Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I Before E posted:

As with a lot of things, it depends on what the first promotion has the money and willingness to do about it. If Ibushi decided to go rogue and do DDT shows without NJPW's permission, they could shut that down immediately by declaring a tag match between the Bushiroad and Cyberfight lawyers

the IGF iwgp/third belt was kinda a version of this, as inoki recognized lesnar as the IWGP champ when he formed IGF despite new japan already having stripped him of the belt and tana being their champ. i admit that i wasn't following japanese wrestling close at all at the time tho so i'm not enitrely sure when in this timeline New Japan recognized it as a split belt before the eventual reunification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know how to phrase this question, but what are some good examples of inherently sloppy moves? Moves that don't quite allow for a clean bump. The go-to example I'm thinking of is the headlock driver. It feels like the kind of move that could only be invented by a guy doing hardcore indies. Amazing Red's headscissors DDT also springs to mind.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The 24 Sai.

E: And also the Phoenixplex. Anything that happens when Ibushi starts getting ideas, really.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 15, 2021

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The Ganso Bomb always looks like a botch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As you probably know, that's because it's just a legendary botch.

I don't necessarily mean just dangerous head-plants; I was watching videos of stuff like Ogawa's STO, reverse STOs, and rolling cutters, and thinking about how much they rely on being done a very specific way and taken a very specific way in order to look good. There are a lot of judo moves that don't quite make sense in wrestling because they don't allow the guy to take a front or back bump that the audience can see clearly

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know how to phrase this question, but what are some good examples of inherently sloppy moves? Moves that don't quite allow for a clean bump. The go-to example I'm thinking of is the headlock driver. It feels like the kind of move that could only be invented by a guy doing hardcore indies. Amazing Red's headscissors DDT also springs to mind.

the Last Shot generally looks like rear end because to do it safely Cole has to either skim the top of their head & hope they tip over before Cole clears him, or just knee the dude square in the back. Most back-of-the-head strikes qualify for this because the one taking it is just guessing when to start selling & hoping they don't look like an idiot, like that guy that eliminated himself in a battle royal because some dude in the crowd pegged him in the back of the head with a bucket of popcorn.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Halloween Jack posted:

this describes like half of what El Generico did, but especially the turnbuckle brainbuster

I thought he killed someone every single time

related, I think yakuza kicks only look good when they look sloppy as hell. It's not a big boot, I want the wrestler to hurl themselves across the ring foot first

edit: I might be confusing the meaning of "sloppy" but when I think sloppy I think moves that do not look like they went as intended

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 16, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Doomsday Device always seemed really hard to safely bump from.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TheKingslayer posted:

I always felt like if they did the version where animal fell over backwards with the victim it was probably safer/easier to take than if they did the version where animal just stayed standing (and sometimes gave the victims legs a shove up) and they rotate through 270 degrees before hitting the mat.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The F5 seems like it ends in a side bump more often than not lately, which seems like a recipe for blowing out your shoulder.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TheKingslayer posted:

Henry Godwin had his neck broken with one.

Animal told a story about when they debuted the move; apparently in the back Arn Anderson cursed "We got to take that now?"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

They couldn't because it's owned by Taz. Certain IPs created in ECW were created by the wrestlers who were not under a contract that gave the company the rights to everything created by the company. Others like the Dudleys were considered to be created by the company and thus now owned by WWE although many of the wrestlers disputed this.
I wonder if that hits a grey area of copyright though, since WWE Network hosts all of the footage where it appeared. I think they'd probably have to (and want to) replace the Taz nameplate at the top with ECW, but if they ever decided to reboot the brand again, based on the fact that they own the property it came from, couldn't they theoretically bring 'back' an "ECW FTW Championship" without legal repercussions?

I wonder also if the same would apply for Zack Ryder's Internet title, since that was never officially recognized. Does WWE own that copyright too, or does Matt Cardona?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Watching the aew women's tourney tonight the ring seemed much smaller than american rings. Was it a trick of the venue or are Joshi rings smaller?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LionYeti posted:

Watching the aew women's tourney tonight the ring seemed much smaller than american rings. Was it a trick of the venue or are Joshi rings smaller?

the show was filmed at the Ice Ribbon Dojo so it was a noticeably smaller ring, yes

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LionYeti posted:

The Ice Ribbon Dojo is small

bartok
May 10, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

The Steiners did a way more dangerous looking variation where instead of a clothesline Rick would do a bulldog and I think a few times even did a DDT.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah IIRC Buff taking a top-rope bulldog from the Steiners is how he broke his neck

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

The Spanish Fly isn't necessarily inherently unsafe, because I have seen super acrobatic dudes execute it really well. But for some reason it seems like everyone has started doing them in recent years? Lightweights, heavyweights, short wrestlers, tall wrestlers, indie workers, midcarders, maineventers. I see a bunch of times where random people who never climb the ropes both take ten seconds trying to balance themselves on the top rope before rotating 3/4 of the way in the air simultaneously with another person, and if either of them over or under rotate, or if either of them flip a little off axis it looks like someone's life is on the line. And it's about as believable as a Canadian Destroyer in the first place, so all I end up thinking about during it is the performers anyway.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Halloween Jack posted:

Big Show's short-lived cobra clutch backbreaker toss.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

bartok posted:

The Steiners did a way more dangerous looking variation where instead of a clothesline Rick would do a bulldog and I think a few times even did a DDT.
Yeah, those were unsafe moves by teams who were protected and allowed to work too stiff. I never got the impression that the Road Warriors were bullies like the Steiners, they just got really over when they were still green and encouraged to work that way. Then there's the Shaker Heights Spike, which is just an uncontrolled fall onto your head--but the 3D is arguably the safe, actually-a-wrestling-move version.

I also just remembered when Misawa, once, tried to do some move that is called the Diamond Head for some reason. He only tried it once, it was clearly a botch, and people aren't sure exactly what it was supposed to look like. I think it was supposed to be a powerbomb turned into a sidewalk slam.

For not-dangerous-head-drop maneuvers, Kensuke Sasaki has that not-actually-a-judo-throw where he can't help landing in a heap with his opponent.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

That rules

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

oldskool posted:

like that guy that eliminated himself in a battle royal because some dude in the crowd pegged him in the back of the head with a bucket of popcorn.

Lmao what??

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

There's an old anecdote about a battle royal in the 60s or 70s and apparently the story goes a guy won, and someone in the crowd threw something into the ring, hitting him, and he sold it because he thought it was a wrestler "attacking" him, so he went over the top rope.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's in Foley's book as a story Brian Hildebrand told him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

Is the Pedigree actually safe? I remember the one guy (Cham Pain?) taking it vertically, but it seems like a move where A.) you're landing on your face with little control, since your arms are tied up, and B.) Hunter's knees hold you in place, but could potentially add injury if he applies pressure or goes limp.

Otherwise, the Shaker Heights Spike is stupidly loving dangerous and looks like it, too.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Trips releases the butterfly halfway through and has done it that way for a very long time so the pedigree is one of the safest moves of all

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Triple H almost always releases the guys arms on the Pedigree now, so that the guy taking the move can break his fall with his hands. I would think it's much safer now that it would've been in the 90s.

E: F, b.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Judo throws to set up submissions look really cool

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Also, I believe Garner randomly thought he was supposed to go up like a Tiger Driver, at least if I remember the story right.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

davidbix posted:

Also, I believe Garner randomly thought he was supposed to go up like a Tiger Driver, at least if I remember the story right.

The audible reaction of horror from the crowd is 100% justified though, yikes.

I remember stumbling on a clip from a dark match where HHH finished his opponent with the diamond cutter, but apparently DDP politely asked him not to use it, I think?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The audible reaction of horror from the crowd is 100% justified though, yikes.

I remember stumbling on a clip from a dark match where HHH finished his opponent with the diamond cutter, but apparently DDP politely asked him not to use it, I think?

Yep. DDP had just started getting a reaction when HHH switched to a cutter, so he called Trips and asked "Could you please not use it; I'm finally getting over?" and Trips replied "Done."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Yep. DDP had just started getting a reaction when HHH switched to a cutter, so he called Trips and asked "Could you please not use it; I'm finally getting over?" and Trips replied "Done."

The rarest of sightings in the wild, HHH doing something selfless

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Karma came calling when they had to do all those jobber matches for the Steiners later.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Other than thr Bellas, have there been any popular twins in wrestling? Has there ever been an Olsen-like switch of twins playing one character?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Red posted:

Is the Pedigree actually safe? I remember the one guy (Cham Pain?) taking it vertically, but it seems like a move where A.) you're landing on your face with little control, since your arms are tied up, and B.) Hunter's knees hold you in place, but could potentially add injury if he applies pressure or goes limp.

Otherwise, the Shaker Heights Spike is stupidly loving dangerous and looks like it, too.

It's a safe move but watching back through the Monday Night Wars so many guys won't take the Pedigree bump right. Lots of guys hitting their knees then falling down instead of full extension.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Jimmy and Jey Uso are twins, I’m told. As are the Dudley Boyz, but they’re not identical.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Other than thr Bellas, have there been any popular twins in wrestling? Has there ever been an Olsen-like switch of twins playing one character?

Earl and Dave Hebner did a twin magic angle in some old Hogan/Andre match where Ted DiBiase had paid off one of them to cheat, think that's about as close as it comes

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Aye Doc posted:

Earl and Dave Hebner did a twin magic angle in some old Hogan/Andre match where Ted DiBiase had paid off one of them to cheat, think that's about as close as it comes

Stupid as it sounds, Demolition used to twin magic during matches. Even though it doesn't take a genius to tell that Axe and Crush aren't the same guy.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Stupid as it sounds, Demolition used to twin magic during matches. Even though it doesn't take a genius to tell that Axe and Crush aren't the same guy.

there seem to be more instances of people who look nothing alike doing this than actual cases of twins executing Twin Magic.

-Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods at Payback 2015
-Kurt and Eric Angle apparently did this in WWE, and then Kurt took the strat with him to TNA to use with... Frank Trigg.
-The Basham Brothers apparently did it
-gonna copy paste in full from tvtropes for this one:

quote:

WCW played this straight in at least one singles match between Mike Enos and Chavo Guerrero Jr.. Enos's tag partner, Dick Slater, switched with Enos despite having different hair and a significant size and age difference between the two. The referee did not notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'd completely forgotten about the Angle brothers. That was actually a really solid switcheroo if I'm remembering it right.