Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Really burying the lede in Mary Worth here.

Well it is true that an abused person with PTSD relating the story to a brand new friend may not quite be forthright with everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Well it is true that an abused person with PTSD relating the story to a brand new friend may not quite be forthright with everything
Yeah, that's true.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Bloop posted:

Even still, I just went back and reread the last two weeks' worth of strips. There has been no build-up or indication in any way that we were approaching "Well, there's...one other thing about my late husband that I...haven't really discussed with anybody..." territory.

Nope, out of nowhere, Tuesday strip, "I love my little dog." "Oh yeah! I do love my dog, too, one time when my late husband tried to shoot me, she jumped in front of the gun!"

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

The Bloop posted:

When I was young, my father took our dog out and shot it so he wouldn't 'lose' him in the divorce. He said it took him a while to think over which of us he loved more and couldn't stand to lose. He picked the dog.

This was the 70s so the cops pretty much just wagged fingers at him and told him 'somebody could have gotten hurt, next time do it in the basement'.

But I don't like, LEAD with that when telling people about my childhood, so I can kinda understand burying that.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
These aren't called "soap opera strips" because of their sober adherence to realism.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

When I was young, my father took our dog out and shot it so he wouldn't 'lose' him in the divorce. He said it took him a while to think over which of us he loved more and couldn't stand to lose. He picked the dog.

This was the 70s so the cops pretty much just wagged fingers at him and told him 'somebody could have gotten hurt, next time do it in the basement'.

But I don't like, LEAD with that when telling people about my childhood, so I can kinda understand burying that.

Jesus, how horrible. My sympathies.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

I can't tell if I've already posted this one. At some point GoComics runs out of Kliban content but I'm pretty sure we're not quite there yet.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

rannum posted:

I think the strips with the.............children...? teeeeeens? young adults????? in mammlia are my least favorite

they're probably the least interesting characters in the strip and even when they're older they still just look like little goblins

I can't tell how old anyone in that comic is, there was that image with the cast of characters and their professions and one woman was listed as "College student" but looked like she was 60. And I mean, there are plenty of older people who go to college but I genuinely had no idea if she's supposed to be a senior citizen in college or if the artist just can't draw young people.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I wonder if the New Mark Trail fireworks yacht police helicopter explosion is maybe making fun of the abrupt ending to the Dr. Vargo saga.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I think we're supposed to think some fireworks went off near the helicopter but everyone on it is fine, the damage was just the speedboat and some paint off the yacht.

And some drowned/eaten by alligator goons.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
That's certainly something, Mary Worth.

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sept. 5th, 1940

Axa

manero
Jan 30, 2006

My name is Buck, and I fuckin' suck

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can't tell how old anyone in that comic is, there was that image with the cast of characters and their professions and one woman was listed as "College student" but looked like she was 60. And I mean, there are plenty of older people who go to college but I genuinely had no idea if she's supposed to be a senior citizen in college or if the artist just can't draw young people.
They definitely can't draw children.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

JethroMcB posted:

Even still, I just went back and reread the last two weeks' worth of strips. There has been no build-up or indication in any way that we were approaching "Well, there's...one other thing about my late husband that I...haven't really discussed with anybody..." territory.

Nope, out of nowhere, Tuesday strip, "I love my little dog." "Oh yeah! I do love my dog, too, one time when my late husband tried to shoot me, she jumped in front of the gun!"

This happens with domestic violence. The brain does some odd and amazing things to keep one on an even keel after some inadvertent coaster rides through some dark tunnels. Unpacking it later can be extremely uneven, chaotic.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Oct. 17, 1943)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The thing I'm wary of is how Mary Worth is going to make this storyline end with a toxic moral. You just know Eve will magically get over her trauma for some stupid reason.

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's this. The artist is just bad at depicting anyone under the age of 30. Note that the mom and dad in the latest comic look like they're around 40, but they're actually supposed to be in their mid-20s since they had a baby out of wedlock while they were still teenagers. Then there's their daughter looking like a terrible gremlin.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Joining the chorus of WHAT THE poo poo MARY WORTH

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I would legit enjoy if the rest of the week was just Oldman Doghugger being like "wait what the gently caress?" and helping her realize just how hosed up it is because sometimes folks don't realize the magnitude of trauma in a moment.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard, gay sharks babey!!!

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
So I've not been reading this thread and just caught up on the last five pages, WHAT THE gently caress MARY WORTH and all, and the current Zits theme looks to be bad, but there was this in the OP:

Zits: Older middle aged couple love their son, have mostly forgotten they also have another son.

They have another son? I really don't remember that.

edit: oh and that was a very good OP, thanks

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 17, 2021

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set knows that you're paying for the name.

Working Daze can mean two things.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is incisive commentary!

Cul De Sac might be thinking of something else.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (March 2, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 12, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)
Banana Oil is born.

Gay and Her Gang (March 22, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 22, 1935)

Dark Laughter (November 1, 1941)

Mopsy Sunday (July 27, 1947)

Those Were the Days (August 23, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (May 13, 1965)

Wee Pals (May 13, 1965)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

So I've not been reading this thread and just caught up on the last five pages, WHAT THE gently caress MARY WORTH and all, and the current Zits theme looks to be bad, but there was this in the OP:

Zits: Older middle aged couple love their son, have mostly forgotten they also have another son.

They have another son? I really don't remember that.

Early in the strip's run, they did a couple stories with Jeremy's older brother, Chad, coming home from college. Since then, though, Chad has never appeared or been mentioned in the strip, and it's pretty clear the creators have sent him off to live with Lyman and Calvin's Uncle Max.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Selachian fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 17, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (March 2, 1918)

Now I'm wondering how many brain genuises have tried similar things today. I know that 'don't throw hot water on your windshield in winter, dumbass' has kept lowkey making the rounds for a reason.

This also led me down a rabbithole of finding out when people started salting roads and sidewalks so people died/got injured less trying to travel in winter:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/2/140212-road-salt-shortages-melting-ice-snow-science/ posted:

The rock salt under Detroit was first discovered in 1895. Development of the resource proceeded slowly until 1914, when the salt mine produced 8,000 tons of rock salt each month, much of it hauled by donkeys, lowered into, but reportedly never brought back up, from the mine. Because of its local resource, Detroit was the first city in the world to apply salt to its roads in 1940.

Detroit's salt mines closed for a time in 1983, due to falling prices for salt, but they were reopened in 1998. The massive complex includes more than 100 miles (160 kilometers) of tunnels about 1,200 feet (365 meters) below the city and stretches from the suburb of Dearborn in the northwest to Allen Park in the southwest.
I assume that salting sidewalks started around the same time as salting roads.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 28, 1933)

Peanuts (February 19, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean, in which oh joy, we're dragging this out another day.

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 17, 1937)

Out Our Way (February 10-12, 1936)

(Spoilered for another Ick joke.)

Toonerville Folks (March 19-21, 1917, but wait, there's more. Keep reading.)

So I've finally found more than one source for Toonerville. New Orleans is still the best picture quality so far, but with multiple papers to check I can finally address the bane of my existence: instead of publishing the dailies on Monday-Saturday (AS GOD INTENDED), the 1917 Times-Picayune editors just drop them in whenever, in whatever order they feel like. So tonight I opened up a spreadsheet to make my first stab at a Grand Unified Toonerville Database (GUT-D) to establish the most likely officially sanctioned publication order of these terribly important cartoon panels.

For instance, in the Richmond (VA) Times-Dispatch, the third one up there was published on the 20th, and the second one was the 21st. Y'see? It changes EVERYTHING. This is terribly important. Admit I'm right. :tinfoil:

(Seriously, I am going to start keeping track of all that to be sure we're not missing anything, which is almost guaranteed with a shuffle-play publishing schedule.)

(Also, I got wrapped up in doing that, so ducks kinda flew off again.)

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Kids love swapping the mouthpieces on their instruments, as a prank

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Selachian posted:

Early in the strip's run, they did a couple stories with Jeremy's older brother, Chad, coming home from college. Since then, though, Chad has never appeared or been mentioned in the strip, and it's pretty clear the creators have sent him off to live with Lyman and Calvin's Uncle Max.

I've heard about this several times and was curious enough to find some of the strips.
Zits
(July 18, 1997 - second week of the strip)

(October 21, 1997)

(December 25 - 31, 1997)

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I dunno, Rutherford B. Hayes had a pretty interesting life.

https://youtu.be/PtFLwTYa-_k

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

they’re supposed to be in middle school?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Had to spoil Mary Worth for myself today

The reveal of the shooting goes completely unaddressed, back to how important the bond with the dog is. My money is definitely on this not being a Very Special Story about internalizing the horrors of abuse or PTSD, just a Very Bad One

nishi koichi posted:

they’re supposed to be in middle school?

After the big dramatic timeskip a while back (more than a year ago by this point, right?) Hil is in 8th grade

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
every character has the exact same semi-snarky voice, i would have figured high school

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Slammy posted:

I've heard about this several times and was curious enough to find some of the strips.
Zits
(July 18, 1997 - second week of the strip)

I believe the creators revised Chad after these first few appearances -- I recall him eventually turning into a beardy, laid-back guy who rather resembled Zonker from Doonesbury, and they dropped the whole business of Chad being unattainably superior to Jeremy. This was shortly before he vanished from the strip entirely. Haven't yet been able to find the strips where Chad II appeared, though.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 17, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I'm amused that there seemed to be no reason for Axa to lose her top again. It just seemed to be gone when she was thrown into the arena, like the artist got bored of not dotting nipples.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Okay: lol

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The level of smugness emanating from Funky Winkerbean really is astounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Reverse Holbrook

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/16/01

Brenda Starr 11/29-12/1/45

Credit to Messick, that is a pretty striking couple of last panels.

Smokey Stover 6/26-28/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus ad! Santa not getting you what you want? Mug him!