Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Have they changed their logo?

Did they change it because I mocked it in this thread last year?? I'd like to think so.

(seriously that logo was utter garbage)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Vitamin P posted:

I realise you're an ethnonationalist idiot but a genuine Galaxy Brain Meme moment most politically aware people have at some point in their lives is that Britain is actually pretty good.

If your soul was floating down to earth and you were gonna be gay or trans then the UK would be a good spot to aim for. If you were gonna be a woman it would be a good spot to aim for. If you were gonna be disabled it would be a good spot to aim for. This is objectively true if measured against almost any other place a soul might happen to land.

if your soul was the son (ideally) of someone whose soul was already pretty loving rich it would be an awesome place to aim for.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

You say "I'm really sorry, would love to help, but I've been advised by my solicitor not to make any statements to the police before speaking to them,". You then say you don't have your solicitors number in your phone and don't feel comfortable saying the name of the firm. If they really press then you call your mate and say "Hey turns out I don't have their number saved in my phone, do you mind texting it to me?" and then if your mate is sound they send a text 3 hours later saying 'hey couldn't find the number, are you in trouble?".

If you're not minded to have anything to do with the police, a much better stock response to being spoken to on the street is "why do you ask?" They might say "I think you might be a witness to something", you can say "sorry I didn't see anything" and be on your way. If they're being vaguely accusatory, try "sorry, what's this about?", listen to the answer, then tell them you're leaving and see if they try to stop you. Either it's over and you're walking away, or you know where you stand and can figure out what to do next.

Opening with "I want to talk to my solicitor before I say anything" is a big escalation that's all but impossible to come back from, and is very likely going to make the police want to know why you think you need one because they said "good afternoon".

Jose posted:

maybe you just have a different view of reputable than the rest of the world

OK, what do you mean by that? Are we going down the "current institutions are beyond saving and anyone who engages with them is morally compromised" line, something like that? Is there some other point you'd like to make that might lead to some interesting insights, instead of just belching hundreds of contextless Twitter links and one-line "lol" posts into the void every month?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Trin Tragula posted:

Is there some other point you'd like to make that might lead to some interesting insights, instead of just belching hundreds of contextless Twitter links and one-line "lol" posts into the void every month?

Hey that's not fair, sometimes he adds the thunk emoji

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i dont think the police say good afternoon anymore since like loving inspector morse and even he was frowning and totally not up for it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My soul could land in the ocean and I could be a fish. Of course that does not preclude me being a happy, british fish as we know, but I think I would rather be a gay fish on the whole.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'd be one of those fish that can change gender at will. I bet that's a lot of fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're into being stepped on by giant mommy also I think there's fish that do that too.

Honestly the fish have it right tbh.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Britain is actually one of the best places in the world that novel coronaviruses actually want to come to.
It chose to come to England because the novel in question is a novel about a boy wizard who dreams one day of becoming a powerful transphobe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think I would rather be a gay fish on the whole.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Personally if I feel uncomfortable when the police come and talk to me I shout something Arabic sounding and run away safe in the knowledge that they won't arrest me for fear of seeming Islamaphobic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

Britain as one of those jelly enemies that splits into two smaller enemies when you kill it is a very good metaphor. They’re boring, generic, and while quite annoying usually not so dangerous that you have to take them seriously.

Tories doing their best to make the UK split into smaller enemies.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Wow you're a weird idiot.

I originally had that post quoted but anyone who's already got you on ignore shouldn't be exposed to that bizarre irrelevant poo poo that you nonetheless manage to be an rear end in a top hat about.

"It's fine if things are poo poo because we're better than those foreigns."

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tesseraction posted:

Personally if I feel uncomfortable when the police come and talk to me I shout something Arabic sounding and run away safe in the knowledge that they won't arrest me for fear of seeming Islamaphobic.

I somehow have developed a habit of just replying "inshallah" when a chud starts yelling at me for being disabled/queer/anti-racist and I can't stop.

... I don't want to stop either as it turns out.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It's loving impressively stupid, setting the bar at "better than I imagine those foreigns to be".

Really, there's no limit to how much shittiness you can excuse with that if you're dense enough.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

calm down.

I actually prefer living here to some other places.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

I somehow have developed a habit of just replying "inshallah" when a chud starts yelling at me for being disabled/queer/anti-racist and I can't stop.

... I don't want to stop either as it turns out.

TBF where you live isn't that low number of vowels considered treason?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tesseraction posted:

TBF where you live isn't that low number of vowels considered treason?

Not as long as you sing it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vitamin P posted:

I realise you're an ethnonationalist idiot but a genuine Galaxy Brain Meme moment most politically aware people have at some point in their lives is that Britain is actually pretty good.

If your soul was floating down to earth and you were gonna be gay or trans then the UK would be a good spot to aim for. If you were gonna be a woman it would be a good spot to aim for. If you were gonna be disabled it would be a good spot to aim for. This is objectively true if measured against almost any other place a soul might happen to land.

Vitamin P accusing anyone else of being ethnonationalist is a hoot.

Britain is poo poo mate. That it's less poo poo than a lot of places doesn't change that. It's a nation of cruel, petty, small-minded bigots. Maybe that's just human nature and this is the best we can manage. That isn't reassuring.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/16/keir-starmer-leadership-urgent-course-correction-labour

Guardian article points out that since being elected:

- Starmer's picked an entirely pointless and unnecessary fight with the Labour left
- Wasted time defining himself as 'not being Corbyn' when this was blindingly obvious already
- Has failed to put the Tories on the defensive re: their blatant failures on Covid and Brexit
- Has articulated no clear vision of where he wants to take the country

It's all the stuff we've been saying for months, just a bit surprising to see it in the Guardian.

It's not just a 'Guardian article', it's a guest column by Starmer's loving leadership campaign director:

https://twitter.com/tomkibasi/status/1246381534287998976?s=21

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

forkboy84 posted:

Vitamin P accusing anyone else of being ethnonationalist is a hoot.

Britain is poo poo mate. That it's less poo poo than a lot of places doesn't change that. It's a nation of cruel, petty, small-minded bigots. Maybe that's just human nature and this is the best we can manage. That isn't reassuring.

Given Ash has clearly said, multiple times, that your ethnicity doesn't matter - and I have absolutely no reason to doubt that's a genuine conviction - that makes them a nationalist at worst, and Scottish nationalism seems to be mostly opposition to British and English nationalism.

Also better things ARE possible. Look at the EU. Generations upon generations upon generations of devastating warfare, inventing whole new forms of racism and creating systems to crush the unlucky - or chop their hands off for not making money fast enough. Along comes the EU and there's genuine human rights victories in a few decades. Sure, the EU's poo poo and hella neoliberal, but it's vastly better than the sum of its parts, never mind the sum of its parts when it was created.

United Kingdom? It isn't, is it. It was never good when it was, so no great loss.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gotta wonder if he's just in it for the grift or whether he was just unfathomably stupid and couldn't see the glaringly obvious in front of him tbh.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Flayer posted:

Corbyn lost because of weak political tactics and instincts (which is no knock against him as a person at all). For example in the debate with Johnson where he refused to have a clear view on Brexit and basically deferred the decision. In retrospect he would have been far better off saying "we have to respect the will of the people and leave" or the like and forgetting about appeasing the Lib Dem vote (even though personally I've always been very anti-Brexit and still am).

You know I was there at the time and I remember this clearly being Corbyns stance from the start before the 2017 election. But every one of his allies thought differentely and forced him to adopt that new stance, Owen Jones wrote a lot of stuff about it, John McDonnell went out against him on this point as well and Diane Abbot too.

This particular thing (brexit stance) I don't think people can shove off on Corbyn as his fault, since he had the right stance from the start, and only went with the majority view of those around him after like a solid year of bitching about it. Well they got what they wanted.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also the labour membership, it passed at conference, twice, and was ignored the first time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yep so everyone got what they wanted, in terms of policy, well except Corbyn.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Love too be told that I should be grateful to live on terf island, a place so rapidly and deeply attacking trans rights that more than half the trans people I know here have plans on how to get out because the rhetoric is already so fevered, and escalating so rapidly. And most of those who don't have such plans lack them because of a lack of means rather than faith in the country.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Ms Adequate posted:

Love too be told that I should be grateful to live on terf island, a place so rapidly and deeply attacking trans rights that more than half the trans people I know here have plans on how to get out because the rhetoric is already so fevered, and escalating so rapidly. And most of those who don't have such plans lack them because of a lack of means rather than faith in the country.

Can we still vote up a threadban?

Because I think they earned it this time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Also the labour membership, it passed at conference, twice, and was ignored the first time.
Yeah far too many of the Labour membership has/had FBPE branworms, and the rest of us didn't fight back hard enough and accepted it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

lol that Vitamin P thinks that's some profound moment of realisation rather than the default mainstream idea that's drilled into us from all angles from birth

Anyway, when people say "Britain" in that context they mean "Western Europe", we're not special. & when people mean Western Europe, what they actually mean is "places that benefit from colonialism", meaning that (a)it's not so much that it's a good region to be inside of, it's that it's a bad region to be outside of, and (b)directing that "aren't you lucky" specifically at marginalised groups is such a loving moronic take that only a Dunning-Kruger golem like Vitamin P could possibly come out with it

Ms A, it sucks that this is terf island but I'm glad that you are from here because it means you hang out with us, your posting pals, who respect your gender identity unconditionally & enjoy your company :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean... I'm sure when they polled it the labour party was overwhelmingly remain... At what point do you accept that the desire to be a part of the EU for whatever reason is a central value for the labour party? Given that it also tracks very strongly with age and we supposedly want to capitalize on the political energy of the young I don't really see how you can flick a switch and say "ok we want the anticapitalism but you have to make nice with the kippers because they won"

I don't think there is any way to make that sort of change in a short period of time and I also don't think that attempting is going to be seen as anything but yet another desire to exploit the labour and energy of people without giving them what they want. Which is a sensation that I viscerally detest and don't particularly think is a good idea to impose on anybody you have the faintest amount of respect for.

I don't particularly like the idea of utilizing the party machinery to dictate to the membership what they should be doing even if you frame it left wingishly. If people wanted to campaign for remain and see their desire for it reflected in the party's platform that is their right, and I don't see how we could realistically expect them to give that support without getting what they want in return.

Borrovan posted:

Ms A, it sucks that this is terf island but I'm glad that you are from here because it means you hang out with us, your posting pals, who respect your gender identity unconditionally & enjoy your company :)

Also this, an exodus of trans people would be an immesurable loss for the people left behind, whether they realise it or not.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 17, 2021

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
It was never a circle that was possible to square. That should already have been obvious in 2016, however.

It is true that Labour made a short-sighted miscalculation in 2016 in gambling that Remain would obviously win, which would suppress any dicey coalitional consequences anyway, and hence the tactical goal is mainly to avoid a ScotRef-style trap where the Tories drive an irreparable wedge between Labour and a sufficiently large chunk of its natural voting base by emphasizing the cultural contradictions within Labour's old and new voting cores. But this is if anything a remarkably small miscalculation next to then-Conservative leadership's own, of course, that Remain would obviously win &c. The contradiction only eventually destroyed Corbynism but it did immediately destroy Cameronism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Given how well the soft-Remain second referendum tactic worked it'd hardly be worse using all our energy in 2018 trying to convince that wing of Labour that the EU is a neocolonialist shitpile with the world's most racist borders than trying to convince Lib Dem voters whatever it was Starmer's wing was trying to convince them.

There's more important cultural and economic splits to focus on than the one that was obviously manufactured by the Tories and the right wing press as an endless sand trap.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
And also if I recall, despite the fact Labour lost because of their stance on a second referendum, they still got one of the highest vote counts in years. There were a lot of people who wanted that combined with the membership wanting it and it was reflected, it just was not enough to outweigh the others.

2017 was the only chance, really. Not enough media poisoning, not enough fatigue about brexit, not enough lies people shoved out by people. I did enjoy seeing Labour and Corbyn destroy Johnson's opening vote as PM over and over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could try to do that, yes, but I don't think you would manage to achieve enough to change the result. I think that a lot of people quite sincerely believe (and possibly not incorrectly) that in a choice between appeasing the brexit brigade and... not doing that, remaining in the EU is decidedly the better choice. I mean gently caress I think that because I voted remain and would have in a second referendum too. I don't think you can trivially just say "all that's wrong, eu bad, should leave" and expect to get anywhere especially in the environment of the leave position being the place where all the worst assholes in the world are congregating. And it is appeasement, is the thing. It is saying "oh well we won't do the brexit they want but we have to do a brexit because we have to respect their wishes" and I don't think anyone with strong opinions on the subject is going to somehow not pick up on that, and not be disgusted by it. We already had the problems with the leadership trying to co-opt the language of the right with the whole "EU membership means immigrants drive wages down" mess. People do not like that. And they aren't stupid, they can tell when you're doing it.

That's not... a manufactured thing? The leave position was and always has been the refuge of the absolute worst people in the country, people aren't putting it on when they don't want to be associated with that and they don't want to give ground to that. The leave/remain divide isn't invented, it's just another facet of a far more all encompassing divide in UK society.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 17, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Important to put in context imo that we're only so sure now that a second referendum was such a terrible idea with the benefit of hindsight. Personally, I thought it was a bad idea, until it became apparent that there was absolutely no way the centrists would allow a soft Brexit/customs union/whatever. That was the most likely way of stopping a hard Brexit, and when it became apparent that that was impossible, it was either digging our heels in knowing that we'd get whatever Boris wanted regardless, or a long shot at a 2nd ref. Imo the long shot was a fair gamble because of how much we stood to lose, even if it was very unlikely to happen, and (with the benefit of hindsight) worked out very badly for us.

However, it would've been nice if the centrists et al had just let us have a customs union. Considering the "et al" includes a lot of the Labour left membership though, it'd be a fairly dumb take to say "everyone should just have spontaneously decided en masse to agree with me, a brain genius", because that's just not how collective decisions work.

It's still the parliamentary Labour right/Lib Dems fault that a customs union couldn't get through Parliament though, there's a small enough number of them & they knew exactly what they were doing

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Personally devastated that my soul midichlorians landed in Ireland and I'm condemned to a life of looking across the water towards Wales and dreaming about what might have been my life.

So close :sigh:

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Borrovan posted:

We should just abbreviate all of them & call it Island. The archipelago can be called the Islish Isles.

Can't see that causing any problems.

The Paeodoph Isles

Or something like the Paid-off Isles?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Considering the "et al" includes a lot of the Labour left membership though, it'd be a fairly dumb take to say "everyone should just have spontaneously decided en masse to agree with me, a brain genius", because that's just not how collective decisions work.
Those of us who could have opposed that could have done so louder though, it did feel like any alternative was just being shut down with little opposition, and yes, it would have had to have been a collective raising of voices, but if enough voices raised I think it would have moved the middle.

Agree that the Lib Dems and Lab right deserve the majority of the blame for being poo poo but there's not much in comparison that I could have done about that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lmao remember the mural that unambiguously proved Corbyn was a rabid antisemite. Current darling of the right Gina Carano posted pretty much the exact same image and now Bari Weiss has given her a full pass for it:

quote:

The meme bears a striking resemblance to an infamous East London mural called “Freedom for Humanity” that Jeremy Corbyn defended from destruction. The faces in the original mural are different — hook-nosed, and more obviously the derogatory stereotype of Jewish faces, like Der Stürmer caricatures.

There are different standards—or ought to be—for actors, who get paid to play other people, and politicians, who serve the public and should know the history and implications of such an image. When the then-leader of the Labour Party objected to the destruction of that mural, it was in the context of a litany of other data points.

As I wrote in The New York Times in November 2018:

“He paid respects at the memorial of the Palestinian perpetrators of the 1972 Munich Olympics massacre. . . He participated for over a decade in the activities of a group called Deir Yassin Remembered, which was led by a Holocaust denier. He publicly defended a virulently antisemitic vicar named Stephen Sizer. He invited an Islamist preacher who believes Jews use gentile blood for religious reasons to tea at Parliament. And so on.”

Still, I wondered, was I wrong to have leapt to Carano’s support? Was this meme proof of a darker worldview?

So I reached out to Carano for answers.

What, I asked, was her intention when she shared that image? Did she know that it drew on antisemitic ideas and imagery?

“I was in utter shock and confusion when certain people said it was antisemitic,” she wrote me. “Then, as I went to take it down, I noticed that the image was not the same as the one people were referencing. I was honestly confused: should I take it down, or leave it up? I still don't know the answer to that question, because taking it down only makes the mob attack you more,” Carano said.

“The image for me was a statement that people need to stand together and rise up, stop being so manipulated by the powers that believe they know what's best for you and play games with our lives,” she wrote. “My heart has only ever had ultimate respect and love for the Jewish community.”

To me, at first glance, that image looks as if it’s a visual representation of the “Protocols of the Elders of Zion.” When old men, money, a globe and a secret meeting are in one picture, my mind screams “Jews!” But it seems that, to a lot of people, it genuinely does not, perhaps because there are no explicitly Jewish symbols.

“I know what antisemitism looks like, being one of the more prominent kippah-wearing people out there,” Ben Shapiro, who, according to the ADL, was the journalist most targeted by antisemitic hate during the 2016 election, told me. “This doesn’t chart. I don’t like the meme, especially given its origins. But antisemitism, like racism — and contrary to the NYT’s executive editor’s dictum — requires intent. Gina obviously didn’t have any such intent.”

“Gina isn’t antisemitic. Period. This meme is being ‘resurfaced’ as a post-facto justification for an unjustifiable cancellation,” he said. “Gina wasn’t aware of the origins of the original picture, and was devastated to hear about it, just as she has been devastated by the absurd and bad faith contention that she is antisemitic in any way.

I understand why Carano feels torn about taking down the image: there’s no winning. Leave it up and you’re bad. Take it down and you’re bad, since it’s an admission of guilt. ”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

quote:

There are different standards—or ought to be—for actors, who get paid to play other people, and politicians, who serve the public and should know the history and implications of such an image.

This is just code for "there are different standards for Jeremy corbyns and non-Jeremy corbyns"