Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Dalaram posted:

Nope. Just nope. I can’t see poo poo like this while my rectangular enlarged living coffin continues to be my sole source of home.

At least the roofing and cross beams means we can have a nice house aesthetic without having to actually be creative :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I spent the weekend with Assassin's Creed Valhalla because Lunar New Year and Viking Brain.

Valheim is a better viking game for viking brain.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sailed further south, and came across another unfinished biome: the Ashlands. This one was actually populated! By Surtlings :suicide:

Had to retreat because they kept spawning, and I was running low on ammo, but not before I snagged a little souvenir.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Oh neat, time to go sailing and find it for the future.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoy the fact buildings need structural supports. Load bearing half wall

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
There are some insanely good builds on the subreddit. Meanwhile, my brother and I are more focused on progression and every base we make is a basic rear end shack just big enough for beds and comfort items, with crafting stations placed haphazardly outside. It's a testament to the game's design that both of these playstyles are really well catered for.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bardeh posted:

There are some insanely good builds on the subreddit. Meanwhile, my brother and I are more focused on progression and every base we make is a basic rear end shack just big enough for beds and comfort items, with crafting stations placed haphazardly outside. It's a testament to the game's design that both of these playstyles are really well catered for.

Keep in mind that building nice stuff like rugs and banners will raise the comfort level of your base which grants more time to your ‘rested’ buff

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Keep in mind that building nice stuff like rugs and banners will raise the comfort level of your base which grants more time to your ‘rested’ buff

Yep, that's what I meant by comfort items. We slap them around haphazardly too just for the buff.

I imagine once we've beaten the current content we might actually build something that looks cool.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Cool, our dedicated server dropped everything from our world - can see what we have explored but all buildings are gone

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

SquirrelGrip posted:

Cool, our dedicated server dropped everything from our world - can see what we have explored but all buildings are gone

That sucks man. I've started making periodic backups of our world to avoid this.

:(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Two things.

First what do you do with broken tools?

Second...the leveling tool is whack. I know I need to do it near my feet but drat man it needs some work!

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Two things.

First what do you do with broken tools?

Second...the leveling tool is whack. I know I need to do it near my feet but drat man it needs some work!

At a workbench or forge click the hammer icon when you use the bench to craft something - it's too the left of the menus.

Levelling tool flattens ground relative to the area you're standing on, best way to level an area is to pick a point and sweep back and forth while not moving, or click every half a second as you move in a line. If you press L-Shift it will flatten ground relative to where the cursor is.

AFAIK it picks height from the inner of the two circles, and affects the outer circle.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Also, the leveling only works within a certain "range" of heights. You may need to fill in ground that is too low or pickaxe ground that is too high.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

A friend of mine on our server has his priorities straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMeE5XhR2Bs

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 17, 2021

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I logged in to my singleplayer save to resume a seagoing expedition to relocate to a new base, and discovered that my longship and all its contents had vanished, plunging me directly into the water. I've seen mention upthread that Cheat Engine works for this game - are there any guides to how to use it for Valheim? This is about a week's worth of time investment for me, so if there's any possibility of recovery I'm going to take it.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Kestral posted:

I logged in to my singleplayer save to resume a seagoing expedition to relocate to a new base, and discovered that my longship and all its contents had vanished, plunging me directly into the water. I've seen mention upthread that Cheat Engine works for this game - are there any guides to how to use it for Valheim? This is about a week's worth of time investment for me, so if there's any possibility of recovery I'm going to take it.

you can use console cheats to spawn in items on non dedicated servers

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Red Herring posted:

At a workbench or forge click the hammer icon when you use the bench to craft something - it's too the left of the menus.

Levelling tool flattens ground relative to the area you're standing on, best way to level an area is to pick a point and sweep back and forth while not moving, or click every half a second as you move in a line. If you press L-Shift it will flatten ground relative to where the cursor is.

AFAIK it picks height from the inner of the two circles, and affects the outer circle.

Thanks! It’s not super intuitive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Midgetskydiver posted:

That sucks man. I've started making periodic backups of our world to avoid this.

The docker version of the server does auto backups (puts the whole worlds directory into a zip), defaults to 3 days worth every hour.

https://github.com/lloesche/valheim-server-docker

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

jarofpiss posted:

you can use console cheats to spawn in items on non dedicated servers

Oh dang lemme get dem cheat codes!

I wanna build a forge in my single player island that has zero progress done with it because ive been on friends worlds since day 1

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

First time forming a multiplayer copper mining party with two friends tonight and goddamn them dwarves do not gently caress around with rushing you if you're in a group. I was used to soloing it and just getting a couple blue eyed ones every few minutes.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
I didnt have a chance to respond to everyone but I appreciate the help! I got it going finally! Game is a ton of fun!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MOTHERFUCKING PORTALS BEING CASE SENSITIVE CAN EAT MY rear end gently caress gently caress I WASTED SO MUCH TIME

The_Skeeter
Jan 28, 2007
I put the mayo in Patty Mayonnaise
Is there a goon Valheim server 👀

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Can you eat from the inventory or does it have to be on the hot bar?

Like having to use 2 slots just for pants and shirt kinda sucks.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Can you eat from the inventory or does it have to be on the hot bar?

Like having to use 2 slots just for pants and shirt kinda sucks.

Just right click all those things, don't need to be in number slots

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

Frustrating but after spending two nights searching swamps for crypts and finding none I’m ok with a new world, keeping character inventory is a decent enough head start.

The host I use has setup their own fallback when they started getting tickets in so that’s nice

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Afterbirth Aftermath posted:

You can right click from chests too, which is nice. Top off with a snack before heading out on the road.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Afterbirth Aftermath posted:

Ah ok.

I’m using a controller so I’ll have to figure out what key that is.

It’s probably a stick click I haven’t tried.

Thanks!

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
I was phone posting before but yeah, just to be clear you don't need to put armor in your top spots to wear them

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Troll Trophy on the item mount is :discourse:

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Can anyone speak to rumors I've heard about forges not refunding 100% of the material used to build them when deconstructed, or any other similar cases?

I had some friends earlier tonight saying they were getting one wood out of deconstructed wood piles.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

The current thinking is that structures need to be at 100% health to give you a full refund.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'm out here building little shacks and lean to's, and these motherfuckers are building poo poo that looks straight out of Rivendell :sigh:

GruntyThrst posted:

The current thinking is that structures need to be at 100% health to give you a full refund.

I've definitely had instances where I've broken down crafting benches and a bunch of the mats never showed up, and then when I log back in they're sitting exactly where they should have dropped. I dunno if it's an issue with them getting stuck in/on building geometry or what, but it's worth trying before re-grinding whatever poo poo is missing.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 17, 2021

Ivan Dolvich
Oct 14, 2004

Shit bag. I use all ammunition for weapon

Scoss posted:

Can anyone speak to rumors I've heard about forges not refunding 100% of the material used to build them when deconstructed, or any other similar cases?

I had some friends earlier tonight saying they were getting one wood out of deconstructed wood piles.

I've deconstructed my forge several times and never had an issue. Wood piles lose health in the rain so that could be the reason.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Scoss posted:

Most people stack wood piles outside, in the elements. You'll need to hit them with your hammer before deconstructing them, or store them under a roof.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is Fishing worth it? I saved up my funbucks and already bought the other merchant stuff, so stuffing my pockets with bait is no big deal, but there's so much to do that I dunno if I should be prioritizing it or not.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Fishing worth it? I saved up my funbucks and already bought the other merchant stuff, so stuffing my pockets with bait is no big deal, but there's so much to do that I dunno if I should be prioritizing it or not.

It only takes a few minutes to nab 6-10 fish, which compare favorably to meat and let you save meat for sausages and stew.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Have sailed a small chunk north and west looking for swamps. The merchant still eludes me. I started heading east but the first small island I landed on swam away from me so I nope'd back because I don't think I can solo a sea serpent easily before a karve breaks so I'm hesitant to spend too long in open ocean. The south still remains. I'm hoping he's not like way off on the outside of the map.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Otacon posted:

Most people stack wood piles outside, in the elements. You'll need to hit them with your hammer before deconstructing them, or store them under a roof.

I’ve deconstructed wood piles after repairing them and gotten 1 wood back. They’re basically a gamble atm, just make a chest instead, they take up way less space anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I am still early game, finished the first boss and just starting to forge metal. And... Wow was getting there a pain. I spent hours wandering through the woods to find dungeons and the first one had a grant total of one (1) core inside of it. I failed to find any more dungeons in that entire patch of black forest but eventually found more on the far side of my starting island.

Nine cores, I should not complain, but the sheer level of RNG there is crazy. Also now I need to haul back all of the tin and copper I stockpiled at my mini-base near the dungeon and that stuff is heavy. I wish there was a wheelbarrow or sled or something to let you drag heavy loads when not exploring.