggering +3.

Another fun fact: If you hit her in both games, in the third she kicks YOUR rear end

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

It always felt like the most awkward narrative jiu-jitsu to justify why, no matter what moral leaning your Shephard had, they would work with Cerberus. Also something something establishing the Collectors as a threat. That's literally all I can think of because it's a complete :psyduck: of a shake-up.

They could have just framed it as the galaxy having got its arse kicked by one reaper, nobody has the resources to protect the frontier planets, and oh god some shady terrorists have stepped into the power vacuum to protect this innocent dirt farmers from space insects oh no what shall we do? Maybe we should send Commander "Goddamn" Shephard to infiltrate Cerberus and figure out this horrible mess.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The galaxy still doesn't believe in the reapers though. As far as everyone's concerned it was just a highly-advanced geth ship. Nobody cares about the frontier planets because they're just human settlements in a region that doesn't fall under council or alliance jurisdiction and nobody wants to provoke a war with the criminal factions so they're not going to send Shepard there.

Besides if you played Paragon in the first game you effectively end up reinstated as a shadow asset within Cerberus anyway.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The thing dragging down Mass Effect is that it reached peaks of 'pretty good' at best and nobody will ever not rehash the same 5 takes until the actual universe or humanity dies.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's come up before but god drat.

I picked up Hitman 2 on the cheap and started to install it. Game made it about half way before informing me the HD was full even though I have an external on my xbone. Apparently Hitman installs the main game and the different levels all separately - so that's 7 different files. 4 went on my internal HD.

SO dig around, find my settings, set games to install on the external, then go back and remove the half the game it installed before quitting and shuffle some other poo poo around. Oddly, I've heard that installing on an external actually helps load times when you'd think it'd be the opposite.

Finally get everything right and go to play some Hitman 2 and also download the free content that Hitman: The Complete First Season says have coming to me and BOOM. Game needs an update and looks to take 40 minutes. I shoved this disc in my machine around 1:00 pm and it's almost 3:30. Now just watch. The Xbone is going to need a system update to get me online.

I swear, I really miss the days of popping in the disc or the cartridge and just playing a game to kill an hour or 90 minutes. Just installing this bitch has already eaten up that time. Playing my Wii sometimes is oddly refreshing. I can be bowling or hitting a baseball in a minute.

So that's annoying enough but it's also weird to me that...is this HD/game determining that each level here is it's own game or file? That seems like a weird way to do things. All my Batman and Resident Evil DLC is under those game's main menus.

And yes, I do tie an onion to my belt and yell at clouds.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Devil May Cry 4 SE

I played the original to death on 360 and loved it so picked this up in Steam sale.
It looks great (I'm sure the HD upgrades make it look like 'how I remember it' rather than how it actually probably looked).

Oh god the hand cramps, these are what drag it down. And I haven't even unlocked any of the charge moves yet, just killed Belial.
Is there a friendlier control scheme? Using a wired 360 pad.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BiggerBoat posted:

So that's annoying enough but it's also weird to me that...is this HD/game determining that each level here is it's own game or file? That seems like a weird way to do things. All my Batman and Resident Evil DLC is under those game's main menus.

Hitman 1 was an episodic game and while H2 was not, they retained the same file structures/setup/whatever you'd call it. It's one of the things they changed for H3 and alongside a better compression method (because of better console hardware) it drastically reduced the total install size.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Honestly the main problem with ME is that nobody else has bothered to make a space opera RPG where you're basically an old-timey Spaaaaace Hero of The Fuuuuture!

Like every other western RPG over the past couple of generations is some flavor of Dark Fantasy or Gritty Dystopia. Every space game is a 4x or a Capitalism Simulator.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly the main problem with ME is that nobody else has bothered to make a space opera RPG where you're basically an old-timey Spaaaaace Hero of The Fuuuuture!

That would require some measure of hope for the future.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Maxwell Lord posted:

A Tom Strong or Adam Strange RPG would actually be sick as hell

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Byzantine posted:

I mean, earth isn't a nuclear hellhole in Mass Effect :v:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BiggerBoat posted:

It's come up before but god drat.

I picked up Hitman 2 on the cheap and started to install it. Game made it about half way before informing me the HD was full even though I have an external on my xbone. Apparently Hitman installs the main game and the different levels all separately - so that's 7 different files. 4 went on my internal HD.

SO dig around, find my settings, set games to install on the external, then go back and remove the half the game it installed before quitting and shuffle some other poo poo around. Oddly, I've heard that installing on an external actually helps load times when you'd think it'd be the opposite.

This is one thing that drives me nuts with the Xbox. "your internal drive is full do you want me to install this to the external?" every time. Yes, that is in fact why I have attached a 2TB drive to you, to install things too. Just go for it

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

NonzeroCircle posted:

Devil May Cry 4 SE

I played the original to death on 360 and loved it so picked this up in Steam sale.
It looks great (I'm sure the HD upgrades make it look like 'how I remember it' rather than how it actually probably looked).

Oh god the hand cramps, these are what drag it down. And I haven't even unlocked any of the charge moves yet, just killed Belial.
Is there a friendlier control scheme? Using a wired 360 pad.

The only thing I changed was to set Shoot to RT with Nero to be able to charge shots while doing other stuff. Depending on your style, you might want to do something similar with Vergil, but I never felt the need to.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mierenneuker posted:

Hitman 1 was an episodic game and while H2 was not, they retained the same file structures/setup/whatever you'd call it. It's one of the things they changed for H3 and alongside a better compression method (because of better console hardware) it drastically reduced the total install size.

JFC, now it's updating each individual level before it will let me play online, And if I'm not online, none of my goals, accomplishments, unlocks and objectives get saved. I'll post again around midnight (tomorrow) when I finally get to play the motherfucker and give you guys my thoughts on what little things are dragging this game down

I keep starting the game, sitting through the logo credits, and then get asked to update (level - 7 minutes). I just want to play my new game god drat.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Hitman 2 is very good (haven't played 3 yet) but yeah, mechanically the trilogy is a total mess. The Always Online is without question the worst part of it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I have an absurd amount of time and patience for Deadly Premonition 2 and its various technical and design shortcomings, but following up a very annoying multi-part fetch quest with ANOTHER annoying multi-part fetch quest is really pushing it.

And I don't care if York lampshades it by saying he's sick of fetch quests.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I love the new Hitman trilogy, but if they ever turn off the servers without patching out the always online poo poo, I'm never buying another IO game again.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Necrothatcher posted:

I have an absurd amount of time and patience for Deadly Premonition 2 and its various technical and design shortcomings, but following up a very annoying multi-part fetch quest with ANOTHER annoying multi-part fetch quest is really pushing it.

And I don't care if York lampshades it by saying he's sick of fetch quests.

It's always bad form for a piece of media to point out when it's being boring and stupid, and doubly so for a videogame, that you have to actually do instead of just watch.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

Not really. Star Trek II was directed by a guy who thoroughly believed humanity would nuke itself out of existence before 2000.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Byzantine posted:

The humanity is doomed approach is so tired. Just believe in it, it costs you nothing and will make everything in your life so much more joyful.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Leal posted:

Another fun fact: If you hit her in both games, in the third she kicks YOUR rear end

I seem to remember she just ducks it and quips at you for trying it again. Where upon you can just punch her again and she doesn't dodgeit. Unless i'm thinking of her in 2,

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bony tony posted:

It's always bad form for a piece of media to point out when it's being boring and stupid, and doubly so for a videogame, that you have to actually do instead of just watch.

My favorite example is from one of the later foundation books, where there's a conversation along the lines of

"Oh, didn't you think it was TOO CONVENIENT for you to get exposition about this little-known fact, or for you to learn this important backstory? Or these other plot contrivances? No, it was I!"

And my response as a reader was "Well it honestly seemed like bad writing but I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, Asimov. But now you *want* me to scrutinize everything that seems like bad writing, because oh boy this book will not hold up to that."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Like every other western RPG over the past couple of generations is some flavor of Dark Fantasy or Gritty Dystopia. Every space game is a 4x or a Capitalism Simulator.

You'd think a Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers game would be a no-brainer given both give an easy explanation for why the main character (and therefore the player) need everything explained to them other than amnesia.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Creative Assembly has had decades to refine the Total War series to what it is today. Dozens of games, god knows how much DLC, and huge waves of patches, bug fixes and design iterations, but despite all that I still can't reliably order friendly units to attack enemy units on walls.

800 vicious goblin warriors, beating their bloody fists on an invisible barrier, still unable to walk 100 feet down a 50 foot wide wall to take the gatehouse from 30 terrified knife-earred gits.

Edit: Also chasing effectively-dead elven archers and cavalry across the battle map while they plink at my dudes for 3/4 of each battle loving sucks, it's a waste of goddamn time and only serves to whittle down my goblins to the point that they still heal completely by the next turn.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Feb 18, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Conversation about Disgaea 6:

Endorph posted:

yeah, even if they reuse as many sprites as possible they have to make at least a few new ones per game. plus new mechanics tend to require new animations. making the switch now means even if 6 is a bit lacking in content they have a much easier time adding stuff to it for 7.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Shoulda learned from Capcom imo and just stuck with the same sprites forever no matter how much the resolution for new sprites changed

What are the least graceful uses of asset reuse? Where some character or prop looks jarring as hell because it's been reused years past it's inception without so much as a makeover? I've mentioned before when a PS4 Sherlock Holmes shared the same room as a PS3 Lestrade.

Yakuza Kiwami is a game that layers 2015 assets on the rigging of a 2005 game, and thus the cutscene-animations are stiffer than previous titles. This is made obvious by the addition of new story interludes between chapters. Suddenly everyone is a shitton more lively since they're not shot-for-shot remaking a craky old game.

It did give us this gif.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ugh, The Former, and yeah I hated him the first time because I didn't realize what was happening and was really confused how I was falling down when I was sure I was in the middle of the arena. Then I put two and two together and realized it was making the holes.

The Anchor was the other fight where I kept accidentally dashing off the ledge while walking. not levitating, and then falling just a teeny tiny bit and by then it was too late and couldn't dash to the other ledge since they're all the same height.

Pal if you hated the former wait til you get to the latter

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Kiwami also has a weird spot where it's mostly set in 2005, except for a prologue in 1995. They do a good job of mostly cordoning off your play area to only parts that wouldn't have changed in that time... except that the window in a really important scene does open directly to a sign advertising DVDs. And they prominently focus on that window, so you see it, and it kinda takes you out of the scene really hard.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm finally playing through Doom-thousand-sixteen after bouncing off a few times, and I keep getting lost in the levels which seem to have a lot of verticality to them. Getting flashbacks to OG Doom there so good job I guess.

Rip and tear... I mumble to myself as I gently caress around with automap every 20 meters like a tourist.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Here's something dragging down DOOM 2016 that'll hopefully help you. Towards the end of the game there's a level where you have to pick up an armor drop to continue the level. I had full armor so I ran around the whole map five or six times before I accidentally ran into it and triggered some walls to fall.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also playing Doom 2016 atm and what's dragging things down for me is how easily the classic level levers blend into the background. and i mean i guess that's the point... they are secrets... but i ran past the same loving lever in the first two missions a dozen times before identifying them. don't even know why i am so annoyed. I have the old Dooms and have played them a million times.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice

- Senua moves like a mollusc. When ‘running’.
- Sometimes I feel I’m just wandering around the same area until something triggers without any input from me.
- I spent 40 minutes trying to open a door after solving the puzzle. I was sure I must have missed something so I looked up a guide but, apparently, I was fine. It turns out I’d just not found precisely the right pixel to stand on to trigger the door-opening animation.

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2005)

- Galaxy Conquest: For the love of God, Empire please stop invading Dagobah - I’m sick of playing on (or in space above) this lovely map.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dagobah is rich in valuable wartime resources, like sludge and haunted caves.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Conversation about Disgaea 6:

What are the least graceful uses of asset reuse? Where some character or prop looks jarring as hell because it's been reused years past it's inception without so much as a makeover? I've mentioned before when a PS4 Sherlock Holmes shared the same room as a PS3 Lestrade.

Yakuza Kiwami is a game that layers 2015 assets on the rigging of a 2005 game, and thus the cutscene-animations are stiffer than previous titles. This is made obvious by the addition of new story interludes between chapters. Suddenly everyone is a shitton more lively since they're not shot-for-shot remaking a craky old game.

It did give us this gif.

Warriors Orochi is basically Musou Smash Bros, so in Orochi 4 you've got a few characters that haven't had their movesets updated in over a decade and are just weak as hell due to the series' power creep.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Vic posted:

I'm finally playing through Doom-thousand-sixteen after bouncing off a few times, and I keep getting lost in the levels which seem to have a lot of verticality to them. Getting flashbacks to OG Doom there so good job I guess.

Rip and tear... I mumble to myself as I gently caress around with automap every 20 meters like a tourist.

Yeah, I definitely went through that a few times. They also made a nice 3D map in game, but then didn't give the ability to rotate the view. Some of the levels have a lot of vertical layers to them and I couldn't see where I was on the map because it was hidden by a higher layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Was there ever a good Dagobah level in a Star Wars game?